Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

basic hitler posted:

Maybe Crichton was a hack, but I had a good time reading Jurassic Park and Andromeda Strain. His other stuff may be samey to the point of comedy but those are a good read and considerably better than a lot of science fiction I could've read instead.

I'll never be able to look at JP without rose colored glasses after how much I enjoyed reading it in 6th grade. I've never been so glued to a book. I was also so proud of myself for reading such a big book :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

The 13th Warrior was really underrated I thought. Never have read the book though.

Whenever I hear people talk about this movie, everyone gets extremely hung up on "that's not how you make a scimitar" and "that's not how you learn another language" criticisms but as far as historical revisionist cannibal viking horror movies go, this was a good one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Enos Cabell posted:

The 13th Warrior was really underrated I thought. Never have read the book though.

The book is way better than the movie and my favorite Chricton book overall.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I heard Pirate Latitudes was pretty decent and Spielberg wanted to adapt it, which I would allow since he's one of the few who could make Crichton's works great movies; Crichton was pretty much a hack in retrospect, though The Andromeda Strain is still a decent book.

Don't forget, he also went back to "The Andromeda Strain" poorly as well with "Sphere" and "Prey".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

achillesforever6 posted:

Crichton was pretty much a hack in retrospect, though The Andromeda Strain is still a decent book.

His best novel is A Case of Need and it isn't even close. Holy God, he fell off a cliff after Jurassic Park, though. The Japan-bashing in Rising Sun is disgusting, Disclosure, The Lost World, Timeline and Airframe are all trash and I gave up on him after that, never bothered with Prey or State of Fear or Next.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rising Sun is hilarious in how immediately it dates itself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Don't forget, he also went back to "The Andromeda Strain" poorly as well with "Sphere" and "Prey".

Andromeda Strain and Sphere are pretty different. They both feature a team of scientists, but Sphere is about them confronting their own repressed fears and desires, while Andromeda Strain is about them confronting an implacable and chaotic universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

His best novel is A Case of Need and it isn't even close. Holy God, he fell off a cliff after Jurassic Park, though. The Japan-bashing in Rising Sun is disgusting, Disclosure, The Lost World, Timeline and Airframe are all trash and I gave up on him after that, never bothered with Prey or State of Fear or Next.

prey is actually half decent as it's mostly a thriller but state of fear is global warming denialism bullshit and i think next contains a character named after a journalist who wrote negatively about him because of the global warming denialism and the character is a peodphile with a tiny penis.

michael crichton was the king of "idea guys". i would've loved to have seen his premises handled by someone who could actually write.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

prey is actually half decent as it's mostly a thriller but state of fear is global warming denialism bullshit and i think next contains a character named after a journalist who wrote negatively about him because of the global warming denialism and the character is a peodphile with a tiny penis.

michael crichton was the king of "idea guys". i would've loved to have seen his premises handled by someone who could actually write.

Don't forget that his original film treatments that he wrote and directed have some interesting bits. Runaway is pretty laughable these days and it's answer came in the form of The Terminator, released the same month as Runaway, but Looker has some interesting ideas that could have been explored separately, like cosmetic surgery addiction to attain the perfect look, image rights in the computer-generated area, and tailored advertising becoming frighteningly effective, but putting them together in the same film with dazzler guns and conspiracy plot just results in a jumbled mishmash.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Peanut President posted:

Technically no dinosaurs break out in any Jurassic Park movies because they're not true dinosaurs due to the frog dna inserted into their code. :colbert:

Also the lack of feathers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bill Paxton passed away at 61.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Game over man. Game over. :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the worst scientific discovery in human history, bar none.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst scientific discovery in human history, bar none.

Feathered dinos are way cool you loving scrub

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nope. scales are way cooler and scarier. nerds always try to defend the drag queens of the jurassic but it'll never work on me, my mind is too strong.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

nope. scales are way cooler and scarier. nerds always try to defend the drag queens of the jurassic but it'll never work on me, my mind is too strong.

The scaly ones were never real and also look dumb. You ever meet a lizard? They're stupid as hell and not intimidating in the least.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If it didn't inevitably cost a ton of money to do, I'd love to see versions of the JP series as giant birds, just to see how goofy it'd be.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

The Great Train Robbery was a fun movie too. As people've been saying t's his later stuff that was just downright insufferable.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rough Lobster posted:

Was this the one where THEY FAX THEMSELVES TO THE PAST! because that's all I remember about that movie. What a dumb idea.

Wait, if they faxed themselves to the past, they would just be creating a copy of themselves in the past, and the original ones would stay in the present. because faxing doesn't destroy the original document, only copies it in a remote location.

*has clearly watched/read too much sci-fi*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spatula City posted:

Wait, if they faxed themselves to the past, they would just be creating a copy of themselves in the past, and the original ones would stay in the present. because faxing doesn't destroy the original document, only copies it in a remote location.

I don't know about the movie but in the book they literally go "don't think about it too much" and also he cheats because the people are conscious the entire time so you know that it's actually "them." A weird thing about the book is that even though they are all perfectly clear that it isn't actually the past the corporate guys have a stupid rule about not bringing advanced technology with them. Even though the very first thing that happens when they travel is some dudes show up and murder all their guards.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The book is way better than the movie and my favorite Chricton book overall.

I thought it was the great train robbery? Your Crichton opinions are slippery as heck

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was a great writer. Not a great prose stylist, and I know sentence level writing is the only thing MFAs care about these days, but homeboy could structure a page turner like no other. A Crichton novel is insomnia with page numbers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think I made this thing my pet in WoW once.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I thought it was the great train robbery? Your Crichton opinions are slippery as heck

It goes back and forth. When I was a kid, for sure it was Jurassic Park or Congo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Spatula City posted:

There's a french canadian sci-fi comedy show where they used Telefaxing instead of Teleporting.

I find it funny.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it looks fabulous.

DeimosRising posted:

He was a great writer. Not a great prose stylist, and I know sentence level writing is the only thing MFAs care about these days, but homeboy could structure a page turner like no other. A Crichton novel is insomnia with page numbers.

he was not a great writer and his books often got bogged down in exposition.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

he was not a great writer and his books often got bogged down in exposition.

My go-to example of this is when he spends like forty pages in The Lost World babbling incessantly about prions.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I was reading a book called The Fold which was about teleportation and the entire time I was thinking "This is just Timeline only with teleportation instead of time travel" and then it turned out that the tech was based on crazy Cthulhu math and was actually swapping people with alternate universe people and then of course Lovecraftian horrors from beyond came through

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It goes back and forth. When I was a kid, for sure it was Jurassic Park or Congo.

And much like Jurassic Park, the movie adaptation of Congo perfected the source material.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hell yeah the Congo movie is great.

Rising Sun is hilarious in how immediately it dates itself.

Clive Cussler had a japan-bashing book too that I somehow slogged through last year and it is so terrible. The lead character is continually the most awesome smart guy everywhere, I think he even killed a japanese guy with a samurai sword at the end when he invades Japan. But most of the book is boring as well as super anti-Japan.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The scaly ones were never real and also look dumb. You ever meet a lizard? They're stupid as hell and not intimidating in the least.

Crocodiles are pretty intimidating. And speaking of novel chat, The Great Zoo of China has dragons that are sort of flying crocodiles and it's cool as hell. It's like Jurassic Park with a lot more explosions.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 27, 2017

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

got any sevens posted:

Hell yeah the Congo movie is great.

Clive Cussler had a japan-bashing book too that I somehow slogged through last year and it is so terrible. The lead character is continually the most awesome smart guy everywhere, I think he even killed a japanese guy with a samurai sword at the end when he invades Japan. But most of the book is boring as well as super anti-Japan.

Dirk Pitt?!? Didn't Cussler write more than one book where Pitt and Cussler meet and hang out and talk about how cool each other are?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

Dirk Pitt?!? Didn't Cussler write more than one book where Pitt and Cussler meet and hang out and talk about how cool each other are?

Clive Cussler always has a self-insert version of himself who shows up to either shoot the poo poo or give some minor assistance.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

Crocodiles are pretty intimidating. And speaking of novel chat, The Great Zoo of China has dragons that are sort of flying crocodiles and it's cool as hell. It's like Jurassic Park with a lot more explosions.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Len posted:

"This is just Timeline only with teleportation instead of time travel"

To be fair, Timeline is Timeline with teleportation instead of time travel.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Re: Timeline (the book, anyway. Haven't seen the movie in ages)--

It wasn't a "fax", they used fax as a way to explain some nasty errors that cropped up later. The time machine tapped into a wormhole that led only to that specific time and place in the past, so I don't know where this whole time travel theme park thing is coming from because they can only send people to medieval France and nowhere else (and not a parallell France, either. It's our France). So the Marek that left a message was their Marek.

I agree that a lot of it was pretty bad, though, but they weren't faxing people bad. :v:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I like when the history nerd hero guy stays in the past and becomes a medieval badass.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LucyWanabe posted:

Re: Timeline (the book, anyway. Haven't seen the movie in ages)--

It wasn't a "fax", they used fax as a way to explain some nasty errors that cropped up later. The time machine tapped into a wormhole that led only to that specific time and place in the past, so I don't know where this whole time travel theme park thing is coming from because they can only send people to medieval France and nowhere else (and not a parallell France, either. It's our France). So the Marek that left a message was their Marek.

I agree that a lot of it was pretty bad, though, but they weren't faxing people bad. :v:

I think it was something about how some of the earlier travellers racked up enough trips that they started to get photocopy of a photocopy errors. Like imagine slicing a picture of someone in two and then trying to line up the two slices perfectly again but being just slightly off. People had their bones and cellular walls and blood vessels not quite lining up or connecting properly.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, transcription errors were why that one guy became a psychotic rear end in a top hat and stayed behind earlier. His brain got hosed up by the system being imperfect.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also cool was the start of the book where the stereotype nerd kid who knows all about quantam physics so he can explain it to the dumb-rear end adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Dinosaurs = feathered isn't as clear cut as headlines make it.

Most dinosaurs were scaled. There's some evidence that ceratopsians had a bit of feathering here and there, but for the most part they are how you pictured them, give or take a little plumage along the back.

There is little evidence that large therapods had large, colourful, shafted feathers like modern birds. There is strong evidence they had fluffy downy feathers, but again it's not clear if they all had them (because there are certainly examples of certain species with scaled skin) or if they only appeared on juveniles which were lost as the animal matured. Eitherway, a T-Rex probably looked less like a flamingo and more like a wolf. Dromeosaurs are a different story, there is pretty strong fossil evidence that at least some of them had large feathered coverings so it stands to reason that most of them were probably like that. So Velociraptor, which was actually a teeny little dinosaur with a crocodile like snout, was probably Absolutely Fabulous.

Big fluffy feathers like the ones we associated with modern birds have evolved to allow the animal to fly and conserve heat. They may have been evolutionary advantageous to a small therapod, but If you are a 16 meter, 8 tonne monster, you aren't flying nor losing heaps of heat. How does it benefit the animal to evolve them? It probably doesn't.

• Locked thread