Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Here's my run. Nearly SA, includes the restaurant conversation (interrupted by god drat KAI shouting about Jason Portman.) Unlinked for all the 56k users out there. Trying to figure out how to cut out the two minutes in the middle where I went to pee and had it paused, but Youtube's editing options are rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apbn9wfclNM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
There are some definite bugs with line of sight across floors right now. Was doing the Paris escalation mission where you have to shoot some people on the middle floor, but was seen while doing it. Turns out everyone taking part in the top floor auction saw me through the ceiling!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HelixFox posted:

There are some definite bugs with line of sight across floors right now. Was doing the Paris escalation mission where you have to shoot some people on the middle floor, but was seen while doing it. Turns out everyone taking part in the top floor auction saw me through the ceiling!

Definitely. I got spotted needling Pavel while he was in the garden, not by anyone who was actually around, but by the guard that was patrolling the corridor where I had previously needled Akane. Never mind that the guards who were actually looking in my direction, behind the exact same wall, saw nothing, and I'm pretty sure he wasn't even in that part of the corridor when it happened.

So apparently, because he found Akane's body, he developed super-senses and spotted me from the other side of the facility when the same “accident” happened again.

Between this and the wholly random head-turning (that somehow give some people 360° vision, irrespective of what direction they're facing), the game is pretty much broken to the point of unplayability at the moment unless you savescrum like a motherfucker… which, of course, you can't for most of the content they've added.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Pro unlocks are dumb prestige poo poo, which is how it should be. Real useful items should not be locked into the mode where everything needs to be in play.

EDIT: Some new contracts that I'm mad about because the custom contracts are bugged but gently caress it.

Running A Tight Ship (Paris): 1-02-1383968-02
Speed contract to fiber wire three auction staff on the top floor. Two are easy, the last not so much.

Explosive Communion (Landslide): 1-04-9358110-02
Speed contract to kill the priest and a woman in the Sanguine shop. THE CONTRACT IS BUGGED; poisoning her wine glass doesn't work because this game is a buggy piece of poo poo and doesn't recognize her death as poison despite saying Poison Kill afterward. If they fix it it'll work but for now it requires a syringe.

This Party Sucks (A House Built On Sand): 1-07-6168839-02
Drown a bunch of people at Kong's party. A test of map knowledge and game mechanics but there's still a lot of speed improvements possible I suspect.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 27, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

where the red fern gropes posted:

e2: wow ok finally antique emetic syringe get. never going to use it but i have it if i need it. next i probably want the paris one? that's the second most useful one? any others worth getting?

Having two emetic syringes is pretty handy, helped me with a bunch of paris challenges in pro. The bodyguard has a tendency to chose puking in a wastebasket when there's a perfectly good toilet right next door.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Started playing this recently and I still haven't left Paris because doing the challenges is so much fun. Should I continue to just play each level to exhaustion before moving on or does it make sense to continue through the story and come back to stuff later?

I only ask because I've played 15 hours so far and I'm still on mission one, I could see this taking up a LOT of time :allears:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It will and you'll probably enjoy it with murder-for-hire-glee.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I would suggest playing a map until you're bored of it, and then move on to the next, rinse and repeat. I did it that way and had a blast. You also unlock neat tools this way to use in later maps.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i would suggest getting your rear end kicked on the hokkaido elusive target before it ~vanishes forever~

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Did anyone else Emetic the ET dude and watch him run off to find a bin to throw up in... which was literally next to the toilet in the restroom?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

i would suggest getting your rear end kicked on the hokkaido elusive target before it ~vanishes forever~

In retrospect - from experience rushing through Marrakesh, Bangkok and Colorado to do the Colorado ET - I don't recommend this. Better to just experience the main game content as intended and do elusive targets when one comes up that you're ready for. We latecomers have missed loads already, and there will be loads more.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Did anyone else Emetic the ET dude and watch him run off to find a bin to throw up in... which was literally next to the toilet in the restroom?

The same trash can the hospital director runs for if you poison his snacks?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

our friend mr freeze of 2244 fame posted a video of doing the hokkaido elusive target at level 1 i.e. no unlocks for hokkaido. But then again there's what 20 elusive targets left at least right?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
That yukata tho

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
My first time playing Marrakesh was for the Angel of Death ET, which I got SA on by shooting a sign so it fell on her. I went in totally blind, which was a lot of fun since not even the minimap tells you the target's location. If the ET is close to expiring and it's a level you've never played, might as well do it anyway. Plus it's probably the *~purist's~* ideal way to play an elusive target.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

The same trash can the hospital director runs for if you poison his snacks?

I never actually tried poisoning the director (I think I just knocked out a bunch of guards on the run where I used his disguise?), so probably. I just found it funny because the toilet was right there and there's no reason to drown him if you're going for the special poison.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I never actually tried poisoning the director (I think I just knocked out a bunch of guards on the run where I used his disguise?), so probably. I just found it funny because the toilet was right there and there's no reason to drown him if you're going for the special poison.

It's so easy to clear out the toilet and coin him in there that I never saw the point in poisoning the snacks since that's a risky thing with the enforcer who wanders about there.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dr Cheeto posted:

That yukata tho

can't even hold a candle to mr Silent Assassin Santa Only

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

njsykora posted:

that's a risky thing with the enforcer who wanders about there.

I think this is the guy I accidentally started a fistfight with when trying to roll him for a disguise after the first ET kill, so yes.

Aug 24, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

can't even hold a candle to mr Silent Assassin Santa Only

i need to SASO some pro levels and i've been waiting for the bathrobe but santa is just better

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
Re: trashy gold toilet rewards for Pro Levels - Colorado is surely the king of that. I don't know how I lived before I got a sniper rifle that played Ave Maria at you. That's some proper Innovations Catalogue poo poo and I love it.

Aug 24, 2011

the paris safe room trigger dialogue is pretty good

the codenames used for the two targets are "cobra" and "peacock"

novikov is very happy with his codename of cobra

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I find the yukata very disappointing- civilians and guards use generic responses from Hokkaido when you're wearing it, assuming you're a patient in a Japanese hospital.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My first time playing Marrakesh was for the Angel of Death ET, which I got SA on by shooting a sign so it fell on her. I went in totally blind, which was a lot of fun since not even the minimap tells you the target's location. If the ET is close to expiring and it's a level you've never played, might as well do it anyway. Plus it's probably the *~purist's~* ideal way to play an elusive target.

:same:

It was a cool way to get introduced to ETs, having only one chance at it along with not knowing the map and having zero unlocks just added to the stress of it. I got lucky with the sign, too, I don't think I knew yet that SAs didn't count if you kill any non-targets and wasn't trying to not hit her guards.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Was there actually a second reward for doing the optional objective in this week's ET or was it just for extra points? I just killed them however I wanted and got the yukata anyway.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

J-Spot posted:

Was there actually a second reward for doing the optional objective in this week's ET or was it just for extra points? I just killed them however I wanted and got the yukata anyway.

You needed to do the optional to achieve Silent Assassin rating, so it was important if you didn't unlock the Winter Coat yet. Otherwise, it was just for fun or pride.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thanks! I got the coat off the last ET so I really just want to go back to improvising with these again.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

elf help book posted:

You needed to do the optional to achieve Silent Assassin rating, so it was important if you didn't unlock the Winter Coat yet. Otherwise, it was just for fun or pride.

Also really made it super easy since the elusive target mission provides you two lethal syringes (behind a locked door in the morgue but still, pretty easily available).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

elf help book posted:

Apparently it doesn't even matter for the winter coat; not doing the injection kills costs you the Silent Assassin rating, but it doesn't prevent you from getting the Silent Assassin challenge.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

NRVNQSR posted:

Apparently it doesn't even matter for the winter coat; not doing the injection kills costs you the Silent Assassin rating, but it doesn't prevent you from getting the Silent Assassin challenge.

:wtc:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I didn't try it myself, but do there seem to be a lot of reports backing it up. And in fairness to the game the set of requirements for the "The Surgeons Silent Assassin" challenge is clearly described in the UI:

Nothing in there about "must complete all objectives".

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

People killed by poison counts as accidents, and their bodies when found don't count against you.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

People killed by poison counts as accidents, and their bodies when found don't count against you.

Correct.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hence why the map giving you two lethal syringes is a cakewalk.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Since I don't have a lot of Hokkaido challenges unlocked yet, I started in the guest room.

Slooowwwly made my way through the level, disabling cameras as I went, got into the syringe room using the head surgeon (I never checked, can on the head surgeon and head doctor get in there?), got to the first target....and botched it because I stabbed her with the needle 1 second too late. The door was opening to the waiting room full of guards, they saw the crime and all promptly shot me.

God damnit. :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Best way to get the needles is to get a disposable scrambler in an Agency pickup, run to the Morgue, open the tray with the callback in it, and grab the universal rfid card. Honestly, grabbing the universal card just makes everything easier.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bogart posted:

Best way to get the needles is to get a disposable scrambler in an Agency pickup, run to the Morgue, open the tray with the callback in it, and grab the universal rfid card. Honestly, grabbing the universal card just makes everything easier.

Every Hokkaido run now I start in the morgue to grab that card, it's just way easier to do that level when you don't have to worry about what disguise can go where.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Boiled Water posted:

Just to be picky, this is technically incorrect. It's true that discovered bodies of people killed by poison don't count against your rating, but poisonings don't count as accidents, so any challenge or contract requiring an accident kill can't be completed by poisoning. Also, if you've set up a poisoning and are just waiting for it to happen before you leave, be aware that the body counts as spotted until you see the words "Unnoticed Kill" come up in the top right and leaving the level before that happens won't give you Silent Assassin rating. (The same is true of explosion accidents, except that the magic words you need to see then are "Accident Kill") :science:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

njsykora posted:

Every Hokkaido run now I start in the morgue to grab that card, it's just way easier to do that level when you don't have to worry about what disguise can go where.

Yeah that Master RFID thing rules

Discendo Vox posted:

augh, not sure how to handle the SOSA/Ninja challenges on Hokkaido pro when I don't have the slot unlocks- and when I need them to get the slot unlocks!

Both are very doable without the slot unlocks; I havent done Ninja personally but I was able to figure out a route for SASO Hokkaido starting from Rieper's room without watching anything on youtube. If you're still looking to get the SASO I'd suggest checking out the pipe leading down from the overlook in the garden

Having only done Hokkaido just now I think it's a fantastic map overall: really interesting ideas, challenges, limitations, and ways to get around all of them. Not sure if I like it as much as Paris and Sapienza but it's definitely in the conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

augh, not sure how to handle the SOSA/Ninja challenges on Hokkaido pro when I don't have the slot unlocks- and when I need them to get the slot unlocks!

I figured out Pro Silent Ninja recently; it wasn't too hard, just slow and methodical and lots and lots of shooting cameras.
  • Used the mountain path pickup for a silenced sniper rifle, though you could probably make do with any silenced gun.
  • Followed the path down to the top floor entrance and climbed down to the open bathroom window.
  • KO'ed the two people that use that bathroom and the patrolling guard outside, stashing them all in a stall.
  • Went down the stairwell leading to the morgue security room (the same stairs Jason Portman takes).
  • Entered the morgue, crouch-hugging the outside wall of the security room. Sniped the heart and left the way I came.
  • Crossed the bridge to the resort, entered the sauna control room, KO'ed the guard and stuck him in the hamper.
  • Sauna kill as normal - the guard in the hamper lets you get in and out of the control room without a card.
  • Back the way I came, out the open window of the bridge, escape on the jetski.

Ironically I still don't know how to do normal Silent Ninja, since this route only works on Pro.