Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
A better overview of ethics divergence and planetary management of that would be nice as well, but that looks like a big change in 1.5 so I'll hold my breath.

Also any kind of additional micro for combat like assigning range or aggressiveness would be extremely nice, yes. Combat as a whole is okay, but I think poo poo needs to die a tad slower and we need more control over how they engage, and it'll improve a lot.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've been toying with the idea of a massive reorientation of the whole naval system so that fleets have fewer, but much stronger, ships. The idea is that battles end more frequently with emergency FTL after some ships go down than with total wipeouts. But forcing an emergency FTL would count for as much in warscore as wiping out the fleet, so you can't just book it forever and expect to win in the long run. This allows for wars to have more of a give-and-take aspect rather than being decided by winning one key battle with the rest being annoying mop-up.

The problem with this, of course, is that it doesn't really get rid of the annoying mop-up so it might just make war even more tedious even if you're less likely to need to completely rebuild your fleet if you get your rear end kicked.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I've been toying with the idea of a massive reorientation of the whole naval system so that fleets have fewer, but much stronger, ships. The idea is that battles end more frequently with emergency FTL after some ships go down than with total wipeouts. But forcing an emergency FTL would count for as much in warscore as wiping out the fleet, so you can't just book it forever and expect to win in the long run. This allows for wars to have more of a give-and-take aspect rather than being decided by winning one key battle with the rest being annoying mop-up.

The problem with this, of course, is that it doesn't really get rid of the annoying mop-up so it might just make war even more tedious even if you're less likely to need to completely rebuild your fleet if you get your rear end kicked.
I mean an obvious test would be to see how the game goes if you double everything; ship strength, build time and cost. What changes? Does this achieve the effect you want?

And also I would loving kill for a stealth-field; my explorers and construction ships would be ideal but actually going full Romulan would be baller as hell too. Yeah I declare war on you fuckers and my battleships are already in orbit! Shoulda upgraded your sensors morons!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That would be a pretty effective way of clowning lower tech species. The question is, will this at all be fun if you're on the other end of the stick?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I can't wait for the ability to ethos-change primitives. I'm pacifist materialist and all these primitive assholes I find are some flavour of xenophobic spiritualist militarist. They need to be educated.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The lack of cool high tech things (namely cloaking like you said) is admittedly a very mild disappointment. The main advantage to better tech is your guns shoot a different color and have bigger numbers attached to them, nothing fundamentally different.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'd like a weapon that magnetises the hulls of enemy ships and makes them slam into each other.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I went through like 220 of your posts and can't find a link to that goon species mod. Is it on steam workshop?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

UHhhh, is the whole "Spawn a new species from your main one" bugged right now? Because I take it they're not supposed to be called just "Meta-" and not have portraits, the same other traits as their host species or not have any pops at all on the planet they say they do...

I had the opposite issue: my new species was just called the same name as the old species.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

tithin posted:

I went through like 220 of your posts and can't find a link to that goon species mod. Is it on steam workshop?

Its on the workshop, just search "goon". It looks like it makes some gameplay changes as well, is that right,or just the species?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So my borders just expanded to take a system from another empire, it has a planet I want to colonize but it looks like it's being terraformed. It's my planet now but I can't cancel the terraforming. It would be really nice if we could cancel such projects once the planet falls inside our borders. Also, never seen the Ai terraform before!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

As an alternative, much faster missiles and damage is instantly applied regardless of apparent flight status?

Problem; that's how it is NOW. Someone in the Paradox Forums tried to work out what the hell is up with missiles and Point Defence and found there's no relation between what you're seeing and the actual effectiveness.

Let me see if I can find it. This came up months and months ago. It even turned up here...

EDIT: Got it. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-missiles-are-a-lie-analysis.984032/

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 26, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Crazycryodude posted:

The lack of cool high tech things (namely cloaking like you said) is admittedly a very mild disappointment. The main advantage to better tech is your guns shoot a different color and have bigger numbers attached to them, nothing fundamentally different.

I agree but the tech system is intentionally kind of boring to prevent regular 4x syndrome where tech is god and having even a slightly early tech advantage leads to huge amounts of snowballing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bloodly posted:

Problem; that's how it is NOW. Someone in the Paradox Forums tried to work out what the hell is up with missiles and Point Defence and found there's no relation between what you're seeing and the actual effectiveness.

Let me see if I can find it. This came up months and months ago. It even turned up here...

EDIT: Got it. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-missiles-are-a-lie-analysis.984032/

Huh, I even remember reading that now.

That's... huh.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So my borders just expanded to take a system from another empire, it has a planet I want to colonize but it looks like it's being terraformed. It's my planet now but I can't cancel the terraforming. It would be really nice if we could cancel such projects once the planet falls inside our borders. Also, never seen the Ai terraform before!

Agreed on cancellation of AI terraformation being nice. For now though, if you colonise it the terraformation will be cancelled.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bloodly posted:

quote:

Changing the cooldown on the red lasers affects the number of missiles shot down, even though the red lasers do not participate in shooting down missiles.
Well, that's... a thing.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Anticheese posted:

That would be a pretty effective way of clowning lower tech species. The question is, will this at all be fun if you're on the other end of the stick?
The thing is, you have to make it a trade-off. If it's fairly energy intensive and has to compete with shields and weapons and goes in the shield/power/armour slot, you're going to end up with an army that while able to surprise the enemy is weaker at actually fighting than pure combat would be. Is the element of surprise enough?

I mean, I really love the idea of space submarines but it wouldn't quite work in Stellaris. You could still get some stealth in; I'd love to be able to gently caress around with fallen empires/ignore closed borders and whatnot.

It would take a bit of tweaking (what would be the advantage? Would the be allowed to sneak away with less losses in a controlled manner for instance?) but it could be very cool.

On the whole, you'd simply want to have poo poo like defense stations have a bonus to detection so the player would maybe actually build them or have scouts out and patrolling and have the view radius viewable maybe? It might be a bit micro heavy but I for one would welcome a bit of micro that isn't fiddling with planets.

Bloodly posted:

I felt as much but it's nice to have confirmation. Why would Stellaris be different from the others in the simulation being different from graphics?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I noticed that sectors don't build up blank tiles. What's up with that?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If they add missile retargeting as an option and make the pd calculation nonncrazy I am definitely going to do a major combat overhaul mod and maybe even publish it.

I have played around with lots of gameplay tweaks for a while, mostly techs and buildings, and found several I feel improve the game, but I really would like to include a combat overhaul which isnt complete without missiles and those cant be fixed through anything I can do. (adding AoE abilities and chain abilities would be icing on the cake)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jerichojx posted:

I feel it has something to do with "respect tile resources" because I started untagging it and they build some but not always.

Nyeh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

jerichojx posted:

I was watching my sectors do stuff last night and I noticed a couple of things:
1) They won't build up a tile unless there's an unemployed or growing pop on the planet to put on it. Which is reasonable.
2) If you have a bunch of unemployed pops and your sector is stockpiling minerals, turning off space based construction results in an explosion of tile building. It seems there's something space based that's seen as a massive priority. Don't know what it is though, since I'd already built their stations. Maybe they were saving up for the station upgrades all in one go?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tithin posted:

Looks like last one was about a week and a half ago. But you're in luck - I've just pushed another update today so we get it again!

GlyphGryph posted:

Just a reminder the Goon Empire Mod exists!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=858191485

Quite a lot of dependencies at this point - but none of them should actually be mandatory, I am pretty sure empires with invalid data fail gracefully in all situations.

Still accepting new submissions: Remember to include the words SPECIES SUBMISSION in your post!

Dirty Frank posted:

Its on the workshop, just search "goon". It looks like it makes some gameplay changes as well, is that right,or just the species?

No changes to how you play. There is one mod that adds a custom empire type for one of the custom empires, but that's it and it's easy to ignore or not include. Everything else is portrait packs, language packs, that sort of thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I felt as much but it's nice to have confirmation. Why would Stellaris be different from the others in the simulation being different from graphics?

They kinda fool you into it with PD being a targeting weapon with a range and everything, and missiles having their own hit points and evasion. It's not unreasonable to think there there's some correlation between the drawn object and its actions given that everything seems to treat it as if there were.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
How is this game overall for multiplayer? I have a group of friends I regularly play with and we've got a variety of things we play. We enjoy the Civ series and Civ 6 is.........ok. It's a lot better from a multiplayer stability point compared to prior Civ games but it's probably not the best Civ game to date (putting it nicely). Hopefully that'll change with expansions. Anyhow, a lot of us are old Master Of Orion fans and we've been curious about this game but have been waiting for a sale.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Glyph I just wanted to say that you're doing the lord's work with this compilation mod. There is nothing better than running into these amazingly bizarre races, and being able to read flavor texts for them is great and adds a lot to the setting - my thanks to all of the goons who have contributed!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Stupid question, is there a big list of what anomaly' I've found somewhere lurking in the UI?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

ulmont posted:

The planet and sectors screen shows each pop on each planet (expand the sectors by clicking on them), so shows you which species are where.

Never knew you could expand the sectors! Awesome, thanks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I usually at least fill every tile on a building with something before handing it over to a sector. I decided to give a newly colonized planet over and see how they did. Everything except build space stations and build robots was turned off.

The first thing the planet did was start building a robot on a +3 mineral tile. Smart, that's what I'd probably do first too except the AI didn't queue up a mine. It built a power plant on top of a +2 energy tile, that's reasonable too. Even with respect tile resources turned off the AI still knows to optimize what it builds to some degree (just isn't forced to build only what the tile bonus provides). I keep checking back from time to time to see how the colony is doing and kept becoming more sad.

It had build 3 robot pops, which it has working on 3 power plants :( It never built a mine on the +3 mineral tile, but it has a human working there. It has a few other humans working raw-bonus tiles but is not building buildings fast enough to keep up with population growth. It once again seems almost like the entire sector can only build one thing at a time. Other buildings are being upgraded/built on other planets in the sector, so this planet waits. Despite thousands of minerals in the bank.

I'm really hoping all the cool changes in sectors coming in Utopia help. The AI should always move pops around to optimize production. If you have a race who has an energy production bonus and a robot and a race with farming bonuses the AI should automatically shuffle them around to use their relevant bonuses. You should never have to worry the AI is going to place a robot working a power plant while a human works a mine.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

It never built a mine on the +3 mineral tile, but it has a human working there. It has a few other humans working raw-bonus tiles but is not building buildings fast enough to keep up with population growth. It once again seems almost like the entire sector can only build one thing at a time.
I'm curious, if you turn off space construction and robots does it magically start building on those tiles?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Has anyone tried using the auto survey mod? It should just give the auto survey tech at the start but it doesn't work even after leaving the game running for a few years as per the comments.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

I usually at least fill every tile on a building with something before handing it over to a sector. I decided to give a newly colonized planet over and see how they did. Everything except build space stations and build robots was turned off.

The first thing the planet did was start building a robot on a +3 mineral tile. Smart, that's what I'd probably do first too except the AI didn't queue up a mine. It built a power plant on top of a +2 energy tile, that's reasonable too. Even with respect tile resources turned off the AI still knows to optimize what it builds to some degree (just isn't forced to build only what the tile bonus provides). I keep checking back from time to time to see how the colony is doing and kept becoming more sad.

It had build 3 robot pops, which it has working on 3 power plants :( It never built a mine on the +3 mineral tile, but it has a human working there. It has a few other humans working raw-bonus tiles but is not building buildings fast enough to keep up with population growth. It once again seems almost like the entire sector can only build one thing at a time. Other buildings are being upgraded/built on other planets in the sector, so this planet waits. Despite thousands of minerals in the bank.

I'm really hoping all the cool changes in sectors coming in Utopia help. The AI should always move pops around to optimize production. If you have a race who has an energy production bonus and a robot and a race with farming bonuses the AI should automatically shuffle them around to use their relevant bonuses. You should never have to worry the AI is going to place a robot working a power plant while a human works a mine.

If this thread has taught me anything is that you should make a bug report with the save file on the Paradox forum because otherwise they struggle to fix the AI

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Has anyone tried using the auto survey mod? It should just give the auto survey tech at the start but it doesn't work even after leaving the game running for a few years as per the comments.

Eh, there are a few of these. The one I use works fine: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784249404

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I jumped back into this because of the NASA exoplanet press release, and I'm having decent fun with it after only putting a few hours into it at release. But I'm reading all this cool stuff in Utopia that makes me think I'll save my second campaign for that. There's no official release date yet?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Splicer posted:

I'm curious, if you turn off space construction and robots does it magically start building on those tiles?

Yeah, turned robots off and now it's chaining buildings fast. It's not building what I'd build, built a frontier hospital instead of a paradise dome even though it was already at 90% habitability. What I'm noticing now is that every planet in every sector has -10% inefficient planetary management penalty, which is apparently a long standing bug that if you put planets into a sector that have that penalty they keep the penalty sometimes seemingly forever.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

GunnerJ posted:

Eh, there are a few of these. The one I use works fine: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784249404

That is the one I have and no dice, will try again.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I use this one for starting auto-explore: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785299768

Though entirely possible it's some other mod already modifying the same files.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Delete missiles from the game.

Replace missiles with "missiles" which act functionally identical to railguns with prettier animations.

Replace point defense with a second type of shields called 'ECM.' Make missiles the king of hull damage (with a giant corvette-sized missile as the giga cannon equivalent). Have energy weapons deal damage to ECM (precision lasers target ecm emitters) but reduced hull damage. Have ballistics continue to do their thing to shields with reduced hull damage. Make missiles have to chew through both shields and ECM before they can deal their hull damage. Have missile carriers prioritize ships with both types of shields down.

So you have to choose whether to target a single defense and slowly whittle through hull, or bringing enough of all three weapons to make short work of something's hull.

Then you can have the giga canon / spinal lance / super missile should just do good damage to everything regardless with the 'choice' of which to bring amounting more to your aesthetic preference.

Disclaimer: this is not a serious post.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I jumped back into this because of the NASA exoplanet press release, and I'm having decent fun with it after only putting a few hours into it at release. But I'm reading all this cool stuff in Utopia that makes me think I'll save my second campaign for that. There's no official release date yet?

no and i wouldn't expect it before april at the earliest since ck2's next big dlc is in march and i doubt paradox would want to compete with themselves for attention

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So it looks like they're changing the bonuses on materialist to give a research bonus plus a robot upkeep bonus. Materialist will be the go-to ethic for having robot-heavy empires beyond the ability to give them right, they'll be cheaper to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Delete missiles from the game.

Replace missiles with "missiles" which act functionally identical to railguns with prettier animations.

Replace point defense with a second type of shields called 'ECM.' Make missiles the king of hull damage (with a giant corvette-sized missile as the giga cannon equivalent). Have energy weapons deal damage to ECM (precision lasers target ecm emitters) but reduced hull damage. Have ballistics continue to do their thing to shields with reduced hull damage. Make missiles have to chew through both shields and ECM before they can deal their hull damage. Have missile carriers prioritize ships with both types of shields down.

So you have to choose whether to target a single defense and slowly whittle through hull, or bringing enough of all three weapons to make short work of something's hull.

Then you can have the giga canon / spinal lance / super missile should just do good damage to everything regardless with the 'choice' of which to bring amounting more to your aesthetic preference.

Disclaimer: this is not a serious post.

Not the worst idea, though, tbh.

• Locked thread