Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
My moderate MP fear is there won't be as many race/skill kits to grow into because there isn't a viable number of most races to provide soldiers and an isolated cluster doesn't provide many contacted species to recruit from. Also who are the enemies and why

muh lore and muh immersion :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are you people really arguing over whether or not it's in keeping with the Mass Effect universe for a corporate conglomerate to fund a ridiculous and ridiculously expensive project just to see what happens? Have you played a Mass Effect game, ever? Jesus loving Shepard.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you people really arguing over whether or not it's in keeping with the Mass Effect universe for a corporate conglomerate to fund a ridiculous and ridiculously expensive project just to see what happens? Have you played a Mass Effect game, ever? Jesus loving Shepard.

Yeah, but usually those fail in really spectacular ways because Cerberus couldn't run a successful op if humanity depended on it.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I hope the exact opposite, and don't give a poo poo about the multiplayer, because it's only function is to take time and effort away from the single-player game.

I would sign up tomorrow on a 20/80 live or die mission to the stars if they would let my fat, half-blind rear end up there. Seriously, you guys wouldn't?? I would do that in a heartbeat. even a 99% suicide mission if we could send back data or be useful in some way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Admiral Ray posted:

Yeah, but usually those fail in really spectacular ways because Cerberus couldn't run a successful op if humanity depended on it.

Well, the human ark did fall off course or some such.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Well, the human ark did fall off course or some such.

Cerberus totally funded it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Halloween Jack posted:

To "see what happens." It's hard to see what happens centuries from now in another galaxy. :colbert:

DoggPickle posted:

I would sign up tomorrow on a 20/80 live or die mission to the stars if they would let my fat, half-blind rear end up there. Seriously, you guys wouldn't?? I would do that in a heartbeat. even a 99% suicide mission if we could send back data or be useful in some way.

How much would you spend to send smarter, prettier, younger, healthier people to do it, is the question. And you can only send data back centuries later, which isn't very useful to the people deciding to fund it today.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 26, 2017

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Number Ten Cocks posted:

To "see what happens." It's hard to see what happens centuries from now in another galaxy. :colbert:

You have zero loving poetry in your soul.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, but that was through the power of racism and accumulation of power. Going to Andromeda instead of literally anywhere else in the Milky Way is ... what it is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How much would you spend to send smarter, prettier, younger, healthier people to do it, is the question.

The biggest funders likely got a place for themselves or somebody close to them on the Arks, so they do get to see another galaxy. Money well spent!

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jfood posted:

You have zero loving poetry in your soul.

For the Andromeda Initiative to be reasonable you have to believe that a huge conglomeration of very rich people and government bureaucrats pick poetry and feels over other uses of their money and power in the here and now. It's not about me or you or the people who want to go. Its about the people who pay for it and stay behind.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

That's exactly what they did, minus your weapons-grade autistic literal interpretation of what I said.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

How much would you spend to send smarter, prettier, younger, healthier people to do it, is the question. And you can only send data back centuries later, which isn't very useful to the people deciding to fund it today.

Why are rich Silicon Valley turbonerds more interested in saving humanity from Rokos Basilisk than from the things that are really slowly killing us? Your folly is in trusting that those "hard headed money men" actually make prudent decisions instead of vain ones.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
"Why would you invest money in an expedition sailing westwards around the globe to India? You would be an idiot to do something like that!"

Really, it's a perfectly plausible explanation for why the setting changes to Andromeda after they burned the Milky Way setting in ME3.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Rich, cool people have literally funded the entire exploration of the world and they will continue to keep spending their nerd billions to explore Outer Space. And you can joke and make fun of the goonlords not reaping rewards during their own lifetimes, But they don't CARE. They have so much money that can afford to care about future generations and not themselves.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Or...you could just go with them. There's plenty of room on the Arks.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jfood posted:

That's exactly what they did, minus your weapons-grade autistic literal interpretation of what I said.

Yes, the authors of this fictional world said some people decided to do something that is unbelievable, and I'm pointing out that it is not believable.

Torrannor posted:

"Why would you invest money in an expedition sailing westwards around the globe to India? You would be an idiot to do something like that!"

Really, it's a perfectly plausible explanation for why the setting changes to Andromeda after they burned the Milky Way setting in ME3.

"Because I think I can find something that will make me rich when I get back." How many are coming back from Andromeda? What do they think they might find there that will make them richer back in the Milky Way than exploring the Milky Way? What the odds that something that would make them rich back in the Milky Way (e.g. advanced alien technology) (1) exists and (2) won't destroy them?

Yes, if your draw simplistic analogies that ignore the very big differences in scale, time, cost, risk, and reward between the Andromeda Initiative and your chosen analogies I'm sure it seems plausible.

BrianWilly posted:

Or...you could just go with them. There's plenty of room on the Arks.

I'm actually ok if 5% of the initiative population is a high caste of financiers who expect special privileges/feudal ownership over everyone else and the plot turns into a rebellion between the masses and the people who own their contracts.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Sleeper ships are hardly a new concept in sci-fi, I don't understand taking umbrage about this. If we ever colonize new worlds, it's likely this how it would happen just on a relatively smaller time/distance scale.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You don't even need to be rich or a techno-nerd. Vikings in Vinland, the Vandals and Suebi, the Israelites out of Egypt, the Aboriginal people of North and South America crossing the Aluetians... hell, 90% of us don't live in Africa and that's where we all come from. The entirety of human history can really be broken down into two sentences...

"You wanna go over there?"

"gently caress yea!"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anything is possible, except a relatively slight change in how capitalism works. That's just beyond imagination.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Clearly they picked Andromeda because Bioware are big fans of The Legendary Pink Dots and my first novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7ICfDB7tE

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yes, but those journeys weren't six hundred years away.

Travelling to another galaxy is so far outside any experience in the entirety of every ME sentient species that it becomes ridiculous as an idea. It becomes even more ridiculous when there are plenty of uncolonised worlds and closed-off Mass Relays to ensure plenty of exploration and colonisaiton, all of which would be more useful to the Systems Alliance than a six hundred year trip into an unknown where you have zero information as to what's out there. For all they know, they might provoke the Rachni 2.0.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Firebert posted:

Sleeper ships are hardly a new concept in sci-fi, I don't understand taking umbrage about this. If we ever colonize new worlds, it's likely this how it would happen just on a relatively smaller time/distance scale.

The published numbers of dreadnoughts tell us that ships much smaller and more immediately important than these are hideously expensive so it's not believable that people (especially humans) would spend money on this when they the vast majority of our own galaxy to explore and find new species and resources at much lower cost. Plus the past lore making long haul interstellar travel away from fuel hubs unrealistic.

Humans have 6 dreadnoughts, the Turians have 37, Asair 21, and Salarians 16. Humans want to be a Council race, be taken seriously, and not get wiped out by the Batarians or the council if things go south. There is no way they let people dump resources into building something like this.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, but those journeys weren't six hundred years away.

"The maps say 'here be dragons'."

"Well, let's go slay some loving dragons."

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jfood posted:

"gently caress, we're at war with our neighbors who outnumber us hugely and who we fought a war with recently, wish we hadn't let them con us into putting 50% of our construction efforts into that Andromeda thing."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

jfood posted:

The ability to gather up everything you have and walk in a direction until you find something new is not directly analogous to the ridiculously expensive, ambitious and utterly unprecedented plan to take a six hundred year journey to an entirely different galaxy.

It's like saying spears are basically equivalent to the Manhattan Project because they're both weapons.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 26, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"gently caress, we're at war with our neighbors who outnumber us hugely and who we fought a war with recently, wish we hadn't let them con us into putting 50% of our construction efforts into that Andromeda thing."

"gently caress, turns out Shepard was right about the space cuttlefish. If only we'd built those unfathomably massive ships that we pissed into the great void between galaxies as unfathomably massive warships I wouldn't be getting rendered down into nutrient paste."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

quote:

Gabrielle Guyton‏@gabbieguyton
idk who else to @ but is there any chance we'll see the character creator before launch?

Aaryn Flynn aarynflynn
"See it"? I'm sure

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I mean, the Andromeda Initiative is explicitly about trade routes and some neato power located in the systems we land in.

quote:

The Initiative’s ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence on the seemingly resource-rich frontier of Andromeda, and eventually create a reliable route between it and the Milky Way Galaxy.

Also: lol at the idea of "long range scans" of the Andromeda Galaxy. Place is 2.5 million light years away.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

"gently caress, turns out Shepard was right about the space cuttlefish. If only we'd built those unfathomably massive ships that we pissed into the great void between galaxies as unfathomably massive warships I wouldn't be getting rendered down into nutrient paste."
No one cares about your chain effortposting whining how the premise for this science fiction video game doesn't meet your obsessive criteria.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

They went to Andromeda to find new and exciting aliens to bang like what do you guys not get about this:confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the Andromeda Initiative was funded by Bill Gates' Preserved Brain In a Jar or you know some kind of latter day Howard Hughes type or maybe they used slave labor or maybe they stole the ship or maybe it's just a cool plot device and this argument is dumb.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They've been researching the Andromeda galaxy already. Just like how NASA today just found a bunch of potentially-habitable planets by looking through their science computers, the Andromeda Initiative know what habitable planets are supposed to be there.

The first mission of the game is you arriving at one of those habitable planets to find that something has gone wrong with it. But that doesn't mean they had "zero information" about it in the first place.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

quote:

The Initiative’s ultimate goal is to establish a permanent presence on the seemingly resource-rich frontier of Andromeda, and eventually create a reliable route between it and the Milky Way Galaxy.

That ultimate goal proves the Andromeda Initiative is run by morons with no grasp on reality or sinister hidden motives that they hid under a lie that only morons would believe is reasonable.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Ein Sexmonster posted:

No one cares about your chain effortposting whining how the premise for this science fiction video game doesn't meet your obsessive criteria.

Get outta here, Walters.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The published numbers of dreadnoughts tell us that ships much smaller and more immediately important than these are hideously expensive so it's not believable that people (especially humans) would spend money on this when they the vast majority of our own galaxy to explore and find new species and resources at much lower cost. Plus the past lore making long haul interstellar travel away from fuel hubs unrealistic.

Humans have 6 dreadnoughts, the Turians have 37, Asair 21, and Salarians 16. Humans want to be a Council race, be taken seriously, and not get wiped out by the Batarians or the council if things go south. There is no way they let people dump resources into building something like this.

The reason why the number of dreadnoughts is low is because their numbers are kept low by treaty. There's no evidence that humanity has 8 dreadnoughts because they can't afford to build more just that they were not allowed to.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ein Sexmonster posted:

[citation needed]

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Milky Moor posted:

Get outta here, Walters.

Bioware's not exactly going to stop and redo the whole project because you don't like the premise, so your sperging isn't accomplishing much.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Bioware's not exactly going to stop and redo the whole project because you don't like the premise, so your sperging isn't accomplishing much.

My dad is Casey Hudson, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Well... we know who's not gonna be slaying dragons and making it into Valhalla.