Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

spudsbuckley posted:

FF14 is really great.

I was thoroughly bored of MMOs in general when i first tried it but it is just so chill and forgiving to new players that i fell in love with it straight away.

i play as a girl au ra and people keep trying to get me to join their fc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I started a new playthrough of Dark Souls 2 this evening as per the reddit thing going on and I already gave up. Man that game controls like poo poo. The weird deadzone issues and overall weightlessness of the controls are just reminding me why I've got literally 10 times as many hours of playtime in the other two games.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's almost Marrrrrch!

Any of you planning on doing a LP of Horizon Zero Dawn? I'll give you views.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

guys I did it: I found the ultimate how to cook video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaIoH6Um60

I hope Cook Serve Delicious 2 is exactly like this

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I bought the indie metroidvania Hollow Knight this morning, it seems ok. I've played an hour and I can already tell there's gonna be a lot to do and to explore, you are a tiny bug knight in a tiny abandoned insect kingdom, and everything is really nicely drawn and painted and 2D animated. Tiny nitpick - you get five "lives" but you can regenerate them pretty easily by expending a resource you get by killing enemies, so losing a life is not such a big deal. despite this, the screen has this big flash effect whenever you lose one and it's kind of distracting. It's probably more useful when the game gets harder though. It's very open-ended, you just show up in a little bug town and you go down a well and start poking around the caves and finding things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My level of hype for Horizon has given me Gamer Fatigue where I've gotten sick of all the other things I'm playing and only want to play that game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I hope it is a very good game, exquisite tea. For your sake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've run the numbers and I think it'll be pretty much impossible for me to dislike it unless it somehow devolves into a 3,000 year old magical child anime subplot.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

I've run the numbers and I think it'll be pretty much impossible for me to dislike it unless it somehow devolves into a 3,000 year old magical child anime subplot.

hell, same :same:

unfortunately i won't play it for a while cuz i don't pay full price for games!!!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

exquisite tea posted:

Boy do I have some very bad news for you.

I don't actually know anything about the plot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Japan uses an inquisitorial system like France does, where the judge more actively decides verdicts

They also have something like a 99% conviction rate, so all the undefeated prosecutors in Phoenix Wright aren't actually unrealistic. I wonder if they also do the "Well you've proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your client is not guilty, but we don't know who the real killer is and someone has to hang for this so tough luck" thing.

exquisite tea posted:

My level of hype for Horizon has given me Gamer Fatigue where I've gotten sick of all the other things I'm playing and only want to play that game.

My initial impression of that game was that it would be a solid open world erase-icons-off-the-map-'em-up that would a good buy when it's on sale for $20. But apparently it's actually really good? The graphics are amazing so I'm a bit worried it would run poorly on my normal PS4.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 26, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

My initial impression of that game was that it would be a solid open world erase-icons-off-the-map-'em-up that would a good buy when it's on sale for $20. But apparently it's actually really good? The graphics are amazing so I'm a bit worried it would run poorly on my normal PS4.

It would seem it actually runs pretty drat well on the original PS4, according to Digital Foundry. Both the PS4 and the Pro get a mostly-stable 30 FPS. The PS4 does so at 1080p, the Pro at higher resolutions. I think the Pro also has a "performance mode" option that lets you get higher framerates in exchange for worse resolutions. The Pro also has more detailed textures and post-processing, but the original PS4 version still looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTH8OnQKWeY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StrixNebulosa posted:

guys I did it: I found the ultimate how to cook video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaIoH6Um60

I hope Cook Serve Delicious 2 is exactly like this

mythbusters proved it was fake!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was going to hold off on getting Horizon because there's only a week between it and Nier but drat it, it actually seems like I'll enjoy it a lot, so I guess I'm going to jump in and have a fun week with it.

(nobody remind me Breath of the Wild comes out even sooner than Nier and is probably an even better open-world exploration kind of game, just tell me it's going to run at 15 FPS on the Wii U or something like that so I feel better about waiting to get it until I have a Switch)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I was going to hold off on getting Horizon because there's only a week between it and Nier but drat it, it actually seems like I'll enjoy it a lot, so I guess I'm going to jump in and have a fun week with it.

(nobody remind me Breath of the Wild comes out even sooner than Nier and is probably an even better open-world exploration kind of game, just tell me it's going to run at 15 FPS on the Wii U or something like that so I feel better about waiting to get it until I have a Switch)

The Wii U and Switch versions do have confirmed serious frame rate issues. Breath of the Wild Sounds like a game I wouldn't enjoy anyways from everything i've read about it. The survival mechanics, steep difficulty, and stamina system all sound really unfun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

precision posted:

Cracked open whisky, playing yakuza 4 again, cool guy akiyama owns, I didn't quit my job. Cheers my fellow goons

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lol the framedrops are not "serious" but you be you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The Wii U and Switch versions do have confirmed serious frame rate issues. Breath of the Wild Sounds like a game I wouldn't enjoy anyways from everything i've read about it. The survival mechanics, steep difficulty, and stamina system all sound really unfun.

See, and those things appeal to me (well, obviously not the frame rate drops but you know what I mean), so Breath of the Wild is absolutely something I'm going to pick up. I'm one of those whiners who's really tired of the formulaic 3D Zeldas so Breath of the Wild breaking the mold so aggressively excites me a lot.

Ometeotl posted:

Lol the framedrops are not "serious" but you be you.

I just really want to see what the Wii U version looks like these days. The colors were a lot more washed out in the Wii U E3 gameplay than in the Switch reveal gameplay, and I have no way of knowing whether that's a version difference, or if they just improved the color saturation between E3 and the Switch reveal. I'll know once the game comes out, obviously. The colors are a bigger deal to me than any other graphical difference.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's weather and atmosphere dependent. Videos during a sunny day in open fields are bright and colorful. Other areas or weather conditions make it hazy and naturally washed out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

It's weather and atmosphere dependent. Videos during a sunny day in open fields are bright and colorful. Other areas or weather conditions make it hazy and naturally washed out.

Even comparing sunny-to-sunny the Wii U E3 videos look more washed-out, like the difference between pastel and watercolor. But I'm not assuming it's a Wii U vs. Switch thing, either. That's not something I (with my admittedly limited knowledge of graphics tech) think is likely to be a version difference so much as something they tweaked during development, but you never know, I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Even comparing sunny-to-sunny the Wii U E3 videos look more washed-out, like the difference between pastel and watercolor. But I'm not assuming it's a Wii U vs. Switch thing, either. That's not something I (with my admittedly limited knowledge of graphics tech) think is likely to be a version difference so much as something they tweaked during development, but you never know, I guess.

Yeah, there's video's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy5_sDZUZg&t=1s that show very clear undeniable differences. It is possible that the Wii U version will have better color but it's most likely a limitation of the hardware and so this won't change.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, there's video's like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDy5_sDZUZg&t=1s that show very clear undeniable differences. It is possible that the Wii U version will have better color but it's most likely a limitation of the hardware and so this won't change.

Why would it be a hardware limitation, out of curiosity? I legitimately don't know what sort of graphics load color depth puts on the hardware, unless what we're actually seeing is a postprocessing effect or something?

That said, I'm pretty sure the last time we saw Wii U gameplay was E3, so I wouldn't be surprised if things had smoothed out in the like seven months between E3 and the Switch reveal.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

Why would it be a hardware limitation, out of curiosity? I legitimately don't know what sort of graphics load color depth puts on the hardware, unless what we're actually seeing is a postprocessing effect or something?

That said, I'm pretty sure the last time we saw Wii U gameplay was E3, so I wouldn't be surprised if things had smoothed out in the like seven months between E3 and the Switch reveal.

It's in the way the hardware renders and presents colors to your monitor or TV. You can see this in comparison videos of many cross platform games between Xbox 360 / PS3 or XBone / PS4. There are clear differences in colors between a lot of games even though they might have the same graphics quality in terms of texture quality, AA, and lighting/shadow rendering.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
seems like the follow up to the Middle Earth game might have gotten leaked on some retailers, with box art and full dlc names?

http://intl.target.com/s?searchTerm=Middle%20Earth%3A%20Shadow%20of%20War#sn-52315106

quote:

"Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses and dominate Mordor from within. Experience how the award winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth."

Gold Edition includes:
• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
• The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
• The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
• Gold War Chest
• Over $125 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more.

Experience an epic open-world brought to life by the award-winning Nemesis System. Forge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army in Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

What a fantastic name, it's got the shadow of creative bankruptcy written all over it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

It's in the way the hardware renders and presents colors to your monitor or TV. You can see this in comparison videos of many cross platform games between Xbox 360 / PS3 or XBone / PS4. There are clear differences in colors between a lot of games even though they might have the same graphics quality in terms of texture quality, AA, and lighting/shadow rendering.

Well, weirdly enough, I'd almost be happy if the Wii U version is visually inferior in a way that's a dealbreaker for me, like color quality. That'd mean my three-game pileup (Horizon, Nier, Zelda) becomes a two-game pileup and it'll be easier to hold off on Zelda until I get a Switch in like October or November or something.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk it's probably hard to come up with video game titles that don't sound generic

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's better than War of Mordor or something.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

idk it's probably hard to come up with video game titles that don't sound generic

Horizon Zero Dawn is some grade-A video game word salad

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Battle Of Three Armies Plus Two Available As Premium DLC Buy Bundle For Best Value

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

How about Shadow of Mordor 2. Was that so hard?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn is some grade-A video game word salad

It's a very weird title but supposedly Zero Dawn has a lot of meaning to the story that will be explained: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/22/horizon-zero-dawn-guerrilla-confirms-term-zero-dawn-story-related/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

an actual dog posted:

How about Shadow of Mordor 2. Was that so hard?

Shad2 of Mordor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadow of Mordor is in kind of a weird place where the Nemesis system is fun and interesting but they have to tread so lightly around the Lord of the Rings IP that they can't make it about any actually interesting characters or events in Middle-Earth. I'd rather see its main gimmick transported into something totally different, like for example Bully 2 by Rockstar Ltd.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wooo my credit card was charged for the Switch I preordered. 5 more days until Breath of the Wild!

ron_paul_its_happening.gif

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Shad2 of Mordor

Shad2 Mord2

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yep, the end of NESmania is happening right now

https://t.co/hy0mxq9xmw

https://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

It's a very weird title but supposedly Zero Dawn has a lot of meaning to the story that will be explained: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/02/22/horizon-zero-dawn-guerrilla-confirms-term-zero-dawn-story-related/

Probably no different than a backronym

• Locked thread