Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have one as a rental right now and it's dreadful. The car itself isn't great either, the steering manages the concurrent trick of being overly weighted and providing no feedback from the road at all. The third door is clever but the rearward visibility is abysmal.

They gave me a Chrysler 200 in the middle of winter with snow on the ground a few years back as a rental. Christ I thought I was gonna die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had a Jeep Renegade rental for a couple of weeks that was pretty dreadful in the steering regard too. You couldn't feel anything at all through the steering wheel and it wanted to return to going straight in turns like nothing I've ever driven before. Like you had to work to keep the steering wheel from returning to center and driving off the road in a curve.

It also made my knees hurt... I don't have a good explanation for that outside of maybe the seating position or something, but my knees returned to normal the day after I got rid of it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

I had a Jeep Renegade rental for a couple of weeks that was pretty dreadful in the steering regard too. You couldn't feel anything at all through the steering wheel and it wanted to return to going straight in turns like nothing I've ever driven before. Like you had to work to keep the steering wheel from returning to center and driving off the road in a curve.

It also made my knees hurt... I don't have a good explanation for that outside of maybe the seating position or something, but my knees returned to normal the day after I got rid of it.

It's the seating position. I noticed that when I was in the Soul for 2 days. It's the upright posture due to the shortened cab size.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

fknlo posted:

I also had a Renegade rental just over a year ago when my Jetta was in for collision repair, and you've given words to my feelings. I couldn't pinpoint why I hated it but it was just so mechanical, I couldn't feel anything. My knees hurt too and I'm only 5'3".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

People with an RS: What are you paying for insurance?

I got an online quote from LIberty Mutual for $300 / month and an online quote from Geico for $110 / month, same coverage. :psyduck:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger next week, as soon as my bank gives me the go-ahead on financing.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

KillHour posted:

I got an online quote from LIberty Mutual for $300 / month and an online quote from Geico for $110 / month, same coverage. :psyduck:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger next week, as soon as my bank gives me the go-ahead on financing.

I've never gotten a good quote from Liberty Mutual. I pay $141 a month for full coverage (USAA) on my RS in Michigan. I held off on buying it until I moved out of Detroit because I got quoted $375 a month.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay, that's much more reasonable. It's good to know the Liberty was the weird one and not Geico.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

xsf421 posted:

I've never gotten a good quote from Liberty Mutual. I pay $141 a month for full coverage (USAA) on my RS in Michigan. I held off on buying it until I moved out of Detroit because I got quoted $375 a month.

I am in a neighboring city to Detroit and pay around 180 a month for my FiST with a super clean driving record and being old as gently caress. Michigan has some really hosed up tort/insurance laws for sure. $141 for an RS sounds amazing, I should call USAA and see what they can do for me.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liberty always gave me silly high quotes too

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Liberty called me after the GTI purchase and gave me a rate more than double what I'm paying through GEICO. Can't complain though, the GTI and Mercedes with absurd limits and 100/500 comp/coll is only $750 for 6 months.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

I am in a neighboring city to Detroit and pay around 180 a month for my FiST with a super clean driving record and being old as gently caress. Michigan has some really hosed up tort/insurance laws for sure. $141 for an RS sounds amazing, I should call USAA and see what they can do for me.

Yeah, 31 with nothing on my driving record, living in Redford. When I was living on the east side of Detroit, Liberty quoted me $3600/6 months for my Fiesta Titanium.

e: Regarding the Renegade, it has some issues under heavy braking. It might be a bit front-heavy.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 25, 2017

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pulled the trigger on a Nitrous Blue RS. I take delivery Monday (would have been today but my bank's closed). :toot:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'm looking at purchasing a new Fiesta ST this year. Would you guys recommend waiting for the new one? The interior looks so much better and I like the new styling of the car as well. The only things I'm concerned about is if we will actually get it here in the states, and if the new engine will be as good as the old one.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

KillHour posted:

Im paying about $170 through state farm for mine (although that includes rental insurance as well).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Partial Octopus posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new Fiesta ST this year. Would you guys recommend waiting for the new one? The interior looks so much better and I like the new styling of the car as well. The only things I'm concerned about is if we will actually get it here in the states, and if the new engine will be as good as the old one.

We're people earlier in the thread saying depreciation is a killer on those in the United States anyway? Why not take advantage of that?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

What do you plan on doing with it? If modifying it I would buy a used one with depreciation since the aftermarket is there. The new one will take a year or two to get as much aftermarket. $5-8k in depreciation is a lot of parts.

Also, the new engine with larger displacement per a cylinder will be nice for lower end torque and drive ability when modding but it won't be enough to matter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hey check out the correct answer below:

dissss posted:

We're people earlier in the thread saying depreciation is a killer on those in the United States anyway? Why not take advantage of that?

dissss posted:

dissss posted:

dissss posted:

dissss posted:

dissss posted:

a used Fiesta ST is the best deal on the planet.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

fyodor posted:

Hey check out the correct answer below:

a used Fiesta ST is the best deal on the planet.

There's one listed 10 miles from me for under $13k. You really can't go wrong for that price.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I have been putting off car shopping until the FiST redesign was unveiled, and now I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm sure the 3 cylinder will sound pissed off and be extremely flingable, but if they plan to keep HP around 197, would that thing have to come pretty much maxed out from the factory?

I don't do a lot of mods or tuning, but just the fact I know it's there makes me content somehow.

I wonder if someone were to buy a brand new 16 or 17 FiST and put it in a climate controlled garage for 20-30 years, what kind of price they would get for it? If this 3 cylinder change over is a flop, I think the 1.6 FiST's might become desirable at some point

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have been putting off car shopping until the FiST redesign was unveiled, and now I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm sure the 3 cylinder will sound pissed off and be extremely flingable, but if they plan to keep HP around 197, would that thing have to come pretty much maxed out from the factory?

I don't do a lot of mods or tuning, but just the fact I know it's there makes me content somehow.

I wonder if someone were to buy a brand new 16 or 17 FiST and put it in a climate controlled garage for 20-30 years, what kind of price they would get for it? If this 3 cylinder change over is a flop, I think the 1.6 FiST's might become desirable at some point

What? the 1.6L I4 is 197 in only the ST trim. The 3cyl is 123 hp.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What about used FoST? Unfortunately, I don't see any used FiST near me but I see plenty of used FoST. They seem to be hovering around $20k, give or take a few grand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

What? the 1.6L I4 is 197 in only the ST trim. The 3cyl is 123 hp.

Next ST is getting a 1.5L 3 cylinder.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mariooncrack posted:

What about used FoST? Unfortunately, I don't see any used FiST near me but I see plenty of used FoST. They seem to be hovering around $20k, give or take a few grand.

That seems like an incredible rip-off considering the FoST has $2,250 on the hood right now and you can get in to one for $23,4 including D&D without negotiating at all.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

2017 Focus STs listed for $22.6 near me, supposedly going for $500 or so below that including all fees. Ford really wants to sell these.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I want to like the new FiST but I have a lot of reservations about the new engine (and I kinda like the idea of a turbo I-3 too)...the 1.6 seems to have been very well tested in a variety of applications from fleet use to racing for almost a decade now and still hasn't showed any significant weaknesses (correct me if I'm wrong) - whereas this will be a brand new engine (also cylinder deactivation on a 3 cylinder intended for performance? WHY?!).

Dr.Caligari posted:

Yea I'm totally aware that I'm currently driving the MKI GTI of the present day and it's totally awesome.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fknlo posted:

Next ST is getting a 1.5L 3 cylinder.

That is just perfect in every way. An angry, odd-numbered cylinder engine is what the fiesta st should be.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Oh, I didn't really look too hard at the new FoST. Looks like they're advertised near me for $24k. My neighbor works for Ford so I think I can get the X-Plan discount on it. How's the deprecation on the FoST compared to the FiST?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

mariooncrack posted:

Oh, I didn't really look too hard at the new FoST. Looks like they're advertised near me for $24k. My neighbor works for Ford so I think I can get the X-Plan discount on it. How's the deprecation on the FoST compared to the FiST?

Not as bad but still... appreciable. Probably looking at 19-20.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

fyodor posted:

That is just perfect in every way. An angry, odd-numbered cylinder engine is what the fiesta st should be.

I hope they don't sit on their hands again when it comes to making it sound really good and just go :effort: and take the symposer route again when they could be outdoing the Abarth at it's own game...

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mariana Horchata posted:

I hope they don't sit on their hands again when it comes to making it sound really good and just go :effort: and take the symposer route again when they could be outdoing the Abarth at it's own game...

Let's hope they don't go for the euro-spec route:

quote:

But inside, it gets new seats to replace the ones that were very uncomfortable before, a new steering wheel, a bunch of new materials, and artificial noise pumped in through the speakers.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-fiesta-st-is-your-new-three-cylinder-turb-1792711087

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mariana Horchata posted:

The symposer wasn't due to laziness but because these cars were developed in Europe they plan them to meet European noise regulations. The Symposer is their way of adding it back in to the "experience."

That said, I would count on the same team working on it and therefore it having the same sedate sound w/o trickery.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
The new Fiesta probably isn't coming to the US. The car was announced in Europe last November. Since then, we've had the LA, Detroit, and Chicago auto shows, and Ford hasn't made any reference to the new car at all. What they have announced is this, which is Fiesta sized but will be way more profitable and probably sell better.

Remember, Mazda did the same thing when they pulled the 2 and gave us the CX-3.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

The symposer wasn't due to laziness but because these cars were developed in Europe they plan them to meet European noise regulations. The Symposer is their way of adding it back in to the "experience."

That said, I would count on the same team working on it and therefore it having the same sedate sound w/o trickery.

Also, new cars have so much sound dampening built in to them now, god forbid Muffy and Chad have to hear anything outside of their bubble.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Thankfully I don't trust Jalopnik to know what the gently caress they are talking about half the time.

TheGoatTrick posted:

The new Fiesta probably isn't coming to the US. The car was announced in Europe last November. Since then, we've had the LA, Detroit, and Chicago auto shows, and Ford hasn't made any reference to the new car at all. What they have announced is this, which is Fiesta sized but will be way more profitable and probably sell better.

Remember, Mazda did the same thing when they pulled the 2 and gave us the CX-3.

Interesting point - but I doubt that would happen, especially when Ford is obviously working to build their ST brand in the USA. It's probably because the Fiesta is a Ford of Europe product as mentioned...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mariana Horchata posted:

Thankfully I don't trust Jalopnik to know what the gently caress they are talking about half the time.

Interesting point - but I doubt that would happen, especially when Ford is obviously working to build their ST brand in the USA. It's probably because the Fiesta is a Ford of Europe product as mentioned...

Yea they have stated on many occasions these are global cars.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Dr.Caligari posted:

I believe that in europe, the FiST is the ST180, which is 180 hp without the overboost function (~200hp). So if they use the same hp nomenclature, the new FiST 1.5 is probably turning around 220ish at the crank. Less total displacement and more power, so more than likely less extra power left on the table. I am very curious about the engine note of the car, 3 cylinder motorcycles sound rad as gently caress.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

PaintVagrant posted:

I believe that in europe, the FiST is the ST180, which is 180 hp without the overboost function (~200hp). So if they use the same hp nomenclature, the new FiST 1.5 is probably turning around 220ish at the crank. Less total displacement and more power, so more than likely less extra power left on the table. I am very curious about the engine note of the car, 3 cylinder motorcycles sound rad as gently caress.

I always thought that they still had the overboost but just weren't allowed to count the additional power in the published output specs due to some sort of Euro law...

Are there any turbo I-3 hot hatches being produced right now? If so I wouldn't mind hearing some of their gnarly sounds.

This is a good official article about the FiST - also I forgot that I once drunkenly friended Matthias Tonn on linkedin to tell him how much I liked his work...so maybe I should hit him up again and just ask straight up if and when. The auxiliary port injection system is a very good thing - I wonder if that's going to become a standard thing on the EcoBoost engines in time?

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/media-room/2017/02/next-gen-ford-fiesta-st-debuts.html

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 27, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mariana Horchata posted:

I always thought that they still had the overboost but just weren't allowed to count the additional power in the published output specs due to some sort of Euro law...
99% sure you're correct.

quote:

Are there any turbo I-3 hot hatches being produced right now? If so I wouldn't mind hearing some of their gnarly sounds.
Not exactly hot, but here's a 1.0 Fiesta with a modified exhaust, the sound of the 1.5 will probably be similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVXmxoIJn8

quote:

The auxiliary port injection system is a very good thing - I wonder if that's going to become a standard thing on the EcoBoost engines in time?
AFAIK that's been on all the second-generation Ecoboosts so far, so it seems like a safe bet.

IMO all direct injected cars should have the auxiliary port injection setup, it provides an easier upgrade path for the fuel system and eliminates the DI carbon buildup issues. As long as EGR remains a thing we need fuel hosing down the backs of the valves.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

99% sure you're correct.

Not exactly hot, but here's a 1.0 Fiesta with a modified exhaust, the sound of the 1.5 will probably be similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEVXmxoIJn8

AFAIK that's been on all the second-generation Ecoboosts so far, so it seems like a safe bet.

IMO all direct injected cars should have the auxiliary port injection setup, it provides an easier upgrade path for the fuel system and eliminates the DI carbon buildup issues. As long as EGR remains a thing we need fuel hosing down the backs of the valves.

How effective is the Italian tune-up method at preventing the inevitable carbon fouling issues anyways? Will a shell blast be inevitable before 100k miles despite me regularly driving mine like it has a rotary engine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mariana Horchata posted:

How effective is the Italian tune-up method at preventing the inevitable carbon fouling issues anyways? Will a shell blast be inevitable before 100k miles despite me regularly driving mine like it has a rotary engine?

I've heard varying tales on how effective it is for pure DI vehicles. Some say some good hard driving will warm up the valves enough that it doesn't stick, others say they drive the poo poo out of it and still needed blasting. I'd like to see some long-term controlled testing, but really the only people in a position to do so in a meaningful way are the automakers who don't exactly want to publicize the build up problem.

I'm just planning to have to do it at some point. I don't expect to go big turbo or full E85 where I could justify an auxiliary fuel system, so it is what it is.