Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
IMO it's a bad approach to create a list of characteristics you want in a game and try to find something that exactly matches your specifications. Just play and watch matches from a bunch of games and keep playing the ones you like.

It's like people who go "well I played Xianghua in Soul Calibur 2, which character in Injustice will most closely match that experience?" You are much better just trying all the characters and playing the one you like. Break out of your comfort zone a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a fighting game that doesn't revolve around long combo's, but instead reading and playing around your character's strength. No infinite combo's is a huge + for me, and it has to be for PC. My personal Favorite that's not on PC is Smash 4 which doesn't have dumb technical glitch abuse, requires very good reads and play, and most of the combo's are like 3 or 4 hits long at most, while being super risky to pull of, allowing most of the game to take place in the neutral zone.

My favorite kind of fighter, is Rosalina and Luma in Smash, and Ice Climbers in Melee. I like puppet master / zoning / dual control characters where I use weird movement and hitboxes to confuse the opponent, so that's a 2nd wish list.

Do you guys know any games like that?

Battle Fantasia or Blade Arcus.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
The game you want does not exist.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Turtlicious posted:

I guess I"m not explaining myself well, sorry about that.

curiously, can you actually name off the top of your head more than 2 games that actually have true infinite combos (100-0 and you lose the round) other than smash 4

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Zand posted:

every time someone who doesnt play fgs describes the fg they want to play it usually turns out that they dont actually want to play fighting games

This is what's happening, yes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zand posted:

curiously, can you actually name off the top of your head more than 2 games that actually have true infinite combos (100-0 and you lose the round) other than smash 4

Smash 4 doesn't have it, but brawl does.

For Honor does with the Warden Currently.

and Blade & Soul

Trykt posted:

This is what's happening, yes.

I'm actually instead getting the feeling fighting games are really deep, and I should try a bevvy of them to see what I like about them, or if I like them.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Based on what you've already said it really seems like this is my best possible suggestion for you: http://store.steampowered.com/app/291550/

If you really want to go the route of "A Study In Fighting Games" you should definitely play a lot of ST first (I would recommend this even if it wasn't 100% free, but it is, so definitely do this). If you want to try something more modern and have access to Windows 10/Xbox One I would recommend Killer Instinct since that game has an incredibly useful combo-assist system to ease you into it and also has the combo breaker mechanics which allow you to still "play" even while being hit 117 times. It also has the benefit of being really well-made/balanced and has a pretty sensible f2p model, you could get away with spending only 5 or 10 bucks ever if you know what character you want to run with out of the gate.

P.S. The Warden poo poo you're talking about in FH isn't a true infinite and he's not anywhere near broken, please stop talking about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't know any Smash game had true infinites, that's neat. Paging Smash outreach guru Reiley to the thread to possibly explain, I'm curious how they work with smash's movement and DI

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

and Blade & Soul

I'm actually instead getting the feeling fighting games are really deep, and I should try a bevvy of them to see what I like about them, or if I like them.

ST is basically the ur-fighting game. if you get absolutely nothing out of it, fighting games are not for you. if you like it with caveats, post those caveats and we'll be able to find something a little more specifically suited to your tastes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

There really aren't any Infinites in Smash 4. There's some training room footstool reset combos but the combination of DI (where you hold a direction to influence your knockback trajectory), SDI (where you mash between three points on the analog stick to wriggle out of multihits), knockback growth and lack of invisible walls make it hard to continuously lock someone in a cycle until they die. If you make a series of incorrect choices on the defense you can get set up into a disgusting spike and killed really early, but that's more bad luck and poor choices than anything outside your control.

There is one tech that comes close to being an infinite, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZwyf5oztjs

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I didn't know any Smash game had true infinites, that's neat. Paging Smash outreach guru Reiley to the thread to possibly explain, I'm curious how they work with smash's movement and DI

You could specifically do this with Ice Climbers, and it was based on something called "Wobbling" you do a grab with Popo (the "main" ice climber) you could then force a desynch between him and nana, so you pummel with Popo, while you have Nana jump and down tilt, spiking your enemy, then you can grab them again with Popo before they can recover. You can actually do a ton of throw chains with the Ice Climbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juS9dgfNKxw&t=49s

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Play Gundam EXVS

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Turtlicious posted:

You could specifically do this with Ice Climbers, and it was based on something called "Wobbling" you do a grab with Popo (the "main" ice climber) you could then force a desynch between him and nana, so you pummel with Popo, while you have Nana jump and down tilt, spiking your enemy, then you can grab them again with Popo before they can recover. You can actually do a ton of throw chains with the Ice Climbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juS9dgfNKxw&t=49s

wobbling is the best part of melee

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
making the do a shitload of damage grab dude be a technical thing is seriously the best way of making grapplers not very frustrating to fight against btw

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I don't see how things like infinites, long chain combos, etc. are really going to matter. You aren't going to get to that level where you'd even have to worry of achieving those things in a while. And if you stick with the game that long you will have no problem learning them. What makes "getting good" at fighting games difficult isn't learning combos, resets, and infinites, but crafting your playstyle, learning match ups, and improving your reads. Again, just go into fightcade and try out Street Fighter 2, Third Strike, King of Fighters, Marvel vs Capcom, and Samurai Shodown V: Special for a few days, then go from there.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo forget all that bullshit I said, I just played 20+ games of Street FIghter 2, and I loving love it.

I won twice even!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Yo forget all that bullshit I said, I just played 20+ games of Street FIghter 2, and I loving love it.

I won twice even!

Welcome

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

In Training posted:

Melee Icies and Brawl Icies actually had two distinct infinites off their grabs. In Melee, you couldn't mash out of a grab if you were in hitstun so you could jab with Nana and pummel with Popo to keep them in hitstun forever. In Brawl it was just a chain grab, which a lot of characters had (most other characters could only chaingrab until the edge of the stage though). Theirs was the best though since you can grab with both of them, and unlike in 4, you're not grab invuln for awhile after getting grabbed. So you could throw with Popo, grab with Nana, throw with Nana, grab with Popo ad infinitum.

The chaingrab features heavily in my favorite Brawl set of all time. It features at least ten minutes of both players pressing no buttons, mais c'est Brawl, c'est magnifique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZuW9jsaczg&t=477s

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

and Blade & Soul

The Warden doesn't have an infinite combo.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Remember when we didn't talk about Smash in fighting game threads.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Trykt posted:

If you really want to go the route of "A Study In Fighting Games" you should definitely play a lot of ST first (I would recommend this even if it wasn't 100% free, but it is, so definitely do this). If you want to try something more modern and have access to Windows 10/Xbox One I would recommend Killer Instinct since that game has an incredibly useful combo-assist system to ease you into it and also has the combo breaker mechanics which allow you to still "play" even while being hit 117 times. It also has the benefit of being really well-made/balanced and has a pretty sensible f2p model, you could get away with spending only 5 or 10 bucks ever if you know what character you want to run with out of the gate.

I thought I was the only person here that actually praises KI. It actually is the game I recommend to folks interested in the genre now since you can get some SF style footsies along with some anime-like chain comboing/character gimmicks. It's a good time.

It's like SF5 but the v-trigger and defense mechanics are actually fun

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Remember when we didn't talk about Smash in fighting game threads.

Get with the times old man

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Pomp posted:

i doubt that for honor has infinite combos in it

It's not an infinite, just a vortex that feels like one if you don't know how to deal with it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Double Bill posted:

It's not an infinite, just a vortex that feels like one if you don't know how to deal with it

Reading about it makes it sound like an incredibly punishing vortex and overly safe, especially since it seems like the Warden is the most powerful character anyway.

And technically nothing in that game could be infinite since you have stamina limiting your combo length :haw:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I'd recommend watching some World Heroes Perfect stuff from Japan if you ever want to see what a game about multiple characters competing to execute infinites on each other looks like. The requisite Judo girl has one off of crouching medium punch that's pretty amazing:
https://youtu.be/VJfSsDdgF7Y?t=57

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a fighting game that doesn't revolve around long combo's, but instead reading and playing around your character's strength. No infinite combo's is a huge + for me, and it has to be for PC. My personal Favorite that's not on PC is Smash 4 which doesn't have dumb technical glitch abuse, requires very good reads and play, and most of the combo's are like 3 or 4 hits long at most, while being super risky to pull of, allowing most of the game to take place in the neutral zone.

My favorite kind of fighter, is Rosalina and Luma in Smash, and Ice Climbers in Melee. I like puppet master / zoning / dual control characters where I use weird movement and hitboxes to confuse the opponent, so that's a 2nd wish list.

Do you guys know any games like that?

Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is f2p on Steam.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Turtlicious posted:

Holy poo poo, I did not realize there were so many options, how do I pick?!

Ok 2 options actually, Poe's Law is not actually a game, and I don't know what ST. stands for.

I really like For Honor, but Warden's are just abusing the infinite combo, and I'm not really enjoying it when you just face like 18 - 19 wardens and 2 or 3 of the other characters.

Smashplayers.txt

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Zand posted:

SF2: Championship edition
KOF 13
Xrd (if you play Chipp)
Hokuto no Ken
MvC3 (Firebrand kills your whole team)

I'm sure there's more

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hokuto no Ken is never 100-0 because the timer always expires long before the loser's health is empty

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mango sentinel posted:

Reading about it makes it sound like an incredibly punishing vortex and overly safe, especially since it seems like the Warden is the most powerful character anyway.

And technically nothing in that game could be infinite since you have stamina limiting your combo length :haw:

Again, I heard something about an infinite KD loop for a class on revenge, but I can't source it and that would be like an XF3 infinite so who cares.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Xrd (if you play Chipp)

Uhhhhhh

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

He's probably referencing how some characters have some high RISC and high resource combos that kill Chipp from full life.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
A major tournament was almost won by Lucario last night, Smash 4 continues to grow and evolve in amazing ways

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

He's probably referencing how some characters have some high RISC and high resource combos that kill Chipp from full life.

That's not what an infinite is though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It might as well be, given the end result

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

True but Zand's initial question also contained the caveat of "100-0 in a single combo" in parentheses. They're two different things but the dumb impractical combos against Chipp fit that second criteria.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I like to think he meant the timer and not life total.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game you want is always, always melty blood

https://zippy.gfycat.com/MenacingClutteredAztecant.webm

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The original under night where every combo lasted the entire round. one of the best players was called like "time outter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Hisoutensoku is fun and also on PC.