Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Digirat posted:

My phone keeps adjusting its own brightness at arbitrary times. Why are you doing that. Do not do that.

That's a togglable setting on most phones these days. Check to see if you can turn that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

People who (without any credentials of course) keep spouting armchair psychology. Especially annoying if they use it to call people they don't like sociopaths or narcissists. I think it desensitizes people to mental problems when you just throw words like that around.

Also, unsolicited health/fitness advice from someone who knows nothing about either of those. However it is mostly annoying because i have to pretend that this is the first time i have heard about their talking points and i have to thank them, if not i come off as an ungrateful rear end because they were genuinely trying to help me. To make all of that worse is the sheer amount of conflicting information you receive from friends and family. Please only give people this type of advice if they ask you for it.

Midig has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Feb 26, 2017

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cowslips Warren posted:

Here, peeve. When your ISP goes out, and the hold music is broken with "For faster service, visit our website at fuckyou.com!" There needs to be a loving "service is out in your area" when you dial in, in case it is in fact everyone in your zip code loving out!

*15 seconds of the most hideously compressed music you've ever heard in your life*

*CLICK*

"All of our agents are currently assisting nobody at all. Thank you for once again getting your hopes up of actually reaching another living human being. Instead of waiting for customer circus, you may use our terrible web chat application that will disconnect you randomly and get you transferred between at least three different agents without preserving the chat history. Please go gently caress yourself with a prickly pear."

*Music starts again from the beginning*

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Man, when I housesat for people I was always loving petrified of breaking something. I never slept in the master bedroom just in case my period decided to come early or something like that.

N'th the people who wait in line, and like automatons, suddenly remember they don't know what they are doing here until they are asked a set of certain questions.
"Can I help you?"
"Ummmm...."

When I worked at McDonalds, I hated, loving hated the drive-thru because I always felt like we needed a $10 limit. You want to order 5 meals and ice cream and poo poo? Get your fat rear end inside! It was also a pleasure to deal with people driving up, after waiting in line for some minutes, to the order box, and go, "UUUUUmmmmm.....I need a....no. I need a number....do you guys have chicken sandwiches?"

Or people asking their kids what they wanted. Making the kid who can barely speak stammer and whisper he wants a hamburger.

KNOW YOUR poo poo.

Here, peeve. When your ISP goes out, and the hold music is broken with "For faster service, visit our website at fuckyou.com!" There needs to be a loving "service is out in your area" when you dial in, in case it is in fact everyone in your zip code loving out!

on the fast food thing: I feel your pain. my least favorite thing ever when I was working drive through at taco bell was the people who'd get those loving giant rear end meal deals, because they'd always clog the drat line while they carefully unwrapped and inspected every. single. burrito. my man, my guy, my loving pal, they are all identical bean shits, okay? literally they are no different. you do not need to unwrap them, nod sagely at your smear of poo poo-meat or poo poo-beans, and then do that again 11 more times. I'm not exaggerating- the meal deals were a box of 12 bean or meat burritos and were the bane of my goddamn existence. everything else on the menu was fine, but those loving meal boxes I still hate with a cold rage. I hate them, I hate that soccer mom brenda would take her sweet loving time inspecting them, making me get a write up for the line getting stalled, I hate every single loving meal box ever made.

pet peeve: the way sunflower seeds make your lips chapped after a while. I love them but my lips are dying.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Never saw Mulder with chapped lips, what's your problem? :colbert:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I try to eat enough of them to feed the howling void my depression causes. Also I get the salted kind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Che Delilas posted:

*15 seconds of the most hideously compressed music you've ever heard in your life*

*CLICK*

"All of our agents are currently assisting nobody at all. Thank you for once again getting your hopes up of actually reaching another living human being. Instead of waiting for customer circus, you may use our terrible web chat application that will disconnect you randomly and get you transferred between at least three different agents without preserving the chat history. Please go gently caress yourself with a prickly pear."

*Music starts again from the beginning*

I'm convinced they do this to annoy you so much that you give up and they don't have to deal with you. There is no way at all that anyone prefers that to just uninterrupted music.

I make an exception though for the ones that tell you what position you are in the queue. That's good.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

lavaca posted:

My nightmare scenario: I walk into the local bakery on the way into work to pick up a Danish. There is a line, so I have to wait patiently for a few minutes. The person ahead of me gets to the counter and says "I'd like to get a dozen pastries". The next ten minutes are excruciating. "Uh, how about one of those? And what is that one? No, I think I'll do something else. OK, that's like 9, right? Can you remind me what I got again?" Never does this manage to be simple.

Andy Kaufman did that once but at an ice cream place. He demanded to taste test every single flavor while a huge line formed behind him and then either said, "Never mind" and left or ordered vanilla. Of course this is according to Bob Zmuda, so take it with a grain of salt but it's the perfectly obnoxious thing Kaufman would have done just to amuse himself and Zmuda.

Lots of people are amused by the poo poo Kaufman pulled but I think it would have been exhausting and irritating to be around him when he pulled this poo poo.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tiggum posted:

I'm convinced they do this to annoy you so much that you give up and they don't have to deal with you. There is no way at all that anyone prefers that to just uninterrupted music.

I subscribe to that theory as well.

At the same time, though, I also believe that the people who came up with these systems are so wildly out of touch with how average people think, that they could legitimately believe we prefer this constant feedback loop to just waiting. They would have designed it in a vacuum, having never experienced a customer support call themselves, because when something goes wrong in THEIR lives, they have people they pay within shouting distance to handle all the dirty business of dealing with people with a net worth of less than a hundred million dollars.

I've never been able to decide which is more likely to be true.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I subscribe to that theory as well.

At the same time, though, I also believe that the people who came up with these systems are so wildly out of touch with how average people think, that they could legitimately believe we prefer this constant feedback loop to just waiting. They would have designed it in a vacuum, having never experienced a customer support call themselves, because when something goes wrong in THEIR lives, they have people they pay within shouting distance to handle all the dirty business of dealing with people with a net worth of less than a hundred million dollars.

I've never been able to decide which is more likely to be true.

I've been involved in making decisions on hold music.

The actual answer is that there is no good method that will please everyone. And there's no "good" hold music out there.

Though I do hold a particular hatred for ones that promote the company with promos or other ads every so often, and I fought hard against including anything like that.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

some dude offered to sell us weed at the bus stop and then another dude asked us if we smoked a few minutes later. leave me alone!! oh my god

and we came home and our place reeks of weed again!!!! auauauuguuguuhhhhh

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd like to see--hear, rather--some stand up comedy during my hold music. If I'm going to get pissed off while holding, try something that might improve my mood.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's the only place you hear Muzak anymore, so I like to think of being on hold as experiencing a piece of musical history.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Leavemywife posted:

I'd like to see--hear, rather--some stand up comedy during my hold music. If I'm going to get pissed off while holding, try something that might improve my mood.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it

https://youtu.be/xqX0Z4NeT9o

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

areyoucontagious posted:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it

https://youtu.be/xqX0Z4NeT9o

I have a weird mixture of being glad he bombed because hes so obnoxious and feeling extremely embarrassed for him.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That reminds me of noted pathological liar and "millennial" Dan Nainan bombing horribly at a set during a Tesla conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVkLDElFok

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

The actual answer is that there is no good method that will please everyone. And there's no "good" hold music out there.

The best system is where they have a message that says "You are position four in the queue. The current average wait time is seven minutes. Enter your phone number and press hash to be called back by the first available operator, or stay on the line."

I have encountered this exactly once.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just play TV theme songs. Instrumental ones. Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad on repeat.

Peeve: craigslist scammers. Scammers in general. People who get poo poo for free then turn around and sell it. I know it's not illegal, but it's loving scummy. Especially if you happen to get a LOT of something free. At my old work, when a vendor was discontinued, everything from them would go to a QT zone, and poo poo would be numbered off, and you could sign up to win/take home whatever the item was. Some people would be greedy and literally ask for one of everything, or want all six garbage cans (brand new, still in box). I remember about 30 reams of paper going, and one lady wanted them all for her daughter's school....and was upset when others wanted the paper too. We ended up having to add a detail: YOU CANNOT SELL THE THINGS YOU WIN/TAKE HOME FROM HERE. Because some people were loading up on all the brand new supplies, and going to a loving swap meet to sell them.

It is great when you find someone who is selling poo poo they got for free, and somehow when you tell other people, and they no longer want to buy said poo poo, you're the bad person for ruining a business. No, dude, I told people who were going to buy your $15 aquarium you got it for free yesterday, and they don't want it? Why, it's almost like people have no issue buying things they want, but don't like being ripped off, or feeling like they got ripped off!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Super nerd thing. When people who make assets (items, buildings, etc) for Cities: Skylines and don't put a thumbnail image so it just shows up as this default white boxy thing. You can at least take a pic with the asset editor! You, yourself, can also see that it has no thumbnail! Why do you not take a picture?! I am soooo sick of assets not having thumbnails. I make a lot of assets with custom props (items like trees or benches or whatever) and I have to scroll over the 50+ default box thumbnails, made by morons, to see what they are, which takes forever. Ghhhhh

e: I'm scrolling through and there's this amazing one that has a little bee and says BEES in huge letters. I love it. I must now put bees in all my assets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thin Privilege posted:

]e: I'm scrolling through and there's this amazing one that has a little bee and says BEES in huge letters. I love it. I must now put bees in all my assets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhuSDRIDHE

Uncle ShortyB
Oct 18, 2013

"Do you think since your cat is dead I could

You know

Wear it?"

Tiggum posted:

The best system is where they have a message that says "You are position four in the queue. The current average wait time is seven minutes. Enter your phone number and press hash to be called back by the first available operator, or stay on the line."

I've never heard of any sort of hold system that does that, which sucks because I have spent upwards of like an hour and a half on hold before because of my college's phone operators misdirected my call and I got put in the phone queue for financial aid. Would have been nice to get a call back rather than put Cisco's Greatest Hits on speakerphone while trying to do things that would still let me answer the phone.

Peeve: people who assume in restaurant lines that, since they only got hot drinks that require some preparation time to make that of course they'll be moved to the head of the line. It's like, yeah I know you only have two things, but that isn't how lines work. Don't cop an attitude with everyone because you think you're some kind of special snowflake.

Uncle ShortyB has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Feb 27, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tiggum posted:

We tried doing a system like that, but couldn't get the technicals of it working right.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just play TV theme songs. Instrumental ones. Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad on repeat.

LMAO. Okay, have fun running the most expensive call center in the country.

Public domain poo poo is the only thing you will ever hear, unless you're on hold with a music company.

Also, the Breaking Bad theme is like 10 seconds long, it would drive you insane on a loop. All music does, that's the problem inherit to finding "good" hold music. Also you associate it with being on hold, which is unpleasant.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

Man, when I housesat for people I was always loving petrified of breaking something. I never slept in the master bedroom just in case my period decided to come early or something like that.

Hell, I make sure I dust and vacuum every day and sleep on a cot I bring from home when I housesit. It's not my poo poo; I'm just there to keep an eye on the place and make sure it's in good shape when the owners get back. I'd go bananas if I came home to a horrible mess after a long trip.

Re: Hold Music

gently caress all music entirely for holding calls unless you can make it not sound like you're VOIPing it over a 14.4 baud connection. The worst is classical because of the high pitches of flutes and violins. The system simply wasn't designed for poo poo like that--it was designed for human voices.

Just give me a couple of boops every fifteen or so seconds to let me know I'm still connected, please.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

the hold music I hate is the one that cuts out every three minutes with a sound that makes you think someone's picked up but it's just a stupid automated voice saying "your call is very important to us, please stay on the line"

it always sounds sarcastic and I hate it a lot.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This is why Nintendo has my favorite call center; they just play music from their games while you're on hold and it's not super irritating to listen to for extended periods!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Just give me a couple of boops every fifteen or so seconds to let me know I'm still connected, please.

High five fellow "human music" lover

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

WampaLord posted:

LMAO. Okay, have fun running the most expensive call center in the country.

Public domain poo poo is the only thing you will ever hear, unless you're on hold with a music company.
This is the reason I can't stand Vivaldi's Four Seasons anymore. I get that it's the cheap option for on hold music, but do you all have to pick Spring?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucking funeral processions that close highways. Tomorrow two of our major highways will be closed starting about noon, till 3, maybe 4pm. A cop died, so the procession will start at his church, then go all the way down the main loving corridor highway during pre rush hour, with every policeman in the area attending, down to his family's plot.

Hopefully no emergency vehicles need to get anywhere along 30 loving miles of highway, or anywhere within a few miles of it, because surface street traffic will be hosed.
And hopefully no one NEEDS to call the cops for help because they will all be in the loving procession.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WampaLord posted:

A lot of places play a radio station as their hold "music". I don't know if it's some quirk of Australian law that allows them to do that here or if they just don't care about the legality or what, but it's not uncommon.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

WampaLord posted:

Though I do hold a particular hatred for ones that promote the company with promos or other ads every so often, and I fought hard against including anything like that.

Especially when the music is relatively quiet, and the ad comes in blaringly loud.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

I'm so anxious about money and job hunting.

I've been on disability for a long time. I was declared permanently disabled, but that was based on a misdiagnosis and I'm finally recovering and want to transition to supporting myself. It is difficult.

I've saved a couple thousand dollars for training and a desktop computer to be able to work at home. I actually had $3500 but Social Security only allows you to save $2000, so they're taking the $1500 :mad:

I've been trying to figure out which medical transcriptionist (spell check says that's not a word?) certification programs are legit. I'll have to get help deciding from vocational rehab or something. I should be able to figure it out on my own! I would HIGHLY prefer this job and would be good at it, so I hope I don't find out it's impossible for some reason.

DVR people at my mental health clinic have been telling me they can get me a part-time job for YEARS but they constantly cancel appointments and when I do see them they try to teach me how to use Microsoft Word and write a resume because so many of their clients are homeless schizophrenics and/or functionally illiterate. I ended up working at a haunted attraction for the last 3 Octobers and that's about it.

So in the meantime I'm doing everything BUT working to scrounge up enough money to actually spend for fun from time to time. Disability keeps me alive, but now that I'm finally functional I want more out of life.

I'm actually doing the online survey thing on InboxDollars which pays like 25 cents, IF you qualify, per survey. Unfortunately you have to make $30 before you can get paid so it's slow going, but at least it's not a scam like most survey sites. I have $18.15 so far after about a month.

On the bright side I'm on a panel thing called VertoSmart where you leave an app installed on your phone and it collects data. You get $5 for signing up and $5 for every 30 days you have it installed, so I just had $10 sent to my PayPal. Pretty cool.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Why is there pineapple in my vanilla milkshake? Whyyyyyy

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Tiggum posted:

A lot of places play a radio station as their hold "music". I don't know if it's some quirk of Australian law that allows them to do that here or if they just don't care about the legality or what, but it's not uncommon.

Wait really? Where? Not doubting, just I've literally never come across this (although in fairness, most of the time I spend on hold is with government departments and local council, so that could have something to do with it).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Devdisigdu posted:

This is the reason I can't stand Vivaldi's Four Seasons anymore. I get that it's the cheap option for on hold music, but do you all have to pick Spring?

I also can't stand Pachebel's Canon in D for that same reason. The original one-hit wonder.

I did my best to convince a friend of mine to not walk down the aisle to it last year. No luck.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kids who suddenly run in front of you when you're walking/pushing a shopping cart. One of these days I'm not gonna notice you little shits in time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Whitlam posted:

Wait really? Where? Not doubting, just I've literally never come across this (although in fairness, most of the time I spend on hold is with government departments and local council, so that could have something to do with it).
I don't have any specific examples, I just know from my time in a call centre phoning businesses that it comes up relatively frequently.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Cowslips Warren posted:

Motherfucking funeral processions that close highways. Tomorrow two of our major highways will be closed starting about noon, till 3, maybe 4pm. A cop died, so the procession will start at his church, then go all the way down the main loving corridor highway during pre rush hour, with every policeman in the area attending, down to his family's plot.

Hopefully no emergency vehicles need to get anywhere along 30 loving miles of highway, or anywhere within a few miles of it, because surface street traffic will be hosed.
And hopefully no one NEEDS to call the cops for help because they will all be in the loving procession.

Isn't any time in the world that isn't rush hour considered pre-rush hour? :haw:

But, seriously, it's a cop funeral. Someone who signed up to serve the community. (The guy died so give him a friggin break) I'd be doubly OK with it if it was for a police K9.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does seem a bit unwise to tie up every policeman in the area for two+ hours with prior notice.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

It does seem a bit unwise to tie up every policeman in the area for two+ hours with prior notice.

I dunno. If I was black, it would be nice knowing I was safe for a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I hate how, when you watch a YouTube video as part of a playlist, it automatically advances to the next video as soon as the one you're watching ends, without asking you or even pausing. Even if it's your own "watch later" list. That's not even a proper playlist, it's just a bunch of unrelated videos I saw and might want to watch at some point!