Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Just saw the Oscar shorts for this year. They were all pretty good except for the cowboy one (Creative Writing 101 story with Pixar animation) and the one with the chick who could see into the past and future (HEY GUYS DO YOU SEE THE METAPHOR YET IT'S SO CLEVER DO YOU SEE IT HUH!?).

What's a meta for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Jumping back to Lego batman real quick, who is phyllis supposed to be? And do we ever find out who her phantom zone boss is supposed to be?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
(I only just finished the second half now...)

I reeeeally like Titan AE. Wow. What did it open against to become such a flop? I can't believe this didn't have a bigger fan base back then. And I can't believe it's still not out on bluray!

A neat script, with some really funny moments. That "intelligent guard" scene, hahaha. Characters were good too. This is basically Firefly before Firefly happened. All the voice actors do good jobs but I particularly liked Bill Pullman. Nathan Lane is also a treat. The eventual betrayal by Korso and Preed actually hurt me :smith:

The main downside is the CGI looks pretty dated now -- there's a lot of gratuitous camera pans inside the spaceships, using 2D characters in CGI sets, that just make me dizzy. They don't look so hot. And the final shot on the planet is really low quality.

(The CGI probably isn't as dated as the soundtrack, but all the terrible alt rock and nu metal gives me some serious nostalgia waves so I don't mind it.)

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Titan AE was a victim of the studio dying while it was being made. Wikipedia has more details, but, for example, Fox Animation apparently shut down only 10 days after the film was released. Without promotion and distribution help, the film suffered.

I'm guessing the tone didn't help either. It's a more serious movie than most. The animated adventure movie was a tough sell even for a healthy studio (see also: Atlantis.)

I seem to recall it being critically enjoyed, though. I know that Roger Ebert adored it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

This is basically Firefly before Firefly happened.

Which make sense considering it was written by Whedon.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is there a place I can watch Oscar Shorts?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boxman posted:

I'm guessing the tone didn't help either. It's a more serious movie than most. The animated adventure movie was a tough sell even for a healthy studio (see also: Atlantis.)

Man I love Atlantis. It was one of the first animated films I saw that didn't follow the usual Disney tropes, like songs, talking animals, etc. There was human death and tragedy, and it was acknowledged.

I remember when it was coming out that Disney had websites about the Atlantean language, writing, and history, and I lapped it up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I might be totally wrong on this, but Treasure Planet and Atlantis always struck me as Disney trying to do something like Titan AE, which is bizarre because that movie wasn't even a hit. I guess there was some bug going around the animation studios at the time that people wanted more edgy, action-oriented animated movies? Maybe it was due to the popularity of anime at the time?

Titan AE definitely didn't hold up quite as well on re-watches, but I liked it a lot when it came out. I guess part of it was that weird underdog effect where you want to like something that isn't popular, so it seems better. It's definitely not bad and it succeeds on a basic level of being an exciting action movie, but it's got holes for sure. And like most Whedon things, it teeters dangerously on the brink of being a little too winking and sarcastic. But at least that's almost always better than being boring and over-serious.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
The Neck Snap in Titan AE haunts me to this day...

The intelligent guard scene is really great. Its a shame because there is some good pieces to the movie but the sum of its parts is pretty meh.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sir Lemming posted:

I might be totally wrong on this, but Treasure Planet and Atlantis always struck me as Disney trying to do something like Titan AE, which is bizarre because that movie wasn't even a hit. I guess there was some bug going around the animation studios at the time that people wanted more edgy, action-oriented animated movies? Maybe it was due to the popularity of anime at the time?

Atlantis was conceptualised a few years before production started on Titan A.E. It came about because the team behind The Hunchback of Notre Dame really wanted to make an adventure film in the vein of Raiders of the Lost Ark, drawing inspiration from Jules Vernes' stories. Treasure Planet, meanwhile, was a pet project of Ron Clements that he had been trying to pitch since the 80s. I don't doubt that both films were financed at least partly because Disney saw the diminishing returns of its traditional animated films and tried to explore new ideas, but they weren't reactions to a specific project by a competitor.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is also an intelligent guard scene in Rock and Rule which precedes Titan AE.

Pick fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 26, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And here I thought I was the only person who liked Titan AE.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Titan AE is great, my dad and I used to watch it all the time. I think Atlantis and Treasure Planet are just coincidental, throwback adventure stories were in at the time, though there was probably a lot of information being smuggled back and forth between the animation companies.

Speaking of shorts, it's from 2012 but this Gobelins short my husband linked me last night is one of the best things I've seen in a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84-wV0eEnRs

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Actually gonna have to change my mind about the oscar shorts, the only good one was about the crazy old alzheimer's patient lady. Pretty much everything else was either generic pixar or a loving slideshow.

Also Titan AE is good and fun.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I loved Titan AE as a kid. I watched it again recently with a bunch of friends, and I didn't feel like it's held up. The 2D/CGI mixture has aged really poorly, obviously, but it's also a surprisingly long and convoluted story that's easy to lose track of if you're not giving it your full attention, which may have made it difficult for kids to connect with.

Janeane Garofalo as a kangaroo will never not be good, though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sir Lemming posted:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Atlantis was conceptualised a few years before production started on Titan A.E. It came about because the team behind The Hunchback of Notre Dame really wanted to make an adventure film in the vein of Raiders of the Lost Ark, drawing inspiration from Jules Vernes' stories. Treasure Planet, meanwhile, was a pet project of Ron Clements that he had been trying to pitch since the 80s. I don't doubt that both films were financed at least partly because Disney saw the diminishing returns of its traditional animated films and tried to explore new ideas, but they weren't reactions to a specific project by a competitor.

I'd bet anything that all three movies were heavily influenced by Hiyao Miyazaki's "Around the World in 80 days by Sea."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I watched Titan AE recently and hated it a lot.

I'm overjoyed that I now hate something most of the thread likes.......

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fangz posted:

I watched Titan AE recently and hated it a lot.

I'm overjoyed that I now hate something most of the thread likes.......

Sorry, but I also think Titan AE is complete poo poo :ohdear:.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's got the Bluth "drab and olive green" problem, the "cluttered and garish" problem, the "looks rotoscoped" problem, the "we only know how to animate dinosaurs" problem, and the plot is terrible and the humor is cringe-worthy. Most of the designs are incongruous and overly-detailed in the wrong areas and have poor flow.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I might write some kind of screed about how the only interesting thing in Titan AE is that the story revolves around the necessity of genocide to create lebensraum for the human race, with the main enemy having attacked mankind precisely to pre-empt this in an act of self-defense. But then I might turn into SMG and that would be bad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Fangz posted:

I might write some kind of screed about how the only interesting thing in Titan AE is that the story revolves around the necessity of genocide to create lebensraum for the human race, with the main enemy having attacked mankind precisely to pre-empt this in an act of self-defense. But then I might turn into SMG and that would be bad.

:justpost:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, just imagine the thing I said but 10x as long with some snooty references.

The thing I don't really get is why the non-human characters are even in the film. Like, why are they interested in reviving humanity? Are they just a bunch of weebs?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
by that token, one could ask why humans have any investment in bringing back animal species from the brink of extinction.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spatula City posted:

by that token, one could ask why humans have any investment in bringing back animal species from the brink of extinction.

Generally this doesn't involve murder and terrorism and eventually genocide. So basically the crew is PETA?

But ignoring the realism question, why have so many aliens? If the plot is basically about the future of humanity, why are there only three humans in it and why does it not explore the relationship of humans to the rest of the galaxy at all?

Anyway probably the main reason I hate the film was that we were choosing between watching this and The Iron Giant.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 26, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is there a place I can watch Oscar Shorts?

They're up on iTunes if you search Oscar nominations or something. Otherwise it's pretty difficult to get your hands on if you don't have a local theater playing it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched Titan AE and remember exactly jackshit about it.
The worst sin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like I love what Titan A.E. wanted to be? Like...an animated pastiche of Star Wars and The Fifth Element and Raiders of the Lost Ark etc. etc. etc. would be amazing. Basically Mass Effect as an animated movie. But I remember it being a bit too meandering, and the alien characters (aside from the drej) were a bit too goofy and over-animated. The human character designs were great, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is by necessity that this dinosaur with boobs constantly has her vagina in your face

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The human character designs were great, though.

Two white all-american action heroes and Anime Girl?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fangz posted:

Two white all-american action heroes and Anime Girl?

I didn't say diverse, did I? But they each had a unique silhouette and distinct, memorable features that helped reinforce their characters. They were good looking characters.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oscars today! Anyone else excited? :3: I'll be watching it live along with a live watching party stream thing done by a movie podcast crew I really like.

Also this, from the Zootopia Facebook page:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
These puns are just getting worse and more boring. And that fox drawing makes him look like he's got Down Dove Syndrome.

:colbert;

:catbert:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All I remember about Titan A.E. was that I thought Farscape did everything that movie did but better.

I don't even remember Farscape nowadays, was that one any good? I used to think it was good but I haven't thought about it in years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Assless chaps for your chin.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that much at least.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Lin-Manuel sang a brand new intro to How Far I'll Go! :aaa:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

Oscars today! Anyone else excited? :3: I'll be watching it live along with a live watching party stream thing done by a movie podcast crew I really like.
I'm watching it too. (Suicide Squad won a makeup Oscar, somehow. Guess it's sympathy for having to work with Jared Leto.)

They're doing Moana songs rn, it's nice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Suicide Squad might be a bad movie but the makeup is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't seen it but from the trailers, screenshots etc, the Suicide Squad makeup is really good, way better than what Star Trek had to offer. Star Trek was just rubbery Green Goblin poo poo glued on Idris Elba

BUT I hate the idea that the phrase "the Oscar-winning movie Suicide Squad" is now a real and true thing to say

The Moana performance was really good but the audience didn't really clap much :S