Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if the robots and bosses are fun to fight i'm into it. the only part of newest tomb raider i really thought stood out was the fight against the dlc witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFJkQ9qXX0&hd=1

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

i can't comprehend how i could possibly care about this

e: however the switch is going to be great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Um, not according to Backwards Baseball Cap PC Gaming Asian Kid, it won't.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Now that I've beaten REVII, I can finally go on to Nioh.

I have a whopping week for it before the Switch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Now that I've beaten REVII, I can finally go on to Nioh.

I have a whopping week for it before the Switch.

im stuck on the final boss of SMTIV Apocalypse and i desperately want to clear it off the list since I just bought 3 ys games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the Teens React to old Nintendo Games. That made me feel super old

Edit: Holy poo poo, Nier: Automata is an open world game? I thought it was like Revengeance

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked the Teens React to old Nintendo Games. That made me feel super old

Edit: Holy poo poo, Nier: Automata is an open world game? I thought it was like Revengeance

Nier was aswell so I assumed it would kinda be like the original

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If Nier Automata is open world I am far less excited about it

Not exactly what I was expecting to get especially considering I've got the Horizon thing to satisfy open worldiness

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Nier was "open-world" but realistically you didn't really do any exploring or anything. There's not really anywhere to go that the main story doesn't already take you. This is also what I expect of Automata.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

If Nier Automata is open world I am far less excited about it

Not exactly what I was expecting to get especially considering I've got the Horizon thing to satisfy open worldiness

If it's anything like the previous Nier, "open world" doesn't really mean the same thing that it does in something like Horizon or Far Cry. It's likely more like a stand-in for the classic zoomed-out RPG world map than a big, detailed world with tons of icons to collect. Think more earlier 3D Zelda and less Assassin's Creed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its very different. neir has an open world the way ocarina of time does

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh fair enough then, that's what I get for assuming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

oh fair enough then, that's what I get for assuming

you will likely have to cross zones full of enemies with maybe a side quest or resource to collect along the way to get to a dungeon which will play like a revengeance mission (or who knows what cause its neir and they've already spoofed diablo, a text adventure, resident evil, etc playing with the theme of perspective in mechanics and story telling so the sequel could play like anything)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do people keep spelling it neir

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Help Im Alive posted:

Thier wierdos

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

lol if you're reading my posts

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WEll i finally did it: I actually finished an SMT game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

which ending allignment?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

which ending allignment?

It was apocalypse so Im not too sure. I chose to turn against dagda and destroy the egg and then kill YHVH

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I before E, except after N, right

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It was apocalypse so Im not too sure. I chose to turn against dagda and destroy the egg and then kill YHVH

that sounds cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

that sounds cool

It was probably the best JRPG Ive ever played. Well, mechanics/challenge wise, I probably still like some FF or DQ games more for charm and story. Im definitely going to play more SMT games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah i was sucked into IV so hard and it took me like 10 hours to get into dq8 as my next game after getting 50 hours of constant party changes and life or death decision making every fight

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
outside of Persona I have played like 10 SMT games and gotten about halfway through all of them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have never beaten any of the SMT games I've played outside of persona 2, and in the case of persona 2 I beat the first persona 2 and only got right up to the end of the second because there were issues preventing me from finishing it so I had to look up an LP for the ending.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

I probably still like some FF or DQ games more for ... story.

:monocle:

I think someone hijacked In Training's account.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I occasionally enjoy a story, but it has to be absolutely exceptional, like FF7.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've played Nocturne through at least twice, it's just really solid all around. Lots of good story stuff to think about while you wreck demons and fuse 'em.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

15 yo me was very sad when cid's space dreams were dashed

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

JRPGs always feel about ten hours too long, I often approach the penultimate or even the final dungeon and just lose interest.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A lot of jRPG final dungeons are excessively long or terrible which doesn't help a lot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hallow Bastion is pretty cool. It's like a Zelda dungeon.

Also Beast kicks rear end holy poo poo, but he's basically required to because Sora is nerfed when you first come here. Still though why can't all the other pals be this good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A lot of jRPG final dungeons are excessively long or terrible which doesn't help a lot.

FFX had a lot of flaws but it had a baller final dungeon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Apocalypse is like the poster child for this, that final dungeon comes completely out of left field and is just shockingly bad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FF4, 8, and 9 had pretty great final dungeons. 6's was pretty good too. 7's was one of the worst.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Nier is good, and also very anime. These things are probably related.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

Apocalypse is like the poster child for this, that final dungeon comes completely out of left field and is just shockingly bad.

I have to get around to playing those one of these days. Nocturne's final dungeon is kind of outrageous but it's perfectly in-line with the rest of the game, and they break it up with teleporters and shops periodically so it's not all that bad.

BoF2 might be the worst one I've ever played. The worst part is that there's not even really anything interesting going on with it, it just sucks and takes for god damned ever to slowly walk through.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FF9's final dungeon is good. FF7's is very bad. I really like FF6's final dungeon, just because the split-into-three-parties gimmick is used in a pretty clever way and the music is good as hell.

I honestly can't think of too many other memorable final dungeons. I really like Chrono Trigger's final dungeon but technically it's optional and you can just blow right past it to the final boss in like six different ways if you want to.

I really gotta play SMT: Apocalypse one of these days. I enjoyed IV a lot, though I agree with a lot of the criticism that the difficulty curve was completely out of whack. The early game is brutal and from the middle onward it's a cakewalk. And the dungeons are all kind of bland random encounter hallways, but at least those encounters are fun.

Speaking of JRPG dungeons, I was disappointed that Bravely Second didn't do much to improve on Bravely Default's amazingly boring dungeons. They're definitely more visually interesting but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Xenogears final dungeon was a big maze full of nearly identical rooms that took me 2 hours to get through and I hated every minute of it. FF7's 30-40 minute long thing was easy breezy by comparison and also had a neat song.

FF4's final dungeon was top tier, and may also have the hardest regular monster encounters for any FF game.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread