Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There's so much potential for Nioh x Samurai Warriors stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Pingiivi posted:

This is the correct thing to do.

This is fantastic.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Finished the game. Best part about the end is Clock-cat is back. Ending song seems a bit out of place.

Now for NG+.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Meiteron posted:

There's no way to make the NG+ version of missions play their cutscenes, is there? It's a bit disappointing that every cutscene is skipped since I sort of wanted to go back and look at the early plot now that I actually know who all these people are, who they work for, and what they're doing.

Head into Basic Game Settings and set Skip Watched Movies to manual instead of automatic, they'll play as normal and you can just skip any you don't want to see yourself.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Monolith. posted:

Finished the game. Best part about the end is Clock-cat is back. Ending song seems a bit out of place.

Now for NG+.

Scratch that, now I beat it.

What an amazing game.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Oh god.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I bought this yesterday and while I'm very good at Souls games I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm horrible at this!!

Well, it has a pretty amazingly similar difficulty curve and overall style feel to DS1/2 at least, so it's not unexected but I've been grinding the first 30 enemies repeatedly to be good enough to get past the first area and after my best run yet and a bit of a mad scramble, I finally got to the (third?) bonfire and now I'm at a door that Does Not Open From This Side that overlooks No-Man's Wharf (or maybe it's just the ship to the Last Bastille. I don't know because I'm on the wrong side of the door and I couldn't possibly climb this fence!)

Somehow I've not yet lost any souls but it's only a matter of time. Gitting Gud is still a ways off. I'm bigly a dodge/lightroller in DS games and rarely parry, what should I be attempting to do defensively in this game for best effect? I assume a lot of this is already discussed, apologies but I'm trying to avoid spoilers/learning the best build without trying some out organically first. I still haven't lost a fight to a Revenant yet, but it took me 2 or 3 fights before I realized they weren't just in-game standard encounters, the first few dudes' ghosts I fought had reasonably-enough named gamertags/capitalization that it could have been a NPC's name (something you do not have happen in Xbox games much). RIP Executioner Derek.

Also there had better be a Praise The Sun emote somewhere...

I'm playing monumentally blind so I chose dual-swords and swords and the bird-guardian thing, hopefully these were not awful choices like my usual first attempt at DS games where I somehow pick the one class/gift/whatever that's the shittiest and weakest for the first 2/3rds of NG. I am digging the more visceral swordplay and kills that comes about from all the dual-sword slashing and flailing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm using pretty much just a spear and want to dip into ninjitsu and magic. What are some essentials to pick up in those trees?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Co-op Nioh is good and fun.

Need more cups

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Got some good footage to go up after work

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm playing monumentally blind

Why stop now?

Also try out the block button. It's really good.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

I bought this yesterday and while I'm very good at Souls games I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm horrible at this!!

Well, it has a pretty amazingly similar difficulty curve and overall style feel to DS1/2 at least, so it's not unexected but I've been grinding the first 30 enemies repeatedly to be good enough to get past the first area and after my best run yet and a bit of a mad scramble, I finally got to the (third?) bonfire and now I'm at a door that Does Not Open From This Side that overlooks No-Man's Wharf (or maybe it's just the ship to the Last Bastille. I don't know because I'm on the wrong side of the door and I couldn't possibly climb this fence!)

Somehow I've not yet lost any souls but it's only a matter of time. Gitting Gud is still a ways off. I'm bigly a dodge/lightroller in DS games and rarely parry, what should I be attempting to do defensively in this game for best effect? I assume a lot of this is already discussed, apologies but I'm trying to avoid spoilers/learning the best build without trying some out organically first. I still haven't lost a fight to a Revenant yet, but it took me 2 or 3 fights before I realized they weren't just in-game standard encounters, the first few dudes' ghosts I fought had reasonably-enough named gamertags/capitalization that it could have been a NPC's name (something you do not have happen in Xbox games much). RIP Executioner Derek.

Also there had better be a Praise The Sun emote somewhere...

I'm playing monumentally blind so I chose dual-swords and swords and the bird-guardian thing, hopefully these were not awful choices like my usual first attempt at DS games where I somehow pick the one class/gift/whatever that's the shittiest and weakest for the first 2/3rds of NG. I am digging the more visceral swordplay and kills that comes about from all the dual-sword slashing and flailing.
:hf:
You and me both. There's so many things similar to Souls games but all of the little gameplay differences are screwing me. The enemies having much longer attack reach, and being much better at stunlocking you(and you can't dodge out of a combo like in Bloodborne), the pressing l1 to recharge ki at the right time, the living weapon stuff. And the stats and UI have a bunch of vagaries that make telling the advantages and disadvantages between armor and weapons a huge pain. Right now I'm stuck at the second boss in the hold of the ship. It's mainly his second phase that keeps screwing me, because the dodge timing is wildly different than Bloodborne and those iron balls hit like a train.
These aren't enough to turn me off the game completely but until I get the hang of it the struggles with pointless little bullshit are doing a lot to not endear the game to me.

Edit: Kusarigama are rad, though, and I wish more games featured them.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2017

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I would love a prequel game about Yasuke. It'd get to play around more with the major players during Nobunaga's reign and even follow the same general premise of "foreigner arrives in Japan, befriends big important man, becomes cool sword dude". Toss in some demons and maybe a wizard or two and you've got yourself Nioh Zero.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Can I just farm normal mode Umi Bozu for Eyestones?

Yes. Just remember to set the kodama blessing for materials for an even better chance to get it. The droprate it pretty decent though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

WaltherFeng posted:

There's so much potential for Nioh x Samurai Warriors stuff.
He's already going to be in the next Warriors game, dunno whether it's Samurai or Orochi though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Musou Stars. It's their new crossover game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow Ii can suck my dick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

I would love a prequel game about Yasuke. It'd get to play around more with the major players during Nobunaga's reign and even follow the same general premise of "foreigner arrives in Japan, befriends big important man, becomes cool sword dude". Toss in some demons and maybe a wizard or two and you've got yourself Nioh Zero.

Yeah, this would be really, really cool.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'd like a human enemy gauntlet mode so I can just clown on nerds

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I hope when PvP is added, the Iga Escape map is pvp area. Think about how nuts that would be.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm on act 4, just finished the mission from the last demo. Have they run out of new guys to throw at me? I'm getting a little bit burnt out on clowning the same enemies over and over. Birdmans still give me a bit of trouble, but that's about it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

This game needs the Nemesis System.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If you want good weapons just kill revenants on NG+ Isle of Demons, that seems to be where people are killing themselves to trade people gear, I have two spears with Inheritable CTA Body and one 2kat with CTA Skill, both A scaling. Dropped my CTA Stamina axe there too.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Emron posted:

This game needs the Nemesis System.

That first dual-katana yokai on the beach would be the most powerful NPC in the entire game most likely, or some piece of poo poo Wheelmonk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wheelmonks are the most bullshit enemy in this game, speaking of those fiery little fucks. I know how you're supposed to fight them--bait out the fire breath, dodge behind, hit them in the glowy bit, do murder--but being close to them at any other time is just way too punishing. Their zero wind-up multi-hit melee (otherwise known as "they gently caress you up just by moving") is complete nonsense.

I haven't been killed by a Wheelmonk in ages but they're astonishingly unfun to fight.

In other news, I finished all the NG+ main missions and I found all the kodamas so as far as I'm concerned I've beaten Nioh :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Blocking a lot.

Also, the suck, so I usually just sloth them.

I still haven't tried a new weapon, but I think I'm gonna try heavy armor soon. Which is silly cause I just got done putting +attack on 4 pieces of my wizard armor.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

InequalityGodzilla posted:

:hf:
You and me both. There's so many things similar to Souls games but all of the little gameplay differences are screwing me. The enemies having much longer attack reach, and being much better at stunlocking you(and you can't dodge out of a combo like in Bloodborne), the pressing l1 to recharge ki at the right time, the living weapon stuff.

About the stunlock thing- you can't dodge out of a series of hits, but you can block. Which isn't a great solution, but better than taking it all on the chin.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that using the souls controls is a mistake. R1 + face buttons seems much simpler for ki pulsing and stance changing. But I'm sure plenty of people do fine with the soulscontrols, so w/e.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
^ Agreed, I've had zero issue with the controls. The combat is a little Devil May Cry as well, and I still play that series on the reg so it just reminds me of that in a vaguely souls framework. The only thing I want is a third page of items to quick cycle through, so I can do a page of different elemental amulets.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Snak posted:

I hope when PvP is added, the Iga Escape map is pvp area. Think about how nuts that would be.

Iga Escape is my favorite mission to be summoned into. Definitely one of the better levels. I like helping people with Sekigahara was well.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've just got the game and I'm loving it so far. The first real boss of the game was kinda boring compared to the starting zone/tutorial area. I'm sure poo poo will go sideways the farther I get into it, but it's cool.

I started with the Kusarigama and an Axe. I think they may not be the best fit together in retrospect. But I've been pumping Agility(?) so I can use Ninjutsu and the Kusarigama for my main weapon. I imagine swords are better suited to accompany the Kusarigama, right? I feel like I should be pumping other stats though.

e: Also my 2 cents to the controls. I love the default for this game, it works pretty darn well - Also it works very well if you're remote playing on a Vita.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that it really matters much later on when you have good gear, but resetting the amount of elixirs you get at the beginning of every zone is completely dumb and counter intuitive. Like, the logic that you hit a new harder area, and lose your health packs for it is just baffling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In-game the logic is literally that they are gifts from the Kodama, who can't give them to you if you haven't rescued them. I'm pretty sure you can still carry up to 8 if you have them in storage

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

veni veni veni posted:

Not that it really matters much later on when you have good gear, but resetting the amount of elixirs you get at the beginning of every zone is completely dumb and counter intuitive. Like, the logic that you hit a new harder area, and lose your health packs for it is just baffling.

Do a bunch of missions with other people (this is especially good when grinding for materials) , turn your kodama blessing for whatever region your doing crap on to elixirs (maybe have 1 or two extra luck pieces of gear)

End up with a store house of like 60+ elixrs and never go into a new region empty handed. I was grinding the spider boss level with people (apparently the miniboss spiders also have a low chance of giving the bosses item) and I went up to a shrine in a new level and saw that I had 85 elixirs in the store house

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

About the stunlock thing- you can't dodge out of a series of hits, but you can block. Which isn't a great solution, but better than taking it all on the chin.

I know, I know. Figured that out pretty quickly. The main problem is that I'm coming straight from several weeks of pretty much only Bloodborne (with some Odin Sphere remake thrown in there), so the idea of blocking period feels really alien to me. I keep instinctively trying to get out of the way every time I take a hit, rather than just blocking everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So on the recommendation of this thread I went into the dojo to learn how to parry with my boy Sekishusai (I'm probably on the last mission but whatever). I don't get it right every time and need more practice, but haze2, iai quickdraw, ground strike, heavy strike is a fuckin power combo.

What things can I not parry in the game? Can I parry monster sized boss (obviously not the giant yokai ones, but things like charged up amrita warriors, ice queen and poo poo)?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SectumSempra posted:

Do a bunch of missions with other people (this is especially good when grinding for materials) , turn your kodama blessing for whatever region your doing crap on to elixirs (maybe have 1 or two extra luck pieces of gear)

End up with a store house of like 60+ elixrs and never go into a new region empty handed. I was grinding the spider boss level with people (apparently the miniboss spiders also have a low chance of giving the bosses item) and I went up to a shrine in a new level and saw that I had 85 elixirs in the store house

They mean that the amount you can carry on you is reset. You go back to getting 3-ish per shrine visit at the start of every new area.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I respec'd and went full Warrior of the East from full Red Demon. I could not get used to the C agility and only being able to do one or two staff combos before being out of Ki.

Switched to 4 pieces of East and two of Red, it's fantastic. Still doing a whole mess of damage, but can actually move and regain Ki a lot easier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

zelah posted:

I respec'd and went full Warrior of the East from full Red Demon. I could not get used to the C agility and only being able to do one or two staff combos before being out of Ki.

Switched to 4 pieces of East and two of Red, it's fantastic. Still doing a whole mess of damage, but can actually move and regain Ki a lot easier.

I just got the turtle spirit and kind of want to try out heavy armour/magic/axe because his bonuses seem funny as hell. Face me, for I am the weaponised magic anvil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Stringbean posted:

I've just got the game and I'm loving it so far. The first real boss of the game was kinda boring compared to the starting zone/tutorial area. I'm sure poo poo will go sideways the farther I get into it, but it's cool.

I started with the Kusarigama and an Axe. I think they may not be the best fit together in retrospect. But I've been pumping Agility(?) so I can use Ninjutsu and the Kusarigama for my main weapon. I imagine swords are better suited to accompany the Kusarigama, right? I feel like I should be pumping other stats though.

e: Also my 2 cents to the controls. I love the default for this game, it works pretty darn well - Also it works very well if you're remote playing on a Vita.

I've used all the weapons periodically while unlocking their mystic arts battles so I'd give basic descriptions as the following:

Katana: Bog-standard good at everything weapon. My preferred choice for boss fights or big yokai entirely on the strength of it's mid-stance combo finisher which is a slash and step (or back-flip) backwards, to end a combo by giving you distance from the inevitable counterattack. If you're under 30% equip load, the back-flip you get has invincibility frames.

Dual Katana: Blenders that hit super rapid making them one of the best choices for landing elemental or status effects. The mid-stance kick that combos into a double slash (God of Wind, I think) is absolutely the best method of breaking Ki and fighting human enemies, bosses, and revenants, if you can master the timing of the combo. In light armor the kick combo can be chained infinitely against regular enemies and even some bosses, shutting them down almost entirely.

Spear: A really good option for fighting through distance and positioning as opposed to staying up close and dodging around. Has a lot of knockdown moves. I find it's high stance way more useful then the other two, but that's just me.

Axe: Almost as straightforward as the single Katana, the Axe's main purpose is just to melt your opponent's Ki bar and set up grapples or final blows, while also hitting really hard.

Kusarigama: Kind of an interesting weapon in that it has some form of everything - fast and light attacks, slower and heavier ones, rapid hits up close and single hits at range. It's a little bit trickier to use since a lot of it's attacks have more of a wind up, but it's mostly a sense of getting used to the slightly different timing. It can slot in well with any other weapon. I found it's mid-stance parry to be easier to use then other parry moves, but that could just be me.

Granted I mostly used Katana/Dual Katana for my first playthrough and I'm branching out into Kusarigama so people who use the other weapons more frequently should chime in if I didn't mention anything important.