Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006
Does anyone know what exact time BotW will be available to download on the Wii U? Since there's no video game store in my town I'm wondering if I should trust Best Buy Canada to mail it out Friday vs. just downloading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WHY SEE ESS posted:

Does anyone know what exact time BotW will be available to download on the Wii U? Since there's no video game store in my town I'm wondering if I should trust Best Buy Canada to mail it out Friday vs. just downloading it.

It should be available at 12AM eastern time, and there'll probably be a pre-load option on Thursday.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

TFRazorsaw posted:

spoilers for the best thing

Who needs horses?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Where are people finding these funny gifs?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where are people finding these funny gifs?

All those preview vids various reviewers put out. A couple may be from E3/treehouse stuff too.

Also yeah a store in Mexico totally leaked the game since someone just posted a picture of it, the disc, box, etc for the wii u version. It'll probably get up on the internet no later than sunday night. Just means I'll stay off the internet a bit more and keep trying to finish Skyward Sword. Just finished Lanaryu Mine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So apparently this Zelda actually has a real honest to god plot, like with real characterization and everything. At least that's what I'm hearing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So apparently this Zelda actually has a real honest to god plot, like with real characterization and everything. At least that's what I'm hearing.

You say that as if Majora's Mask and Wind Waker didn't. :colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rime posted:

You say that as if Majora's Mask and Wind Waker didn't. :colbert:

Oh they absolutely do. They have the best two storylines of any Zelda. Of the two however, Wind Waker's doesn't feel like it was concocted to give gameplay context. Instead, Wind Waker wanted to tell a story that culminated in "the conventions of this series need to go away". It was pretty rad.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

axeil posted:

how does it compare to the greatest story in any zelda game: majora's mask?

being serious here, majora's mask has a really great story/world. i know nothing about botw because i'm afraid of it being like skyward sword all over again and getting hyped only to spend the whole game convincing myself i was actually enjoying it instead of it feeling tedious.

It's from Gamexplain, so take it with a grain of salt, but in their big BotW preview video they said it compared to MM very well, with big villages with a lot to do and discover in them. They even mentioned that the children in one village play different games depending on what day it is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

I mean, even though Majora's Mask was mainly about the overworld and the people, and that was, honestly, fantastic, they STILL cared enough to put in four interesting dungeons that would each unlock new places in order, giving you a clear sense of progression through the game.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ok guy but breath of the wild is literally the greatest game ever made

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
There's 4 main dungeons and then the castle.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place.

What makes it look like that out of interest? I didn't think anyone was allowed discuss them for a few days yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

We've had multiple confirmations about dungeons and the impact they have on approaching the final castle...?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Majora's Mask actually had 8 dungeons, if you count the buildup to getting to the actual dungeons because you had to do some crazy poo poo that would definitely necessitate you having to turn back time every time (the Deku Palace, Snowcap with all the gorons, the pirate fortress and getting Lulu's eggs, the fuckawesome gauntlet Ikana Castle and the climb to Stone Tower). Hell, 9 even if you do the mask dungeons on the moon.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

So did anyone figure out what Rat Lean is?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Breath of the Wild: Future Worst Game in the Series

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

We've had multiple confirmations about dungeons and the impact they have on approaching the final castle...?

There was that review someone linked a few pages ago that said the four plot dungeons are way smaller than any dungeons in previous zelda games, and much more like the BotW shrines.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there much info on how the Switch and WiiU versions compare? Don't have money for a Switch so I'll be getting the WiiU version assuming it isn't a god awful port.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Luminaflare posted:

Is there much info on how the Switch and WiiU versions compare? Don't have money for a Switch so I'll be getting the WiiU version assuming it isn't a god awful port.

The game was built for the Wii U and ported to the Switch later in development. It'll be fine.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Personally I thought I would mind the lack of dungeons a lot more than I do (without having played the game of course). But this game is such a radical departure that I love how much they lean into the open world. And now maybe they're combine everything they've learned with some more classic Zelda elements for future games.

If any game series needed a shot in the arm, it was Zelda. It kept going in one direction for 15 years and seriously needed retooling.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Luminaflare posted:

More framedrops in the U version

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

ColdPie posted:

The game was built for the Wii U and ported to the Switch later in development. It'll be fine.

Ordered.

Ometeotl posted:

More framedrops in the U version

Frame drops have never particularly bothered me.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Then you'll be absolutely fine with the U version.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is going to be a long week, friends.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Has anyone explained how the game corrals you at the boundaries of the map?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ometeotl posted:

Wallmaster.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

bottomless pit (north edge) and maybe unclimbable walls?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

From what i've seen in previews, the ocean stops you on east and some of the south portions of the map. A large bottomless chasm with a rather high cliff face on the other side blocks at least a decent portion of the north.

No idea about the rest.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Ehud posted:

Wallmaster.

I hope you're being serious but I know you're not

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh they absolutely do. They have the best two storylines of any Zelda. Of the two however, Wind Waker's doesn't feel like it was concocted to give gameplay context. Instead, Wind Waker wanted to tell a story that culminated in "the conventions of this series need to go away". It was pretty rad.

That's how I read Wind Waker, too, and yeah it was indeed pretty rad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYO47HUW8L8

Video I thought was cool goes a little in depth on some of the mechanics like horse riding. Some gameplay spoilers even in the title of the video so be careful also the dude talks if you have a problem with it.

One more spoiler if you're curious enough:

What Korok seeds are used for.

12:25 if the url messes up.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 26, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Video I thought was cool goes a little in depth on some of the mechanics like horse riding. Some gameplay spoilers even in the title of the video so be careful also the dude talks if you have a problem with it.

That's a really cool thing it does and with an awesome presentation.

Started watching the first vid and I chuckled at horse-strafing onto the pot, figured it was more of a collusion glitch. THEN THE HORSE CAUGHT ON FIRE HOLY poo poo. there's an absurd amount of interactions I love it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Best Buy just ran my card for my Master Edition :awesome:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Majora's Mask actually had 8 dungeons, if you count the buildup to getting to the actual dungeons because you had to do some crazy poo poo that would definitely necessitate you having to turn back time every time (the Deku Palace, Snowcap with all the gorons, the pirate fortress and getting Lulu's eggs, the fuckawesome gauntlet Ikana Castle and the climb to Stone Tower). Hell, 9 even if you do the mask dungeons on the moon.

You can 100% MM with only one non-mandatory cycle reset :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQRkZySj9g

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Electric Phantasm posted:

i don't know why i keep watching this poo poo. i'm going to feel such shame when i inevitably drop like $700 to play a zelda game

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

murked by dragon posted:

i don't know why i keep watching this poo poo. i'm going to feel such shame when i inevitably drop like $700 to play a zelda game

Switch is 300, 320 with taxes and Zelda is like 64 with taxes far less than 700

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even with the special edition, I'm only a little bit above 400 dollars. The only way to get to 700 is if you buy the switch, plus the master edition, plus a pro controller, and the super deluxo guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

When you wake up it was Fi all along