Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Moon Atari posted:

Hey auspol thread, I stopped paying attention to australian politics awhile back because it was all too depressing, but I want to get back into following it now for some masochistic reason. Are they any sources or blogs you recommend? I used to get most of my news from abc but they have gone to crap, and I don't want to pay for crikey.
Run as fast as you loving can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

AgentF posted:

I don't understand. How can Shorten have both a higher "satisfied" and a lower "dissatisfied" than Turnbull but then somehow Turnbull wins as preferred PM?

It's like how someone might get passed over for 'best director' but their film wins 'best film' - the voting is done by morons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

It's like how someone might get passed over for 'best director' but their film wins 'best film' - the voting is done by morons.

No kidding voters are morons when the LNP was elected on the following 3 point platform:

1) Asset strip the country
2) gently caress the poor
3) Labor's fault

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Preferred PM is such a bullshit measure for a parliamentary system. It matters a bit to the gallery I guess but is far less important than the primary and preferred vote numbers, but the incumbent as the advantage because they're a relatively known quantity compared with the Opp Leader.

One thing about the ALP having to stick with Shorten due to the leadership election rules is that its forced discipline on Caucus. So yes, he is a lucky motherfucker, and I think at some point he'll have to make a bit more noise and outline some policies (37% of the primary vote isn't that great so they'll have to work on that), but right now the ALP have the luxury of sitting back and watching the other side tear each other apart for once.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
To be fair, not having the debt rise this high or the nation slide into recession was at least partly Labour's fault and the LNP have done an excellent job of course-correcting that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's that Skip? GDP figures out Wednesday? Technical Recession?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTfvdGM21s

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 26, 2017

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

DancingShade posted:

No kidding voters are morons when the LNP was elected on the following 3 point platform:

1) Asset strip the country
2) gently caress the poor
3) Labor's fault
Do Labor have a 3 point platform yet? Could pretty much use the exact same list tbh.

Should be a straight swap out but Shorten.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Moon Atari posted:

Hey auspol thread, I stopped paying attention to australian politics awhile back because it was all too depressing, but I want to get back into following it now for some masochistic reason. Are they any sources or blogs you recommend? I used to get most of my news from abc but they have gone to crap, and I don't want to pay for crikey.

Newmatilda is ok, theguardian is ok and has a fantastic cartoonist, AIMN is ok. depending on where you are, community run newspapers arent awful.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Turnbull is hosed. He'll get boxed in on all sides.

Wages
Housing
Medicare
Banking

Shorten is good at Yugioh.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

NPR Journalizard posted:

theguardian has a fantastic cartoonist

Mods??

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

Guardian is ok, mainly because a lot of established bloggers have ended up there (like Grog), and their live commentary on parliamentary sessions is without peer.

New Matilda is good, often covering subjects in more depth or from non-mainstream angles. For instance, a very interesting critique of Naomi Klein's angle on climate change and the fossil fuel industry. It's hard to find a viewpoint that has that kind of balance anywhere.

http://independentaustralia.net/ another independent news source. Famous for hunting down everything to do with the Jacksons when the mainstream media couldn't be arsed, and discovered a truly awful couple of people who are still trying to justify themselves in court. Also the home of Asbygate investigative journalism. They're ratbags but they're great.

I do use the abc websites justin news ticker just to get the basics, although the guardian's news updates often trump it on my phone.

https://thesaturdaypaper.com.au also an excellent source of analysis, but it does limit you to one free article per week (hint: read the Q Society article this week).

Likewise https://www.themonthly.com.au/ which has its own paywall but really good stuff in it.

On the blog side...

Andrew Elder's blog is good when he can be bothered updating it. He has history and insight into the Liberal party (particularly the NSW variety) that is unique. He is also very not impressed with the mainstream media and often locks horns with them on twitter which is also entertaining.

loonpond.blogspot.com is a fairly sarcastic look at the output of the Right press which helps with paywalls etc, often with screenshots of columns that thus cannot be revised.

ethicalmartini.wordpress.com who rants about general mainstream media and the political horse-race, he's just done a piece on how poo poo the ABC is now. He's coincidentally political editor of Independent Australia.

There are a bunch of good political podcasts, the Guardian does Australian Politics Live, Andrew Street and Dom Knight have The Double Disillusionists, Jeremy Sear continues with Well May We Say, and there's a heap of others I haven't gotten around to that I'm sure someone here will mention.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Maybe he meant their Sports cartoonist Squires, who actually is very good? :ohdear:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Anidav posted:

Turnbull is hosed. He'll get boxed in on all sides.

Wages
Housing
Medicare
Banking

Shorten is good at Yugioh.

He also has to contend with One Nation clawing at his knees and Brandis. He's absolutely hosed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:sad:

quote:

Liberal ‘deplorables’ tried to bring Malcolm Turnbull undone

A group of conservative Liberal MPs calling themselves “the deplorables” held regular phone hook-ups after last year’s close election result to co-ordinate a strategy to attack Malcolm Turnbull on several policy fronts and to get Tony Abbott back into cabinet.

The hook-ups throughout the second half of last year were instigated by Mr Abbott and Eric Abetz via calendar invites and group texts, with the pair chairing meetings that included directives to junior MPs to use the media to pressure the Turnbull government on issues such as Safe Schools and amending section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

They also sought to position conservative MPs for a fight over same-sex marriage if Mr Turnbull moved to a free vote once the plebiscite was defeated in parliament, arguing any change of policy would be a leadership issue.

The other MPs involved included Kevin Andrews, Michael Sukker, Rick Wilson, Andrew Hastie, Zed Seselja, Ian Goodenough, Cory Bernardi, Nicolle Flint, Jonathon Duniam, Craig Kelly, Scott Buchholz and Tony Pasin.

The strategy was designed to avoid Mr Abbott having to personally push too hard on various policy fronts, given he publicly declared there would be “no sniping” the day after he was removed as prime minister. It included frequent group text messaging. Senator Abetz and new South Australian MP Flint arranged get-togethers in their offices during sitting weeks.

However, support for the plan progressively eroded, as some of those involved started to feel they were being used, while others were silenced following promotion to the frontbench.

“He wanted clean hands,” one MP said of Mr Abbott. “So we were co-opted into the attacks.” Junior members of the group had thought the meetings were purely to discuss strategies as to how to press Mr Turnbull on conservative policy positions, before realising that “more sinister ­motives were at play”, as one participant put it.

Revelations of the plotting will only add to internal tensions following last Friday’s spat between Mr Turnbull and Mr Abbott. “The outbursts you’re now seeing from Tony have happened because the hook-ups didn’t produce the ­results he was looking for,” one participant said. “Most of us quickly came to realise this was about personalities, not policy.”

Some MPs included in the invitations when contacted by The Australian expressed frustration at what they described as “spam ­requests” they didn’t want or seek to be a part of.

One text from Senator Abetz read: “MYEFO took plebiscite funding out of the forward estimates. How can it be our policy if we don’t intend to fund it?”

In another text Mr Hastie suggested the use of the term “the ­deplorables” to describe the group, a reference to Hillary Clinton’s comments about Donald Trump supporters in the lead up to the US presidential election.

NSW MP Craig Kelly sent a text shortly after the group formed saying “I’m out” because he didn’t want to be part of a campaign of ­organised undermining of the government. More pointed criticisms of Mr Turnbull and strategies for promoting Mr Abbott’s political redemption were confined to the discussions rather than put in texts. One MP said Senator Bernardi’s decision to leave the Liberal Party earlier this month was in part as a consequence of the realisation that some conservatives were plotting to do to Mr Turnbull what Mr Turnbull and his supporters had done to Mr Abbott, and “he didn’t want any part of that”.

While Senator Bernardi was in New York last year, one group text directed his way declared “Dark Knight — Laundy occupied your seat” in the partyroom. Craig Laundy is a supporter of retaining 18C and was one of the MPs who plotted Mr Abbott’s removal.

Some of those involved formed the view the government was better off to “win or lose” with Mr Turnbull so conservatives couldn’t be blamed for a defeat. A member of the group recalled: “Tony became increasingly frustrated that nobody was following through.”

The escalation in tensions last week prompted members of the “deplorables” to open up about the strategy Mr Abbott and Senator Abetz embarked on last year.

Several participants in the exchanges last year told The Australian that the intervention of conservative minister Mathias Cormann, slapping down Mr ­Abbott for his remarks on Friday, was a marker for other conservatives to distance themselves from the former leader. “It’s all about Tony, that’s what most of us have come to realise,” one said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...f9a7b3847a05218

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

After seeing his actions as opposition leader, PM, the captains picks, and knowing his back story from student politics, how could these muppets ever think it was about something other than a Tony Abbott vanity project.

It's always been just about him. The PM gig was just the next prize to fight for.

Same as Kevin Rudd, who wanted to go one higher and rule the world by scoring Sec General at the UN.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
deter putton next pm

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

deter putton next pm

How many months will he last.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DancingShade posted:

How many months will he last.

Heavily depends on whether you keep him in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is anyone surprised?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Moon Atari posted:

Well, my Dad gets all his news from The Australian, 2GB, and 9 News.

Can't go wrong there.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Should Labor be sitting on their hands watching this, or are there active ways to exploit or widen this Liberal party destabilisation?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

AgentF posted:

I don't understand. How can Shorten have both a higher "satisfied" and a lower "dissatisfied" than Turnbull but then somehow Turnbull wins as preferred PM?

https://twitter.com/jonathonio/status/835798377308704771

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AgentF posted:

Should Labor be sitting on their hands watching this, or are there active ways to exploit or widen this Liberal party destabilisation?

Sit back and watch the fireworks in my book. If Shorten says anything, the Liberals and News Corpse media will try to paint him as one of the faceless men during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd days.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol christensen is on even footing with one nation in his shithole electorate. next election he's gone

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He could in theory defect to ONP to survive.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
He'll switch sides before then.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Starshark posted:

Look at this chump who subscribes to the idea of auteur-director

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait is George Christensen going to actually lose his seat?

To ONE NATION? Aahahhaha

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Sit back and watch the fireworks in my book. If Shorten says anything, the Liberals and News Corpse media will try to paint him as one of the faceless men during the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd days.

Which is unfair since the other side has a free hand to sink the boot and it generally improves their numbers. But governments lose elections.

So yeah watch them burn him as they "come to realise" their mistake. That little phrase is a giveaway, because they bloody knew. And so did the press gallery, who would have known of this for some time. It doesn't take a genius to work out that your backgrounders are connected, and it accounts for the rabbit-in-headlights stance of the CPG who loathe having to big up Shorten but couldn't mention the Libs implosion.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Someone tell a simpleton why politicians freak out about polls years before elections to the point where coups are a natural state of affairs these days.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So we're just going to overlook the fact that Bernardi likes to be called the Dark Knight?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So we're just going to overlook the fact that Bernardi likes to be called the Dark Knight?

You're surprised? Hell, I'm only bummed he doesn't call himself Two-Face.

snoremac posted:

Someone tell a simpleton why politicians freak out about polls years before elections to the point where coups are a natural state of affairs these days.

Because they have no idea how to govern, they literally understand politics only on the level of winning elections, taunting the opposition and favours to mates.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The Dutton Weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fH8gW9z24w

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/acoss-calls-for-slashing-tax-breaks-for-property-investors/8305046

quote:

Australian Council of Social Service calls for slashing tax breaks for property investors By senior business correspondent Peter Ryan Updated about an hour ago

Tax breaks for property investors should be slashed and the Medicare levy lifted to pump more funding into welfare spending, according to the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS). In its pre-budget submission, the peak welfare group says there is "no more fat to chew" from lower-paid workers or disadvantaged Australians as the Government seeks to carve out further savings. ACOSS is urging the Federal Government to consider a range of measures that would save $9.4 billion by 2018-19, such as reducing the current 50 per cent discount on capital gains tax (CGT) and winding back generous tax breaks on negative gearing. ACOSS chief executive Dr Cassandra Goldie told the ABC the future welfare of less-well-off Australians overrides generous tax concessions for property investors. "We can no longer afford the 50 per cent discount on taxes for capital gains from property assets and deductions for such investment using negative gearing," Dr Goldie said. The ACOSS submission calls for the CGT discount to be at least halved and negative gearing concessions reduced to cool property speculation and the current housing affordability crisis.

On Friday, Reserve Bank governor Philip Lowe suggested altering the mix of tax breaks for property investors, such as capital gains tax and negative gearing, could tax some heat out of the currently hot real estate market. Dr Goldie has urged the Government to recast its budget strategy and to move on from a "one-sided focus on spending cuts", especially in the area of welfare spending. "It is clear that governments will not be able to fund the cost of essential services such as health, aged care and NDIS [National Disability Insurance Scheme] from present tax revenues," Dr Goldie said. "It is not fair or reasonable to expect people who need to see a doctor, attend hospital or move into aged care to pay more for these essential services."

ACOSS calls for tax on sugary drinks

Apart from scaling back concessions for property investments, ACOSS wants the Private Health Insurance Rebate scrapped so the Government can invest in preventative health services. The submission says $4 billion could be raised by removing an exemption from a higher levy in the Medicare surcharge for people who hold private health insurance. ACOSS is also calling for a tax on sugary drinks which could add $500 million to Treasury coffers in 2017-18. Not surprisingly, Dr Goldie is opposed to a cut in the corporate tax rate from 30 per cent to 25 per cent over 10 years. "Our nation cannot afford unfunded company tax cuts at this time for large or small businesses. Any tax cut should be funded through business tax reform," Dr Goldie said. "There is simply little left to cut without harming people on the lowest incomes and driving more families and children into poverty."

The ACOSS submission also wants the Medicare Safety Net abolished and further reforms to private trusts and superannuation contributions to ensure Treasurer Scott Morrison finds savings without hurting the poor.
Scott doesn't want to hurt the poor. Their demise will be largely painless. Also lol at all these homeless people trying to talk down to house havers! Uppitty fucken shopping trolley pushers. Get a job!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

Because they have no idea how to govern, they literally understand politics only on the level of winning elections, taunting the opposition and favours to mates.

To be fait it's not lime the MSM portrays it as anything more than this so I can see where they might have got the impression.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The MSM absolutely encourage that view but I think they simply haven't grown out of student politics which is a safe space for dickheads to play führeprinzip without actually accomplishing anything. Their final goal, the abolishment of a compulsory services fee for tertiary students, is exactly the kind of useless destructive ideological crap that they carry into adult politics.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
[In April 2016] 3AW’s Neil Mitchell asked Bill Shorten whether he would accept the findings of the FWC review. Shorten gave a succinct “yes”. Pressed on whether he’d do so even if the finding was to reduce Sunday rates, Shorten replied “I said I’d accept the independent tribunal”.

https://theconversation.com/labor-struggles-with-the-sticky-paper-of-penalty-rates-59487

Its a long bow but what does this mean for Peter Duttons leadershop ambitions

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well Shorten is absolutely not allowed to change his mind because something something polls.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The shitcan that made the decision is Shorten's sponsor child as well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Shorten is gonna hit a landslide stride now and literally nothing can stop it. Turnbull is always looking like the out of touch old man the opposition portrays him as. He has lost the media war to Bill loving Shorten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

sick of Applebees posted:

So who's here at this Greens campaign school at UQ today?

I was meant to be. How did it go?

• Locked thread