Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'm having another issue with my LP. Basically, when I record my screen and game audio using Fraps, and use Virtual Audio Cable to run it through to Skype as well as sharing my screen over Skype to my co-commentator, the game audio recorded is fuzzy and distorted. Is this an issue with Fraps and memory and I need to buy a better PC, or could it be from a poor setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey everyone, I am having an audio desync problem that is driving me a little crazy. I have videos from two separate recording sessions, but both recorded with the same utilities under the same circumstances. However, while videos from the first session are fine, the videos from the second session all exhibit gradual audio desync. When I open the videos themselves in VLC, they play fine and with no desync. When I import them into an Avisynth script and open it in VirtualDub, the desync appears. The video length appears the same as the source video file, and the audio gets "longer". Again, this is only happening to one set of videos. Anything I do to compare videos from the different sessions seems to show their attributes are the same, so I have no idea why this is happening.

The code I'm using to import the files is:
code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ffms2.dll")
Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\FFMS2.avsi")

source1=FFMpegSource2("E:\MEC\Videos\MEC-02-1.mp4", vtrack=-1, atrack=-1, fpsnum=60)
Any ideas?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Olive Branch posted:

I'm having another issue with my LP. Basically, when I record my screen and game audio using Fraps, and use Virtual Audio Cable to run it through to Skype as well as sharing my screen over Skype to my co-commentator, the game audio recorded is fuzzy and distorted. Is this an issue with Fraps and memory and I need to buy a better PC, or could it be from a poor setup?

It's probably an issue with VAC - it's probably downsampling something somewhere. See if there are quality settings somewhere. I'm not sure what "fuzzy" means but check to see if a repeater is set to something silly like 11025Hz.

Are you recording with ShadowPlay? Even if you aren't, because it works in VLC, this solution may help. Basically there's a known issue with some FFMS builds that cause it to desync audio from the video with certain MP4s - such as the ones ShadowPlay generates.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Xenoveritas posted:

Are you recording with ShadowPlay? Even if you aren't, because it works in VLC, this solution may help. Basically there's a known issue with some FFMS builds that cause it to desync audio from the video with certain MP4s - such as the ones ShadowPlay generates.

I am recording with ShadowPlay and that was probably the issue since your suggestion seems to have fixed the problem (once I figured out how to use that drat thing). It's weird that one set of videos had the problem and the other didn't. Maybe there was a driver update I forgot about. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Olive Branch posted:

If you look at the VAC device manager which should list the number of virtual audio devices iirc it should give you some kind of indicator of whether or not any of them are lagging, and there is a button you can hit to restart all devices which usually fixes things but it might be that they're lagging behind whenever there isn't enough cpu power available.

Try recording with another program and see if it persists, fraps is notoriously cpu hungry.

Xenoveritas posted:

It's probably an issue with VAC - it's probably downsampling something somewhere. See if there are quality settings somewhere. I'm not sure what "fuzzy" means but check to see if a repeater is set to something silly like 11025Hz.

I don't remember 100% but I think that would be a virtual audio device setting rather than a repeater option.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So uh...does anyone happen to know how to search for the best internet service providers for Newcastle, California? I still wish to stream this thing if at all possible; it's just clear that AT&T isn't gonna cut it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Fionordequester posted:

So uh...does anyone happen to know how to search for the best internet service providers for Newcastle, California? I still wish to stream this thing if at all possible; it's just clear that AT&T isn't gonna cut it.

Maybe speedtest.net or DSLReports

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, neither of those helped, inspite of my best efforts; so I'm doing it another way. I just uploaded the video, and plan on having me and my commentators commentate on it. Speaking of which...

https://youtu.be/k6vHKpC90sc

Is it just me, or is the video slightly blurry, even on the highest setting? Like, it looks fine at first glance, but...it's like there's some subtle imperfections with it that's hard to explain. Is it artifacting of some sort?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It looks ok to me, post some screencaps of what you think is wrong with it.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

It's hard to tell; it's as though the colors in this screenshot are more vibrant, clearer to the eye, and/or have less artifacting compared to Youtube. It really could just be my imagination though.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 27, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Take a screenshot of the YouTube video, blow 'em both up huge, and do the comparison that way. :shrug:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Take a screenshot of the YouTube video, blow 'em both up huge, and do the comparison that way. :shrug:

Heh; well, I'm not gonna do anything if none of you see anything wrong. Like I said; it could've just been my imagination.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Because of the way video compression works, it's always going to be less clear than a screenshot. Yes, there will be artifacting. You know how you shouldn't use JPEG for pixel art? Well, guess what: video compression is effectively JPEG. (Sort of. They use similar techniques. The bottom line is that it's lossy and targeted for, well, actual video, and not video games.)

I didn't see anything that looked too bad looking at it. It looked slightly blurry, but that's because I was watching a 720p video blown up onto a 1080p screen: it's going to look blurry because it has to scale it up.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Because of the way video compression works, it's always going to be less clear than a screenshot. Yes, there will be artifacting. You know how you shouldn't use JPEG for pixel art? Well, guess what: video compression is effectively JPEG. (Sort of. They use similar techniques. The bottom line is that it's lossy and targeted for, well, actual video, and not video games.)

I didn't see anything that looked too bad looking at it. It looked slightly blurry, but that's because I was watching a 720p video blown up onto a 1080p screen: it's going to look blurry because it has to scale it up.

Darn. How unfortunate. Ah well! As long as I've done all I can do!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry if this has been brought up before, there's something odd going on with lparchive, https, and www resolution. In the latest ace combat thread, Nine Gear Crow posted a link to a previous lp on the archive:
(his thread)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811411
(the link)
http://www.lparchive.org/ace-combat-zero-the-belkan-war/

However, following that link results in a security warning, saying your connection is not private. I think what's happening is that the link is automatically getting https'd, but the lparchive doesn't know what to do with a https https://www. link (htaccess?), or the cert doesn't apply to www subdomain. Removing the www resolves the problem.

As an aside, even after removing the www there's still a mixed content warning for these two guys:

quote:

Mixed Content: The page at 'https://lparchive.org/Ace-Combat-Zero-The-Belkan-War/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://i.imgur.com/S5P97Jx.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

(index):256 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://lparchive.org/Ace-Combat-Zero-The-Belkan-War/' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://i.imgur.com/zNCgCzt.png'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

Which is obviously No Big Deal but I thought I'd mention it since I was Fiddlering the connection anyway.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
lparchive sets a flag that tells your browser to always access it, and any sub-domains, through HTTPS. The https://www.lparchive.org domain has a certificate for reader.baldurk.org, which causes the security issue. Because HSTS is enabled, and the browser has "previously" had a successful request, it generates the warning you're seeing. The lparchive.org certificate appears only to cover lparchive.org and not any subdomains, so using that certificate won't work.

The "correct" solution is to have Nine Gear Crow remove the "www." part from the links.

However, baldurk could also probably help the issue a bit by configuring lparchive.org's HSTS not to include subdomains, unless there are valid lparchive.org subdomains it should be covering.

niceguy64
Oct 4, 2012

I hate being wrong,
but I love it when
I'm set straight.
Hey guys I'm working on a live stream of a Pathfinder role playing game session using multiple cameras simultaneously. We want to be able to capture the miniatures on the table and all eight players at the table at the same time.

For video I have:

2 Sony HD studio quality cameras with shotgun microphones.

1 GoPro that doesn't want to stream via wifi for some reason.

2 Logitech webcams

For hardware I have:

My badass pc with a Nvidia 1080 graphics, card quad core i7 processors, an 4 terabites of memory between an hdd and ssd.

1 old busted rear end hp laptop.

1 older model mac desktop.

*2 Elgato HD capture cards

*1 Elgato HD60 capture card

And more cables than you can shake a stick at.

Software:

OBS

Elgato "stream command"

All relevant hardware drivers are installed for Elgato and Logitech

*(I found out you can't simultaneously stream from multiple Elgatos, due to the driver, only AFTER I bought the things because I'm a tremendous idiot.)

The problem is that I need to find a work around for the Elgato driver problem using what I have here so I can hook up at least 2 of the three simultaneously. Is there a way to mess with the drivers to make two different models play nice at the same time? Can I hook up my laptop and daisy chain it to my desktop in some way to make this work? Bluetooth?

basically my plan is to make something that looks as good as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-p9lWIhcLQ as cheaply as possible

I'm trying to find a way to make this work without buying a different brand capture card before this Saturday.

Thanks y'all.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Are you trying to live stream this or do it in post?

Because the Elgato does the encoding on itself, meaning even a relatively old computer should be able to handle recording with it. So if you have to hook the Elgatos up to multiple machines and record each one individually, that should work. I'm assuming that by "Elgato card" you really mean the USB-based Elgatos, as Elgato does make an internal capture card. (It's called the Elgato HD60 Pro.) Keep in mind you still need space for the video, which will depend on the encoding settings you give.

If you want to live stream it, I can't really think of a solution. Well, maybe one: you could try running a VM on your PC and see if you can assign one of the Elgato's directly to the VM, and then attempt to use the VM as a video source. I have no idea if that would work or even how you'd set it up, but, ...well... could work. Maybe.

niceguy64
Oct 4, 2012

I hate being wrong,
but I love it when
I'm set straight.

Xenoveritas posted:

Are you trying to live stream this or do it in post?

I am doing this all live via twitch and youtube. With multiple cameras running all at once through some kind of capture.

Xenoveritas posted:

If you want to live stream it, I can't really think of a solution. Well, maybe one: you could try running a VM on your PC and see if you can assign one of the Elgato's directly to the VM, and then attempt to use the VM as a video source. I have no idea if that would work or even how you'd set it up, but, ...well... could work. Maybe.

I tried just connecting the two cameras through the Elgato(card in a box with hdmi and usb ports thing but not technically an internal card)s but there is some known issue with the Elgato driver that won't allow the two cards separately running to be recognized by OBS or the Elgato software.

What is VM? I didn't see reference to it in OP or wiki?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Virtual Machine. If you don't know what that is, don't attempt it, because you're either going to need to install Windows inside of one or attempt to figure out how to get the Elgato to work with Linux.

niceguy64
Oct 4, 2012

I hate being wrong,
but I love it when
I'm set straight.

Xenoveritas posted:

Virtual Machine. If you don't know what that is, don't attempt it, because you're either going to need to install Windows inside of one or attempt to figure out how to get the Elgato to work with Linux.

I have a raspberry pi lying around collecting dust, but this sort of thing is probably above my head. I've seen virtual machines being used, and I don't know linux from lemons. I'm sure my rig could handle it, but I'd die of an aneurysm.

I am looking at plugging one into my laptop and screen sharing to capture but I fear there will be latency.

niceguy64 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 2, 2017

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
There's going to be latency anyway, the Elgato has about 3-5 seconds of latency between what's happening and the PC. (This is due to the way it works and is unavoidable.)

The problem is that you're likely going to be adding on to that latency with screen sharing. But I suppose conceptually you could have the laptop set up to stream straight to the PC and set it up that way. Again, it should - in theory - work, possibly with a somewhat minimum amount of latency beyond what the Elgato naturally has.

It's worth a shot, at the very least.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
There is another driver you can use which apparently supports up to 4 devices, but I think was supposed to be for using multiple HD60 Pros rather than mix and matching.

From reddit:

https://edge.elgato.com/egc/windows/drivers/hd60-pro/Game_Capture_HD60_Pro_3PS_1.1.1.166.exe

What is it about the setup you have that warrants using elgatos in the first place? Do certain cameras not show up as sources for OBS otherwise?

niceguy64
Oct 4, 2012

I hate being wrong,
but I love it when
I'm set straight.

lohli posted:

What is it about the setup you have that warrants using elgatos in the first place? Do certain cameras not show up as sources for OBS otherwise?

The main reason is that they are what I have and they are out of their boxes and beyond the return window. I bought them used so...

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It sounds like trying to include them is needlessly complicating things.

Surely you can just connect all your cameras via USB and have OBS happily recognise them as sources and get the end result you want?

I understand not wanting it to seem like you've wasted the money on them, but the only reason to use them is if you wanted to capture the output from something like a console or another computer, like if you had a map or a chat window you wanted displayed that was running on a separate machine.

Having bought them as a "maybe I will need these" thing was a good idea but now they seem surplus to requirement, you should probably resell them if the project isn't going to involve using them and you don't see yourself needing to capture another computer or console further down the line.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Unless they're explicitly webcams, it's unlikely that you can stream video from them over USB. Generally HD video cameras (that is, cameras that are sold as hand-held HD cameras that do recording and not sold as webcams) have an HDMI out, but can't do video over USB.

(Side note: You may remember I mentioned that the Elgato adds several seconds of lag. There's a reason for that. The Elgato is a USB 2.0 device and USB 2.0 doesn't have enough bandwidth to send uncompressed HD video, so the Elgato compresses it first. However, in order to achieve better compression, it buffers frames so it can use both look-ahead and look-behind to get the best quality compression possible. Low latency H.264 encoding can't do this, because it needs to pump out frames as fast as it receives them. Low latency H.264 is used by things like webcams and the Wii U to talk to the Wii U gamepad. Digital cameras usually go with the "quality over low latency" trade-off, preferring to take higher quality video rather than low latency video. Webcams, because the entire point is to stream video in real-time, instead go with a "low latency over quality" trade-off. This means that cameras designed for recording video to storage tend not to be designed to be able to stream over USB: the design trade-offs are different.)

niceguy64
Oct 4, 2012

I hate being wrong,
but I love it when
I'm set straight.
Yeah these cameras won't stream over USB so a capture solution is necessary. It seems like I'm going to have to drag my happy rear end down to micrometer tomorrow morning. That will put us over budget for this project but I can't find a suitable work around.

P.S. Getting a screen share program that runs without dropping frames would cost money so I might as well get a Hauppauge or 2 and do this the right way.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what's the best way to batch-resize and crop screenshots? I'm planning an LP of a DS game, and I want to both resize all of the screenshots I've taken to 200% and crop out one screen from most of the images - on most, it will be the top screen. It would be easy, if time-consuming, to do this one at a time in GIMP, but I'd prefer to automate it if possible. The folder for the first update alone has over 400 shots in it, although probably more than 2/3 will end up being transcribed or otherwise cut.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but what's the best way to batch-resize and crop screenshots? I'm planning an LP of a DS game, and I want to both resize all of the screenshots I've taken to 200% and crop out one screen from most of the images - on most, it will be the top screen. It would be easy, if time-consuming, to do this one at a time in GIMP, but I'd prefer to automate it if possible. The folder for the first update alone has over 400 shots in it, although probably more than 2/3 will end up being transcribed or otherwise cut.

IrfanView has a quite good batch conversion feature that also allows you to process the images.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Commander Keene posted:

I use imagebatch. You can crop, resize, rotate, and a bunch of other functions I never use. It's a pretty easy program and free.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I use ImageMagick, which is a free commandline utility for modifying images. So if your workflow involves any programming then it might be worth looking at.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm going to be doing another LP or two in the near future but I haven't done any in at least a few years.

last time I made an LP the workflow was record with fraps, edit in avisynth, and use megui to encode and mux it and audacity for audio.

Are there any better workflows, programs, tools, available now that weren't available awhile ago? I used premier for one LP and it was so amazingly nice to edit in a way that wasn't basically programming a script but I can't afford the subscription atm.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try out OBS Studio to capture the video instead of Fraps, otherwise you're probably fine with your old tools.

(Well, upgrade your encoders and any Avisynth plugins you were using, but apart from that that chain sounds sensible.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I use imagebatch. You can crop, resize, rotate, and a bunch of other functions I never use. It's a pretty easy program and free.
Thanks for this. It's super useful, and along with Irfanview's batch renaming, should eliminate very nearly half the work of editing the screenshots.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Xenoveritas posted:

lparchive sets a flag that tells your browser to always access it, and any sub-domains, through HTTPS. The https://www.lparchive.org domain has a certificate for reader.baldurk.org, which causes the security issue. Because HSTS is enabled, and the browser has "previously" had a successful request, it generates the warning you're seeing. The lparchive.org certificate appears only to cover lparchive.org and not any subdomains, so using that certificate won't work.

The "correct" solution is to have Nine Gear Crow remove the "www." part from the links.

However, baldurk could also probably help the issue a bit by configuring lparchive.org's HSTS not to include subdomains, unless there are valid lparchive.org subdomains it should be covering.

Right I'll just set up a cert for www, the free certs I get from my hosting are unfortunately not wildcard so I need to fetch and create one each.

I have no idea why anyone is linking to https://www.lparchive.org though (or https://www.lpix.org which has the same issue). It has always just redirected to the equivalent url on non-www, and nothing internal should ever be linking to https://www.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Updated to the latest version of ShareX, and now I can't drag-and-drop upload anymore. Anyone else run into this / know a fix?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ProfessorProf posted:

Updated to the latest version of ShareX, and now I can't drag-and-drop upload anymore. Anyone else run into this / know a fix?

It did that for me the day I updated it and then randomly worked again a few days later.

Otherwise there's a button that gives you options on what to upload, so you can use that until drag & drop decides to work again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Has anyone tried capture via Razer Ripsaw? It seems to support older console video inputs, looks neat, and around here it's just as expensive as all other options, apart from an even pricier Elgato.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone tried capture via Razer Ripsaw? It seems to support older console video inputs, looks neat, and around here it's just as expensive as all other options, apart from an even pricier Elgato.

I've been using once since I can't stand Elgato's god awful software. Works well with HDMI, but I've had troubles with some interlaced footage. Make sure you have a USB 3.0 port available for it however, as it will not support 2.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
So I bought and Elgato HD60 to stream games via OBS, and the only issue I have is that I have no undelayed audio source from the PS4 now since I'm piping everything through the PC. Is there even a workaround for this? I've been searching for hours and can't find any help.