Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Jedit posted:

You mean imagine the Tory/UKIP coalition taking us out of the EU without a referendum?

I'm imagining UKIP having 90 seats and smacking my lips.

154 is the third album by the English post-punk band Wire, released in 1979 (see 1979 in music) on EMI imprint Harvest Records in the UK and Europe and Warner Bros. Records in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what is corbyn doing right now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

what is corbyn doing right now?

Giving a speech about the recent upset to the Scottish Labour Party in Perth.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ewe2 posted:

This is hilarious, May a 'centrist'. This is the same BS being tried here in Australia by our Opposition and it actually works. Never mind it's so far from the truth it's silly, in the horse-race sense, it's a solid tactic and hard to fight.

Its not hard for them to paint her as a centrist. They get to compare her to commie hat beard weirdo Dear Leader.

Everything is to the right of him, so all right wingers get to be 'centrists.'

If they had to compare themselves to an actual centrist or center-left leader, they'd have more trouble claiming the center ground.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hakimashou posted:

If they had to compare themselves to an actual centrist or center-left leader, they'd have more trouble claiming the center ground.

:thejoke:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HJB posted:

I'm imagining UKIP having 90 seats and smacking my lips.

154 is the third album by the English post-punk band Wire, released in 1979 (see 1979 in music) on EMI imprint Harvest Records in the UK and Europe and Warner Bros. Records in America.

It's a good record but I prefer their first two albums.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/stvnews/status/835755416609042432

Controversial to say it in England.

Courageous to say it in Scotland.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

quote:

And Mr Watson, told ITV1's Peston on Sunday that Mr Corbyn's "cheerleaders" should stand by him "in the bad times as well as the good".
He said the team who got Mr Corbyn elected for a second time - following a challenge to his leadership last summer - "seem to be peeling away from him".
"Where's [Unite union general secretary] Len McCluskey defending his leader in a difficult time?" he asked.
Mr Watson said that it should not be mainly his responsibility, as someone "who represents a different tradition in the Labour Party", to be standing up for Mr Corbyn.

Oh my.

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/stvnews/status/835755416609042432

Controversial to say it in England.

Courageous to say it in Scotland.

Well I mean they might as well just close scottish labours offices now. They won't be needing them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/835824554358542338

Good work Jeremy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/msmithsonpb/status/835825874750566405

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I genuinely wonder what would happen if there was a byelection in a safe labour city constituency at this point. Somewhere like Hackney that went so hard remain.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

just in time

Scottish Labour probably aren't the best placed to find a solution

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What would happen is the exact same round of shite excuses.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Because if you can't get the correct answer to the question you want (should Labour oppose leaving) twist the question until you get a different answer and claim it means the same thing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Because if you can't get the correct answer to the question you want (should Labour oppose leaving) twist the question until you get a different answer and claim it means the same thing.

They've been asking that same question for months.

Guess who thinks labour shouldnt oppose leavkng? Ukip.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
A 71-23 split is more than a reworded question.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
There's a massive difference between thinking we were wrong to vote to leave and thinking we should ignore the referendum result.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lord of the Llamas posted:

There's a massive difference between thinking we were wrong to vote to leave and thinking we should ignore the referendum result.

Watch the two get closer and marvel at Jeremy's idiocy.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

My God, just look at that trend.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Yup. I'm in that 71% that think it's wrong to leave the EU. On the other hand, I do not want the results of the referendum discounted. That's democracy. Though poo poo.

On the other, other hand, if Scotland has a referendum on the membership to the UK and wins its independence, then I hope Corbyn will abide by their wishes. Given his stances thus far I'm sure he will, though he might campaign against them leaving.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

Watch the two get closer and marvel at Jeremy's idiocy.

If we had Owen Smith and the Pissflaps policy on Brexit we would've lost Stoke as well as Copeland.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Good takedown by Tory newspaper The Mirror of those Team Corbyn Copeland excuses.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This is just a list of the various factors she mentioned, most of which without even any comment let alone rebuttal. I'm not sure how that constitutes a 'takedown'.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

"We don't need to actually help constituencies outside of London, we just need Owen Smith as leader." - Pissflaps

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Praseodymi posted:

"We don't need to actually help constituencies outside of London, we just need Owen Smith as leader." - Pissflaps

That's not something I've said or suggested. Youre a liar.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

jabby posted:

This is absurd. I get wanting to defend Corbyn but show some rational thought. His stance on Brexit is absolute poison with the people who actually vote Labour, & the people who don't simply don't believe him.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I thought the definition of working class was whether they own a flat cap, and also wear it unironically.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

forkboy84 posted:

This is absurd. I get wanting to defend Corbyn but show some rational thought. His stance on Brexit is absolute poison with the people who actually vote Labour, & the people who don't simply don't believe him.

You're wasting your breath.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

If you want to know if Labour should oppose Brexit, you can ask that. In fact they have asked that, and the results showed support for a soft Brexit as the least divisive option.

The poll posted, about whether or not Britain was right to vote leave, is not the same question. The only reason to ask it rather than ask a more accurate one is if you want a result that you can make support your conclusion. As Kokoro Wish said, it clearly misrepresents some opinions.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Jeza posted:

I thought the definition of working class was whether they own a flat cap, and also wear it unironically.

i own two. does that make me double working class or too rich anymore

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

If you want to know if Labour should oppose Brexit, you can ask that. In fact they have asked that, and the results showed support for a soft Brexit as the least divisive option.

Those results show that 'no Brexit' would please most labour voters, and a hard Brexit - which Corbyn ran a three line whip on voting for - the fewest.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Those results show that 'no Brexit' would please most labour voters.

'Most' implies more than half. It would please 45%.

Over a soft Brexit it would please/delight an extra 9%, at the cost of angering an extra 13%. Doesn't really seem like it would improve fortunes.

In any case it's certainly a more accurate poll than simply asking whether or not Britain was right to leave, and twisting that to imply what people want to do now.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ignoring it would be silly.

the Irish government did not ignore the result of the 2008 Lisbon treaty referendum; the Columbian government have not ignored the results of last year's peace deal referendum.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Hard Brexit - which Corbyn ran a three line whip on voting for - pleases the fewest labour voters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Those results show that 'no Brexit' would please most labour voters, and a hard Brexit - which Corbyn ran a three line whip on voting for - the fewest.

Then they asked whether Labour should oppose Brexit or not, and the answer was 48-39 'no'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

So over half think they should, or don't mind either way.

Supporting Brexit ensure that labour shares the blame for a bad Brexit and gets none of the credit if it goes less badly than many expect. It's stupid as gently caress. Corbyn is dumb as hell lol.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Hard Brexit - which Corbyn ran a three line whip on voting for - pleases the fewest labour voters.

You're gonna have to provide some evidence that many people other than you consider Labour to be supporting hard Brexit, against everything Labour have actually been saying.

Pissflaps posted:

For someone who loves beating up strawman Corbyn supporters for saying polls don't matter, there isn't an ironicat big enough.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

You're gonna have to provide some evidence that many people other than you consider Labour to be supporting hard Brexit, against everything Labour have actually been saying.
Who the gently caress cares what they're saying, they had a three line whip on a no-amendment, if May disagrees we're loving off under WTO rules Brexit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You can equally say that over half don't mind if they do let Brexit happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

You can equally say that over half don't mind if they do let Brexit happen.
I wonder if the strong messaging by the government had anything to do with this.

• Locked thread