Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Would it be a colossally retarded thing to say that part of the reason NASCAR lost its appeal is due to how heavy-handed they were in making everything ultra safe after Earnhardt's crash? Was debating with a friend last night after I brought up the Daytona 500.

I firmly believe the beginning of the end was the COT. I hated the look of it, I hated the racing with it, it makes me puke in my mouth. The current car has KIND of started going back to the early-2000s model, but still sits somewhere inbetween.

I think it's good that people who race cars should have safety features. I just think sometimes safety features don't equate to good or fun racing for anyone other than those behind the wheel

Just trying to figure it out because I remember enjoying NASCAR all the way up til 2005-6, and then completely dropping off after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I feel like the Chase and the increasing number of rules changes have more to do with it than anything, though I guess that's drawing more from my personal experience than anything. The safety stuff and the COT are hard to argue with when you see wrecks like McDowell's at California in '08 and at least have a very valid reason behind them. The constant points tinkering and barely masked faux-excitement have been a plague that's only gotten worse in the past 4-5 years, and it was all to fix a problem that never existed in the first place.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Would it be a colossally retarded thing to say that part of the reason NASCAR lost its appeal is due to how heavy-handed they were in making everything ultra safe after Earnhardt's crash?

For the most part, yes it would. The three key aspects of safety since then are the walls, HANS, and larger cars, only the last of which has any impact on racing quality to any degree. The initial COT was total garbage and really ramped up aero grip over mechanical, but they have been fixing that slowly. The NHMS plate attempt was atrocious in almost every way, but for the most part the safety steps are not why the racing dropped off a cliff.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
poo poo racing because of the cars and NASCAR flipping the bird to its core demographics are why NASCAR lost its appeal.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Give me shorter races, fewer stoppages, and less unbearable commentators, and I don't think I'd have much to complain about.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

That NXS race sure was a thing.

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Would it be a colossally retarded thing to say that part of the reason NASCAR lost its appeal is due to how heavy-handed they were in making everything ultra safe after Earnhardt's crash? Was debating with a friend last night after I brought up the Daytona 500.

I firmly believe the beginning of the end was the COT. I hated the look of it, I hated the racing with it, it makes me puke in my mouth. The current car has KIND of started going back to the early-2000s model, but still sits somewhere inbetween.

I think it's good that people who race cars should have safety features. I just think sometimes safety features don't equate to good or fun racing for anyone other than those behind the wheel

Just trying to figure it out because I remember enjoying NASCAR all the way up til 2005-6, and then completely dropping off after that

The CoT was NASCAR execution in a nutshell: Good idea, horrible execution. I had no problem with them trying to improve the safety of the cars, but if they'd found a way to make it at least vaguely look like the stock cars we were used to (like, I don't know, the Gen 6?), it might have been less hated. Instead, we got a boxy piece of crap which was one generic, universally hated car with different manufacturer decals and a wing which, in an ironic twist, may or may not have been causing more cars to get upside down.

I look at the cars still running in ARCA and those, to me, look like what a "stock car" should look like aesthetically, even if there's nothing stock about it.

It's reached the point where NASCAR, Inc. is either aloof to the point where they genuinely think everything they do will save the sport or they're just so arrogant that they don't care about the sport or the fans while frantically baleing water out of the rowboat, and the WSJ article seems to add some fuel to that fire. As Kidc said, the Chase and the perennial continuous improvement plan NASCAR seems to be in has taken the sport from enjoyable to ridiculous to the point where some dumb fuckin' tweak to the sport to make it Better! is almost an annual occurrence (hence, the thread title). Unfortunately, NASCAR was emboldened by the first Chase catching lightning in a bottle; years like 2004 and 2011 were the exception to the rule, so a format which, while dumb, was at least understandable, has devolved into a living, breathing version of the race-off from a children's movie.

Apparently Bill Jr. never imparted "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." on his kids. I say "kids" because I always used to pin things on Brian, but Lesa may not be much better.

e- Another thing which just crossed my mind watching the NXS race is that there are a number of guys who were in Trucks in the last few years in that race. I know there was never a proper ladder system in NASCAR, but it's an example of how poorly NASCAR allowed the sport to be stocked with the "stars of tomorrow" because we just had to have Kyle Busch win 10 races a year in NXS to sell more tickets. With Gordon, Stewart, and (love or hate them) Edwards and Biffle gone and the general feeling being Junyer's career is nearing its end, where are the next drivers to get excited about? Blaney and Larson seem fun, Elliott is bland, Jones seems like a dick out of the Kyle Busch mold...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 26, 2017

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

poo poo racing because of the cars and NASCAR flipping the bird to its core demographics are why NASCAR lost its appeal.

I'm interested in who the core demographics you reference are.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently Bill Jr. never imparted "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." on his kids. I say "kids" because I always used to pin things on Brian, but Lesa may not be much better.

What if Brian is just the fall guy? :tinfoil:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

Give me shorter races, fewer stoppages, and less unbearable commentators, and I don't think I'd have much to complain about.

Keep a couple of the long rear end races like Daytona. But otherwise I agree.

I started just watching highlights last season =/

Gunna watch tonight though. Pretty excited actually.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I am always excited for Daytona, and I am ready to be spectacularly disappointed by the winner.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

I am always excited for Daytona, and I am ready to be spectacularly disappointed by the winner.

Yeah it's gonna suck when the 78 fails another post race inspection

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm prepared for 4 Gibbs Toyota lined up single file for 495 miles and then a dumb last lap which makes us forget that the race sucked

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Truex not winning tonight

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If your not amped for 3-time Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth theirs the door

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

If your not amped for 3-time Daytona 500 winner Matt Kenseth theirs the door

*walks through door*

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Good news for today's race,

Brian France said that you shouldn't be blocking and there may be consequences.

http://jeffgluck.com/brian-france-daytona-500-blocking-comment/

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 26, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hey there's going to be consequences for trying to win!

This sport is hilarious

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I cannot wait for the day that Darrell is no longer on TV

edit: put Gronkowski in the booth

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 26, 2017

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Kill me

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I don't know about you, but I quite enjoyed that Monster Energy infomercial just now with Gronk.

BMB5150 posted:

Good news for today's race,

Brian France said that you shouldn't be blocking and there may be consequences.

http://jeffgluck.com/brian-france-daytona-500-blocking-comment/

Jesus.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Brian France is a fart huffer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just turned the TV on to Michael Waltrip hamming it up with Larry the Cable Guy and DW screaming at him so yeah

btw sorry if I've been annoyingly negative lately it's just so EASY

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Do you like the direction NASCAR's headed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9NGc1OuKeU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
They should have stuck Smoke in the backseat

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

exploded mummy posted:

They should have stuck Smoke in the backseat

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I thought that was Tom Petty for a second.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Next year you better stick Junior, Petty, Smoke, and Gordon in the pace car, NASCAR

Don't worry about the official

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

don't loving cause it sitting in the middle row, Junior

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm an extremely casual NASCAR fan, but this "stage" point system seems really dumb?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Junior getting a concussion here would be messed up.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

coronaball posted:

I'm an extremely casual NASCAR fan, but this "stage" point system seems really dumb?

It is. Don't get us started.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone got a link to a spotters guide? New Jayski site sucks so much rear end.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coronaball posted:

Skreeeeee

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jones tried his best to imitate Kevin Lepage there.

wicka posted:

Anyone got a link to a spotters guide? New Jayski site sucks so much rear end.

Follow the dropdown menus. Jayski's team charts are still the same old site.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm not seeing it anywhere.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing it anywhere.

http://www.espn.com/jayski/pages/story/_/page/jayski/here-how-find-your-favorite-content-jayski

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/2017-NASCAR-Cup-Team-Driver-Chart

It looks like the only thing they migrated to ESPN is the homepage. Might want to OP that first link Kidc.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No I mean like an actual spotters guide.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Weren't they going to condense commercials to the Stage breaks?

wicka posted:

No I mean like an actual spotters guide.

Scroll down the first link and you'll come to a team list with paint schemes. He's never had an Indy/IMSA-style "Here is the car and how it looks" thing.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Oh god I should be in bed why am I up watching this poo poo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Weren't they going to condense commercials to the Stage breaks?

Scroll down the first link and you'll come to a team list with paint schemes. He's never had an Indy/IMSA-style "Here is the car and how it looks" thing.

Huh, I must've been thinking of something else. Thanks!

• Locked thread