Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

doingitwrong posted:

That's supported by the lore, right? Like Purebred Asari are more likely to be all hosed up Ardat-Yakshi?

So the rest of us are along for the ride to be sex cattle to prevent the Asari from going all Hapsburg in the new galaxy?

I actually do think it's lore. I mean, maybe it's an extra 30% increase over the already rare 0.003% chance that an Ardat Yakshi is born, but even so, the other races are there to prevent inbreeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Drifter posted:

I think it's the 600 year gap that is throwing people off.

It's one thing to explore and be there and back in 2, 5, 10, 12 years and another to just get to where you're going in 600 years.

This is why I believe it wouldn't have been Cerberus, and more Just the Asari who then opened their doors to the other races for technology and money's sake (and also for the fuckin').

To some other races, 600 years is nothing. There's also cryogenic sleep for humans and other races who don't live that long.

Like, there are people now who would be happy to be put to sleep for 600 years just to wake up in the future, or to explore space.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Do humans still live for 90 odd years or have they done some work on that in ME universe?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JBP posted:

Do humans still live for 90 odd years or have they done some work on that in ME universe?

According to the codex, normal human lifespan in ME is 150 years or so. Miranda is in her 40s.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Average human lifespan is around 150 from memory.

There's also a bit in ME3 where a Matriarch talks about how when she was younger she tried to push for attempting to build new Relays and exploring off the existing Relay network, and basically got laughed out of the room by people in authority. There should be no shortage of people willing to jump onto a private scheme to do what the major governments won't.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Mymla posted:

The andromeda initiative sounds kinda silly at first, but starts making more and more sense the more you think about it.

It only makes sense if the people behind it know about the Reapers. Perhaps an organization like Cerberus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cythereal posted:

Miranda is in her 40s.

I'm sorry but this is the most absurd thing that has been posted in this entire thread.

Is Dr. Chakwas supposed to be like 100 then? Lookin' good if so.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm wondering if the plan is to go to Andromeda and try to build a relay there.

I mean, according to lore that wouldn't work anyway, because you could have just used/built a relay capable of it and launched yourselves there in the first place, but lore consistency hasn't ever stopped them before.

It makes me think of Hyperion where the guy is building an interspace portal but has to do it by conventional FTL, which means each time he comes back everyone has aged 20 years. The pay is phenomenal, as in "set for life" money, but it basically guarantees everyone you know will be dead by the time you're done unless they're on your work crew.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked Cerberus a lot and wished there were more options to RP a zany space racist.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

precision posted:

I'm sorry but this is the most absurd thing that has been posted in this entire thread.

Miranda's a special case, she says something along the lines of thanks to her genetic engineering she'll likely live the standard human lifespan plus half again, so 200+

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

precision posted:

IIRC she's supposed to be around 70.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

To some other races, 600 years is nothing. There's also cryogenic sleep for humans and other races who don't live that long.

Like, there are people now who would be happy to be put to sleep for 600 years just to wake up in the future, or to explore space.

Sure, but is there anyone of those same people who would be happy donating large sums of money to have other people go do the 600 year thing?

My argument is that hte people FUNDING it have to not be human, because no fuckin' human would do such a thing, even a rich one, and certainly not enough rich ones to help offset the costs of doing this journey.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

precision posted:

Dr Chakwas is a hard living alcoholic. :cheers:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

It only makes sense if the people behind it know about the Reapers. Perhaps an organization like Cerberus.

Or maybe the Shadow Broker

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

DarkHorse posted:

I mean, according to lore that wouldn't work anyway, because you could have just used/built a relay capable of it and launched yourselves there in the first place, but lore consistency hasn't ever stopped them before.

i thought mass relays could only send you to another relay, though? like they make a ~magic space~ corridor of zero friction or whatever technobabble and so need two endpoints

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Genetic engineering was limited by Council edict.
The Initiative is beyond the jurisdiction of the Council now. 500-year lifespans for everyone!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DarkHorse posted:

It makes me think of Hyperion where the guy is building an interspace portal but has to do it by conventional FTL, which means each time he comes back everyone has aged 20 years. The pay is phenomenal, as in "set for life" money, but it basically guarantees everyone you know will be dead by the time you're done unless they're on your work crew.

maybe they can't slow down, or don't have the tech small enough to be put onto a ship to slow them donw, so they need to build the launcher/catcher's mitt relay before doing anything.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Drifter posted:

Sure, but is there anyone of those same people who would be happy donating large sums of money to have other people go do the 600 year thing?

My argument is that hte people FUNDING it have to not be human, because no fuckin' human would do such a thing, even a rich one, and certainly not enough rich ones to help offset the costs of doing this journey.

Please show us a breakdown on the exact numbers needed to take people to Andromeda, and why it's 100% impossible for there to be enough rich people in the galaxy who want to see such a project happen and/or personally take part in the project.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Iron Rose posted:

okay yes logically speaking the andromeda initiative is super dumb

but also who the gently caress cares it's more mass effect. handwave that poo poo.

Mass Effect is and always has been drywall sci-fi. Looks good if you don't pay too much attention but yes obviously the second you scrutinize the science to any degree it's going to fall apart you blithering fucks.

Andromeda Initiative is no different. From a narrative standpoint a sleeper ship to a neighboring galaxy is a very elegant way to dodge the issue of following up on a deeply divisive ending and shifts the focus of the series to a more "exploring the final frontier" Star Trek-y tone. This is a good thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

Mass Effect is and always has been drywall sci-fi. Looks good if you don't pay too much attention but yes obviously the second you scrutinize the science to any degree it's going to fall apart you blithering fucks.

*checks notes*

but i thought it was details-oriented sci-fi?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

marshmallow creep posted:

Dr Chakwas is a hard living alcoholic. :cheers:

Look, if we get to the point of having loving spaceships and lasers I'm just saying they better have a pill you can take that just repairs your liver overnight.

Though also I would hope that by then we have better drugs than alcohol and space-Ecstasy.

e: Watching Giant Bomb's quicklook thing, why does Cora have Asari Commando skill :confused:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drifter posted:

maybe they can't slow down, or don't have the tech small enough to be put onto a ship to slow them donw, so they need to build the launcher/catcher's mitt relay before doing anything.

I'm fairly certain they need a relay at both ends, otherwise the plot to ME1 makes no sense (The Reapers needed to use the Citadel as a giant relay to invade).

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

precision posted:

e: Watching Giant Bomb's quicklook thing, why does Cora have Asari Commando skill :confused:

She says that she's served with an asari commando unit in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zTyRopbZ8

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mymla posted:

Please show us a breakdown on the exact numbers needed to take people to Andromeda, and why it's 100% impossible for there to be enough rich people in the galaxy who want to see such a project happen and/or personally take part in the project.

Are you still talking humans, or any aliens? Anyway, we know that Cerberus had all the human money not already involved with the military.

And if the ark is 40% rich people then maybe that's how they funded humanity's share.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Alright, playing through the trilogy, and this time I'm going to try to finish it. I'm playing an MShep for the first time, and it feels way harder to make a guy who doesn't look like a clay-faced NPC in ME1. Also, drat. Your conplexion options are 1) none, 2) corpse or 3) old wild west prospector

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man, I kind of hope that there are some other body types/shapes/sizes in this game. One of the things that really dates ME as a series upon replaying it is how pretty much everyone of every species is the same from the neck down. Also there is one palette shifted dress in the whole of the galaxy. One formal suit. Etc. It looks really stupid.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"I don't understand economics, non-sperg psychology, or incentives, nor have I bothered to read the Mass Effect codex. But I had $10 for a SA account and $60 for this game, ask me why the concept of the Andromeda Initiative totally makes sense."

:ironicat:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrNutt posted:

Man, I kind of hope that there are some other body types/shapes/sizes in this game. One of the things that really dates ME as a series upon replaying it is how pretty much everyone of every species is the same from the neck down. Also there is one palette shifted dress in the whole of the galaxy. One formal suit. Etc. It looks really stupid.

All I have seen confirmed is we can't change Ryder's body type. No word if everyone of a race is the same size and body type.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I would say that the ship's engineer should be a big surly fat guy or something but apparently the engineer is going to be the gay love interest voiced by the guy who played Renly on Game of Thrones so he's gonna be a hunk

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I would say that the ship's engineer should be a big surly fat guy or something but apparently the engineer is going to be the gay love interest voiced by the guy who played Renly on Game of Thrones so he's gonna be a hunk

Are you implying a big fat surly guy wouldn't be a hunk? :3:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Give is a bara-bae, Bioware.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

DarkHorse posted:

There are a few blurbs in the fluff that one of the long term goals is to come up with a way for regular travel between the two galaxies.

marshmallow creep posted:

All I have seen confirmed is we can't change Ryder's body type. No word if everyone of a race is the same size and body type.

I wish Bioware wasn't lazy and put more into their internal work like Bioware does. Each character in Overwatch has it's own unique skeleton or something approximate to it. If Bioware wasn't hung up on recycling the same skeleton we'd see a lot cooler aliens and robots in action.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Trast posted:

I wish Bioware wasn't lazy and put more into their internal work like Bioware does. Each character in Overwatch has it's own unique skeleton or something approximate to it. If Bioware wasn't hung up on recycling the same skeleton we'd see a lot cooler aliens and robots in action.

Overwatch is a different kind of game, and one of the selling points is the diversity of the main cast. You only have to look at WoW to see Blizzard reusing models and animation.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Ok so here's the deal. The Normandy is an unusable garbage ship. Every time they accelerate in space, the cockpit would become up and the engines would be down. Joker's fragile bones would be completely crushed due to the heavy G's of space travel.

Mass Effect is magic sci-fi. You might as well be mad that Humans are portrayed as willing to be part of a power-sharing unity government with other races, because that poo poo would never happen. We'd make the Krogan Wars look considerate, and reasonable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Ok so here's the deal. The Normandy is an unusable garbage ship. Every time they accelerate in space, the cockpit would become up and the engines would be down. Joker's fragile bones would be completely crushed due to the heavy G's of space travel.

Mass Effect is magic sci-fi. You might as well be mad that Humans are portrayed as willing to be part of a power-sharing unity government with other races, because that poo poo would never happen. We'd make the Krogan Wars look considerate, and reasonable.

Shh, don't bring up the actual facts in a made up game of nonsense when people are bitching about how made up some of the nonsense is

They might not like that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

This is what the titular Mass Effect is for. You can do funny things when you can control how much mass anything has.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

~*~ Mass Effect Fields ~*~ :techno:

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

This is what the titular Mass Effect is for. You can do funny things when you can control how much mass anything has.

Like I said, magic sci-fi. Since you're fine with an unexplained modification of physics, lets say there is also a thing called "Politics Effect" that helps you control how much financial and popular support a project has.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
One of my viewers encouraged me to stop being a scrub playing on Bronze and Silver, and just jump right to Platinum in ME3 multiplayer.

The upside? The gameplay on Platnium is fast, fun, and TOTALLY different than any other difficulty. The downside? It's SO frenetic it's like sucking helium while getting your balls slammed in a screen door. :gibs:

Fake edit: how people casually talk about soloing Platinum is beyond me. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

One of the original ending choices in ME1 if you let the council die was to agree with Udina's power grab and establish an all human council to rule the galaxy. That was completely abandoned for the sequel though. There was also a lot of human supremacist alien hater dialog for Shepard in ME1 too, like you could tell the turian councilor that you'd like to genocide his entire species and stuff