Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So basically if we could put up with a head ghost we can handle The Expanse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

whowhatwhere posted:

So basically if we could put up with a head ghost we can handle The Expanse?

Pretty much not at all. The worst parts of BSG for me where the PLAN and the head ghosts, but The expanse is a lot more clinical and sensible. There is some possibly confusing "what really makes a person or a soul" poo poo that has only been going on for 1 episode out of 2 seasons, but I definitely wouldn't characterize it as anything remotely touching the Cylon plan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

And a weird-half-shaved-belter-head, I mean, if you're gonna talk about the hat...

I mean, I live in deep hipster Brooklyn. I did not realize this was notable.

e: Also the biggest difference between BSG and The Expanse is that on BSG there are tons of likeable characters and in The Expanse everyone is made out of cardboard. But the premise and plotting are good enough that it's still quite watchable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There is most definitely artificial gravity. But yeah, it's much more like BSG than star trek.

They use magnetic boots a lot, but there is also artificial gravity which seems to be a feature the main reactor of many ships.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

There is most definitely artificial gravity. But yeah, it's much more like BSG than star trek.

They use magnetic boots a lot, but there is also artificial gravity which seems to be a feature the main reactor of many ships.

That's called thrust and it's a real thing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well yeah, but I think his point was that it's not "gravity".

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They have to spin things to make gravity. IIRC the space station/asteroid Eros has gravity because they rotate it and give it false gravity, but it's like .3 earth G, and its stronger in the center and gets weaker towards the edges.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ahhh crap, Bill Paxton you died, you gently caress!

i'll always remember you for your most famous film. Twister.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, I live in deep hipster Brooklyn. I did not realize this was notable.

e: Also the biggest difference between BSG and The Expanse is that on BSG there are tons of likeable characters and in The Expanse everyone is made out of cardboard. But the premise and plotting are good enough that it's still quite watchable.

The only character approaching depth on The Expanse is Amos and I'm not sure if that's actual depth or the writers morphing the character into someone more likable. But I agree, the rest of the show makes up for it.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Man, X-files, someone who can switch sexes at will is not exactly a spooky or mind-blowing concept.

Maybe I don't remember the early 90s mindset well enough.

Just finished that episode. Don't forget they basically teleported out of that alley.

Timby posted:

Tap out the moment people start babbling about super soldiers (season ... 7, I think, or maybe 6).

Be a while till I get there but I'm sadistic so I'll keep watching.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I just saw (I think) that there's no Homeland thread - am I the only one still watching this show?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I find everyone in The Expanse to be likeable apart from Holden. I don't know that I would say they have less depth than BSG characters at the point where the show is at in comparison to season 1 of BSG.

But the shows aren't that similar anyway. Personally I think Expanse is way better, and I liked BSG quite a lot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a little disingenuous to say they have no depth. They all have some, but some characters have the luxury of plot to eat in every scene.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

That's called thrust and it's a real thing.

Uh, no. There are specific times in the show where they turn gravity on and off.

And are we really supposed to believe tha places like Eros are like .1G?

Edit: upon reflection, I do agree that there probably isn't artificial gravity, I just got confused because of how artificial gravity is usually communicated in scifi.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Mr. Show once again predicting things to come 20 years ago
https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/835865062682296325

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmm, if The Expanse has weak character work I'm not sure if it's for me. What I liked most about BSG where the characters. Plot and "things happening" really don't interest me that much in relation to scifi. I need really good characters to get into it. That and really good production value, cheap looking scifi is the worst.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

Mr. Show once again predicting things to come 20 years ago
https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/835865062682296325

I don't get it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rocksicles posted:

ahhh crap, Bill Paxton you died, you gently caress!

i'll always remember you for your most famous film. Twister.

I've got the fish heads song on loop in his honor.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I don't get it.

...Son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5i6BHBuqxE

I mean Tofutti isn't the same as frozen yogurt, but STILL.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

Uh, no. There are specific times in the show where they turn gravity on and off.

And are we really supposed to believe tha places like Eros are like .1G?

Edit: upon reflection, I do agree that there probably isn't artificial gravity, I just got confused because of how artificial gravity is usually communicated in scifi.

I think you're just supposed to pretend that they're constantly dealing with variable levels of gravity. They just can't afford to show it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What Expanse and BSG have in common is they are both serious sci-fi with realistic politics. Expanse thrusts ordinary people into extraordinary circumstances whereas BSG was more about trained soldiers dealing with poo poo they were trained to deal with but without any support. BSG had people like Tighe who was a drunk rear end in a top hat but a good officer. You respected his decisions even if you didn't like him. Expanse has a "crew" with nothing in common except they don't want to be killed or locked away for political convenience and fate gave them a way out. Beyond that their motivations are somewhat convenient except for Holden who is an idealist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I am catching up on Season 4 of The Americans. Ugh so good but brutal.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The Mick is a great show despite Fox screwing with its run order.

SHIELD was a pretty crappy show till they decided to upended the apple cart, since then it's been pretty ballsy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo Patriot really is loving great

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I think you're just supposed to pretend that they're constantly dealing with variable levels of gravity. They just can't afford to show it.

Pretty much everything except Earth and warships are operating on .3/.4g; Tycho station spun both Ceres and Eros up to .3g. MCRN Marines train continuously at 1g.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Hmm, if The Expanse has weak character work I'm not sure if it's for me. What I liked most about BSG where the characters. Plot and "things happening" really don't interest me that much in relation to scifi. I need really good characters to get into it. That and really good production value, cheap looking scifi is the worst.

I wouldn't say that it has weak character work. I would say that it is slow to develope them compared to a primarily character-driven show.

I actually think that the pacing of the show is pretty slow overall. It definitely feels like the pacing of a novel.

The show looks really good, and it does a good job of setting up characters and motivations so that they are catalysts for the plot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I retroactively hate BSG after watching The Expanse. It also moves way faster in season 2 so far.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I wouldn't say that it has weak character work. I would say that it is slow to develope them compared to a primarily character-driven show.

I might just be alone in this, but I feel like very few of the actors are terribly interesting or bringing much to their roles. Coupled with fairly weak character work imo, it makes the show a little tough to totally dive into - I think I'm two episodes behind at this point. I like Thomas Jane, Dominique Tipper, and Shohreh Aghdashloo enough, but I haven't seen a show with a large number of actors in lead roles lacking charisma this much since Fringe.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Holden actor does suck and I think he brings the energy down in every scene.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

I retroactively hate BSG after watching The Expanse. It also moves way faster in season 2 so far.

My dude, let's not say crazy things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

precision posted:

Holy poo poo Patriot really is loving great

It only gets better. It's really good.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Mu Zeta posted:

The Holden actor does suck and I think he brings the energy down in every scene.

I don't think he "sucks" really. He has just never had much to say. He's really never had many lines at all!. Total them up and he's barely a main star.

And I guess I think he's cute. Boring. but cute.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Whoa they're turning time after time into a series? Any hope for it or don't waste the time?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kingtheninja posted:

Whoa they're turning time after time into a series? Any hope for it or don't waste the time?

Time travel seems to be the new hot trend. We've got LoT, Timeless, Frequency, TaT and a comedy with Adam Pally called Making HIstory. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at least one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingtheninja posted:

I mean, it doesn't look very good really, but certainly it can't be as bad as Timeless right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp6KWn48ufc

Rhyno posted:

Time travel seems to be the new hot trend. We've got LoT, Timeless, Frequency, TaT and a comedy with Adam Pally called Making HIstory. I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting at least one.

Travelers and 12 Monkeys aka The Good Ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

It only gets better. It's really good.

I just finished episode 3. It's literally Wes Anderson Presents Homeland. It's insane how good it is, actually, every episode is like a great Hal Hartley film or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I mean, it doesn't look very good really, but certainly it can't be as bad as Timeless right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp6KWn48ufc

D'oh. You got me hooked on Travelers and 12M is indeed the best. But Adam Pally is my spirit animal so Making History will probably be amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

X-O posted:

Having at least checked out all the recent time travel shows, this is correct

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Continuum is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Continuum is the best one.

No