Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

dentist toy box posted:

That Paul Tracy Uber diss is still the best thing ever.

https://youtu.be/riGTNfBBQyY

Marco involved in another incident, getting REKT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Marshall Pruett said on his podcast that there's an alleged 3rd engine mfg looking to jump in, and there will be a story about it next week.

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/835628048233840640

Unsure what he's meaning by this, but hmm.

My bet s Alfa Romeo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's British Leyland or Packard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Briggs and Stratton.

Or Cummins.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Briggs and Stratton.

Or Cummins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPa4vCYIB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmsLsZEcBzw

Or Offenhauser

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alex Jones their first team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E6dpxQzTZ0

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Geely or Great Wall Motors.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

Briggs and Stratton.

Woah woah woah, Briggs and Stratton? He said only on manufacturer was interested!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Lamborghini, based on a weird dream I had last night that had then joining the series due to some big US auto dealer.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Roger Rager's bringing the school bus engine out of retirement

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

(Real Talk? Someone hinted to me that it could be Dodge-FCA)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dsriggs posted:

Roger Rager's bringing the school bus engine out of retirement

God, how loving bloated would a DW12 need to be to fit a SBC in back?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

God, how loving bloated would a DW12 need to be to fit a SBC in back?

Huge. Also it would have massive aero problems. Coyne tried to use an Atmo 6.5L SBC in the mid-80s and the car couldn't break 140mph at Indy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/sho...l=1#post1294676

quote:

Phock Ryan HunTURDray .... that weasel didn't deserve that Rocket Sports ride in the first place!
Gentilozzi was a dolt for hiring him.
I hope in appeal that TURDboy never sees a penny of this cash, IRHell asshat!

Yeah RHR is the REAL villain here! Not the man who trashed him up and down the paddock so badly he was stuck giving driving lessons to millionaires in sports cars.

What in the gently caress is wrong with these nutjobs?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Yokels who want their enemies to "get theirs."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

(Real Talk? Someone hinted to me that it could be Dodge-FCA)

Dodge is loving awful.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.crapwagon.com/forums/sho...l=1#post1294676

Yeah RHR is the REAL villain here! Not the man who trashed him up and down the paddock so badly he was stuck giving driving lessons to millionaires in sports cars.

What in the gently caress is wrong with these nutjobs?
Racing fans are bad, Indy fans are worse. I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

indycar merged 9 years ago. tony george and his staff were removed from control of indycar 7 years ago. and CW is still goin'....

imagine being that lovely at living

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

indycar merged 9 years ago. tony george and his staff were removed from control of indycar 7 years ago. and CW is still goin'....

imagine being that lovely at living

Guys like Jacques Villeneueve, Paul Tracy, Juan Montoya, Alexander Rossi, Sebastian Bourdais and James Hinchcliffe who were critical of the IRL? All have raced there since then and have praised the series.

Juan came back and won. PT calls races. Rossi won the "500". Hinch is one of their posterboys and drives for an ex-IRL driver. Bourdais has said to me personally that while he liked Champcar? He's much more happier that both series are back together.

The guy who gave them their NICKNAME has repeatedly praised the series during their telecasts, in print, etc.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
gently caress, Hinchcliffe USED TO POST REGULARLY at Crapwagon & even HE moved on.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

gently caress, Hinchcliffe USED TO POST REGULARLY at Crapwagon & even HE moved on.

The lone reasoning any of these people have any more is pretty much this:

-The Hulman family still funds it thus it's bad. (Not like they ever funded or ran the thing before. Nope! 1955-1978 never happened)
-"DULLARAH IS A BAD CHASSIS. IT'S NOT LIKE PANOZ, LOLA OR REYNARD"

I mean I'm more of a fan of Panoz, Lola or Reynard as chassis's too...but Dallara isn't..horrible? I don't know. Like Super Formula, GP2/GP3 and pretty much every formula series on the planet uses them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-The Hulman family still funds it thus it's bad. (Not like they ever funded or ran the thing before. Nope! 1955-1978 never happened)

I mean I'm more of a fan of Panoz, Lola or Reynard as chassis's too...but Dallara isn't..horrible? I don't know. Like Super Formula, GP2/GP3 and pretty much every formula series on the planet uses them.

Dallara build's Haas' F1 car, too, and it's pretty solid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FuzzySkinner posted:

The DW12 is the poster child for everyone who rants constantly about how ugly Dallara's cars are, which has never made sense to me as someone who thinks the DW12 looks cool and unlike any other current open wheel car. But then I like the shark fins on the new F1 cars so maybe I don't get what people think a good looking car is.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There aren't many open-wheel cars around these days that legitimately look good. I have a hard time complaining about the DW12 specifically.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Nevermind that Reynard died in 2002, Lola died in 2012, and Penske stopped building his own cars after the PC-27B disaster in 1999. I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The DW12 is far from perfect, but I still think most of the hate for it comes from people who look at it and see the IR03 instead, and associate that car as being the one that was gaining ground in the IRL while Champ Car was dying. There's also the simple fact that Dallara has apparently figured out how to be a commercially viable racecar manufacturer, which is about as massive an oxymoron as I can think of.

I will say that all of the photos of DW12s in testing with the rear wheel pods removed give me a bit of James May's "fizz". :awesome:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think I'm the only IndyCar fan who likes the look of the rear bumpers. v:shobon:v

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The Deltawing was a Panoz project I believe.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nevermind that Reynard died in 2002, Lola died in 2012, and Penske stopped building his own cars after the PC-27B disaster in 1999. I can't even figure out what the gently caress Panoz is up to these days.

The DW12 is far from perfect, but I still think most of the hate for it comes from people who look at it and see the IR03 instead, and associate that car as being the one that was gaining ground in the IRL while Champ Car was dying. There's also the simple fact that Dallara has apparently figured out how to be a commercially viable racecar manufacturer, which is about as massive an oxymoron as I can think of.

I will say that all of the photos of DW12s in testing with the rear wheel pods removed give me a bit of James May's "fizz". :awesome:

Remove the airbox and remove the bumpers off the DW-12? It looks like a solid, traditional open wheel car IMO. (Indy Lights perhaps would be the example of this).

Panoz is co-owned by Chip IIRC. My stupid theory was that if there were to ever be two other chassis' in the sport? It'd be the Panoz (With Chip) and Swift (King Hiro/Honda) who'd be the ones joining Dallara. Adrian Reynard is still a thing even if his company isn't. I think I heard of him wanting to help come up with aerokits for the DW-12.

Of all old chassis companies? GALMER has a website. But i don't know if they still exist in any sort of capacity.

I think Robin Miller's criticism of Dallara per a video I saw was something about them "not being :911: and coming from Italy". But that criticism is dead because their American HQ is within walking distance of IMS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Panoz was owned by Don Panoz, hence the name. It was just a brand name of cars made by the consolidated Elan, Van Diemen, and G-Force groups. Together they were Elan Motorsports Technologies. The whole group was sold with Road Atlanta, Sebring, the ALMS assets, the racing schools, etc to NASCAR.

Ganassi helped fund the initial Delta Wing, but that's it. He bailed when Nissan and everyone else did I believe.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Penske actually reverted to being a semi-single car team in 1999. Some odd driver choices during the year too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Penske actually reverted to being a semi-single car team in 1999. Some odd driver choices during the year too.

Gonchi :smith:.

The two 2000-2001 era Penske Honda Reynards were actually streamlined and modified by Penske, so they were actually technically a hybrid.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Lola B99 they were using alongside the PC-27 was modified as well.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peanut President posted:

Dodge is loving awful.

there is no car company i respect less than chrysler. they are just astonishingly poo poo.

Cygni posted:

Panoz was owned by Don Panoz, hence the name. It was just a brand name of cars made by the consolidated Elan, Van Diemen, and G-Force groups. Together they were Elan Motorsports Technologies. The whole group was sold with Road Atlanta, Sebring, the ALMS assets, the racing schools, etc to NASCAR.

Ganassi helped fund the initial Delta Wing, but that's it. He bailed when Nissan and everyone else did I believe.

it's also worth noting that don panoz is a massive shitheel and he could kindly gently caress off and die.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

gret posted:

I think I'm the only IndyCar fan who likes the look of the rear bumpers. v:shobon:v

The rear bumpers look fine and anyone who wails about them is being a massive idiot.

"They look so ugggggllyyyyy!!!" Yeah, you know what else looks ugly? Indycars somersaulting into fences after front-rear-wheel contact. gently caress off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The rear bumpers look fine and anyone who wails about them is being a massive idiot.

"They look so ugggggllyyyyy!!!" Yeah, you know what else looks ugly? Indycars somersaulting into fences after front-rear-wheel contact. gently caress off.

I hold no negative feelings about the rear bumpers, but the cars still look way better without them. They also haven't been as successful as hoped in reducing over/underride wrecks.

Also loving :lol: at Galmer having a website.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also loving :lol: at Galmer having a website.

Hell I'm guessing the site was last updated in 1999 and laughing they were doing anything in 99 to want to have a website... well just about everyone wanted a website in 1999 come to think of it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Hell I'm guessing the site was last updated in 1999 and laughing they were doing anything in 99 to want to have a website... well just about everyone wanted a website in 1999 come to think of it.

http://www.galmerinc.com/

3-D Printing?

Was that when it was last updated, 99?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
disaster of a car or not I really liked the look of the PC-27

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Penske really did make pretty cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The PC27B is a great example of how having too many open options (chassis, engine, and tires) can leave even a perfectly capable team with completely uncompetitive garbage.

I honestly wonder which hurt Roger more, not qualifying for the '95 500 or that cluster gently caress of the whole '99 season.

• Locked thread