Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
no, yes, and it's really hot

but not taiwan hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not that hot. It's just really humid-hot in that stepping outside and walking for 10 minutes will leave you drenched in sweat.

Also, things won't shut down but heat stroke is a thing you have to watch out for if you're doing a lot of moving during the day time.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If I lived in an area with 90 degree temperatures and 80% average humidity would I notice the difference?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's a good source for English-language news in Japan?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Tokyo on Fire, but they haven't come back from winter break. :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Rising Wasabi.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a good source for English-language news in Japan?

Japan Today (ignore (or only read) the comments)
The Japan Times (but watch out for the paywall)
Tokyo Reporter (...)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoft posted:

I understand that July is hot, but due to my wife's schoolwork we can't go during the October/March window a lot of people have suggested to me. Is it really THAT hot, do things shut down (I really want to go to the food cart island in Fukuoka), are there festivals to make up for it? We would be coming in to Fukuoka and making our way to Tokyo over the course of two weeks.

If you go to Fukuoka don't go to the food carts on the island. They are ripoffs. You have to go to Mamichan.

http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2014-10-13/junot-diaz-on-fukuoka-japan-s-next-great-food-city

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

If I lived in an area with 90 degree temperatures and 80% average humidity would I notice the difference?
Well, if you're used to near water boiling temperatures then Fukuoka's 33°C should be no problem :v:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm sorry I only recognize the king's measurements.

Thanks for the food tip.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE
So my wife and I just recently completed a road trip from Yokosuka, to Sasebo in Nagasaki Prefecture. We'll be here for 3 years if any of the Fukuoka goons wanna holla! All in all it took us 2 days to complete and there was snow almost the entire way, say for inside/outside of Osaka. If anyone has driven on the express ways here, the roads were pleasantly smooth and salted. We didn't experience any ice/snow accumulation on the roads whatsoever

Passing MT. Fuji

The rest of the trip consisted of scenic white mountain views.

and a tiny hotel room.

We went to the Lantern Festival in Nagasaki this past Saturday, I'll post a few pics later on.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Awesome pictures but get those shoes off the bed and take them off.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Have you tried the Sasebo Burger? Sasebo is the first place where Japanese burger was ever made. In 1950, American soldier at US base in Sasebo, taught Sasebo people how to make Burger. There are many Hamburger shops which open over 50 years. They make the best burgers in Japan because Burger shops in Sasebo have to make the best taste for both Japanese and Americans. Sasebo Burger makes that classic Japanese style burger in Tokyo. Their policy is "making the best burger in the world, and let all people in the world taste their burger which make them one precious moment of happiness.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I got a Sasebo burger* and it had an inch of a mayonnaise cream sauce on it, I asked for ketchup for my fries and they said they didn't stock ketchup.

*not in Sasebo

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

ntan1 posted:

Have you tried the Sasebo Burger? Sasebo is the first place where Japanese burger was ever made. In 1950, American soldier at US base in Sasebo, taught Sasebo people how to make Burger. There are many Hamburger shops which open over 50 years. They make the best burgers in Japan because Burger shops in Sasebo have to make the best taste for both Japanese and Americans. Sasebo Burger makes that classic Japanese style burger in Tokyo. Their policy is "making the best burger in the world, and let all people in the world taste their burger which make them one precious moment of happiness.

My wife and I both got had Sasebo burger. SUPER tasty! I've been to Sasebo numerous times, my last ship was stationed in Yokosuka, and we pulled in quite a bit. We went to Michele Brown's steak house a few days ago and it was simply awesome. Their sweet tea was so sweet, I thought my grandmother had made it.

Telemundoz
Dec 23, 2014

CHEE

peanut posted:

I got a Sasebo burger* and it had an inch of a mayonnaise cream sauce on it, I asked for ketchup for my fries and they said they didn't stock ketchup.

*not in Sasebo

That's shocking, at both the places I've been to, they have had ketchup. And they weren't heavy on the mayo.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I remember watching a short 5 to 10 minute video about the operations behind a conveyor belt sushi chain in Japan. There was a part of the video where they showed how the cooks in the back made the sushi depending on the demand of the customers. Anyone know where I can find this video? I tried a few keyword searches in YouTube with no luck.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think that's a Begin Japanology episode.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Try this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsY9u5HMAPI

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

That's it, thank you!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

On a scale from "you're a complete idiot" to "eh, shouldn't be a problem at all", how bad of an idea is it to schedule a trip to Tokyo for mid/end July, which is apparently towards the end of the rainy season?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Eh, you'll probably be fine. It'll be hot so a bit of rain might be welcome.

Bring appropriate clothing and it'll be even better (rain-proof bag, jacket, quick-dry pants, appropriate footwear).

Consider going to Fuji Rock if you're into music :D

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm hoping to get to Japan again in early-mid September 2019 (getting back home before the Rugby World Cup starts and the crowds come in).

Are there any seasonal things worth doing around that time of year?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Baseball! Late March - October.
Sumo! Odd numbered months.
I know of Danjiri/Mikoshi/Taiko festivals in August and October. Surely There must be a few in September too... ?!

Late July sucks but there's fireworks and the excitement of travel should help you power through the humidity, heat, mosquitos, crowds and typhoons.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How is Google Fi working in Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, specifically), and should I rent one of those WiFi things as a backup?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Japan has a lot more public wifi than it used to but it's bad. You get dropped a lot, super slow, and they have this dumb thing that forces you to log back in like every 10 minutes. Get a wifi thing. I got one from cdjapan last month and it was great, I'll be using that again next time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

photomikey posted:

How is Google Fi working in Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, specifically), and should I rent one of those WiFi things as a backup?

If you have an unlocked GSM phone, I've yet to see anything beat a b mobile visitor sim. It's now dirt cheap and offers 5GB of data vs 2GB from 2 years ago.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

photomikey posted:

Looks like Google Fi will put you on the Softbank network. I saw a report of 256kbps LTE connection much of the time, dropping to HSPA at times.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
[redacted]

photomikey fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 27, 2017

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A friend of mine is getting married in Japan in May/June, and since my employer is pestering me about how I have a ton of vacation time that I need to use I'm gonna take a month off and do some bike touring. The plan is to take a flight to Fukuoka and work my way north following this map:

http://www.japancycling.org/v2/cguide/part1/

I'm more interested in the cycling experience more than typical touristy stuff, but I wouldn't mind checking some stuff out if I can do it without worrying about a time crunch. Would five weeks be enough, or would it be better to bump it up to six?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

photomikey posted:

Google Fi will allow you to get you through the entirety of Japan, and works extremely well. You will be on LTE, with no strict data cap, and no Wifi thing is required as backup.

Reports of the 256kbps data cap are from a couple of years back, and you will not be limited on networks. I've used it even in very remote places.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
THANK YOU!! I had a feeling that what you reported was the case, because everything everyone is saying about the 256 data cap seems to be third-hand knowledge from three years ago.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Me, wife, and 7 year old kid traveling to Tokyo and Kyoto for an 9 day combined trip. Taking the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto and back. I'm thinking about having each of us pack independently in a 22" carryon, which would give us three 22" carryons to keep track of and ideally keep our stuff separate. 7 year old can more or less handle rolling around a carry on AND it helps limit how much poo poo we drag around because if it doesn't fit in the bag, we're leaving it behind.

Alternate option would be to pack two of us in a larger 26" rolling suitcase and have an additional duffle or carry-on, which is less bags overall, but I just don't like it.

Not sure if anyone could ring in here with a preference. We are finally getting to a place where the 7 year old is able to experience stuff, and traveling is different now.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you're only going to Tokyo and Kyoto I don't see any issues with either option. Both are regular cities with streets/sidewalks and no cobblestone so that's not a problem. Likewise the shinkansen has space to store luggage so you should be golden either way. Or did you have some other concern?

In general I try to reduce number of suitcases to as few as possible, but that's not specific to Japan/shinkansen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Expect to bring back lots of stuff. It's great to have an extra bag allowance for the trip home.
You can also mail suitcases directly between the airport and hotels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always travel with only a carry on. Half full so you have space for stuff to bring back, and I usually also bring a small laptop bag to fill with crap. You can bring that as your personal item with the carry on and nobody will stop you.

Also if I have some lovely clothes I don't want anymore I'll pack that and throw it away the last day to free up more space.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

You can also mail suitcases directly between the airport and hotels.
Yamato Transport's Ta-Q-Bin service was the single most convenient thing we discovered during our last trip to Japan. We ended up having to buy extra luggage to bring home all our souvenirs so having someone else do the hard work of getting it from place to place was amazing. It's about 1,500 yen per case - but you can send them pretty much anywhere and have them held for up to a week. So if you're just stopping off at a certain city for one or two nights, you can live out of your backpacks for a couple of days and have all your stuff forwarded to the next location instead.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for the tips. My concern is less with the number of suitcases, I guess, and more with the amount of carry-on crap we amass. I'll work on the family before I go.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time you went on a family vacation?

It's not like you are going to the jungle or anything and you can buy almost everything you guys need along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I found large fuckoff suitcases a bit inconvenient on local/express trains. They'll be fine on Shinkansen. You store them in the last row, behind the seats. For peace of mind, you may wish to book seats in the last row so you can be next to your luggage. (note that seats are reversible when the train is going west/east)