Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I saw this episode of House, schizophrenia-like symptoms are awesome.

Who wants to live on frozen cheeseburgers?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Saw this at the Boston Opera House yesterday

I have done basically this before, there was an office with two ethernet drops on one side of the room and the neighboring office on the other side had zero. Customer wasn't willing to wait for us to get our wiring guys out there, they had of course hired the person without thinking about the fact that they need a useful office to work in. Jack on either side of the shared wall connected together plus a patch cable tucked against the floorboards running around the office with two existing jacks equals a half-assed working network install for the short term.

Unbelievably they actually went back and did it right the next week rather than just leaving the lovely hack in place forever.

Doing it on the same wall doesn't really make sense though, I'm not sure why that might have happened unless it was just someone left a dangling cord and someone else decided it needed to be plugged in somewhere.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Antimicrobial? All the more reason they should have done a hex pattern with the pennies! :pseudo:

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

This is likely a door in a psychiatric ward, so that staff can get access while still giving the patient some privacy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Laminator posted:

This is likely a door in a psychiatric ward, so that staff can get access while still giving the patient some privacy.

Only a crazy person would see that as privacy.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Platystemon posted:

Only a crazy person would see that as privacy.

:downsrim:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
From this month's failarmy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLPJsKXAFbw&t=50s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So I guess they were trying to save on scaffolding by not building it in place? Seems to me renting scaffolding wouldn't have been that much more expensive than the crane :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Another fun fact about copper: Sheep are very sensitive to it. Goats however need a much higher level of copper in their diets. So keeping sheep and goats together can be tricky, because a goat dose of copper in their feed could kill a sheep. So be careful with their supplements, and never give goat stuff to sheep!

Reply with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' to be removed from Interesting Sheep And Goat Facts Of The Minute.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Suspect Bucket posted:

Reply with 'UNSUBSCRIBE' to be removed from Interesting Sheep And Goat Facts Of The Minute.

Never.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'd want a pennied countertop if I could pull this off.

http://i.imgur.com/RJY6XTZ.jpg

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the real problem with penny floors is the frequent lack of ambition?

I wish this wasn't some terrible, grainy pintrest post because it has the potential to be really cool or really terrible depending on how it was pulled off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

there wolf posted:

:eyepop:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

I wish this wasn't some terrible, grainy pintrest post because it has the potential to be really cool or really terrible depending on how it was pulled off.

I'm strangely impressed by these floors.

morethanjake32
Apr 5, 2009

Ugh, this is why you didn't rig to one point like that. [Not that it was a great plan in the first place]

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It comes from Reddit...

First, someone posts this

https://i.imgur.com/HwpJ059.gifv

and someone makes an intelligent rebuttal about it

quote:

I'm a residential carpenter/builder, I run a framing crew. This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. This is so inferior to standard framing that I am mildly furious that it exists.
For one it uses way more material, exterior sheathing on a typical exterior wall is 7/16" OSB, the stock they are using above looks to be 7/8" or 5/4". It also looks as though the bastardized studs with dovetails are run on an 8" layout, instead of 16" or 24". Add to that the interior walls are sheathed with wood instead of drywall which adds to material cost. So in terms of just raw wood used in walls this build uses at least twice as much as standard wood framing. You might say its faster since you have a finished wood exterior on this build, vs needing to side on a conventional, but guess what, unless you put a vapor barrier on the exterior that wood is gonna be completely and totally hosed inside and out in a very short time.
Next, sawdust as insulation...where to start...I can't tell if the worst aspect of the idea is the mold, the insects, the flammability, or the plain and simple fact that to generate that much sawdust you're either carting it to the site from the lumber mill or sending some rear end in a top hat out in the woods with a belt sander and wishing him good luck. Pink fiberglass is pretty flame retardant, so is drywall, so is standard framing with fire stopping between cavities, floors, and attic areas. Fiberglass also traps much less water, so less mold issues, and I'm pretty sure nothing on this planet can eat fiberglass or drywall so insects aren't as much of an issue either. Even if you don't want to use fiberglass there are tons of cheap materials that would be far far superior to sawdust. If this idea were your standard level of idiotic this might be the worst aspect of the design. But the stupid dial has been turned up to 11, so it gets worse.
I don't mess with plumbing, but I've pulled wires and installed lights and plugs. I can't imagine how you'd run wire in this mess. I've gotta believe they are pulling wires as they proceed with framing, instead of after, which means you need two separate trades coordinating simultaneously on the same wall. Add plumbing and HVAC, which would likely have to go in simultaneously as well, and you've created a cluster gently caress pissing contest of trades all trying to hack their poo poo into a complex wall that they won't have easy access to later if something was to be wrong, which something inevitably will. Building is all about coordinating different trades, getting machines and materials where they need to be when they need to be there, communicating changes, scheduling. This build is inefficient, inefficient is expensive.
Lastly, and what irritates me most is how painfully, stupidly, ridiculously slow this would be. An 8 foot wide by 8 foot tall wall on a regular house is gonna have 7 studs, a bottom plate, and one or two top plates depending if its stack framing. All that will be covered in two 4' by 8' sheets of plywood and some tyvec on one side, and two sheets of 4' by 8' drywall on the other. That is 13 or 14 different pieces of material total for one normal wall. For an 8 by 8 wall on this build, a face is sheathed in 24" by 8" inch boards, so that'd be 32 pieces, 64 to sheath both sides, then there'd be 78 of the bastardized stud things, for 142 total pieces. This thing has ten times as many boards as a normal wall. Add to that the guy in rubber gloves painting mystery poo poo and I'm calling shenanigans. Basically, give me a slab the same area as that house, with the same windows and doors, give me a circular saw, a nail gun, tape measure, pencil, hammer, chalk line, speed square, knife and some nails and I alone could frame the entire place faster than it took this group of four or five miserable bastards.
So, to sum up, this wall is more flammable, less resistant to mold and insects, more difficult to build, requires more materials in general, the cost of those materials is higher on average, it's much more complex, and it takes longer to build. What is the advantage?...I mean why, just why? This thing transcends the plains of stupidity and reaches beyond the precipices of moronic into the clouds of completely and totally hosed . It's like if a bunch of bad ideas had a giant orgy, then the offspring from that orgy incestuously reproduced for a couple generations, this is the dumbest kid at that family reunion.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

That isn't a house, that's just a start to a really great bonfire.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The advantage is :byodood: you don't need nails :byodood:

And that's it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

God help you if the tolerances are off on some of those parts and you have to mill them to fit. Or they dry/soak and change shape so you get a bunch of warped wood putting stresses on other warped wood and leaking sawdust everywhere.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

God help you if the tolerances are off on some of those parts and you have to mill them to fit.
Sounds like free insulation! :byoscience:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The advantage is :byodood: you don't need nails :byodood:

And that's it.

Then again, that's how the Japaneese ended up with such insane joinery.

That does look like it would burn like crazy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Suspect Bucket posted:

Then again, that's how the Japaneese ended up with such insane joinery.

That does look like it would burn like crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwP_kXyd-Rw&t=50s

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

If the fire doesn't get it I'm sure the termites will
Sawdust as an insulator sounds like hansel and gretel finding the gingerbread house.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 26, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That whole house reeks of an engineer solving a problem that didn't exist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

That whole house reeks of an engineer solving a problem that didn't exist.

This is clearly the work of a designer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You can also tell from the framerate increases in the video that tapping those sheathes down the pseudo-stud dovetails is a slow, slow process.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You know, if you wanted to build a house out of a modular, block-like object without nails, we already have something like that.

They're called bricks. They don't burn. And the wolf can't huff and puff and blow them down, either.

What do you suppose is the R value on that sawdust before it catches fire? -2?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
We're even going to have brick-laying robots building our houses Real Soon Now™!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bricks don’t grow on trees.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

It's like they saw Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF) and said 'that looks like a cool building method, but concrete and polystyrene are Bad For The Environment - I know, I have an idea to make it eco-friendly' but without understanding building things.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

You know, if you wanted to build a house out of a modular, block-like object without nails, we already have something like that.

They're called bricks. They don't burn. And the wolf can't huff and puff and blow them down, either.

What do you suppose is the R value on that sawdust before it catches fire? -2?

But then you'd need mortar. And a mason. And probably a carpenter for some kind of framing inside the brick unless you want all your electrical, plumbing and HVAC exposed industrial loft style, but then this house doesn't have those to begin with...

Holy poo poo, it's a house without trades.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

There's basically a 0% chance this thing meets code anywhere in the world with building codes, right?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I thought concrete was actually sequestering a not-insignificant amount of carbon?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I thought concrete was actually sequestering a not-insignificant amount of carbon?

No.

Something like 5% of world carbon dioxide emissions come from concrete.

To be fair, mankind has produced more concrete than any other material in history.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
This was what I read. Seems like concrete reclaimes some co2

https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/the-crumbling-cement-around-you-is-soaking-up-carbon-dioxide/

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Old concrete does but the process to make cement produces about 5-8% of the world's CO2 emissions per year. Geopolymeric cements use a different chemical reaction so they're much greener. E-crete is I think one of the brands you can get.

Alternatively, you can reduce the amount of traditional cement needed by using fly ash, but incidentally that's a coal-fired plant byproduct so as coal is phased out there will not be a supply of it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Well, the nice thing about having sawdust insulation and no plumbing is that you can just poo poo in the walls and everything will be just fine!*

Even better, it will all compost down, providing radiant heat, then at the end of it all you'll have fancy rammed-earth walls you can grow a vertical garden in!

I should probably stop before I give someone ideas. This whole thing is starting to sound like some clever clogs' deadly DIY reclaimed materials project.

*everything will not be fine

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 26, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, the nice thing about having sawdust insulation and no plumbing is that you can just poo poo in the walls and everything will be just fine!*

Even better, it will all compost down, providing radiant heat, then at the end of it all you'll have fancy rammed-earth walls you can grow a vertical garden in!

I should probably stop before I give someone ideas. This whole thing is starting to sound like some clever clogs' deadly DIY reclaimed materials project.

Everything will be fine.

Whoever's in that house will be okay with the events that will unfold.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spog posted:

It's like they saw Insulated Concrete Formwork (ICF) and said 'that looks like a cool building method, but concrete and polystyrene are Bad For The Environment - I know, I have an idea to make it eco-friendly' but without understanding building things.

Polystyrene is bad because it lasts forever, which is dumb for something being used to pack consumer goods. But lasting forever seems cool and good for a house? As long as the house is standing the foam won't be floating around getting eaten by ducks or whatever.