Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The atmosphere in the pub is absolutely delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress yes. loving gently caress yes.

This is why you play all Glasgow.

Yeeeesssssssssssss

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

this was a very good game

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
How long will Johnny Sexton be on the field before his first head injury? I'm betting 38 minutes, a brutal French charge going right over him just before the half.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
This guy's quicker than Anne.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dodgy cross field kick that, he could have hosed them. Very French.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About half the Irish line was offside then.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Serin is p good at the dart.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dunno why Zebo did that unless he thought he could drag it right the way back into play.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This looks in danger of going all agricultural.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Will be interesting to see the reviews of George North's performance today. He was pretty anonymous, which seems to be having increasingly frequently, but always seems to get a pass for it. Luckily most of the rest of the team played typically badly, so maybe it won't be noticed.
One thing is for sure, a lot of the welsh players are rapidly playing themselves out of consideration for the lions tour. The only good performances (Warburton, Jones) seem to be the positions that are most competitive.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ali Williams and James O'Connor were arrested while purchasing cocaine outside of a nightclub in central Paris.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is not the drugs scandal I was expecting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good try. Nicely designed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Possibly a double movement?

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Was that a double movement? Seemed to move his whole body forward? Either way, good to see France behind again :)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can never remember what the current interpretation is.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

goatface posted:

Also they seem to give a bit of leniency in the "act of scoring" just to confuse things a bit more.

Tight game again, faith in Ireland to pull it out though.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

goatface posted:

Thought reaching forward was fine, but moving your body forward was out. Either way, Ireland deserve the points.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looking at the replay now, he was on top of a big enough pile of people that I don't think he ever counted as grounded before he made the movement.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

If you can reach over the tryline without moving your body, it's fine. If your body moves forward but it's momentum from the act of try-scoring (like sliding along the turf or being pushed over by a team mate), it's fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are you allowed to roll to free your arms?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
loving scrum fuckery eating the game.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

Are you allowed to roll to free your arms?

Never seen anyone do that, tbh.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I have been watching the Eagles in the Americas Rugby Championship. What can I say, it's fun to watch them win?

The best part of watching has to be Chris Baumann's mustache and mullet. There's no way there's a finer Kentucky Waterfall in international rugby than his.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Stitecin posted:

I have been watching the Eagles in the Americas Rugby Championship. What can I say, it's fun to watch them win?

The best part of watching has to be Chris Baumann's mustache and mullet. There's no way there's a finer Kentucky Waterfall in international rugby than his.

and that's probably also the entirety of US accomplishments in international rugby.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

stavros880 posted:

Will be interesting to see the reviews of George North's performance today. He was pretty anonymous, which seems to be having increasingly frequently, but always seems to get a pass for it. Luckily most of the rest of the team played typically badly, so maybe it won't be noticed.
One thing is for sure, a lot of the welsh players are rapidly playing themselves out of consideration for the lions tour. The only good performances (Warburton, Jones) seem to be the positions that are most competitive.

That's been North's MO for about 2 seasons now.
Anonymous with the odd one or two games of quality and falls off far too many tackles for someone of his size.

I think a few of the Welsh team will be in the squad but most like Halfpenny, Webb and North won't make the test team.
Warburton, AWJ and Jonathon Davies are the only ones looking Lions test quality at the moment.

I'm all aboard the Hogg train now, he is on a different level to the other Full-backs in contention.

Considering the general quality across all the teams I think the Lions squad will be one of the best for a good few tours, but the test team will still fall short.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

DickEmery posted:

That's been North's MO for about 2 seasons now.
Anonymous with the odd one or two games of quality and falls off far too many tackles for someone of his size.

I think a few of the Welsh team will be in the squad but most like Halfpenny, Webb and North won't make the test team.
Warburton, AWJ and Jonathon Davies are the only ones looking Lions test quality at the moment.

I'm all aboard the Hogg train now, he is on a different level to the other Full-backs in contention.

Considering the general quality across all the teams I think the Lions squad will be one of the best for a good few tours, but the test team will still fall short.

The Lions are kind of England writ large. Shitloads of 8/10 and 9/10 players, comparatively few 10/10 players.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

BabyFur Denny posted:

and that's probably also the entirety of US accomplishments in international rugby.

Yes, well I suppose that's good for everyone else.

There are nearly 320 million of us, and we still have the biggest economy in the world (for now) so if we suddenly started to collectively care I'm fairly certain we'd have a good chance of dominating within a generation. Even if we couldn't we'd just start a pro league and pay all the world's best players to come here like we do in baseball, basketball, and hockey; then we'd declare whichever team wins our championship the World's Champion.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The Lions squad and team will be full of Welsh players because they will have a good 20 minutes against Italy so Gatland will take that as a return to form and leave out consistently better performing players from the other nations.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The Lions squad and team will be full of Welsh players because they will have a good 20 minutes against Italy so Gatland will take that as a return to form and leave out consistently better performing players from the other nations.

Yeah my reaction to the result, after the initial rush of euphoria, was that Gatland would be pretty annoyed at the Welsh team for making it so embarrassing for him to inevitably pick 12 of them for the Lions anyway.

Also Scotland ranked 5th in the world: what a time to be alive.

tarbrush posted:

The Lions are kind of England writ large. Shitloads of 8/10 and 9/10 players, comparatively few 10/10 players.

The pain for the rest of us is that England could lose their first choice player in every position and still pick a squad of 8/10 and 9/10 players. Hell, if they were reduced to third choice pick for each spot they would still be strong favourites for at least a second place spot.

Endie fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 26, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Back of the envelope list of people who look like a solid bet for the lions squad:

M Vunipola
T Furlong
WP Nel if fit

J George (ironic but true)

AWJones
Kruis
Itoje
Launchbury

Warburton
CJ Stander
S OBrien
B Vunipola
Maybe Hamish Watson? Idunno
Heaslip

C Murray
R Webb
one English scrumhalf

Sexton
Farrell

H Jones
Daly
Hayne
J Joseph maybe?
Ringrose

L Williams
T Seymour
J May
probably A Watson

Hoggy

Even some of those I'm not sure about. It's all up in the air.

bigfoot again fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 26, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Also Courtney Lawes should be in the squad but other people disagree with me for inexplicable reasons.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
No CJ Stander?

Also Rhys is apparently co-captaining bath today. I have no idea who thought co captaining was a thing or that Rhys should in some way be part of it.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

No CJ Stander?

Also Rhys is apparently co-captaining bath today. I have no idea who thought co captaining was a thing or that Rhys should in some way be part of it.

Forgot Stander, he'll be a contender for the tests

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

bigfoot again posted:

Forgot Stander, he'll be a contender for the tests

Jonny Gray will probably be on the plane, not sure if he'll make the test team but I can't see his workrate and that he's one of the best defensive players in the NH at the moment being overlooked, though competition for places is really tough. (Well I can because it's Gatland but it shouldn't be)

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 26, 2017

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Vaders Jester posted:

Jonny Gray will probably be on the plane, not sure if he'll make the test team but I can't see his workrate and that he's one of the best defensive players in the NH at the moment being overlooked, though competition for places is really tough. (Well I can because it's Gatland but it shouldn't be)

There are gonna be some good locks staying home. It's the most competitive position in the squad

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Yeah, the quality in the locks and the backrow is crazy at the moment.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Aaaaaand we lost on a Priestland missed conversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

A deserved victory for Bristol

the atmosphere in the stadium is just amazing, hasn't been this good since the championship finals