Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

b-minus1 posted:

This was scripted. Now everyone will be talking about this all week, people are going to watch the video on YouTube, etc. this was planned.

WARREN BEATTY IS A CRISIS ACTOR, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Actually Leonardo DiCaprio loving with the Oscars is my new favorite conspiracy theory.

"here's for not recognizing my genius until I literally froze myself and ate wild animals"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lurdiak posted:

WARREN BEATTY IS A CRISIS ACTOR, WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

I trust Daniel Skywalker-Fiore to speak the truth!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://twitter.com/AP_Images/status/836086280312221698/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I want this to be the background image of the forum

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Emma Stone just said she had her envelop the entire time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

having a nice chuckle at a catastrophic fuckup. seems chill about it

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He's probably higher than the international space station

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.

Waltzing Along posted:

How did Zootopia win? It was the worst of the bunch. Bizarre. It was actually surprising that it was nominated.

I agree, the Oscars have been renowned for picking deserving winners throughout history, so this was a surprise.

But really, this particular award will always be won by a major american studio if they made a non-sequel movie, so turtle and zucchini never had a prayer. Kubo winning was the best possible outcome, but Zootopia's unsubtle pro-diversity message was just too on-point for this year's political zeitgeist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Grey posted:

So then what the gently caress happened?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Gosling is giggling pretty hard, maybe he switched them as a goof.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Grey posted:

alex jones just got new material for weeks

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This is like the one year they didn't do some stupid Pricewaterhouse Cooper's gag with an accountant handcuffed to a briefcase of results or some poo poo.

Maybe they got mad and torpedoed it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we all know that somehow Matt Damon is responsible for this.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Imagine the thoughts going through the heads of the two people with the briefcases as Dunaway announces the wrong movie. They have the winners memorized, do you think they're just kinda going through the motions and then they hear something that sounds wrong and go into emergency "someone done hosed up" mode?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Raxivace posted:

I think we all know that somehow Matt Damon is responsible for this.

we are going to get so many Matt Damon jokes on Kimmel this week.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Imagine the thoughts going through the heads of the two people with the briefcases as Dunaway announces the wrong movie. They have the winners memorized, do you think they're just kinda going through the motions and then they hear something that sounds wrong and go into emergency "someone done hosed up" mode?

I'd imagine they have a rep in the control room going "Oh gently caress you guys"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

J33uk posted:

I'd imagine they have a rep in the control room going "Oh gently caress you guys"

Nah, there are two people with the results in the envelopes and they're both backstage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:perfect:

This Oscars will be remembered forever basically, like David Niven's beautiful response to Robert Opel streaking :allears:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gumbercules posted:

I agree, the Oscars have been renowned for picking deserving winners throughout history, so this was a surprise.

But really, this particular award will always be won by a major american studio if they made a non-sequel movie, so turtle and zucchini never had a prayer. Kubo winning was the best possible outcome, but Zootopia's unsubtle pro-diversity message was just too on-point for this year's political zeitgeist.

I can agree with all that, but I expected Moana because of the Grrl Power aspect. Kubo was extraordinary. I suspect the voters didn't actually watch all the films so didn't actually see Kubo and the two foreign flicks.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

I can agree with all that, but I expected Moana because of the Grrl Power aspect. Kubo was extraordinary. I suspect the voters didn't actually watch all the films so didn't actually see Kubo and the two foreign flicks.

Frankly I'd be surprised if most of them watched Moana

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Nah, there are two people with the results in the envelopes and they're both backstage.

If that's just how lax they are in terms of preventing this from happening then they had it coming. Even worse as the decision to just get the gently caress out of there and not give the Moonlight folks a full chance to express themselves.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone must have put the wrong result inside the envelope for Best Picture. Maybe the slip of paper for Best Actress got printed twice? :iiam:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Zootopia had animal main characters, simple jokes that will get kids rolling, and hidden jokes for their parents. It's pretty much tailor-made for the Oscars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This Oscars will be remembered forever basically, like David Niven's beautiful response to Robert Opel streaking :allears:

CONNECT THE DOTS PEOPLE

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Someone must have put the wrong result inside the envelope for Best Picture. Maybe the slip of paper for Best Actress got printed twice? :iiam:

Nah, the envelope says "BEST PERFORMANCE BY A LEADING ACTRESS" right on the front.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Apparently they printed out two Emma Stone best actress envelopes and one Moonlight best picture envelope, and for some reason gave Warren the second Emma Stone envelope.

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
I feel Moana was more robbed of Best Original Song than it was of Best Animated Film.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

have we considered that this is a setup for the Oscars to win an Emmy?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

The Grey posted:

Apparently they printed out two Emma Stone best actress envelopes and one Moonlight best picture envelope, and for some reason gave Warren the second Emma Stone envelope.

There's two of every envelope. They're handed to the presenters off stage by one of the two people who have a copy of each envelope, so it's entirely possible that the actress envelope was handed off by person A, and later person B tried to hand off best picture envelope, but handed out his copy of best actress.

This is a really poorly thought out process but at the same time it's never happened ever so...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gumbercules posted:

I feel Moana was more robbed of Best Original Song than it was of Best Animated Film.

It wasn't

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They're just digging the hole deeper on the after show.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The real injustice here is people talking about Warren when Faye was who said Lala Land

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Tweak posted:

The real injustice here is people talking about Warren when Faye was who said Lala Land

I think he kinda set her up for the fall. he knew something was up, and instead of, like checking, he showed her the thing like he was just trying to be cute and she read the name she saw on the card.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grem posted:

There's two of every envelope. They're handed to the presenters off stage by one of the two people who have a copy of each envelope, so it's entirely possible that the actress envelope was handed off by person A, and later person B tried to hand off best picture envelope, but handed out his copy of best actress.

This is a really poorly thought out process but at the same time it's never happened ever so...

I don't know why they don't just tell the presenters ahead of time or have a digital database tied to a teleprompter or any of the millions of better ways to run this there could be.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Stop bitching about Zootopia and rewatch the sloths' scene. All will make sense again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tweak posted:

Warren knew what was up, showed the envelope to Faye to kill time, and then Faye was all OH LOOK IT SAYS LA LA LAND THEY WIN BEST PICTURE YAYYYYYYY

Fun fact: Leo DiCaprio was the one who brought out the envelope and gave it to Beatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Crazy Ted posted:

Warren knew what was up, showed the envelope to Faye to kill time, and then Faye was all OH LOOK IT SAYS LA LA LAND THEY WIN BEST PICTURE YAYYYYYYY

Fun fact: Leo DiCaprio was the one who brought out the envelope and gave it to Beatty.

This is, unfortunately, not true. Emma Stone has come out and said that Leo gave her the envelope and it never left her hands.

unless she's in on it as well...

• Locked thread