Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
One of the best all around suggestions for new Sentai watchers is Shinkenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

drrockso20 posted:

Goseiger is a very average show overall

I couldn't find the words to describe it but over all I will agree with this.

It is average. It does nothing spectacularly well, but it doesn't do anything spectacularly badly either. Some of the villains are good, others are awful, some of the heroes are good, other's aren't.

I have no strong opinions on it at all because it's completely average in all respects.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay. One of the things that interested me in Kyuuranger was the non-human characters which I think would make things more interesting and fantastic. From what I can tell Zhyuoger also has non-human rangers so maybe I'll check that one out.

Any other sentai with non-human rangers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People are divided over whether Gokaiger is good for a new Sentai watcher or not, but it is pretty much universally considered great.

Go-Busters is also a generally liked Sentai, and one of the Rangers is an amazing robot.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Kamen Rider Brave special was super cool and it's so awesome seeing Ouja again with his original actor. But man, that was extremely violent with Takeshi beating the ever-loving crap out of everyone. Crazy to see from a modern Rider series aimed at kids. :stare:

I wonder if they're going to follow-up on Foundation X. Maybe it's a lead-in to Super Hero Taisen, considering it appears to focus on Zolda?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 26, 2017

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Getsuya posted:

Okay. One of the things that interested me in Kyuuranger was the non-human characters which I think would make things more interesting and fantastic. From what I can tell Zhyuoger also has non-human rangers so maybe I'll check that one out.

Ninninger

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

weird way to spell w bitch
Does W have a matrix style make-up battle? Didn't think so, Dickeye

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Never watch Ninninger.

There was no Sentai between ToQger and Zyuogher, they just took a year off.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Getsuya posted:

Toqger has a nonhuman sixth, Goseiger has a nonhuman extra hero, Gokaigers are technically aliens but all look human, Kyoryuger gets one really late.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:drat:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Stallion Cabana posted:

Never watch Ninninger.

There was no Sentai between ToQger and Zyuogher, they just took a year off.

It's a shame, it has some of my favorite mecha designs in the last couple of years(except maybe White's dog mech which might be the most pointless one in the franchise's history), and the suits are also really nice

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
I started with Kyoryuger and went back to Gekiranger, following it chronologically after that. Some of the earlier ones are a little hard to swallow depending on how you like your cheese.

Kyoryuger is probably a good intro to the whole thing since the cast is fairly well-rounded. I mean there's a middle-aged dude who makes stupid puns, and all the mech transformations are shamelessly done using the actual toys.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So Kamen Rider has the nice Heisei starting point for weirdos like me who want to watch it all chronological regardless of good or bad series but where would that line be for Sentai? Maybe I could do something like watch the sentai from the same year as the Rider series I finish. That would start me at Timeranger to match up with Kuuga.

Don't ask me why I have to watch things in order but I do.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Getsuya posted:

So Kamen Rider has the nice Heisei starting point for weirdos like me who want to watch it all chronological regardless of good or bad series but where would that line be for Sentai? Maybe I could do something like watch the sentai from the same year as the Rider series I finish. That would start me at Timeranger to match up with Kuuga.

Start with Bioman.

Not just because I have a bias for it, but because that's when Sentai as you likely know it really started. That's the show that got Saban interested in making Power Rangers, and defined the tone of the whole work until basically Turbo Ranger.

Though if you'd prefer to start on something more modern, a strong argument could be made for MegaRanger being a good starting place. It started the cellphone nonsense that would invade Sentai forever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Zyuranger is a good starting point

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you just want an order you could do worse than starting at Zyuohger and working backwards
Skipping Ninninger.
Maybe skipping Gokaiger and coming back to it if you care about spoilers.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well Mega would only put me 3 series behind Time, so that sounds good. And considering how old-fashioned it looks it might be my limit for how far back I can go.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Getsuya posted:

Well Mega would only put me 3 series behind Time, so that sounds good. And considering how old-fashioned it looks it might be my limit for how far back I can go.

Counterpoint: Starting with Mega means you just miss out on Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarranger! and that's a crying shame. Jump it one series back and we're good; Carranger works well even without knowledge of Sentai tropes because a lot of the Sentai tropes it's poking at are decently present in Power Rangers anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mister Olympus posted:

Jump it one series back and we're good; Carranger works well even without knowledge of Sentai tropes because a lot of the Sentai tropes it's poking at are decently present in Power Rangers anyway.

Echoing this sentiment for Akibaranger season 1. Season 2, though, does require a lot of Sentai trivia knowledge.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watch the current stuff, then during my free time I have been watching Heisei Riders from Kuuga onward, then Sentai I've been watching in reverse order for whatever reason. I jumped in with Gokaiger so I've watched Goseiger and Shinkenger since then, next is Go-onger. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but since Sentai lacks that clear divide I figure it's fine to watch whatever since all it complicates is Versus movies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This week's Kyuranger was pretty good. Mostly fights, but it stuck with the fights and let them breathe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Waffleman_ posted:

People are divided over whether Gokaiger is good for a new Sentai watcher or not, but it is pretty much universally considered great.

Go-Busters is also a generally liked Sentai, and one of the Rangers is an amazing robot.

I think Gokaiger is a pretty decent place for new Sentai watchers. You miss out on some of references and meta-stuff, and it (of course) gives away a few major spoilers for a few shows. It's where I started though, and I was able to go through it thinking 'Okay, these Magiranger guys seem pretty cool, think I'll check them out. Oh poo poo, Megaranger seems kind of awesome, I'll look into them. Why the hell is Carranger so weird? Better add that to my list', and so on. If someone doesn't mind having older shows spoiled, it makes an alright sampler platter for the entire franchise.

Plus it can get you interested in Space Sheriff Gavan too, if you watch that crossover movie.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I like Goseiger for three reasons. 1. GoseiKnight is the best 6th Ranger. He's just there to save the planet he doesn't care about collateral damage and in his first appearance almost takes out the Goseigers. 2. Brajira/Bladerun is a great villain providing a nice through line for the series. At first you think he's just a lackey but he's in my top 3 Sentai villains. 3. The villains are based on sci-fi/horror/fantasy movies and that's great.

The Goseigers themselves are fairly generic but I have a soft spot for that dumb stupid show.

GoseiKnight is my spirit animal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'd consider the "Heisei jumping-on point" or whatever to be Timeranger, but given that it isn't completed yet you can either go on to Gaoranger or watch PR Time Force since it's a mostly straightforward adaption and one of everyone's favorite seasons.

Gaoranger was when the mechs started being more CGI and less about practical effects, but Timeranger in addition to being a show people liked is this interesting hybrid of Dairanger-onward mech suits combined with some CGI camera tricks. Your reactions when will alternate between "okay that is one the cheesiest dinosaurs ever" and "huh that's actually an okay low-budget version of bullet time back in the Matrix-obsessed year 2000."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 27, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well if I start from Mega maybe Time will be done by the time I get to it.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
I would definitely recommend Shinkenger and Kyoryuger. They both have great casts and the plots pay off.
Carranger is my nostalgic favorite. I like the bad guys the most. It's more of a comedy but has its emotional moments.
I would also say follow Kyuranger while it's going on if you're interested, to me it's always easier to follow something week to week than to feel like I have to catch up.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Dangit. Watching the first ep of Mega was so much fun now I'm thinking I should go back to (that one Mighty Morphin was based on) and watch them all from there. I thought I wouldn't be able to take the old-school cheese but in fact I seem to love it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Getsuya posted:

Dangit. Watching the first ep of Mega was so much fun now I'm thinking I should go back to (that one Mighty Morphin was based on) and watch them all from there. I thought I wouldn't be able to take the old-school cheese but in fact I seem to love it.

Good news starting with Zyuranger Shout Factory has been releasing subtitled DVDs of Sentai shows. Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakurangrr, and Ohranger are already out and Carranger comes out this spring

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Good news starting with Zyuranger Shout Factory has been releasing subtitled DVDs of Sentai shows. Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakurangrr, and Ohranger are already out and Carranger comes out this spring

And they put Zyuranger and Dairanger up for free streaming on their Shout Factory TV site(hopefully Kakuranger and Ohranger get added soon as well)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Sentai I've seen from start to finish:

Jetman: Bird-themed paramilitary organization fights against invading alien force with infighting and drama on both sides. While two of the five rangers get seriously shafted so that there can be more focus on the other three, the character dynamics of Jetman are surprisingly complex and even rather unhealthy. There's a lot of adult feelings in Jetman and if you're interested in seeing what almost was the source material for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers go places you would never expect, I recommend checking it out. Also has an amazing ending that is possibly the greatest thing the franchise has ever done.

Dairanger : Secret club of chosen warriors of Chinese mythical animals battle resurging ancient evil with personal rivals emerging for each member of the team. Unfortunately, outside of a handful of episodes, the show is terminally boring, as the cast has zero chemistry and the aforementioned ancient evil is poorly defined at best and downright nonsensical at worst. Also, a fantastic main mech is wasted, with nearly all of the fights being 95% stock footage of the mech coming together and then doing the finishing attack. Also, the ending directly contradicts the most interesting idea the show puts forth. That said, the show has a handful of scenes that are iconic for the franchise, and if subbed DVDs weren't out I'd link them here.

Gaoranger: Secret club of chosen warriors of robot animals battle resurging ancient evil. A lighthearted, middling series, mostly notable for being the first series in the franchise to heavily use CGI. Has some interesting arcs and ideas and the cast has pretty good chemistry. However the most dramatic moments of the show are almost always made moot, as the show is a huge offender of Deus Ex Machina syndrome, even relative to the rest of the franchise. However, this is arguably justified because one of the mecha in the show is God.

Gekiranger: Two competing schools of animal kung-fu, one of justice and one of strength, compete for supremacy. Awesome designs and some fascinating ideas are wasted on an insulting melodrama with characters that range from boring to intolerably irritating, the latter of which describes the show's lead to a 't'. Some people really like it though so maybe I'm crazy.

Go-Onger : Humans team up with sentient toy cars from another dimension to combat pollution monsters. Not without its charm, but outside of one amazing arc that satirizes the entire franchise in a way that could honestly be described as mean-spirited, this is as forgettable as they come.

Shinkenger: Four descendants of samurai swear their lives to a modern day Lord in a battle against demons who seek to flood the earth with pain and suffering. Their bonds are forged and then brought to their very limits. Fantastic characters, some of whom have amazing arcs, a theatrical style, and some seriously disturbing antagonists make for a wonderful series. Shame the mecha are ugly as sin. Talking more indepth about what makes this show truly great involves spoilers, unfortunately.

Gokaiger: Five space pirates with the powers of all 34 of their predecessors in addition to their own come to Earth in search of the greatest treasure in the universe and find themselves defending our planet against the greatest threat it's ever known, while they learn the true power of the Super Sentai. This show contains ending spoilers for both Shinkenger and Jetman. If you've any interest in those, watch them first. Has a great cast and insane variety in its fight scenes, although the villains of the year are pretty boring, save for one. More than that, though, it's about as great an argument as you could ever make for the higher purpose of a toy commercial, dozens of guest stars from the past 35 years of the franchise make appearances, many of whom weren't going to until the Japan tsunami of that year. A retrospective of a franchise that has always been about getting kids to ask their parents to buy them toys, but maybe along the way inspired some of them to be better people, over the course of more than a generation. Also, come on, pirates.

Go-Busters: Three young adults who have dedicated the past thirteen years of their life to training to combat the forces of a malevolent computer virus constantly match wits with the virus's mysterious and incredibly effective lieutenant. A show where the main attraction is how many things it does differently than the rest of the franchise, from an amazing change to the "make my monster grow" formula we all know and love, to relying far less on stock footage, to seriously cutting down on the toys, to having a main antagonist who is actually effective more often than not, this show's flaws (two out of three of the core cast being mediocre, slight thematic disconnect, and some serious tonal problems around the 2/3rds mark caused by executive meddling) are not nearly enough to dilute how enjoyable it is to see something so... risky.

Kyoryuger: Five warriors chosen by dinosaurs bravely battle a legion of evil that seeks to resurrect its master. Insanely fun with a cast that is a joy to watch, this show suffers a little from overfocus on the Red Ranger and catchphrase overload, but the chemistry between the team is simply off the charts, the entire show has an infectious enthusiasm to it. The show does stumble at the very end, with an underwhelming climax and some very obvious opportunities missed,, but as long as you go in knowing that and makes sure to enjoy the ride, you'll have a great time.

I put way too much work into this.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I love how the ending theme of Mega suggests that sometimes the rangers give each other friendly pep-talks over their morphers when one of them is feeling down. That's kinda adorable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

In regard to Dairanger's disappointing mecha scenes, that's because the director originally didn't want there to be any in the first place(he actively hated the concept apparently), and since he was forced to by the higher ups, he just decided to half-rear end it as much as possible

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's super sad that the best mecha fights using the Dairanger mech suits came from Power Rangers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The Sentai I've seen from start to finish:

Go-Onger : Humans team up with sentient toy cars from another dimension to combat pollution monsters. Not without its charm, but outside of one amazing arc that satirizes the entire franchise in a way that could honestly be described as mean-spirited, this is as forgettable as they come.

I put way too much work into this.

It's been a while since I saw Go-Onger, which arc was this?

drrockso20 posted:

In regard to Dairanger's disappointing mecha scenes, that's because the director originally didn't want there to be any in the first place(he actively hated the concept apparently), and since he was forced to by the higher ups, he just decided to half-rear end it as much as possible

That explains a lot actually. Despite that there are still a few episodes with no mech fights at all (In fact, there's at least one monster the team actually stops from growing).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 27, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

Also some dope fist fights make up for it

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
The best part about Go-Onger is that you always just end up rooting for the bad guys, because they have way better chemistry than the good guys. And more emotion. And more relatable dialogue.

Time for a yearly rewatch.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

It's been a while since I saw Go-Onger, which arc was this?
Hiramechimedes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hiramechimedes.

Ah the Frank Grimes of the Sentai universe, how could I forget. Go-Onger is one of the few shows where I actually ended up sympathizing more with the villians than the heroes (another example would be Zyuranger, Bandora and her gang are probably the most interesting characters in that series, the only rangers I actually liked were Goushi and to a lesser extent Burai).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It helps that the sixth rangers who show up and help beat Hiramechimedes are both unlikable assholes.

• Locked thread