Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Guest2553 posted:

Oddly enough, today RUMINT indicatied that the military pay raise was all but confirmed and would be a buck twenty-five going back to 2013. The names attached to the source are credible but it was relayed through someone who isn't, so I guess all this is to say that no-one knows nothing.

I work in a place where the Os have single digit promotion rates a year. Senior officers travel in packs to avoid predatory captains who entertain thoughts about thinning the herd to create some extra line numbers.

That level of promotion common for us as well. I think they made 7 MSE and 10 or 11 CSE officers last year (Lt(N) -> LCdr). The reason the promotion is (almost) automatic is that HOD tours for naval Lt's are merit based; by the time you get selected for a HOD tour you are already near the top of the list. A year or two of HOD PER points will put you over the top.

As a result there are currently only two post HOD Lt(N) Engineers in the whole navy. Both represent a different cautionary tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LCdr. Jebus posted:

Both represent a different cautionary tale.

I love a good fuckup story, please share them if you can.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Guest2553 posted:

Oddly enough, today RUMINT indicatied that the military pay raise was all but confirmed and would be a buck twenty-five going back to 2013. The names attached to the source are credible but it was relayed through someone who isn't, so I guess all this is to say that no-one knows nothing.

Will confirm hearing same RUMINT.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

compressioncut posted:

Will confirm hearing same RUMINT.

What does this mean in dumb speak?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hizawk posted:

What does this mean in dumb speak?

SIGINT - SIGnals INTelligence
HUMINT - HUMan INTelligence
RUMINT - rumours and bullshit you hear over drinks at the mess

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Lassitude posted:

Also nursing officer. Anyone know any nursing officers? Good gig or no?

It seems like a good go. Although my only real experience with nursing officers is that we had one in the unit who was a complete waste. Earned herself a charge for almost shooting my Mcpl on a range weekend. She was an alright nurse tho.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Canuck-Errant posted:

SIGINT - SIGnals INTelligence
HUMINT - HUMan INTelligence
RUMINT - rumours and bullshit you hear over drinks at the mess

Nono, I meant the raise!

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Hizawk posted:

Nono, I meant the raise!

Last I heard officially (a couple weeks ago) is that the pay raise is confirmed, will be backdated 3 years. The exact amount and when it will be paid out is still TBD, but soon.

I'm just happy they're finally unfucking my trade's spec pay. Some people will be getting over 4 years backpay...

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Other than the field portion, how realistic is wearing contacts to BMQ?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SuperSix posted:

Bring glasses, because you really don't want to have contacts in when you do the gas hut. Otherwise, yeah, you could probably do with contacts.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

SuperSix posted:

If possible, laser eye surgery is the single greatest thing you can get.

Especially if you go combat arms.

Wearing glasses or those BEW inserts make you look like a giant dork with a helmet on too.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Also if you want gas mask inserts made, a guy I went through BMQ with ordered a pair in basic and he got them 4 months before his contract ended. Only took 'em 2 years 8 months to make 'em.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Bring glasses, because you really don't want to have contacts in when you do the gas hut. Otherwise, yeah, you could probably do with contacts.

Hizawk posted:

If possible, laser eye surgery is the single greatest thing you can get.

Especially if you go combat arms.

Wearing glasses or those BEW inserts make you look like a giant dork with a helmet on too.

Thanks guys, I'll bring glasses just in case. I've been on contacts for 5 years and a bit now, definitely more used to them.

Laser eye is definitely in my plans in the near future now that I'll have enough income for it. I have a huge head so not looking like a dork is already a lost cause :downs:

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Also if you want gas mask inserts made, a guy I went through BMQ with ordered a pair in basic and he got them 4 months before his contract ended. Only took 'em 2 years 8 months to make 'em.

Hahaha oh boy, duly noted.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Most Lasik places offer a discount for being in the military too, or at least did when I had mine done. Something to bring up during your consultation.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just want to vouch for Lasik as well. Had to get it done before they let me go overseas (which I had to pay for and didn't get a military discount) but it was still worth every penny.

Wearing contacts or glasses in the combat arms sucks balls.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm getting eye surgery Tuesday, all covered. Highly recommend glasses until you can get vision corrected.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Even if you have the inserts for your gas mask, there was always the question of what do to with your regular glasses when you're rushing to complete the immediate action drill. I always just tossed mine loose into my gas mask carrier but it wasn't exactly easy on them.

Another thumbs up for Lasik here.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I got LASIK over in Korea and it was worth every penny, all I get is some haloing at night.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The Lasik Thread in the ask/tell forum may be helpful for anyone considering Lasik/eye surgery personal experiences and questions can be answered here.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
lol totally missed a word or two when I swore in yesterday

good thing I'll never have to see any of the humans from that recruiting centre ever again :suicide:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No, it doesn't count now. You aren't really enrolled. Make sure to ask a lot of obvious, inconvenient questions in recruit training to make up for it. "Should we bring our rifles to PT" is a good one.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I knew a guy who swore up and down that since the oath accidentally omitted the Queen's heirs, he was technically released as soon as she died which would be any day now.

That was 10 years ago.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I legit don't remember what we did with rifles for PT during BMQ. Put them in a rack?

All I know is some idiot lost his scope within days of getting a rifle.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Locked up in the weapons lockers in the dorms. Or whatever you call the floors at saint jean

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Samu posted:

I legit don't remember what we did with rifles for PT during BMQ. Put them in a rack?

All I know is some idiot lost his scope within days of getting a rifle.

This is a super weird blank spot. I remember doing stuff with them, marches or jogs or the confidence course at Meaford, but yeah, wow, what'd we do with them when we were dicking around in greys.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sorry, "scope"?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Sorry, "scope"?

C79A2 Optical Sight, Master Corporal! :eek:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

ATTEMPTING FORNICATION WITH YOUR CHEMICAL RESPIRATOR!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

No, I mean what is it? We never got those, it was iron sights all the way. Just as well, all I ever saw in those drat things was eyelashes, but still.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
On the note of RCMP recruitment and pay:

Big bonuses for RCMP top brass as front-line Mounties go without pay hikes

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Yeah, but as a Mcpl (stupid occupational transfer invalidating my time served) with ten years in the forces I am making significantly less than an RCMP officer with only 2 years experience.

I reasoned basically RCMP recieve permanent danger pay and spec pay as part of their salary to account for some of the huge discrepancy between the Forces and RCMP.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I had a couple questions about the stoker/MarEng spec pay freeze. I know they're combining HTech, ETech, and MarEng into one trade, but can you still get Spec 2 pay in this trade? I can't find any info after 2014.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I had a couple questions about the stoker/MarEng spec pay freeze. I know they're combining HTech, ETech, and MarEng into one trade, but can you still get Spec 2 pay in this trade? I can't find any info after 2014.

I think your career manager would know.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm looking to apply. :v:

The recruiter said that it hasn't happened yet, for what that's worth.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm looking to apply. :v:

The recruiter said that it hasn't happened yet, for what that's worth.

You might end up on a course serial before they merge trades. I think they were sending artillery guys to Air Defense school until almost the end.

If the trades being merged received spec pay, I can't seem them taking it away.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

I think they were sending artillery guys to Air Defense school until almost the end.

Yes, and some not by choice! A guy I knew from before basic, was slotted on the DP1 before mine and when the course was about to start he was told he was now air defence and sat on PAT until at least after my DP1 finished.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Finally going to be OFP next week. That was a long 2 years. Hurray !!!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I hope y'all are as excited as I am to go out to Alberta for the annual camp-out thumb-up-buttathon!
No power? No water? No laundry? No meals? We've got all this and more covered!
Or maybe that's just 2 Circus.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm going in front of the discharge board soon, but am still unsure on the difference between extension and retention? I understand that I might be doing 6-18 months more than I expected, but does it mean anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

I hope y'all are as excited as I am to go out to Alberta for the annual camp-out thumb-up-buttathon!
No power? No water? No laundry? No meals? We've got all this and more covered!
Or maybe that's just 2 Circus.

Ughhhh are you going to Wainwright?

If I had gone there by choice it might have been pretty. gently caress Wainwright, biggest loving waste of time and money of my entire illustrious career.