Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was trying to wipe OP3's cache, but the pattern recognition app failed to recognize the pattern no matter what. Finally after switching to a simple 4 dot L pattern it recognized it. Apparently oneplus had to code their own pattern recognition app for recovery mode, and it actually sucks and doesn't work at the only task it is supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread but in summary:

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently oneplus had to code and it actually sucks and doesn't work.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tunga posted:

Wrong thread but in summary:

I'm sorry. I was wondering where did my message disappear, and then I found it in here -,- oops. At least it was an Android-related thead!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Kiger_Soze posted:

Is there anyway to disable AMP in chrome? I can't loving take it anymore... Or do I need to just switch browsers?
You can't and it's not just a Chrome thing

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

datajosh posted:

You can't and it's not just a Chrome thing

drat, thats what I thought. Guess i'm a be a bing boy now. I used to love you google....

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kiger_Soze posted:

drat, thats what I thought. Guess i'm a be a bing boy now. I used to love you google....

What's wrong with AMP pages? Are you that guilty about abetting Google's theft of their ad dollars?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

What's wrong with AMP pages? Are you that guilty about abetting Google's theft of their ad dollars?

Personally, I love them. I always get a little pissed when I go to some desktop-layout-only page and Chrome doesn't offer to give me a mobile-optimized layout. Not a problem with AMP!

Of course, that's just my immediate non-principled reaction. I have principled problems with AMP, but not strong enough to make me want to switch to Bing!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Like the very idea of using an Android phone and not having your "internet life" centered around Google seems so weird.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I hate AMP pages. Every time I read an Ars news article I want to hit the comments too. Which means I have to delete the amp string from page's url.. so I just do it every time I get to an article. Before AMP I didn't need to do anything extra, just read the news, read the comments. Now I need to start the whole shitshow with clicking the url bar, scrolling around, backspacing some characters away, reloading the page.. god drat. Is this all Google's fault yet again?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, it's yours for wanting to read the comments on news articles.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
What the gently caress is AMP?

Is there a legit up to clean up various cached garbage? I just nuked half a gig of cat videos from the Whatsapp cache on my mom's MotoG but it's a pain in the rear end to do regularly and also for viber, IG and other apps. I actually did the "delete data/cache" from the Android options but it didn't do poo poo to the useless videos.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

No, it's yours for wanting to read the comments on news articles.

Ars has good comments

Kiger_Soze
Feb 1, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I just don't like how they force you to interact with websites differently.

I have a big rear end phone for a reason. I hate mobile websites

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Ihmemies posted:

I hate AMP pages. Every time I read an Ars news article I want to hit the comments too. Which means I have to delete the amp string from page's url.. so I just do it every time I get to an article. Before AMP I didn't need to do anything extra, just read the news, read the comments. Now I need to start the whole shitshow with clicking the url bar, scrolling around, backspacing some characters away, reloading the page.. god drat. Is this all Google's fault yet again?
There's supposed to be a link button in the headers now that'll give you the original URL, but yes, AMP is Google's fault.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AMP is great, I've been finding it a godsend with browsing sites on my phone. Give me more, Google!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Android looked like trash the three times they tried a dark theme (Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich) so why should they do it again? All it does is make things gloomy and difficult to read and it certainly turns more people off than is necessary.

Actually they added a new type of app theme that can switch between light and dark a year ago, and they're anticipating a system-wide setting for if and how the user wants to use night mode. They were messing with it in the Nougat betas but it pretty much all got removed, probably wasn't ready

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
So the 7.1.2 beta for the N6P came through but it doesn't have the fingerprint gesture to pull the notification shade down. First world problems.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

dissss posted:

So the 7.1.2 beta for the N6P came through but it doesn't have the fingerprint gesture to pull the notification shade down. First world problems.

That always seemed like a solution looking for a problem, but what do I know.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It lets you one handed use the phone easier. Since your finger is usually resting on/near the sensor on Nexus/Pixel you can just slightly swipe down and there's your notifications. It's not a big deal for most people I imagine, but it is convenient.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Personally, I love them. I always get a little pissed when I go to some desktop-layout-only page and Chrome doesn't offer to give me a mobile-optimized layout. Not a problem with AMP!

Of course, that's just my immediate non-principled reaction. I have principled problems with AMP, but not strong enough to make me want to switch to Bing!

This sums up my feelings exactly.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Admittedly I don't do a ton of browsing on my phone, but I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. Does someone have a screenshot or something to explain what AMP is and why it's so terrible / not terrible?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're using Amp for news aggregation (e.g. news.google.com, Google Now) news.yahoo.com isn't bad. It isn't great mind you, but better than Bing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Google is shutting down "Spaces" on March 3rd, so that is one less google messaging app.

9 months might be a new record for killing one off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Admittedly I don't do a ton of browsing on my phone, but I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. Does someone have a screenshot or something to explain what AMP is and why it's so terrible / not terrible?

AMP
https://www.ampproject.org/learn/about-amp/

Basically, it lets you make static mobile pages that Google can serve up real quick to the end user. It's mainly used by news sites that you'd get to from Google Search.

Sites use it because they don't want to be giving you slower web pages than their competitors, but I've heard that it's real annoying to get your content off of the system once you start using AMP.

For the end user, I don't have issues using the sites, but it used to be annoying sharing links (they would have a bunch of junk appended). They fixed that by adding a link to the original page, which I highly appreciate.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do any generic search on your phone and you should see at least a few AMP pages noted in the results.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Like offline navigation instructions, it shows a little lightning bolt icon. as shown below:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any "find my friends" type of apps that work on both Android and iPhone? Something that can show GPS location.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Google+ Location tab can do that and does seem to be supported on iOS too. Let's you pick between pinpoint and city for any given group.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Google+ Location tab can do that and does seem to be supported on iOS too. Let's you pick between pinpoint and city for any given group.

Google+ location sharing is not possible from an iOS device. It's one of the main reason my girlfriend when from an iPhone 6s to a Pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is that new-ish Google Trusted Contacts app available on iOS? Does it even work or do what you want?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that new-ish Google Trusted Contacts app available on iOS? Does it even work or do what you want?

Nope, Android only (though iOS is forthcoming). Also, it's really bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google! Why gently caress everything up?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

Google+ location sharing is not possible from an iOS device. It's one of the main reason my girlfriend when from an iPhone 6s to a Pixel.
You may know the only person in history to put forth actual effort in order to keep using Google+

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

You may know the only person in history to put forth actual effort in order to keep using Google+

This is true. Of course, you know they're going to shut down G+ any day now and replace its working implementation of location sharing for the horrible Trusted Contacts so it's a pyrrhic victory at best.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I don't use G+ for the social stuff but my fiance and I like Locations. It'll be a shame when Google finally kills it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

G+ is the only social network my immediate group of friends use to plan anything.

Barring that, it's group Hangouts chats.

So, what I'm saying is, Google is poised to kill my social life.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It actually is, but you have to set it up on an Android device for some reason. After that, you can sign into G+ from her iPhone and it should work.

(unless something has changed in the last month or two)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LastInLine posted:

This is true. Of course, you know they're going to shut down G+ any day now and replace its working implementation of location sharing for the horrible Trusted Contacts so it's a pyrrhic victory at best.

Coming soon... Google Positive

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What's a good weather radar app? I have weather timeline, but don't really care for its radar that doesn't seem to differentiate between rain and snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Deeters posted:

What's a good weather radar app? I have weather timeline, but don't really care for its radar that doesn't seem to differentiate between rain and snow.

NOAA Hi-Def Radar is the one I use.