Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

More national elections that andrew little has won

She definitely learned from her last election not to take anything for granted and to get the vote out as hard as possible.

As for the greens it is annoying that they have drifted pass the sweet spot of good economic policy just a little. I am a little wary of them promising to lower taxes for everyone as that great as a Keynesian tool "Lower Taxes Everyone" because reasons is not as sound for my liking. Otherwise on the surface the policies are pretty agreeable.

"Lower Taxes Everyone" is likely a thing as a lot people during elections only understand 2 to 4 words at a time which makes it impossible to sell more useful complex ideas. Of course you should note that their policy statement is as they are still raising taxes but targeting investors is a little two faced. But if it lets them win along with labour and we eat the rich I am ok with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Where did this notion of eating the rich if labour win come from? Labour are just as much 'the rich' as national.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Where did this notion of eating the rich if labour win come from? Labour are just as much 'the rich' as national.

"If" greens economic policies get through there is some eating of the rich.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

exmarx posted:

It's gratifying to see the greens consistently fail as they move towards the centre

Out of interest, what policy changes are you referring to in particular?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oohhboy posted:

"If" greens economic policies get through there is some eating of the rich.

lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
They've been signalling towards the economic centre since Norman was leader

(Shaw's maiden speech)

They understand that their biggest problem is credibility with voters, and are doing away with most of the wacky hippie stuff. But in an attempt to improve their economic credibility they've essentially become reformists of capitalism. imo they only really needed to do the former to be more successful.

There's nothing here that inspires me in the slightest (cut interest rates! tax breaks for electric vehicles!) https://www.greens.org.nz/policy/smarter-economy

The immigration policy they announced last year was vile - it would amount to a cut of nearly 40,000 migrants in 2016. As an aside, their population policy reads Malthusian as gently caress lol.

And don't get me wrong, Labour is worse :mrgw:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeeeeah Norman is basically persona non grata at this point -- everybody I've spoken to is trying to distance themselves from that time period.

Also yeah the immigration policy was absolutely hosed up. I've tried to talk to people about it but I'm a very small cog in the machine and nobody gives a gently caress what I think. :smith:

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 26, 2017

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I just want the all blacks to keep winning. Go sports team!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjuiAPkEAw

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Moving right is a dumb poo poo thing to do as it eats into labor.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Moving right is a dumb poo poo thing to do as it eats into labor.

I think moving right is a brilliant thing to do, racism and regression are trending hard ATM.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Got mine gently caress you

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/nzmorningreport/status/835924514559033344

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
He's not wrong I guess

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
One could call the food shortages a famine in so much as it relates to those for whom eating is a priority

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beyond his inability to speak, I think he's trying to say the real crisis is they're poor as poo poo, having no home is just a symptom. Of course, why treat the symptom without the disease, but also you can't treat the disease because it'd be unfair to the rich. Oh well.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Except everyone having more money wouldn't magically solve the supply of housing not meeting the demand, it'd just push prices even higher

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Oh well I guess if we can't solve inequality by printing money for everyone then I guess it can't be done.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You solve inequality by abolishing money not making more.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

Oh well I guess if we can't solve inequality by printing money for everyone then I guess it can't be done.

We should try and solve inequality but even if we do it still wouldn't solve the housing shortage. There still wouldn't be enough for everyone and they'd still be expensive. What I'm saying is we should build more homes while we eat the rich

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

We should try and solve inequality but even if we do it still wouldn't solve the housing shortage. There still wouldn't be enough for everyone and they'd still be expensive. What I'm saying is we should build more homes while we eat the rich

Is there data showing there's genuinely not enough homes to go around regardless of price? Surely speculators flipping them like MTG cards would take up a large chunk of places that would otherwise be lived in.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Is there data showing there's genuinely not enough homes to go around regardless of price? Surely speculators flipping them like MTG cards would take up a large chunk of places that would otherwise be lived in.
Notable.

The same thing went down in Vancouver and is now catastrophically falling to pieces.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...k.post.89731945

Welp

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Sorry, you may have me a bit backward. My point was that the housing crisis exists because of the massively increasing inequality that National and Labour have intentionally allowed to occur in the decades preceding this point due to their neoliberal ideology that makes them see any solution to poverty as a "penalty" to the wealthy. I wasn't suggesting they could now solve the crisis through fixing inequality, but their inability to prevent this crisis by having addressed it in the past.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/newshubnz/status/835898112946253824

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait so does that mean that they're...contributing to the economy?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I also lol'd

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

It's totally understandable. When have any religious people ever turned out to be child - oh yeah.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The only industry not in decline in my region is tourism. Although I don't think we have enough homeless to adjust those numbers.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Who woulda guessed reincarnation was a thing? And that it happened to Dan Quayle?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, if you're unemployed, it's because you're on the drugs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was gonna ask how one is able to afford constant narcotic intake whilst unemployed, but given the rate of benny bashing and crimenews-ing in this country I'm fairly certain I can guess the narrative.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You'll find that it's true, because our esteemed PM said so today!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

He could say the sky is above us and I'd look out the window to check.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

But do you realise homeless people can get waterfront vistas for free in Auckland? People pay millions for the same privilege

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

WarpedNaba posted:

I was gonna ask how one is able to afford constant narcotic intake whilst unemployed, but given the rate of benny bashing and crimenews-ing in this country I'm fairly certain I can guess the narrative.

Everyone who is "unemployed" and "homeless" in NZ is actually making about $50 an hour begging while paying no tax, getting free medical care with community services cards, and glam-camping by the seaside in areas they should be paying $8k a year in rates.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Everyone who is "unemployed" and "homeless" in NZ is actually making about $50 an hour begging while paying no tax, getting free medical care with community services cards, and glam-camping by the seaside in areas they should be paying $8k a year in rates.

Legitimately, what the gently caress do community service cards even do?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

El Pollo Blanco posted:

And the reason I don't do the same thing is because...

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Taitale posted:

It's been a while since I've been eligible for one but yeah they do give you substantially reduced rates for medical appointments, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Taitale posted:

No one knows any more because you can't get into a WINZ office without photo ID.

• Locked thread