Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Wait people really wanted them to continue on with Shepard's story on that same timeline?

That is like the last thing I wanted from a new ME game and I don't have the level of hatred that others do for that ending.

It either had to be far future(which this game is in a different galaxy), or like a game about the Humans or someone discovering the ruins on Mars going into the first contact war.

A game about finding out about a world is why I fell in love with Mass Effect 1, and I'm hoping that ME:A delivers on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Choosing destroy and just setting things a few decades later when things are rebuilt seems pretty straight forward. Back to business as usual.

I guess they wanted to avoid choosing an ending as the official one, and including all of them as options would be ludicrous.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zzulu posted:

The endings, all 3 of them, left plenty of room. But it'd take like, effort man and like, way easier to just switch galaxy man and like, you know, its all good man

Well, we crunched the numbers here and it looks like if we want to have the maximum amount of fuckable aliens we have to go.. *checks tickertape* to Andromeda.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

marktheando posted:

Choosing destroy and just setting things a few decades later when things are rebuilt seems pretty straight forward. Back to business as usual.

I guess they wanted to avoid choosing an ending as the official one, and including all of them as options would be ludicrous.

They could have, but that's theoretically less interesting than a game set in a new environment, where we have no clue about what's going on in the world and allowing the players and characters to find poo poo out at the same time.

Who knows if Bioware can actually pull it off, I have my doubts, but it's more interesting than "we are rebuilding the Milky way, do you want to be a space racist, or be inclusive of all aliens" which is probably what they would go with as a plot line after destroy. As Humans are clearly far and away the most hyper competent of the races(Last on the scene but adapted quickly to using Prothean tech to get on the Asari(who got lucky) and Turians's level and thus are the most likely to rebuild the fastest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dexo posted:

Who knows if Bioware can actually pull it off, I have my doubts, but it's more interesting than "we are rebuilding the Milky way, do you want to be a space racist, or be inclusive of all aliens" which is probably what they would go with as a plot line after destroy. As Humans are clearly far and away the most hyper competent of the races(Last on the scene but adapted quickly to using Prothean tech to get on the Asari(who got lucky) and Turians's level and thus are the most likely to rebuild the fastest.

Besides, Control is the best ending anyway. Shepard-Jesus died for your sins and came back as a benevolent space god.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Skippy McPants posted:

The hubris of thinking that your successful franchise could get away with an ending that didn't leave room for more sequels.

The ends were bad, but really - even it had been a universally acclaimed ending, they would have had to rethink a bunch of the rest of the game too to leave room for sequels. Either that or ignore or otherwise undermine choices that were made (Quarians vs Geth/Genophage cured, etc).

With the idiot compressed timeline there barely room for prequels, but that could have also happened. Or a game concurrent with the trilogy timeline that kept out of its way.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

marktheando posted:

If Bioware hadn't already been gun-shy about establishing certain choices as canon, ME3 no doubt changed that. People were furious that their choices weren't as meaningful as they wanted them to be; if they took away a major choice retroactively, the HQ would be burned to the ground.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

marktheando posted:

It wouldn't be that hard to do an Invisible War/ Mankind Divided style continuation.
Yeah, you made a choice, but it didn't matter quite as much as you thought it did.

Destroy: Non-reaper AI was affected, but not fatally. The Geth and EDI basically went into sleep mode and was able to recover after a while. Let's say that they were hurt to retain some impact; EDI loses a bunch of memories, and a bunch of Geth processes were wiped out, but several more lived.

Control: After rebuilding most of the major damage, Shepard-AI forces the Reapers to turn on each other, wiping them and itself out.

Synthesis: The effect of the green wave disrupted the Reapers, and they either turned on each other or fell apart. The effects on everything non-Reaper proved to not be permanent.

The Milky Way setting is interesting enough, and though we're done with Shepard, I wouldn't mind seeing the post Reaper Milky Way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Man the thread is full of loving terrible ideas.

Glad they went with the Andromeda idea instead.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Never forget Dad Ryder remembers a time before FTL and aliens, decided to gently caress off to a totally different galaxy in technology that would seem totally unfeasible at the time of ME1.

:lol:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Synthesis ending should have merged Shepard with a Reaper, turning it into an oddly specific representation of Shepard's head and right arm. The Shepard-Reaper then punches and headbutts the remaining Reapers to death.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Uh, lots of people want to bugger Asari.

nobody who matters

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Never forget Dad Ryder remembers a time before FTL and aliens, decided to gently caress off to a totally different galaxy in technology that would seem totally unfeasible at the time of ME1.

:lol:

What would seem unfeasible about cryostasis pods and a long-journey colony ship, at the time of ME1?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Andromeda's immigrant population is gonna be like 90% asari within 300 years.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty glad Bioware, not goons, is in charge of Mass Effect.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Schubalts posted:

What would seem unfeasible about cryostasis pods and a long-journey colony ship, at the time of ME1?

Fuel. No one does long exploration within the Milky Way except within a limited range of a relay and the fuel infrastructure that has built up around it.

Also opening a relay is considered dangerous to the huge networked civilization that can concentrate military resources at a choke point. "YOLO, let's send a bunch of civilians on a one way trip with no support and hope they don't run into Rachni or Krogan analogs."

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 26, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Seems easy enough, just bring a LOT of fuel :downs:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Fuel. No one does long exploration within the Milky Way except within a limited range of a relay and the fuel infrastructure that has built up around it.

Also opening a relay is considered dangerous to the huge networked civilization that can concentrate military resources at a choke point. "YOLO, let's send a bunch of civilians on a one way trip with no support and hope they don't run into Rachni or Krogan analogs."

It's worth noting they have ditched fuel as a game mechanic.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cythereal posted:

Besides, Control is the best ending anyway. Shepard-Jesus died for your sins and came back as a benevolent space god.

Speak for yourself on "benevolent"; my Renegade bastard run I'm finishing up (as bastard as I can stand anyway, I tend to shy away from some of the rear end in a top hat choices) is gonna go Control on the principle the best bad decision to end a run of bad decisions on is to become an omnipotent fucker who inflicts their bad choices on the rest of the galaxy forever :twisted:.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. Shepard was already the only person in the entire loving galaxy who could get anything done, so apotheosis was really more like a lateral career move.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

marshmallow creep posted:

It's worth noting they have ditched fuel as a game mechanic.

Did they ditch it from the original codex, which I think discussed it as a practical limit on long distance space flight?

Even if this is technically possible, the economics are absurd.

1. We could triple our dreadnought fleet or send 20,000 civilians to Andromeda and maybe get a digital postcard back in several centuries. All in favor?

2. Investments in the Andromeda Initiative have the potential for really bad and uncertain returns compounded over centuries, assuming our agents in another galaxy retain any loyalty and we're ok treating notional fake assets trapped in another galaxy as part of our balance sheet. Will the board support me on this or are you going to have to hire a new CEO?

3. Thank you for your $1M pledge to our Kickstarter! This level entitles you to a tour of our orbital construction facilities if you pay for your own transportation. For $10M you can have a one hour tour of the ship itself, or for $1B nominate a relative under 30 with a science Ph. D and Olympian physique for a lottery drawing to join the trip to Andromeda. (Odds of winning are no better than 1/50.) Would you like to increase your contribution? No money is owed unless we hit our 5 billion gigabux target in the next 6 months.

4. Ok, the Illusive Man could fund it from petty cash and remain consistent with established lore and common sense.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 26, 2017

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'd like to point out that a lot of exploratory missions on Earth are funded by private parties like Bioware is saying the Andromeda Initiative is. It's usually people taking the risk to be first that end up going to a place no one else has wanted or needed to go before. And sometimes they are taking a loss at it in the hopes of long term gains. And with races that live for 1000+ years it's not a terrible leap to think someone with another money to burn and charisma could get something like that organized.

Also you've got thousands of people willing to try the first man mission to Mars even though it's a coin flip if they all end up dying horribly. I think there was a pitch to the US Congress once by older astronauts for some exploration missions where they explicitly said they were fine if they died or never saw Earth again in the effort.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I think its a good thing that they're basically re-booting. I'm keeping all my opinions to myself until I actually see the game.

"the fleet will be 90% asari in 300 years" made me laugh. Cuz it's true. :dance:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DoggPickle posted:

I think its a good thing that they're basically re-booting. I'm keeping all my opinions to myself until I actually see the game.

"the fleet will be 90% asari in 300 years" made me laugh. Cuz it's true. :dance:

Nah. Like the salarians, the asari contingent will do something dumb and be wiped out at a dramatic moment in the storyline. Andromeda will be inherited by the humans, turians, and krogan.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Cythereal posted:

Nah. Like the salarians, the asari contingent will do something dumb and be wiped out at a dramatic moment in the storyline. Andromeda will be inherited by the humans, turians, and krogan.

I can't see them wiping out the space elves. Now the frogmen that could certainly be possible.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Did they ditch it from the original codex, which I think discussed it as a practical limit on long distance space flight?

Even if this is technically possible, the economics are absurd.

1. We could triple our dreadnought fleet or send 20,000 civilians to Andromeda and maybe get a digital postcard back in several centuries. All in favor?

2. Investments in the Andromeda Initiative have the potential for really bad and uncertain returns compounded over centuries, assuming our agents in another galaxy retain any loyalty and we're ok treating notional fake assets trapped in another galaxy as part of our balance sheet. Will the board support me on this or are you going to have to hire a new CEO?

3. Thank you for your $1M pledge to our Kickstarter! This level entitles you to a tour of our orbital construction facilities if you pay for your own transportation. For $10M you can have a one hour tour of the ship itself, or for $1B nominate a relative under 30 with a science Ph. D and Olympian physique for a lottery drawing to join the trip to Andromeda. (Odds of winning are no better than 1/50.) Would you like to increase your contribution? No money is owed unless we hit our 5 billion gigabux target in the next 6 months.

4. Ok, the Illusive Man could fund it from petty cash and remain consistent with established lore and common sense.

Tbh people invest money in exploration just because they can or want to do it so it isn't exactly unknown

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
When does this game take place again

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

steakmancer posted:

When does this game take place again

Six hundred and twenty five years after Mass Effect 2, more or less.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Trast posted:

I'd like to point out that a lot of exploratory missions on Earth are funded by private parties like Bioware is saying the Andromeda Initiative is. It's usually people taking the risk to be first that end up going to a place no one else has wanted or needed to go before. And sometimes they are taking a loss at it in the hopes of long term gains. And with races that live for 1000+ years it's not a terrible leap to think someone with another money to burn and charisma could get something like that organized.

Also you've got thousands of people willing to try the first man mission to Mars even though it's a coin flip if they all end up dying horribly. I think there was a pitch to the US Congress once by older astronauts for some exploration missions where they explicitly said they were fine if they died or never saw Earth again in the effort.

People got themselves killed all the time exploring things through all of human history like who the hell cares about the Australian outback enough to die over it

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Humans building an ark to avoid extinction level event isn't exactly new in sci-fi. Or you know Noah's Ark.

People get the thrill of learning or exploration for exploration sake.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Eej posted:

People got themselves killed all the time exploring things through all of human history like who the hell cares about the Australian outback enough to die over it

If the movies are any indication automobile enthusiasts and bands of feral children.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Trast posted:

I'd like to point out that a lot of exploratory missions on Earth are funded by private parties like Bioware is saying the Andromeda Initiative is. It's usually people taking the risk to be first that end up going to a place no one else has wanted or needed to go before. And sometimes they are taking a loss at it in the hopes of long term gains.

This is true. The following is a list of people and organizations who have done so with the certainty that they would never see home again:

Trast posted:

And with races that live for 1000+ years it's not a terrible leap to think someone with another money to burn and charisma could get something like that organized.

This is true. Here's a fraction of the major races funding the Andromeda Initiative who have lifespans 1000+ years long:

1/3 (or 1/4, I forget)

Trast posted:

Also true. Here's a list of the projects people have funded so that others can have fun and likely commit suicide, with no possibility of any return and little (Asari) to no (everyone else) possibility of ever knowing how it turned out:

Flipswitch posted:

Tbh people invest money in exploration just because they can or want to do it so it isn't exactly unknown

True again. How many do it with no expectation of knowing if it succeeded or to benefit another species?

Eej posted:

How many explored the Australian outback with an absolute commitment to never live anywhere but there and never speak to their loved ones again? How many nations devoted a big chunk of GNP to let them live out this desire?

Dexo posted:

Humans building an ark to avoid extinction level event isn't exactly new in sci-fi. Or you know Noah's Ark.

That would only make sense for a galactic extinction level event. Supposedly this isn't about the Reapers. Otherwise you just scatter around the Milky Way, which, dang, already done, but with endless numbers of unexplored stars still available at much cheaper cost and the prospect of getting rich or famous and returning home if you go there instead.

Dexo posted:

People get the thrill of learning or exploration for exploration sake.

Yes, and they spend modest amounts in the expectation they'll hear what happened.

"I would totally donate money or my life to this cause!" - poors with inferior life prospects or aberrant psychology trying to convince hard headed money men of immense practicality to dump tremendous amounts of money that they could use for their own purposes into a pit.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2017

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

edit nvm

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 26, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

There are literally people who signed up for that dumb trip one-way to Mars.

http://people.com/celebrity/meet-five-of-the-american-semifinalists-for-a-one-way-trip-to-mars/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

Six hundred and twenty five years after Mass Effect 2, more or less.

Just say 620 years after ME3.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the multiplayer is good.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Drifter posted:

Just say 620 years after ME3.

Because of Asari influence all times are rounded off to the nearest eternity, the SI of historical time. It takes place at the same time as ME3 (and everything else) by official Citadel reckoning.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I hope the multiplayer is good.

I barely remember any of the single player story everyone is raging about other than it being a pretty good one-time playthrough. The MP on the other hand was loving amazing and I'd feel content preordering if it was just a copy-paste of ME3's with better graphics and jet packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

acumen posted:

I barely remember any of the single player story everyone is raging about other than it being a pretty good one-time playthrough. The MP on the other hand was loving amazing and I'd feel content preordering if it was just a copy-paste of ME3's with better graphics and jet packs.

That's literally why I preordered it. I'm hoping for me3 MP dropped in a fancier engine. If the single player is good, that's just icing.