Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's delightfully (deliciously!) satisfying and soothing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RexJericho
Mar 20, 2011

pokeyman posted:

That looks awesome! Anything interesting to share about the implementation? (I know absolutely nothing about fluid simulation.)

Tres Burritos posted:

Man the only thing giving that away is the weird jagged edges.

Thanks!

I noticed the jaggyness after simulating the animation. The reason is because the fluid is being dropped on a surface that is tilted slightly towards the camera. The simulator works by making calculations on a 3D grid, and because of this, completely smooth slopes aren't able to be represented with 100% accuracy. It's kind of like the fluid is falling down tiny little stair steps, which is what is causing the choppiness. The choppiness could probably be reduced by tweaking a few settings. Or I could have just dropped the fluid on a flat surface that is aligned to the simulation grid.

Here is a visualization of how the simulator 'sees' the sloped surface. Notice the 'stairstep' banding artifacts.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

RexJericho posted:

Here is a visualization of how the simulator 'sees' the sloped surface. Notice the 'stairstep' banding artifacts.

Very cool. How long does it take to run the simulation?

RexJericho
Mar 20, 2011

munce posted:

Very cool. How long does it take to run the simulation?

This simulation/animation took a total of 49.4 hours for 300 frames. 1.5 hours to simulate, 7.4 hours to convert the particles into triangle meshes, and 40.5 hours to render into an animation.

My computer isn't very powerful and is quite slow for simulating/rendering. I used an ultrabook style laptop with Intel Core i5-4200U @ 1.60GHz processor, integrated Intel HD4400 graphics chip, and 8GB RAM.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

RexJericho posted:

This simulation/animation took a total of 49.4 hours for 300 frames. 1.5 hours to simulate, 7.4 hours to convert the particles into triangle meshes, and 40.5 hours to render into an animation.

:aaa:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RexJericho posted:

My computer isn't very powerful and is quite slow for simulating/rendering. I used an ultrabook style laptop with Intel Core i5-4200U @ 1.60GHz processor, integrated Intel HD4400 graphics chip, and 8GB RAM.

Oh god, no wonder it took so long to render.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Tres Burritos posted:

Man the only thing giving that away is the weird jagged edges.

I would have put that down to bad compression on the video

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
That is the best possible response. Godspeed RexJericho.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MrMoo posted:

Dynamic CSS and Polymer is surprisingly challenging. Chrome pulled CSS variables in v49 and now they have reintroduced a subset via a Polyfill, I was hoping to use CSS like color: var(--tick-colour); but due to performance reasons the variable is never recalculated automatically.

Also some crap with cascading not working from :host down so that toggleClass() is completely gimped.

Official start date on this project is next week, :toot:

Why would you need anything dynamic for color? Don't they just scroll off into oblivion and come back with different numbers later?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Worked on a little LED messenger bag display thing probably more useful for cyclists to piss off drivers but I enjoy it:

https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/834225556816326659

https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/835192084395077634

Code and how to on github.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's fun, you should try to get voice control in there for when you're on the go

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Munkeymon posted:

Why would you need anything dynamic for color? Don't they just scroll off into oblivion and come back with different numbers later?

This isn't the ticker, this is famous Twitter screens, prices go up and for them generally down and thus need to change from green to red.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

clockwork automaton posted:

Worked on a little LED messenger bag display thing probably more useful for cyclists to piss off drivers but I enjoy it:

https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/834225556816326659

https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/835192084395077634

Code and how to on github.

And you got it running on Chrome too :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm sick so I've been killing time by messing with the 286 card in my A2000.

I installed a VT102 emulator on it and rigged up a C# program to get WMI data from OpenHardwareMonitor and spit it out over serial with VT100 escape sequences. When the temps get too high they blink red! :toot:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Waiting for IPOs is a bit tedious ...

$21/23 pricing it looks like.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 2, 2017

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e: nevermind, not ready to share.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2017

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

For about the past month, following some conversations with a friend who works in the sciences, I've been working on a toolkit. Its purpose is to let people with only basic knowledge of Linux, and no specific knowledge of distributed filesystems, create a durable in-house data archival solution out of spare PCs.

This photo is of the cluster converging after the first successful bring-up with no manual intervention (so, basically, a trouble-free guided install). There's a lot of work to do to make this more than a glorified installer, but I hope it helps some people.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MrMoo posted:

My nephew barely knows any HTML or CSS but has managed to make some progress copying the NYSE floor designs, I updated with Polymer and WebComponents to hook up with WebSocket streamed live data.

Polymer is pretty nice, just make up your own HTML tags:

HTML code:
<long-form symbol="TRI"></long-form>
<long-form symbol="BAC"></long-form>
<long-form symbol="F"></long-form>
<long-form symbol="S"></long-form>
<long-form symbol="PFE"></long-form>

That looks really nice, but just a fair warning that Polymer is a flaming pile of garbage. So many of the bundled elements are broken in extraordinary ways, especially when you combine them and try to make it compatible for different browsers. It ends up being way more trouble than it is worth.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I blew the dust off of an old 6502 disassembler I wrote and spent two evenings turning it into a NES-worthy cycle-accurate emulation core:

I've added just enough PPU functionality in there to set the PPU status register flags and trigger NMIs to keep the execution from looping forever on vblanks and the like for Super Mario Bros. :mario:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hendersa posted:

I blew the dust off of an old 6502 disassembler I wrote and spent two evenings turning it into a NES-worthy cycle-accurate emulation core:

I've added just enough PPU functionality in there to set the PPU status register flags and trigger NMIs to keep the execution from looping forever on vblanks and the like for Super Mario Bros. :mario:

:toot:

I got as far as setting up the PPU flags before losing interest in my emulator.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

That looks really nice, but just a fair warning that Polymer is a flaming pile of garbage. So many of the bundled elements are broken in extraordinary ways, especially when you combine them and try to make it compatible for different browsers. It ends up being way more trouble than it is worth.

yes Polymer is garbage.

I've spent years working on an app that was all Polymer and managed billions of dollars of assets. It was an unworkable mess getting Web Components to play nice.

e: read more about the project

MrMoo posted:

Dynamic CSS and Polymer is surprisingly challenging. Chrome pulled CSS variables in v49 and now they have reintroduced a subset via a Polyfill, I was hoping to use CSS like color: var(--tick-colour); but due to performance reasons the variable is never recalculated automatically.

Also some crap with cascading not working from :host down so that toggleClass() is completely gimped.

Official start date on this project is next week, :toot:

I built something extremely similar to this at an old job, it wasn't stock prices but a different financial instrument monitor, complete with dynamic colors/styles based on data flow changes.

Use Angular Directives instead of Polymer elements. It will play much nicer with data binding and dynamic styling.

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 8, 2017

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mdxi posted:

For about the past month, following some conversations with a friend who works in the sciences, I've been working on a toolkit. Its purpose is to let people with only basic knowledge of Linux, and no specific knowledge of distributed filesystems, create a durable in-house data archival solution out of spare PCs.

This photo is of the cluster converging after the first successful bring-up with no manual intervention (so, basically, a trouble-free guided install). There's a lot of work to do to make this more than a glorified installer, but I hope it helps some people.

That's a super cool idea and I would love for it to work. I have tons of computers laying around and nowhere (other than the cloud) to store family photos and poo poo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Careful Drums posted:

That's a super cool idea and I would love for it to work. I have tons of computers laying around and nowhere (other than the cloud) to store family photos and poo poo.

Just remember that on-site replication isn't 'backup'

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah. Ideally I'd like to store all my stuff locally with 'cold' online storage.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Careful Drums posted:

yes Polymer is garbage.

I've spent years working on an app that was all Polymer and managed billions of dollars of assets. It was an unworkable mess getting Web Components to play nice.

e: read more about the project

I built something extremely similar to this at an old job, it wasn't stock prices but a different financial instrument monitor, complete with dynamic colors/styles based on data flow changes.

Use Angular Directives instead of Polymer elements. It will play much nicer with data binding and dynamic styling.

Christ that sounds stressful. I've been working on something that's being tested at 30 different schools that uses Polymer. When it's official, I think rebuilding it with Angular will be the way to go.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

:toot:

I got as far as setting up the PPU flags before losing interest in my emulator.

I can see why. The PPU guts are pretty awful. Honestly, there is no shame in bailing out at that point. The 6502 core is arguably the most reusable bit of it all, anyway.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hendersa posted:

I can see why. The PPU guts are pretty awful. Honestly, there is no shame in bailing out at that point. The 6502 core is arguably the most reusable bit of it all, anyway.

Yeah, it started as an Apple I emulator and I tried bolting a PPU onto it instead of the video terminal. That was easy at least since the Apple spits the character it's outputting to a memory-mapped I/O register and doesn't do anything more than teletype output. I could load BASIC from ROM and use it to load cassette dumps.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 9, 2017

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Careful Drums posted:

yes Polymer is garbage.

Thomson Reuters EIkon is planning to use Polymer everywhere, from a diaspora of every JS framework in existence, including home grown, and from a distance looks really convenient and neat, they've been building up quite an extensive web components library for a while. Due to CEF they lock into one browser and myself at NYSE all the end displays are a custom build of Chromium so that's thankfully not much of a concern.

I only have a handful of screen types to work with and pretty much done already so I've been burnt already on all its failings. I think the performance angle from declarative polymers is going to be quite useful and is reasonably well defined and understandable view in the system.

I need to spend a bit more time on the infrastructure, currently juggling between Node, TypeScript, C++ × Beast, Java × JSR 356, Elixir × Cowboy, Python3 × Async, and now looking at Erlang. So the plethora of frontend frameworks has to sit on the TODO list, I get to meet a UX designer on Friday so see if she has any preference.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Hey, I've been working on a weird dealio for predicting how long github issues will take (like a super small version of COCOMO, but not a giant piece of poo poo and with no human input). Weirdly complicated as a machine learning dealio. It's not incredible but it's not bad either, and I've been wondering if it was better than humans. Would any of you be up for a go?

(completely command line as of now so nothing to show really)

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Careful Drums posted:

It actually does work, as of right now. There's just no tooling yet to make things like swapping dead drives or reimaging OS partitions easy -- so at this moment you get a storage cluster built for you in an automated way, but then maintaining it requires lots of domain knowledge. Mechanizing common repairs is one of my next major tasks.

Edit: Also, the partitioning layout will be improved in the next milestone, and cluster initialization will use a more efficient (but equally durable) storage algorithm, as long as you have at least 5 machines in the cluster. So while it works just fine, pretty much everyone should wait for the next release.

Munkeymon posted:

Absolutely, but some people I want to help have data that they can't (or shouldn't, or don't want to) put on quasi-public utilities like S3 or Glacier. Or possibly can't afford to do so (science types get paid very, very little in many cases).

If you're a technologist with discretionary income and want to set up an in-house storage cluster, I completely agree that you should be periodically mirroring it to Glacier or similar.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 9, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

curufinor posted:

Hey, I've been working on a weird dealio for predicting how long github issues will take (like a super small version of COCOMO, but not a giant piece of poo poo and with no human input). Weirdly complicated as a machine learning dealio. It's not incredible but it's not bad either, and I've been wondering if it was better than humans. Would any of you be up for a go?

(completely command line as of now so nothing to show really)

This might not be the high-traffic thread to ask in! Maybe the general thread, or the agile one or something?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mdxi posted:

Absolutely, but some people I want to help have data that they can't (or shouldn't, or don't want to) put on quasi-public utilities like S3 or Glacier. Or possibly can't afford to do so (science types get paid very, very little in many cases).

If you're a technologist with discretionary income and want to set up an in-house storage cluster, I completely agree that you should be periodically mirroring it to Glacier or similar.

Yeah, and I didn't mean to impugn your project or anything, either - I see why it'd be useful to anyone without much budget for new hardware. Heck, I might use it eventually if I ever get around to both fixing my NAS and building a second one to replicate to like I want to :v:

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I'm fiddling with a prototype platformer that borrows everything I like about Gunbound, Fez, Shenzen I/O, and Super Metroid. Most of the devices have simple CPUs which you can program in an assembly language.

I'm having fun with it so far. :3: It's a crazy niche market, though, so we'll see how far it goes.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Implementing features and not caring about accurate styles produces some interesting results.

I've actually got pretty far with Elixir too, but I'm seeing only IPv4 with Cowboy and error messages still blow. Polymer 2 is almost out too.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
I updated my bag so I can now charge it while powering it which is definitely helpful when I need it on for longer periods of time.

I'm trying to figure out an issue with the bluetooth sending now where sometimes the first letter of a message I send via bluetooth is missing, but only the first letter.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

I added buffers which allow me to connect CPUs to each other. They're simple objects which inherit from Line2D and directly copy bytes of memory from one device to another. Means I can memory map devices.

I'm also training a chatbot in the background so, ideally, each segment will have three paths the player can take: the dialog path where they need to negotiate with the AI, the programming path where they need to solve a simple puzzle, and the exploration path where they need to look around.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Jo posted:

I added buffers which allow me to connect CPUs to each other. They're simple objects which inherit from Line2D and directly copy bytes of memory from one device to another. Means I can memory map devices.

I'm also training a chatbot in the background so, ideally, each segment will have three paths the player can take: the dialog path where they need to negotiate with the AI, the programming path where they need to solve a simple puzzle, and the exploration path where they need to look around.

:swoon:

My all time favorite thing to code (or theorize and then never get around to doing,) is wiring and cpu simulations. I gotta do something.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Now with added Gotham, looks pretty.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Updated with remote admin capability so the contents can be updated with all the different screen types:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Once again I failed to get a job that I applied for and I ended up depressed, meaning I found a dumb project to occupy myself. I found a detailed description of the Pac-Man arcade hardware and a Z80 assembler...

Not bad for half an hour of work :)