Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dr. Furious posted:

There's probably a bunch of cool fossils and poo poo in Antarctica.

Incredibly, unbelievably huge coal deposits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Unormal posted:

Anyone who is stockpiling closets full of beans instead of farm animals is the dumbest loving city slicker in the whole world.
I can name a half-dozen dudes stockpiling guns and ammo and I'm pretty sure they know at least 2 or three more, each.

I'm the only person I've *ever* met whosebrought up in conversation with these guys, "you know who the only irreplaceable person in Mad Max was? The guy with the gyrocopter."

And as for "the moment it hits I'm breaking into a pharmacy," good luck in your shootout with junkies, cops, military, business owners, and security guards. How long will those antibiotics remain valuable, anyway? I had some out of date Tinactin and it sure as poo poo didn't do anything on my athelete's foot. :allears:

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

coyo7e posted:

I can name a half-dozen dudes stockpiling guns and ammo and I'm pretty sure they know at least 2 or three more, each.

I'm the only person I've *ever* met whosebrought up in conversation with these guys, "you know who the only irreplaceable person in Mad Max was? The guy with the gyrocopter."

And as for "the moment it hits I'm breaking into a pharmacy," good luck in your shootout with junkies, cops, military, business owners, and security guards. How long will those antibiotics remain valuable, anyway? I had some out of date Tinactin and it sure as poo poo didn't do anything on my athelete's foot. :allears:

On this note, do preppers ever have huge libraries in their bunkers, or do they just think that god will show them the way when they emerge?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Unormal posted:

Living somewhere you can't have farm animals and fantasizing that you'll live.

Oooh, look at this guy, day-dreaming that he'll have dirt. Cows can't breathe water, bro.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fasdar posted:

On this note, do preppers ever have huge libraries in their bunkers, or do they just think that god will show them the way when they emerge?
In my personal experience they have secret safe-rooms in their house full of buckets of rice and beans and ammo and batteries, but they have to call people up to get the lighting working right. None of them have anything even nearing consumer-grade HVAC systems which you might want for an end of world scenario - ie filtration, backup replacements and cleaning gear, etc.. I mean I learnt that poo poo working on HOT TUBS as a kid it's not rocket surgery.

edit: if I was diabetic and serious about doomsday prep, I'd be working in some kind of medical field or whatever field it takes to make your own insulin - I'm entirely ignorant about insulin sorry

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 23, 2017

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Ratoslov posted:

Oooh, look at this guy, day-dreaming that he'll have dirt. Cows can't breathe water, bro.

My closets are stuffed full of top soil. Checkmate city slicker.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

coyo7e posted:

In my personal experience they have secret safe-rooms in their house full of buckets of rice and beans and ammo and batteries, but they have to call people up to get the lighting working right. None of them have anything even nearing consumer-grade HVAC systems which you might want for an end of world scenario - ie filtration, backup replacements and cleaning gear, etc.. I mean I learnt that poo poo working on HOT TUBS as a kid it's not rocket surgery.

edit: if I was diabetic and serious about doomsday prep, I'd be working in some kind of medical field or whatever field it takes to make your own insulin - I'm entirely ignorant about insulin sorry
Expressing and purifying insulin actually isn't the hard part - it's quantifying its activity accurately so you don't overdose and die.

My wife is possibly going to be helping out a lab in the third world. They booted up a renal transplant program but the patients are dying because they can't accurately assess the anti-rejection steroid levels. All the recipients end up dying from systemic infection due to too much drug. The transplant surgery itself is pretty basic.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 23, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Cool that's interesting to me at least, but for real, the lifespan of meds is goig to be a massive, massive threat to every human being on earth when all the antibiotics are past their expiry and people take them desperately to cure basic infections like I see happenig in the zombie/etc shows.. Basically they're gauranteeing to kill off 90% of the healthy population of survivors - due to an incurable superbug (I can write this scene in my post-apoc movie.. somebody gets a bad scratch or even a minor one and takes a bunch of anti biotics, but they've got this wracking cough that won't stop.. then they find a settlement of survivors, but their super-TB just won't quit!). After all the sht went bad and everybody has been in stone age for like a year or two.

Make yourself useful and learn something that is viable. Become McGyver because we all will suffer if ther'es not enough mcgyvers hiding in gen-pop.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Unormal posted:

Living somewhere you can't have farm animals and fantasizing that you'll live.

Stock up on antibiotics and coffee and powdered lemonade and barter instead if you live in a city, I guess. (Really just join the military. Nuclear sub seems like a nice place to be when everything else is going to poo poo, just bring fishing gear.)

Farm animals require an enormous amount of land -- and, as we know from reading this thread -- they are a very inefficient way to produce nutrition for humans. If you have enough land to "have farm animals" and survive, you have enough land to produce a great excess of food for you and your community instead. Having conspicuous farm animals is going to be a great way to attract poachers and rustlers in the near future, when meat is a rarer commodity, by the way.
Some fish and ducks in your ponds to eat mosquito larvae and slugs is a different matter, but you're not going to be living off them.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Just buy a tank of pure helium and keep it in the closet until the time comes you fuckin' sad sacks.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Placid Marmot posted:

Farm animals require an enormous amount of land -- and, as we know from reading this thread -- they are a very inefficient way to produce nutrition for humans. If you have enough land to "have farm animals" and survive, you have enough land to produce a great excess of food for you and your community instead. Having conspicuous farm animals is going to be a great way to attract poachers and rustlers in the near future, when meat is a rarer commodity, by the way.
Some fish and ducks in your ponds to eat mosquito larvae and slugs is a different matter, but you're not going to be living off them.
You're making a ton of assumptions based on a thing called "farm animals", which i am fairly confident that you cannot even define without googling up a wikipedia definition.,

You're working from a position of lack of information, so I'd suggest you look up something like the last 40+ year os Mothe Earth News and then reclassify "farm animals" as "*NOT cows unless you get large-scale*.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Placid Marmot posted:

I'm 100% certain you've never stepped foot on a farm. The upside of things like poultry is that they turn calories that you wouldn't otherwise consume into eggs (giving you proteins, fats and amino acids that might be hard to come by with whatever plants you can grow wherever) at a pretty good FCR (like less than 2 for poultry), including all kinds of waste, human-inedible plants and insects. You can have a flock of guinea fowl and they'll turn your field ticks into breakfast at a rate of 1+ egg per birdday; all this while consuming 0 arabale land (you can farm their forage land), and in fact removing insect pests from your acreage and playing guard-dog. Fuckers will eat your strawberries though.

Poachers and rustlers in the near future, lol. We've got poachers every day with racoons, which I guarantee are harder to keep out of the coops than you would be.

You want sustainable carbon-neutral food production, hard to beat a flock of guinea fowl eating bugs laying 100 calories per birdday of food, and self-replicating. Certainly better than a closet of bean cans.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 23, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Unormal posted:

I'm 100% certain you've never stepped foot on a farm. The upside of things like poultry is that they turn calories that you wouldn't otherwise consume into eggs (giving you proteins, fats and amino acids that might be hard to come by with whatever plants you can grow wherever) at a pretty good FCR (like less than 2 for poultry), including all kinds of waste, human-inedible plants and insects. You can have a flock of guinea fowl and they'll turn your field ticks into breakfast at a rate of 1+ egg per birdday; all this while consuming 0 arabale land, and in fact removing insect pests from your acreage and playing guard-dog. Fuckers will eat your strawberries though.

Poachers and rustlers in the near future, lol. We've got poachers every day with racoons, which I guarantee are harder to keep out of the coops than you would be.
yeah this was my point. a 2-4 person family can easily raise and house few pigs, a few dozen chickens, and a few dozen sheep without even rbeaking their day jobs in my own personal experience.

Cows are too big to bother with and honestly hae very little use unless you think everybody needs to drink 8-12 oz of milk a day to be a healthy human - seriously. I'd rather raise 2 dozen sheep (and sheep are the annoying autists of the hobby-farmer world - right down to using ricks to move them that work on :spergin: ) and I loving hate sheep - largely because it's so unpleasant to castrate and dock them as lambs when you personally birthed them - but hey food is food.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Honestly coming from city life when I finally realized how goddamn amazing farm animals were I was pretty gasp-out-loud shocked.

Chickens turn BUGS INTO EGGS?

Sheep turn GRASS INTO CLOTHES?

Horses turn GRASS INTO TRANSPORT AND HEAVY LABOR?

Pigs turn GARBAGE INTO BACON?

Like holy poo poo these pre-industrial folks had something good going. We done hosed it up good.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Unormal posted:

I'm 100% certain you've never stepped foot on a farm. The upside of things like poultry is that they turn calories that you wouldn't otherwise consume into eggs (giving you proteins, fats and amino acids that might be hard to come by with whatever plants you can grow wherever) at a pretty good FCR (like less than 2 for poultry), including all kinds of waste, human-inedible plants and insects. You can have a flock of guinea fowl and they'll turn your field ticks into breakfast at a rate of 1+ egg per birdday; all this while consuming 0 arabale land (you can farm their forage land), and in fact removing insect pests from your acreage and playing guard-dog. Fuckers will eat your strawberries though.

You want sustainable carbon-neutral food production, hard to beat a flock of guinea fowl eating bugs laying 100 calories per birdday of food, and self-replicating. Certainly better than a closet of bean cans.

Under what scenario do you imagine that whatever's left of an actual standing military won't just come through and take your poo poo?

Sure, raise chickens or whatever(I probably would be if I wasn't renting in the middle of a city), but lmao @ these romanticized delusions about the collapse of society you weirdos have.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Unormal posted:

Yeah, apart from that I lived on a farm with sheep, ducks and chickens for years.
Composting also turns inedible things into calories and there's nothing to catch diseases, give you diseases, be predated, be stolen, or make you a target. If you encourage wild birds and predatory insects, they will not only eat your ticks but they will digest them and deposit them back on your land in the form of fertilizer.
Large farm animals (lambs and larger) require greatly more area to generate each calorie of human-edible food than just about any plants that you can grow. If you have several acres, then maybe you can sustain a few large animals and yourself, but you do so at much greater risk than by cultivating a large variety of plants with appropriate, helpful small animals.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dr. Furious posted:

There's probably a bunch of cool fossils and poo poo in Antarctica.
There are
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryolophosaurus
My friend who is the curator of Vertebrate Paleontology at the Carnegie Museum went on expedition to Antarctica for a couple of months last year and found a bunch of cool marine fossils there.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

*took post to it's proper thread*

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 23, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
There's a whole new thread for apocalypse survival chat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Unormal posted:

Honestly coming from city life when I finally realized how goddamn amazing farm animals were I was pretty gasp-out-loud shocked.

Like holy poo poo these pre-industrial folks had something good going. We done hosed it up good.

Who was it just a minute ago predicting that these prepper guys were city slickers who got really excited about trips to the country?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
This thread is all idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Unormal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Where can I find the thread on climate science?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

Where can I find the thread on climate science?

It died with NASA.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
This is environmental-cleanup-adjacent at best, but I got a kick out of it.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/02/mr-trash-wheels-professor-trash-wheels-baltimore-harbor-ocean-trash-pickup/

They are our giant googly-eyed trash robot friends

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Remember that video I posted from a climate scientist last year, which was discussing how the Atlantic Thermohaline Circuit could shut down in a matter of years rather than previous projections?

Looks like that's getting coverage now:
Drastic cooling in North Atlantic beyond worst fears, scientists warn

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Quick note:
As expected, Antarctic sea ice is at a record minimum extent and 2nd place to 1993 in record minimum area. That one is a tough record to crack, and I don't think it will be done this year.

Arctic sea ice has been fluctuating still in the top 3 lowest extent / area, and the ice looks like complete poo poo. Unless we get some crazy loving cooling and storms, we're in for a hell of a ride this year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

Post-apocalypse survivalist types have always puzzled me a little

I mean there's barely any point to being alive now, let alone when civilization goes belly-up

They generally assume they'll be Immortan Joe instead of Random Mutated Person Barely Surviving and Begging for Water #87,536.

More likely they'll be Irradiated Corpse #WE-STOPPED-COUNTING

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Just in case you were having a good weekend:

That Works posted:

We've altered the definition of 'air pollutants' to not include any actual pollutants. You're welcome.
Spread the word about this colossal bullshit called H.R. 637.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Evil_Greven posted:

Just in case you were having a good weekend:

Spread the word about this colossal bullshit called H.R. 637.

My favorite bit is "out of touch with the views of the American people"

Your opinions really do matter in Washington :allears:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Who needs the environment when someone has a job posted:

“(2) EXCLUSION.—The term ‘air pollutant’ does not include carbon dioxide, water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide, hydrofluorocarbons, perfluorocarbons, or sulfur hexafluoride.”.

(2) NO REGULATION OF CLIMATE CHANGE.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, nothing in any of the following Acts or any other law authorizes or requires the regulation of climate change or global warming:

(A) The Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7401 et seq.).

(B) The Federal Water Pollution Control Act (33 U.S.C. 1251 et seq.).

(C) The National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321 et seq.).

(D) The Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.).

(E) The Solid Waste Disposal Act (42 U.S.C. 6901 et seq.).

(b) Effect On Final Rules Of The EPA.—In accordance with this section, the following final rules (or any similar or successor rules) of the Environmental Protection Agency shall be void and have no force or effect:

(1) The final rule entitled “Oil and Natural Gas Sector: Emission Standards for New, Reconstructed, and Modified Sources” (published at 81 Fed. Reg. 35823 (June 3, 2016)).

(2) The final rule entitled “Carbon Pollution Emission Guidelines for Existing Stationary Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units” (published at 80 Fed. Reg. 64661 (October 23, 2015)).

SEC. 4. JOBS ANALYSIS FOR ALL EPA REGULATIONS.

(a) In General.—Before proposing or finalizing any regulation, rule, or policy, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall provide an analysis of the regulation, rule, or policy and describe the direct and indirect net and gross impact of the regulation, rule, or policy on employment in the United States.

(b) Limitation.—No regulation, rule, or policy described in subsection (a) shall take effect if the regulation, rule, or policy has a negative impact on employment in the United States unless the regulation, rule, or policy is approved by Congress and signed by the President.
Time to burn all dow... Oh, wait, they're already working on that. No problems here!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The DoD is already just using "sea level rise" because you can't deny that naval installations are flooding.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

syscall girl posted:

My favorite bit is "out of touch with the views of the American people"

Your opinions really do matter in Washington :allears:

my favorite is "I'm all for policies by making policies - but, I don't like policies"

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Haha yes all the "regulation" of climate change that has been going on is just out of control. I suppose we'll just have to focus on:

Drought
Sea Level Rise
Wildfires
Extreme Rainstorms
Flooding
Extreme Snowstorms
More intense hurricanes and tropical storms
Increased erosion
Increased crop failures and overall agricultural water demand
Expanding disease ranges
Massive Tree Die Off
Degradation of Water Quality from Forested Watersheds
Increases in Invasive Species
Infrastructure Degradation
Sea Level Rise
Increased subsidence due to declining/rising water tables
Increased worldwide refugee influx

and so on, instead. (This is literally what we're already doing at the (as of now) fed funded climate change impacts lab I work for. It is even more depressing than what we were doing already.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
my family has some beachfront property that's a stone's throw from the ocean - and I really am hoping they sell it off before a particularly weird surge of waves brings the whole thing down.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
And to think, a few days ago we were marveling at what a mild winter this had been.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Exactly, usually it's too cold there for that much snow to fall. idgi :shrug:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Yeah at the same relative humidity, you're gonna get way more snow at -2C than -12C, that's just basic meteorology.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

coyo7e posted:

my family has some beachfront property that's a stone's throw from the ocean - and I really am hoping they sell it off before a particularly weird surge of waves brings the whole thing down.

Start preaching about how much land that beachfront property would get them in Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Yeah at the same relative humidity, you're gonna get way more snow at -2C than -12C, that's just basic meteorology.

What? Snow/water ratios increase at lower temperatures until a certain point. The same amount of moisture falling will produce more snow at -12C than -2C.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Exactly, usually it's too cold there for that much snow to fall. idgi :shrug:

It's almost never too cold to snow, merely too dry.