Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

i'm on a stealth game kick atm and i bought Styx: Master of Shadows since it was on sale this week.

it's pretty good. the level design so far is pretty big and dense and all the core mechanics are serviceable.

but...

the story is kinda weird so far. it just dumps plot and worldbuilding within the first fifteen minutes and there's no breathing room in it. it's built up like a frame story where you're being interrogated by humans, but at the same time your character has some kind of plot amnesia? and the dialog is so awkward about it.

Styx: Hey, guy I'm supposed to have know before these events, mind telling me how we met?

Guy He's Supposed To Know Before These Events: What happened, Styx? Did ya get a bump on the head? Sure, I'll tell you about it. By the way, if you run into this other guy, can you kill him? I'll never forgive him for -

Styx: gently caress, alright already! I don't need to hear your whole backstory to kill a guy.

or this nugget of dialog

Interrogator: So why did you think getting captured like this was such a good idea?
Styx: Ha, if you only knew! Which is why I'm gonna tell you *flashback to gameplay*

and the platforming can gently caress over your sneaking sometimes. the game switches between autoclimbing onto ledges you catch or waiting for you to confirm you wanna climb up, but i'm never sure which ledges will trigger auto climbing.

I've beaten the game and while the plot isn't exactly the best you just need to keep on playing and it'll make a lot more sense. The dialogue will always be ridiculously edgy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Last quarter of mgs3 made up for the 6/10 rest of the game. Playing Peace Walker now and it's a huge downgrade from the rest of the series (including original 2d metal gears) I guess that's to be expected from a game originally made for PSP, but it feels like a cheap knockoff of mgs5. Only playing for the story at this point.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Desperate Character posted:

The dialogue will always be ridiculously edgy though.

i hope it never dulls. apparently writing the player character as unlikeable as possible is enough to get me to forego nonlethal and just clean up entire rooms.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Gotta love all those 2D Drawn comic book style cutscenes in MGS Peace Walker where you can zoom in and ladies clothes start dissapearing. Including one with a 16 year old girl. Welp, god drat it Japan get it together.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Action Tortoise posted:

i hope it never dulls. apparently writing the player character as unlikeable as possible is enough to get me to forego nonlethal and just clean up entire rooms.

Of Orcs And Men was similarly janky, but I found it weirdly endearing for that exact reason. Absolutely no reason to be nice when Styx and his buddy were swearing up a storm every conversation.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

poptart_fairy posted:

Of Orcs And Men was similarly janky, but I found it weirdly endearing for that exact reason. Absolutely no reason to be nice when Styx and his buddy were swearing up a storm every conversation.

ah, thank you, i wasn't sure if this game had any ties to Of Orcs and Men. apparently there's gonna be a sequel to Styx coming this march.

Styx being an edgelord in a world that seems like that's the default mode for everybody has detached me from the story in such a way that i care more about finding all the collectibles in the area rather than seeing where all of this plays out in the end.

that's not a bad thing. i like the predator stealthing this game lets you do and i like the balance between quick versus silent kills this game has.

the bad thing is that this game responds weird to my controller. it reacts to face buttons and the sticks during menus, but when i have to play the game, the sticks are completely unresponsive. that's fine, it handles perfectly well on kb+m.

but, there's no quicksave button. there's manual saving and the game loads saves pretty quickly, but the menu navigation feels like it was designed for a controller, yet it won't recognize my controller. it's a throwback to classic stealth games and plays well with pc controls, but doesn't facilitate savescumming the way classic stealth games knew its playerbase committed several times.

it's no dealbreaker, just some odd minutiae.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Kontradaz posted:

Last quarter of mgs3 made up for the 6/10 rest of the game. Playing Peace Walker now and it's a huge downgrade from the rest of the series (including original 2d metal gears) I guess that's to be expected from a game originally made for PSP, but it feels like a cheap knockoff of mgs5. Only playing for the story at this point.

Chip and Void Burg (I think) did a really good LP of Peace Walker so if you just want the story and tidbits watching their run would suffice if you are not enjoying PW.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

I hate the day/night cycle in The Witcher. Everytime I want to hand in a side quest or something I have to find a campfire to rest at because the questgiver only exists between 3pm and 4pm or whatever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inferior posted:

I hate the day/night cycle in The Witcher. Everytime I want to hand in a side quest or something I have to find a campfire to rest at because the questgiver only exists between 3pm and 4pm or whatever.

At least in GTA V they sped up the clock so you didn't have to wait for the right time to start the mission.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alhazred posted:

At least in GTA V they sped up the clock so you didn't have to wait for the right time to start the mission.

Probably because they got a bunch of complaints about RDR having the same issue.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Feonir posted:

Chip and Void Burg (I think) did a really good LP of Peace Walker so if you just want the story and tidbits watching their run would suffice if you are not enjoying PW.

Snark Cookie, not Void Burger. Everyone makes that mistake.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Kontradaz posted:

Gotta love all those 2D Drawn comic book style cutscenes in MGS Peace Walker where you can zoom in and ladies clothes start dissapearing. Including one with a 16 year old girl. Welp, god drat it Japan get it together.

To be fair, it only said Paz was 16. She looks 13.

Christ that game has cringy moments and Paz is the cringiest character in the entire franchise, and that's including the security guard in Revengeance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Screaming Idiot posted:

To be fair, it only said Paz was 16. She looks 13.

Christ that game has cringy moments and Paz is the cringiest character in the entire franchise, and that's including the security guard in Revengeance.

She's the one that got womb-bombed right?

Gold ole MGS. :suicide:

Anyway I've been playing Nights of Azure because it came in a bundle with Atelier Sophie and I have no standards. The gameplay is actually surprisingly fun in a mindless hack and slash sense, but what drags it down is how poorly the game communicates about one of its core aspects. You see, you can summon up to four minions at a time and have them just wreck poo poo. But at no point does the game tell you that you can summon all four at once. In fact the tutorial goes out of its way to only let you summon one. Then the minions grow and sort of change shape as they level up, and it's not explained at all. So I have no clue if I should just keep using this terrible fairy thing and hope it turns into a giant buff fairy monster, or swap it out for something better.

Except that's a trick question because this awful fairy is one of like two healing minions in the game, and it's the only one that heals your other minions.

I also keep accidentally forwarding the plot when all I want to do is progress side quests.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nuebot posted:

She's the one that got womb-bombed right?

Ground Zeroes was my first experience with Metal Gear Solid and it put me off that series for several more years.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I didn't like it because I played it after Phantom Pain and Snake didn't feel right

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Ground Zeroes was my first experience with Metal Gear Solid and it put me off that series for several more years.

well, you just weren't used to the kojima way

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Should have started with 3 and pretended the rest of the series doesn't exist.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

I didn't like it because I played it after Phantom Pain and Snake didn't feel right

he doesn't talk as much. there's no real character in snake now since he doesn't really bounce off other characters like in past games. the rest of the cast are all over the place with their personalities as well because kaz is a broken paranoid obsessive and ocelot is the most lucid of the trio, but that just means we're talking to a mask at this point.

and huey...well, gently caress huey.

snake talks more in tapes and actually has somewhat of a personality, but it's muddled because of the big twist in the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

if you listened to the Paz tapes then i don't blame you. that was some of the darkest poo poo i've heard in the games and none of it really matters after that game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Action Tortoise posted:

he doesn't talk as much. there's no real character in snake now since he doesn't really bounce off other characters like in past games. the rest of the cast are all over the place with their personalities as well because kaz is a broken paranoid obsessive and ocelot is the most lucid of the trio, but that just means we're talking to a mask at this point.

snake talks more in tapes and actually has somewhat of a personality, but it's muddled because of the big twist in the game.

I mean Snake in Ground Zeroes didn't feel right compared to Phantom Pain, for obvious reasons of course. I think I got the inverse impression of everyone who played them in the right order.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

I mean Snake in Ground Zeroes didn't feel right compared to Phantom Pain, for obvious reasons of course. I think I got the inverse impression of everyone who played them in the right order.

there's barely anything of the guy in ground zeroes, though. he says maybe a few lines, but you're mostly hearing miller during gameplay.

i just got to the parts in Styx with the gimmick enemies. they're pretty bad, especially since their gimmick is that they're sensitive to sound, but only the sounds you're making. i dropped a body near them and they decided to swarm up to the cause of the noise, but they never attacked the enemies even though those guys are making noise with their hammers and soundbytes.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Action Tortoise posted:

Seriously. Why do you keep this guy around? The moment you let him roam free he starts building giant walking tanks and fucks it up for everyone. Everytime he fucks up hes all like "NoNo i really love diamond dogs! You guys are great! i just wan't to help!" and everyone just lets him do his poo poo again after being pissed at him for a bit.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Shai-Hulud posted:

The moment you let him roam free he starts building giant walking tanks ...

Hope that what comes after this quote is not going to happen this time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Seriously. Why do you keep this guy around? The moment you let him roam free he starts building giant walking tanks and fucks it up for everyone. Everytime he fucks up hes all like "NoNo i really love diamond dogs! You guys are great! i just wan't to help!" and everyone just lets him do his poo poo again after being pissed at him for a bit.

And that thing isn't a dog, it's a wolf! It's a wolf can nobody else tell it's a wolf and not a dog as the camera slowly pans up to Big Boss like that one south park episode where Butters' parents try to murder him and they yell all about how it was their fault and the camera focuses on those guys who had obviously murdered their own kids but blamed it on some Puerto Ricans

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and the Femto fight during the Eclipse is annoying as poo poo. Mostly because there's this whole gimmick about slowing your movement speed way down as well as how Femto is constantly attacking you with knockback moves.

Also kind of annoying is how they censor a bunch of scenes. Like I'm pretty sure the only people playing a Berserk game are fine with the content that is in Berserk. Even then the game has a toggle for showing gore, I don't know why they couldn't have one for nudity too if people don't want to see it. Although even with the gore option on they still censor scenes with stuff like Pippen's death during the Eclipse making absolutely no sense because they cut away for the entire thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Feonir posted:

Hope that what comes after this quote is not going to happen this time.

One thing the game really, really lacked was the option to just choke him out and throw him in the ocean at any point in time for a time paradox game over featuring otacon screaming.

muscles like this! posted:

Playing Berserk and the Band of the Hawk and the Femto fight during the Eclipse is annoying as poo poo. Mostly because there's this whole gimmick about slowing your movement speed way down as well as how Femto is constantly attacking you with knockback moves.

Sounds pretty good to get you into the guts angry screaming mindset.

muscles like this! posted:

Although even with the gore option on they still censor scenes with stuff like Pippen's death during the Eclipse making absolutely no sense because they cut away for the entire thing.

This sounds like a bummer though. That scene was neat. Does giant slug apostle guy show up at all?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

And that thing isn't a dog, it's a wolf! It's a wolf can nobody else tell it's a wolf and not a dog as the camera slowly pans up to Big Boss like that one south park episode where Butters' parents try to murder him and they yell all about how it was their fault and the camera focuses on those guys who had obviously murdered their own kids but blamed it on some Puerto Ricans

I love how everyone gives him the biggest 'are you loving serious?!' look when he brings that up to detract from all the accusations he can't contend.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zoh9xI0huA
:patriot:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

he's Hideo Kojima as seen by Konami and through Kojima's bizarre sense of humour

he's wearing Kojima's glasses in a few scenes

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I love how everyone gives him the biggest 'are you loving serious?!' look when he brings that up to detract from all the accusations he can't contend.

"No I didn't kill her! And even if I did, what gives you the right to judge me?!"

now that's an alibi i can get into

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I liked the tape where Huey started gushing about the Les Enfants Terribles project, dropping all this classified information about how Snake's mortal enemy took Snake's DNA to make clones without his consent, at which point Snake coolly asks how exactly Huey got all this information and Huey just starts sputtering and backtracking before Snake rolls his eye and calls in Ocelot for another Cripple Torture Power Hour.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he's Hideo Kojima as seen by Konami and through Kojima's bizarre sense of humour

he's wearing Kojima's glasses in a few scenes

holy poo poo, that's an interesting read on the character.

he can't stop making metal gears, and his latest creation that's meant to outdo all the previous ones is an unfinished mess that requires bullshit mysticism to "work" properly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I guess I'm just getting old but I am dying all the loving time in RE7. Why is this poo poo so hard?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Invisible Inc allowing guards to path into your starting room is hot loving garbage. Every time it happens I feel cheated. You know nothing about the level when you first enter it so you essentially have to blow the first turn just getting into cover in case some rear end in a top hat wanders in, or you just roll the dice and hope you don't get hosed. Each turn raises the security level so you don't want to waste turns, but messing with a guard in the first turn really complicates your run (and if you don't ambush them they also raise the alarm level so whelp turn wasted as well). It shouldn't happen and there's no excuse for it as far as I'm concerned.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oldpainless posted:

I guess I'm just getting old but I am dying all the loving time in RE7. Why is this poo poo so hard?

Well, you've got a guard button and that's about it. I mean, you could maybe possible crouch under an attack but otherwise :shrug:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

daddy dont gently caress around

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Futuresight posted:

Invisible Inc allowing guards to path into your starting room is hot loving garbage. Every time it happens I feel cheated. You know nothing about the level when you first enter it so you essentially have to blow the first turn just getting into cover in case some rear end in a top hat wanders in, or you just roll the dice and hope you don't get hosed. Each turn raises the security level so you don't want to waste turns, but messing with a guard in the first turn really complicates your run (and if you don't ambush them they also raise the alarm level so whelp turn wasted as well). It shouldn't happen and there's no excuse for it as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, there's an option for that in the custom settings if you feel that guards going in the starting room are too much of a hassle.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Thanks but that nerfs the guard patrols further in the level and I like the challenge they bring outside the starting room.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing through Yakuza 0 right now, and as always with minigames of this type, I honestly have to wonder why the hell gambling minigames are ever present, in any game. They're not fun, they're obviously angled against you, and some of the ones present here, especially the Japanese gambling games, are just boring garbage.

Take cho-han, for example: someone rolls two dice, and you guess if it's going to add up to an even or an odd number. That's it. That's the game. Might as well flip a coin and give me money on heads or take it away on tails.

Oichi-kabu annoyed the hell out of me, too: It's sort of like baccarat, where you are dealt some cards, add them together, and try to get a higher number in the 1's digit of the sum than the banker. The rules are dead-simple, there's no strategy to it, and when you lose it doesn't feel like you made a wrong choice or anything, it feels like you got hosed by the game and nothing you could've done would've changed it. Do you have a score of 2 and think it's smart to draw a card? Oops you drew a 10 and your score is unchanged and now you've lost your money and time.

All traditional gambling in video games is bad. At least previous Yakuza games had cheat items that would essentially make you win instantly. I have no idea why they took them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
For a game like yakuza it's the kitchen sink approach where they want to let you do a bunch of stuff even if it doesn't necessarily jive as a whole.