Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Food processors are a good general-use tool, but for any specific use there's probably something better (blender, food mill, mixer, spice grinder, etc.).

I use mine mostly for making pastes and dips (hummus, pesto, tapenade, non-chunky guac, etc.), and also to quickly shred potatoes for hash browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

No Wave posted:

I'm actually pretty surprised that you guys are responding this way. I don't use a food processor for anything except pie dough and use a VitaPrep for everything else.

Not everyone has a $500 blender? :shrug:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
A robot coupe can get things just as smooth as a Vitamix. But then we're talking about a $1300 food processor.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a $400 blender and I use my manual meat grinder more :xd:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
There is a step between Cuisinart and Robot-Coupe, and it's even built by Robot-Coupe: the Magimix. I have one, the 5200XL model with a few extra attachments. The blades are built by Sabatier, the motor and powertrain are built by Robot-Coupe (and have a 30 year warranty), and the body is strong, thick acrylic. The midi bowl is kind of an odd duck, only usable for slicing/grating disks, but the mini bowl is nice for small quantities of stuff and the big bowl is very big. I made bone meal with mine once. The body and blades are warrantied for 3 years, which isn't that long compared with the ludicrous 3 decade motor warranty, but still pretty reasonable.

I need to get more attachments for mine, though. They make all sorts of things - food mill, juicer, a bunch of disk sizes and shapes, so on and so forth.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there other small/cheap food processor recommendations? They don't sell Proctor here and Magimix and Cuisinart are all $500+ NZD. I've heard good things about Kenwood which are much cheaper.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a recommendation for a cheese shredder, something fairly inexpensive?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dalstrs posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheese shredder, something fairly inexpensive?
Microplane. One of the `professional' models will run you like US$15. You can probably find a lovely box grater for less so I don't know if that counts as `fairly inexpensive'. But that's what I'd get anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dalstrs posted:

I got an OXO Good Grips Two-Fold Grater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VLYQHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5bfRybDSR7FH6 and it stores nicely in a drawer. Also grates cheese pretty well (though I microplane hard cheeses like Parmesan). $13, has served me well for a year and a half of grating mozzarella for my kid's pasta.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

SubG posted:

Microplane. One of the `professional' models will run you like US$15. You can probably find a lovely box grater for less so I don't know if that counts as `fairly inexpensive'. But that's what I'd get anyway.

I have a microplane for hard cheeses. The inexpensive part was because I can get the kitchenaid mixer attachment that shreds for ~$45.

Subjunctive posted:

I got an OXO Good Grips Two-Fold Grater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VLYQHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_5bfRybDSR7FH6 and it stores nicely in a drawer. Also grates cheese pretty well (though I microplane hard cheeses like Parmesan). $13, has served me well for a year and a half of grating mozzarella for my kid's pasta.

Thanks, this is what I was looking at, the only whole milk mozzarella around here comes in blocks and I with my new baking steel I foresee a lot of pizzas in my future.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

dalstrs posted:

I have a microplane for hard cheeses. The inexpensive part was because I can get the kitchenaid mixer attachment that shreds for ~$45.

Thanks, this is what I was looking at, the only whole milk mozzarella around here comes in blocks and I with my new baking steel I foresee a lot of pizzas in my future.

You don't need to grate mozzarella for pizza. Just cut that up into rough 1/2 inch chunks and toss it on. It will melt to cover.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from the sous vizzle thred:

The instant pot folks have their own IC now. You can get it today for $80 with the code BIGTHANKS.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNKEMH...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You can get it today for $80 with the code BIGTHANKS.

That's a lie. You're a liar trying to trick people. (coupon expired at midnight)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

That's a lie. You're a liar trying to trick people. (coupon expired at midnight)

It was true yesterday. Need me to spot you the extra 9 dollars?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

I think to actually smoke something it's difficult to get around producing a lot of actual smoke

Yeah, I've never been entirely impressed with any of the work around methods. My buddy has an electric smoker and it works OK, but best results still come from smoking for a couple of hours in a proper smoker or modified grill, then transferring to the electric for the overnight.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

Yeah, I've never been entirely impressed with any of the work around methods. My buddy has an electric smoker and it works OK, but best results still come from smoking for a couple of hours in a proper smoker or modified grill, then transferring to the electric for the overnight.

What's the downside of an electric smoker, exactly? Isn't it just an electric method of producing the same smoke as any other method, just with no open flame?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The only thing that distinguishes bbq from an electric smoker vs other methods is that you won't have a smoke ring. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

glynnenstein posted:

The only thing that distinguishes bbq from an electric smoker vs other methods is that you won't have a smoke ring. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

Why wouldn't you get a smoke ring from an electric smoker?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It's caused by combustion gases. You can actually create it by pumping certain gases in with no actual smoke.

I hate to post this aticle becuase I can't stand how it's formatted but it goes over some of it. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neat. That I think also explain why my smoke ring seems so anemic with lump charcoal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So it's not really even a "smoke ring", it's more of a "combustion byproduct gases ring". Interesting.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

toss some nitrates in your rub and get 2x the red.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Prague Curing Whatever

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I want to get my sister a nice knife for her birthday so she can stop squeezing onions with her crappy ceramic piece and chop her fingers off. There's a million review sites and poo poo out there for kitchen equipment but I can't tell whats real and whats advertising. Is there something you guys recommend in the $100ish price range? Bonus if it comes with a sharpening steel and can doink enemies for 9999 damage.

Looking for a ~8inch chefs knife that will last a while

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Feral Integral posted:

I want to get my sister a nice knife for her birthday so she can stop squeezing onions with her crappy ceramic piece and chop her fingers off. There's a million review sites and poo poo out there for kitchen equipment but I can't tell whats real and whats advertising. Is there something you guys recommend in the $100ish price range? Bonus if it comes with a sharpening steel and can doink enemies for 9999 damage.

https://smile.amazon.com/Global-G-2-inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B00005OL44?sa-no-redirect=1

This Global knife is right at your price range and I absolutely love the thing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Feral Integral posted:

victorinox fibrox

check out the kitchen knife thread btw

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

What's the downside of an electric smoker, exactly? Isn't it just an electric method of producing the same smoke as any other method, just with no open flame?

I've just never encountered a good one I guess? I've never really found the end product to be as good as a charcoal or even a propane smoker, when it comes to flavor and especially bark.

If I had a good protected place to store it, I would absolutely buy one though as a finisher. Due to unexpected high-wind event I ended up having to finish my last butt in the oven after being on the smoker for maybe six-ish hours. The end product was just as good as the stuff I have done before totally done over charcoal, but obviously was an easier process. But the oven in my house runs off of propane, so I'm not super excited about leaving it running for hours and hours, in addition to the fact that it doesn't really like holding a low temperature very consistently.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feral Integral posted:

For $130 I would get this, it's a very, very good knife along with being pretty as hell. This one should last a lifetime in home usage, though just like any other knife it will need sharpening every once in a while. If you want something cheaper but not as good and much plainer looking grab a Tojiro DP off of amazon. If you want something at a more disposable price a victorinox fibrox is a good choice, though they have gone up in price so I say just get the Tojiro DP instead since it's a much better knife and not all that much more expensive.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hi all, I am a dumb baby and am new to cookware. I love my gas stove since I can use the shittiest, warped, cookware on it and it doesnt matter. I'll be switching to a glass top electric stove and can't use trash on it anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a whole set? I've been looking at Calphalon stuff but I want to be sure about what kind of materials are the best. Budget is under $500.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

um excuse me posted:

Hi all, I am a dumb baby and am new to cookware. I love my gas stove since I can use the shittiest, warped, cookware on it and it doesnt matter. I'll be switching to a glass top electric stove and can't use trash on it anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a whole set? I've been looking at Calphalon stuff but I want to be sure about what kind of materials are the best. Budget is under $500.

I like Tramontina stuff, here is a good set.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I like Tramontina stuff, here is a good set.

Tramontina is good, the Kirkland Signature (Costco) tri-ply is also very good for the price

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As far as I know, any POS tri-ply should work well. It's the great equalizer.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

All-Clad Master Chef (MC2) 10-piece set has been at deep discounts on Amazon recently. New is $230 today, used even cheaper.

Not sure if the brushed aluminum will scratch a glass range though. Sorry for your loss :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a (different) MC2 set, and although the outside is brushed, it feels very smooth to the touch. I have a gas stove, but I can't imagine the MC2 bottoms perceptibly scratching glass.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the key to enjoying a glass top is to not give a gently caress. If you're switching on a property you own quickly change your mind and don't make such a terrible decision.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

um excuse me posted:

Hi all, I am a dumb baby and am new to cookware. I love my gas stove since I can use the shittiest, warped, cookware on it and it doesnt matter. I'll be switching to a glass top electric stove and can't use trash on it anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation

don't switch to glass top electric when you have gas already what is wrong with you

e: yeah what subsan said

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

don't switch to glass top electric when you have gas already what is wrong with you

e: yeah what subsan said

To be fair though induction kicks all kinds of rear end and I would take it over gas any day, and is only available in glass-top

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is not a scenario where I am replacing the range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Family Photo posted:

Not sure if the brushed aluminum will scratch a glass range though. Sorry for your loss :(

Aluminum is a good bit softer than steel, and glass is way harder than both (which is why you should never, ever use a glass cutting board). It's much more likely to scratch from a grain of salt getting stuck between the pan and the range top than from the pan material.