Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SleepCousinDeath posted:

there's this little known indie game called Resident Evil 7 that just came out and it's pretty awesome

RE7 is great but not even close to this in execution.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the first clock tower is mostly a rip-off of the argento film phenomena.

I always appreciated that even the third game (Ghost Head in the US) they kept the music Deep Red sounding despite the shift to Japanese mythology stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

the first clock tower is mostly a rip-off of the argento film phenomena.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ItlbA-ogo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They'd have been sued so hard today for tracing Jennifer Connelly lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

japanese games used to infringe on stuff so hard - a good deal of game music from the 80s/90s is just straight lifted from american music.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I enjoyed Michael Bhein, Christina Applegate and Sean Connery in Metal gear NES. Didn't you? Or Not Arnie and Not Rambo in Contra...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Groovelord Neato posted:

japanese games used to infringe on stuff so hard - a good deal of game music from the 80s/90s is just straight lifted from american music.

Castlevania music is very inspired by Goblin, to continue the Dario Argento discussion.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I love the design of the metal gear cover because it has beihn on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

US and European games would brazenly trace actors/rip off music too. Companies have done that as recently as Bioware with Neverwinter Nights. They got busted hard and later releases of the game have all the portraits altered to look less like which celebrities they were traced from.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Castlevania music is very inspired by Goblin, to continue the Dario Argento discussion.

I love introducing Casltevania fans to music from Goblin/its members because it's like an awesome new dimension of rad music they instantly love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmvV3jNuChM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC01gS5dkmk

To make this slightly more on topic, Alien 3's soundtrack was pretty influential to a lot of game developers too. One of my favorite parts of Resident Evil 4 is when you fight Verdugo because it's not just a ripoff of Alien 3, it's like a very focused ripoff of Alien 3 specifically with you in this vaguely defined boiler room sewer place with a lot of goldish lighting and some similar music (though they omitted that flanged horn section Goldenthal loved to use in like everything he did in the 90s) while this xenomorph wannabe pops out at you from small side passages and air vents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ5W-prE1bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsWeIwwTxMg

Rebellion's first PC AvP game has some very very good music, with several Aliens-esque tracks for when playing as the Marine, tracks inspired by Predator 2 for the Predator, and tracks inspired by Alien 3 for the Alien. That was great thinking imo. :) The Alien in that game is an ultra fast death machine, it's incredibly empowering to play well, but the slow burn soundtrack and the way humans can flip out if you get the drop on them makes it way more satisfying to slowly stalk your way through the game, great choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdbxfQFF_FI

I always found this interesting because Alien 3 had several video games based on it, several of which actually have great music! But AvP 1999 was the first one to actually have music that would fit with Alien 3 in it (SNES Alien 3's intro recreates the film's though the rest of its soundtrack is inspired by the scores to Alien and Aliens). But in this first game where everything was designed to be dripping with acid atmosphere they knew to go for Alien 3's sound when playing as the Alien itself.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

RE7 is great but not even close to this in execution.

Several games were mentioned in your previous post, so I'm not sure which one "this" is, but I finished RE7 recently and came away thinking it was Alien: Isolation, done right.

Isolation has art direction going for it, to an extent. But gameplay was tedious and they were a bit too married to the idea of the Alien as unstoppable for it to be fun. RE7's undying villains play by clearer gameplay rules (Especially in how they navigate levels), and everything is paced well.

The first half has a nice loop of:
a) Explore new environment while hunting for items.
b) Add big bad to environment once player knows the layout, let them solve a puzzle while being hunted, and unlock shortcuts to aid in evasion.
c) Boss fight with big bad.

It also escalates the challenge loop a little each time, by adding molded or giving the stalker the ability to spawn enemies, to keep things interesting. Also, it knows when the gimmick has worn out and moves on (though it could have done better than moving on to a corridor shooter. It works as a climax, but could have been more original). And finally, it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Some of that conflicts with the desire to make a single alien an unstoppable force like the first film, but it does make for mechanics that are fun. More of a game and less of a tedious sim.

It could be aped to work in an Aliens setting, maybe. Drones could be your tough but killable molded that pop out of walls, while you're hunted by a queen which is unstoppable, yet too big to disappear and spawn from vents. Replace chainsaw battles with power loaders or something.

We know it will never happen, but I'd be down for that.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My ideal sequel to Alien: Isolation would just have a shorter campaign where you are up a against a handful of aliens from the get go, each with unique identifying traits and behavioral quirks. The main selling of the game should absolutely be some DayZ-esque multiplayer on a huge station/ship/colony, with aforementioned handful of aliens instead of zombies. It'd solve the problem of the alien's presence growing tedious since getting the gently caress out of the area or waiting for it to go bother someone else (or even working together to have one distract it while the other works) become possible solutions.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bugblatter posted:

Isolation has art direction going for it, to an extent. But gameplay was tedious and they were a bit too married to the idea of the Alien as unstoppable for it to be fun. RE7's undying villains play by clearer gameplay rules (Especially in how they navigate levels), and everything is paced well.

I like Alien: Isolation and RE7 but you make a good point.

If they were to do another Isolation style game with some of the franchises we're talking about, it would help to occasionally be able to really gently caress the enemy up in a way that effects future encounters. RE7 is great in the way that ammo us scarce and the way it induces panic, but I hate trial and error gameplay and sometimes it veers off a bit in that direction. (the garage fight and the birthday room come to mind).

I hate emptying my shotgun into a dude's face only to learn that what I really need are the car keys and dying 3 times to find out. The third or fourth time the Birthday room I realized I didn't need ANY of the items that gave me clues. It felt cheap.

Like, if they did a Terminator: Isolation game it'd be cool if some of the damage actually stuck. Say, you take out an eye and his optic sighting and his aiming suffers; or you crush one of his arms so he can't reload as fast. Or you're able to gently caress up his leg enough so he's slower for the rest of them game, etc.

There are ways to build on what AI did and still keep the core mechanic of the gameplay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There was an old Terminator game based on the first movie where you play as Kyle Reese and arrive in 1984, and from there it's up to you how you track down Sarah Connor or if you try and intercept the Terminator, etc, and the entire time you don't know where the Terminator or Sarah are in relation to you.

I think there could be some good mileage out of a modern game using that concept. Open world game, randomized Terminator appearance, randomized target, randomized start location for everyone.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There was a really old fps for computers vs skynet robots and terminators all during the future war.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tenzarin posted:

There was a really old fps for computers vs skynet robots and terminators all during the future war.

That game was loving terrible. Balance issues galore, some weird-looking sprite implementation instead of 3d models, terrible level design, and the absolute worst player community ever. I'd usually be the only person on a server who figured out the alt-fire for the grenade launchers gave you one-shot kills on anybody. On maps that basically funneled both sides into a corridor with maybe stairs to break things up it was as OP as anything you'll ever see in an FPS. All of this, and ne day - I mentioned the player base sucked right ? mom called while I was playing, so I parked myself in an out of the way corner. An hour later and I'm still on top of the leaderboard. And alive.

That was a really mediocre three days. That game drove home the "no pre-orders, ever" lesson that Enter the Matrix should have driven home.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mllaneza posted:

That game was loving terrible. Balance issues galore, some weird-looking sprite implementation instead of 3d models, terrible level design, and the absolute worst player community ever. I'd usually be the only person on a server who figured out the alt-fire for the grenade launchers gave you one-shot kills on anybody. On maps that basically funneled both sides into a corridor with maybe stairs to break things up it was as OP as anything you'll ever see in an FPS. All of this, and ne day - I mentioned the player base sucked right ? mom called while I was playing, so I parked myself in an out of the way corner. An hour later and I'm still on top of the leaderboard. And alive.

That was a really mediocre three days. That game drove home the "no pre-orders, ever" lesson that Enter the Matrix should have driven home.

I think you two are talking about different games.

Bethesda did a bunch of single-player Terminator FPS games back in the 90s that were set in the future (Future Shock, 2029, and Skynet). They were cool and good.

The MMO one you're thinking of was Terminator 3: War of the Machines. It was every bit as bad as you're describing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Xeno, the one you're talking about is the 1991 DOS game, right? I never played it but there was a demo video of it on some ancient CD I had back in the mid 90s.

Edit: oh hey gameplay. Not quite as primitive as I would have guessed from the screenshots.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mllaneza posted:

That game drove home the "no pre-orders, ever" lesson that Enter the Matrix should have driven home.

Enter the matrix was a funny game.

david_a posted:

Xeno, the one you're talking about is the 1991 DOS game, right? I never played it but there was a demo video of it on some ancient CD I had back in the mid 90s.

Edit: oh hey gameplay. Not quite as primitive as I would have guessed from the screenshots.

I was refering to this game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3OUcLE_CFs and this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNMdboshmb4.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 28, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, those are the mid-90s Bethesda FPS games. They got generally good reviews. At the time they needed a fairly hefty PC to run so I never played them :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Bethesda Terminator game is genuinely remarkable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Bethesda Terminator game is genuinely remarkable.

The first 3D one they did, Future Shock, fully 3D environments a year before Quake I, great music, the lighting and atmosphere is perfect, game is amazing. The way you could raid small buildings for some supplies and stuff, the massive variety of weapons, so good. I know it IS junky in some ways but its stuff that I have no problem with because there was nothing like it when it came out. Fallout 3/general Bethesda fans may even appreciate it just for how it does the "tell a small story with how a room is arranged" thing effectively as you're exploring bombed out apartments and stuff in the early levels.

The level where you spend the whole time infiltrating a camp to rescue some prisoners and after this huge level you are finally are deep within a Skynet encampment and just fine these Holocaust-inspired mass graves filled with their incinerated remains. :wtc:

Bethesda did several Terminator games that are all at least good but Future Shock really seriously blew me away.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
New trailer leaked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress yes. I can't wait til we get to the Trappist planets.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's like TV/game quality CGI on those xenomorphs right there.

Having them outside in near daylight against a bright background sure is a brave choice.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 1, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maybe like in Prometheus it will be replaced by the guy that plays Fifield in the final film.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

A leaked trailer most likely does not have final cg.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Bugblatter posted:

A leaked trailer most likely does not have final cg.

There was an update on the Covenant fb page that a new trailer was coming out tomorrow. Along with a new image.

Hunterhr fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 1, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Trailers in general do not have finished CGI.

Also, digging the non-metal human teeth in the alien kisser too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They mostly come at night. Mostly.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
loving goon trailer complaints. "Looks like a PS1 FMV from 1997"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only thing that makes me wary is them finding yet another derelict.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Wouldn't it make sense to assume it would be Shaw's?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

The only thing that makes me wary is them finding yet another derelict.

I'm pretty sure that's Shaw/David's Juggernaut from the end of Prometheus.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The shot of the decimated engineer city looks great, and it's fascinating to see how it turned out after set photos leaked so long ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Shaw/David's Juggernaut from the end of Prometheus.

I totally loving forgot about that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Just watched the trailer. I can't believe they put this out. It LITERALLY looks like the title screen from an NES game circa 1988. Gonna say "No thanks" to this movie and play Contra instead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like the albino newborn.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I like the trailer, however, even people who didn't like Prometheus overall admit that it is pretty much one of the best looking films ever, so it makes sense that expectations about the visuals bar are high.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This could be my dream Alien movie. Very possible here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I think that was totally Interstellar music at the beginning.

loving hell, I was tired all day but that woke my rear end up. loving missed Xenomorphs mannnnnn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

UmOk posted:

Just watched the trailer. I can't believe they put this out. It LITERALLY looks like the title screen from an NES game circa 1988. Gonna say "No thanks" to this movie and play Contra instead.

So if it's as good as an nes game (in your eyes), shouldn't you still like it considering you still like/play nes games?