Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Floppychop posted:

It certainly does have a benefit. The warlord just follows them.

I played a game against a Warlord with maxed throw. He pushed us all over the place.

Just tried this out in a duel with a friend, once with default gear on, and the other with my reduced throw gear on. The difference was insignificant, and probably down to us not positioning ourselves exactly the same way both times. Unless the difference becomes significantly more pronounced at higher gear levels (my gear is maxed as high as it can go for Rep 2) then I'm convinced that it's not worth buffing that stat on the Warlord. In fact, the difference was so minimal, that I think it simply doesn't apply to the Warlord at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I can believe that on the "drag" style moves like warlord/raider carry and the LB spit the difference is at most negligible, but for the traditional grab'n'toss the difference is very significant and noticeable.

Edit: also remember that in 1v1 and 2v2 modes gear stats are turned off, though you may have tested it in a 4v4 setting.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
This game is so dumb sometimes. I was getting bodied by a rep 3 Lawbringer's combo that, of course, autotracks like everything else in this game. So I switch to my level 2 Valkyrie, and just do her dumb knockdown combo over and over again, winning 3-0. I hate that these combos are even a thing, and that they're so drat effective.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

I can believe that on the "drag" style moves like warlord/raider carry and the LB spit the difference is at most negligible, but for the traditional grab'n'toss the difference is very significant and noticeable.

Edit: also remember that in 1v1 and 2v2 modes gear stats are turned off, though you may have tested it in a 4v4 setting.

We tested it in a custom game lobby 1v1 duel mode with gear stats turned on. (Custom lobbies actually default to Gear Stats ON, even in 1v1) It definitely was of little to no benefit. I'm sure it's probably great on other characters though.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The thing is that they aren't effective. It's easy to escape Lawbringer's vortex, just as it is easy to dodge Valkyrie's leg sweep.

You literally press the dodge button one time and their momentum evaporates.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Xeremides posted:

This game is so dumb sometimes. I was getting bodied by a rep 3 Lawbringer's combo that, of course, autotracks like everything else in this game. So I switch to my level 2 Valkyrie, and just do her dumb knockdown combo over and over again, winning 3-0. I hate that these combos are even a thing, and that they're so drat effective.

The Lawbringer's combo is the easiest thing in the world to stop, just break out of his GB and he can pretty much never touch you

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Oh word? You just have to stop it every time to keep from being thrown into a dark chasm?

Thanks, guys.

But it's okay. I already won.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

ankle posted:

The Lawbringer's combo is the easiest thing in the world to stop, just break out of his GB and he can pretty much never touch you

Sad but true, just be attentive and stay away from walls and most of our repertoire is made unavailable to us. Fortunately a lot of players can't/won't do this so HAW HAW.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Oh word? You just have to stop it every time to keep from being thrown into a dark chasm?

Thanks, guys.

But it's okay. I already won.

Don't stand near a hole.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

fadam posted:

Don't stand near a hole.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

fadam posted:

Please stand near a hole.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Seriously just dodge to the side when he goes for the shove. Then grab him and throw him into the hole he was trying to throw you into.

Embrace the grift.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Lawbringer is good guys.

Maybe not the greatest or maybe even great but he is good.

Like maybe he will not need a patch...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So far the only character I think is even the least bit overpowered is Warlord and that's only because people gear the gently caress up on him and end up attacking through light attacks for all your health.

Gear is the only problem in this game and even that can be made up by a good cliff toss.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Hypha posted:

Lawbringer is good guys.

He isn't

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Hypha posted:

Lawbringer is good guys.

As someone who has played nothing but, with my fair share of triumph in all modes, I agree with everything but your last point.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

Please stand near a hole.

speaking of, i had a fun Lawbringer moment today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWLHSoN5xE

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Prestige 4+ peacekeepers who can cancel out of heavies and attack with lights faster than your hero can physically change guard is getting real loving tiresome.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Instead of having the default be any hit interrupts, but some attacks + revenge have armor, my solution would be for all attacks to have a poise value and an impact value. Poise would determine how much impact you can absorb during the attack to not be interrupted, and impact therefore is self-explanatory. Speed is a great thing to have, and it'd be cool for peacekeepers to be able to spot a fast attack, get a stab in, and still deflect. But they should have to handle the momentum of that big fuckoff attack, not just give someone a poke and all of a sudden a loving Lawbringer can't do poo poo.

But that's just me what do I know about game design

BTW replace revenge on injury and revenge on defense with % bonuses to poise and impact.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

ankle posted:

speaking of, i had a fun Lawbringer moment today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWLHSoN5xE

I love everything about this.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

The point of LB is to bully opponents into situations where they can't defend themselves, which is when you really lay the pain. Open attacking is not their strong suit, and I doubt it ever will be. I'll personally say that as an LB I tend to find peacekeepers easy prey simply because their patterns seem extremely predictable and easy to arrest. I do understand your idea, though.

Edit: I'm just going to clarify that a big reason I love LB is because I love playing the long game; beating an opponent through determined patience rather than aggressive panache. Many times I've won duels against experienced opponents within seconds of time up just because I waited, focused, and whittled them down.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 27, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

The point of LB is to bully opponents into situations where they can't defend themselves, which is when you really lay the pain. Open attacking is not their strong suit, and I doubt it ever will be. I'll personally say that as an LB I tend to find peacekeepers easy prey simply because their patterns seem extremely predictable and easy to arrest. I do understand your idea, though.

Sure, predict the direction-changing light attack spam that you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting right, and hope you get a shot in before the are back at it. Sure. Maybe if peacekeepers had to set something up to make their poo poo work, like a lawbringer does, that'd be cool, but I can be an effective peacekeeper against most classes by closing distance and mashing R1 while twirling the right thumbstick.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

signalnoise posted:

Instead of having the default be any hit interrupts, but some attacks + revenge have armor, my solution would be for all attacks to have a poise value and an impact value. Poise would determine how much impact you can absorb during the attack to not be interrupted, and impact therefore is self-explanatory. Speed is a great thing to have, and it'd be cool for peacekeepers to be able to spot a fast attack, get a stab in, and still deflect. But they should have to handle the momentum of that big fuckoff attack, not just give someone a poke and all of a sudden a loving Lawbringer can't do poo poo.

But that's just me what do I know about game design

BTW replace revenge on injury and revenge on defense with % bonuses to poise and impact.

That... seems like a huge amount of trouble and bookkeeping to go through for a fairly minor payoff. Right now it's fairly intuitive: You either have armour or you don't, and it absorbs either precisely one hit (as part of a moveset) or until your temporary HP are used up (revenge). Having to essentially memorise the poise values for all of your attacks in addition to the impact values of all other characters' attacks would be a huge up-front cost just to wrap your head around such a basic and integral part of the game.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

He can guarantee damage off of any shove, much like the warlord can with headbutt. Granted the warlord's is faster, easier and does a bit more damage but shoves are a bit easier to continuously land. We will have to see if shovel knight tech makes him a better character.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Ok friend, just telling you my experience. It works for me. Maybe I just have better reactions than average? I don't want to get into an argument over it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Perestroika posted:

That... seems like a huge amount of trouble and bookkeeping to go through for a fairly minor payoff. Right now it's fairly intuitive: You either have armour or you don't, and it absorbs either precisely one hit (as part of a moveset) or until your temporary HP are used up (revenge). Having to essentially memorise the poise values for all of your attacks in addition to the impact values of all other characters' attacks would be a huge up-front cost just to wrap your head around such a basic and integral part of the game.

Alternative: balance the loving game

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Alternative: balance the loving game

Why? They already have your money.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I am already excited for finger-puzzles. Give me more finger puzzles!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

YOU ARE A RAIDER, LEGENDARY!

I had to turn the sound off this guy made me so salty on hard. Cant imagine realistic.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hypha posted:

Lawbringer is good guys.

Yeahhh well me and Hypha disagree with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEWRPzbdjo

Its tricky, but this is a gamechanger for the Lawbringer.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 27, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Are Ubi servers down again? Just had some poor dude join our game in the first round and he was unable to play. I dunno exactly what the problem was, but he said he couldn't see anything.

Also, post-game, retrieving data just sat there for ages and I got no rewards. gently caress Ubi and their potato servers.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Yeahhh well me and Hypha disagree

Wow that was fast.... good on you.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if someone turns their back to you and runs, hitting them in the back should be a 1 hit kill in literally all situations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

cams posted:

if someone turns their back to you and runs, hitting them in the back should be a 1 hit kill in literally all situations.

you fuckin serious mate? how about no. maybe make it stagger them like if they were thrown into a wall. At least that gives them a fighting chance.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

cams posted:

If someone turns their back to you and runs, they should create a slipstream effect so you can actually easily catch up to them and get a boost like mario kart or some poo poo. I hate runners.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just fought in Elim against a Nobushi. All 3 of her teammates were executed. It was me (A level 9 Kensei) and a Lawmaker. She refused to fight us. Her entire team was calling her an rear end in a top hat as they were forced to watch her run around pointlessly for 3 whole minutes. She refused to fight the whole time instead of just doing the right thing and trying. At least that way all the dead players aren't sitting there with nothing to do.

People like that are scum. 1v2 is fair game, she could have come out on top. But instead she's too much of an asswipe and prefers to make the game boring for everyone.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Loopoo posted:

you fuckin serious mate? how about no. maybe make it stagger them like if they were thrown into a wall. At least that gives them a fighting chance.
why should you have a fighting chance if you turn you back on me and run away

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Evil Canadian posted:

Good to know this character has some life against better competition. Didn't wan't to dump him yet as I really like playing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Man, I'm super digging the campaign - especially the Samurai one which ties everything together. Getting trolled by the Raider, meeting up with Warden and getting oneshot by geysers, doing this ridiculous last mission boss fight against a castle that's falling apart.

Wow!