Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Star Citizen: I see no red light on this project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:nallears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Can't wait for Suqrond 42

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: How work the gaming industry?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Red Bull Games: The staggering size of Star Citizen, visualised

Rich Wordsworth and Jon Partridge on 23 February 2017 posted:

The world is full of all sorts of people. Some are captivated by fine art; others find solace in music. Some rep Pac, while others back Biggie. Some people believe pineapple constitutes an acceptable pizza topping. Some – and by some, we mean many, many, many – have backed Star Citizen, Chris Roberts’ ambitious space exploration game.

Correspondingly, the universe must have room for even more people. Most of those people, by chance, like whizzing about in spaceships, swapping space whats-its and blowing each other up. But bobbing about in the vast void of the infinite, there are also people who like numbers.

“How big?” They cry, in wonder, as a new planet blinks into view. “How far?” They clamour, plotting course for an uncharted system. “How heavy?” They demand, as the gargantuan hulk of a space-freighter drifts silently past in the black. Which is a weird thing to ask about something in a weightless vacuum – but darn it, these people will have their answers!

It is in honour of these great quantifiers, these brave pioneers, that we present Red Bull’s very own Star Citizen infographic, summarising Cloud Imperium Games’ epic journey so far, upending not merely a video game genre, but an entire industry business model in the process.

For in a hostile universe alive with pirates, duplicitous human pilots and giant sand worms, are these placid few, boldly going out with their galactic tape measures and weighing scales, not the true heirs of Kirk, Picard, Janeway and the guy from Deep Space Nine?

Peaceful charters of the stars: We salute you.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think it would be easier to visualize as how far away you could see a 140m stack of Benjamins burn.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
:wow: 1,750,211 players have backed the game so far!

(anyone have a copy of Ortwin's response from StreetRoller's case handy?)

In other news, it was Star Citizen, right?
https://twitter.com/hotnews____/status/835993636194103298?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
:ohdear:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

nvmd they said game

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Boasting about size will always confuse me most. Especially when it compares disfavorably to the examples they use. I also note that doesn't compare the size of the world to ED or even EVE. Because 100 systems is pathetic for a space game, especially these days. Saying it'd take 2 days to visit all the systems doesn't compare well to the 190,258 years it'd take to visit the 100 billion systems in ED or the equivalent time it'd take to find something fun to do in EVE.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: Squandered $42,000,000 ... and counting

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Star Citizen: Squandered $42,000,000 ... and counting

Where'd the other 100mil go?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

better than anything produced by cig

more pups

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Thoatse posted:

Where'd the other 100mil go?

On vacation.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Did anyone post this yet because I just laughed for like 5 minutes

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

in the meantime we will have to console ourselves with new Zelda, Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Did anyone post this yet because I just laughed for like 5 minutes

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What's the best Earth-based flight simulator game?

There is only one ansver friendo

ACE COMBAT

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

alf_pogs posted:

in the meantime we will have to console ourselves with new Zelda, Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption

Went all out for BoTW..got the master edition and all the amiibos for it. Rip wallet.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Sandweed posted:

ACE COMBAT

Ah, the "miku" jet. Timeless.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What's the best Earth-based flight simulator game?

try DCS world. the base game with the SU-25T (ground-attack and anti-SAM plane, with basic systems simulation) and aerobatics version of the P51 (full systems simulation) is free . if you like it, consider buying the Flaming Cliffs package (2 ground attack planes and 3 fighter planes + variants with basic systems simulation) and the A-10C (full on sperg simulation) as your first upgrades.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Cat Knocks On Door at Machine Gun Rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOj_Kpbg9xU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

lol at the other two cattes just mouching off the efforts of the grey. Classy catte behavior.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, 1.7 million players. But need to reduce lobby count to 2 to fire up a game.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

quote:

Some rep Pac, while others back Biggie.

Whomever typed this into a computer, especially about a spaceship video game, should be put down.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sandweed posted:

ACE COMBAT

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's kind of funny, the only time SC streamers ever have viewers is when they put in big flashing letters "#GIVEAWAY!" in the title

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

!rafflle

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://kotaku.com/the-newly-discovered-trappist-1-star-system-was-hiding-1792747651

I seriously want some Citizen reactions on this, especially the ones who say how soooooo realistic Star Citizen was compared to ED.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://kotaku.com/the-newly-discovered-trappist-1-star-system-was-hiding-1792747651

I seriously want some Citizen reactions on this, especially the ones who say how soooooo realistic Star Citizen was compared to ED.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

e: cat:

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 27, 2017

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Star citizen is the most realistic game ever made.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hell is just a word. The reality is much worse.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nipplevent Horizon.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Where we're going, we don't need thighs to ski.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

Hell is just a word. The reality is much worse.

Star Citizen : The reality is much worse

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Gamespot: " Star Citizen Adds New Ship, As Funding Passes $144 Million - Say hello to the A4A Hurricane."

"You can buy the Hurricane right now for $160 and up as part of a 'limited concept sale.' What this means is that 'the ship design meets our specifications, but it is not yet ready to display in your Hangar, fight in Arena Commander, or fly in the Alpha.' "

"So basically you can't use it yet."

The comments section is a warzone

Quavers fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 27, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quavers posted:

Gamespot: " Star Citizen Adds New Ship, As Funding Passes $144 Million - Say hello to the A4A Hurricane."

"You can buy the Hurricane right now for $160 and up as part of a 'limited concept sale.' What this means is that 'the ship design meets our specifications, but it is not yet ready to display in your Hangar, fight in Arena Commander, or fly in the Alpha.' "

"So basically you can't use it yet."

The comments section is a warzone

From the comments:

quote:

people seem to ignore this little detail, almost on purpose. It's easier them to make fun of the epic project.

I've put exactly $60 into this game months ago, and now I get to play out the progress...And play on "day 1", not a bad deal.

Amazing, this person paid full price for an AAA game and he gets the added benefit of playing it on 'day 1' of release.

Why are other companies not doing this?... Oh wait.