Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

MikeCrotch posted:

There's a reason Dodd Frank existed instead of Glass Stiegel though, and the answer to that is "The Wall Street Lobby". In the words of Mark Blythe, if you tried to bring back Glass Stiegel, Jamie Dimon drops $1 billion on the laps of his lobbyists and gets it to go away forever.

Wish someone would drop some $$$ to have him shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I would like to get rid of FPTP too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jBrereton posted:

A voice to represent them... nowhere... because they aren't elected to positions of responsibility...

makes u think

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

John said of those seeking to topple Jeremy 'It is more important to them that they regain control of the Party than it is to win elections.'

This is true, though. Blair even literally stated this during one of his earlier interventions.

Pretty much everything McDonnell said is obviously true. The fact that large sections of the media and PLP are trying to sabotage the leadership doesn't change the fact that Corbyn's team are doing a terrible job on their own, of course, it just exacerbates the issue.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The PLP hacked Jeremy's letterbox

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

A voice to represent them... nowhere... because they aren't elected to positions of responsibility...

The basic problem is that the Labour centre/right have not done enough to convince their base that they would represent them if elected. The insult 'red Tory' cuts to the heart of this - even if they believe that the centrists and right-wingers are more electable (not an easy sell in itself), that still doesn't mean they believe that electing them would actually do anything for them. From this perspective, the Labour primaries are as much an effort to restore the Labour Party to power as the general elections, because they do not feel that the centre and right are actually Labour in any meaningful way.

In other words, if you simply want to pick the winning side without regard for policy, why not just vote Conservative?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mfcrocker posted:

So it's almost like most people would like a voice to represent them and are less fussed about winning elections

That's great. Any chance they could use something other than the Labour Party to achieve this? Winning elections is what it's for.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

That's great. Any chance they could use something other than the Labour Party to achieve this? Winning elections is what it's for.

alien but with jeremy's head on the chest burster

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

From this perspective, the Labour primaries are as much an effort to restore the Labour Party to power as the general elections, because they do not feel that the centre and right are actually Labour in any meaningful way.

What are 'labour primaries'?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What do you believe the purpose of the opposition parties is in Parliament, particularly when the government has a large majority?

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Pisflaps and JBretoen remind me of Cannon & Ball.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pissflaps posted:

Then you must really hate the centrists and the PLP. They've done nothing but lose elections for the past decade.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

What do you believe the purpose of the opposition parties is in Parliament, particularly when the government has a large majority?

What's that got to do with the perception that some in the Labour Party are not interested in winning elections?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Then you must really hate the centrists and the PLP. They've done nothing but lose elections for the past decade.

Everyone in the PLP has, by definition, won an election.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What are 'labour primaries'?

The candidate selection processes for selecting the Labour candidate for various posts, from MPs to mayors and councillors. I've voted in a couple of them. Have you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

What's that got to do with the perception that some in the Labour Party are not interested in winning elections?

Answer the question.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

The candidate selection processes for selecting the Labour candidate for various posts, from MPs to mayors and councillors. I've voted in a couple of them. Have you?

No I'm not a Labour Party member.

They call them 'primaries'?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Darth Walrus posted:

Answer the question.

What question do you think you're answering?

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
If I was obsessed with the Green Party I'd join them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

No I'm not a Labour Party member.

They call them 'primaries'?

I'm not sure it's the technical term, but it's the one that was used at my CLP when we picked the mayoral candidate.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Truly what was needed to turn around the woes of the Copeland by-election result was Owen Smith going door to door around the constituency talking about how much money he made hawking drugs for Pzifer and how big his knob is

A real Man of the People

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
If I was obsessed with the Lib Dems I'd join them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I sense somebody is going to attempt to join me.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

i'd previously assumed that the name covered the Labour representatives in both houses of parliament. but that's not how people use it; it's just the Labour MPs.
is there an equivalent name for the Labour Lords? or a good catch-all for both?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I would like to get rid of FPTP too.

if Labour had won in 2010 it would've been gone already :'(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
what are the odds that Hunt will actually turn up to answer the urgent question in commons?

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
If I was obsessed with the Tories I'd join them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

what are the odds that Hunt will actually turn up to answer the urgent question in commons?
To be fair he might be taking the day off due to working at the weekend.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

Would it?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cerv posted:

Electoral reform was one of the first issues Blair broke Labour's promises on. People who get elected by a system tend to think it's just great as it is.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

In other words, if you simply want to pick the winning side without regard for policy, why not just vote Conservative?
Because they aren't the same policies by a long stretch, and the 90 or so % of (elected, mind you) MPs who no-confidence'd Corbyn know that just as much as they know he's poison for the party.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation

jBrereton posted:

Because they aren't the same policies by a long stretch, and the 90 or so % of (elected, mind you) MPs who no-confidence'd Corbyn know that just as much as they know he's poison for the party.

its a shame they all are as well. what a miserable state the PLP is in

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

I don't disagree, but they're not Tories.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

Do you think Labour would be better off without MPs?

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
If I was obsessed with UKIP I'd join them.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Answer this question Pissflaps.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Who would the troops vote for?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Sure. I don't want to pick the winning side without regard for policy. I want a Labour government protecting and growing our public services, not a Tory government destroying them.

(...you realise Darth Walrus didn't direct that question at me, right?)

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Dodged like Neo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think Labour would be better off without MPs?

No i think labour would be better off with good, capable MP's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

No i think labour would be better off with good, capable MP's

In what way do you find labour MPs bad and incapable?

• Locked thread