Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
And if you want to talk about "expository dialogue" in the film, how about Leia's belief that it was Snoke that lead Kylo astray, not "the force" or any training by Luke.
Or that she's desperate to find her brother, The Last Jedi.
"Save us Obi-Wan, you're our only hope."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Why is every alternate prequel story I stumble across online better that the real ones?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

High Lord Elbow posted:

Why is every alternate prequel story I stumble across online better that the real ones?

I'm assuming you're referring to the three paragraphs Detective No. 27 quoted. The strange thing is that actually does match up to the actually story in the prequels quite closely. The biggest difference (aside from the collar being visible) is that in the Fantastic Films speculation, the character of Anakin brutally (but innocently!) murders his slave master, while in Lucas's version the slave master lives.

If that's all that takes to make the one good and the other bad, then Lucas's version is bad because Anakin never kills Watto.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 27, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anakin should have been a teenager by the time Obi Wan meets him. Then the attraction to Padme would have made a little more sense.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm assuming you're referring to the three paragraphs Detective No. 27 quoted. The strange thing is that actually does match up to the actually story in the prequels quite closely. The biggest difference (aside from the collar being visible) is that in the Fantastic Films speculation, the character of Anakin brutally (but innocently!) murders his slave master, while in Lucas's version the slave master lives.

If that's all that takes to make the one good and the other bad, then Lucas's version is bad because Anakin never kills Watto.

It's not just the idea that he personally kills him, it's that his first ever use of the force is lethally avenging himself and more importantly, doing so in a context that, let's be real, makes the right thing to do in the context of like a two hours adventure film. Without watching the Clone Wars series the PT makes it seem like Anakin is cool and then over a short amount of time becomes a dumbass tempted to the dark side. It could make the character more interesting if in the back of his mind he truly believes for a fact that brutally killing someone who owns slaves or/and is a huge rear end in a top hat is a good thing to do. Maybe that he did that isn't something anyone in the story even knows besides him and Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan's blindness and faith in the force makes him not noticing how much this eats away at an Anakin attempting to be a "good Jedi" and help people while realizing what a farce it is that he's a "hero" for slaying a billion dudes across the Galaxy because it's what the senate wants.

And it's not like a lot of the concepts and ideas people are bringing up about how Anakin's life could have progressed in the movies are out of nowhere, the Clone Wars series is canon and you can tell very clearly that they were making up for certain missed opportunities in the first two movies regarding how the droids and clones are treated and what people think of their presence/lack of sentience, the hypocrisy of the Jedi calling themselves peacekeepers when their gleefully accepted role is "infiltrate and kill whoever the Republic Senate doesn't like," tying how this stuff shapes Anakin vs. his experiences as a kid would have been interesting to see in the movies, but outside of that one conversation with Watto, we don't. His childhood and most of Phantom Menace's events may as well have not even happened.

Whatever, speculating about what could have been is always fun.

I was and still am legit shocked that Anakin didn't kill Watto. I appreciated Hayden's performance during that brief conversation and it made me surprised that he didn't return to kill Watto after he was done murdering the sand people. Watto's writing was really off during it too, he greets him like they're old friends and had great times together and stuff. I mean that's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch from this kid that's sad everyone is such a greedy jerk and is angry that if he walks more than a mile away from the place he explodes. Watto deserved to die just for being such an idiot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neo Rasa posted:

Watto's writing was really off during it too, he greets him like they're old friends and had great times together and stuff. I mean that's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch from this kid that's sad everyone is such a greedy jerk and is angry that if he walks more than a mile away from the place he explodes. Watto deserved to die just for being such an idiot.

Like all of us, Watto wants to believe he's a good person. Watto is full of poo poo- he knows he's full of poo poo, Anakin knows he's full of poo poo, and Watto knows Anakin know's he's full of poo poo. Watto performs this charade that he didn't inflict ghastly suffering on this child, and Anakin allows it, because that's generally how human interaction works.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 27, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vintersorg posted:

Anakin should have been a teenager by the time Obi Wan meets him. Then the attraction to Padme would have made a little more sense.

Yep. Heath Ledger could have been cast as Anakin for Episode I if that were the case. Ledger would have been 18 around the time of filming TPM. Rose Byrne (who would also have been 18 then) should have been cast as Padme instead as well; always thought she looked way more like Leia's mom. And her handful of lines in AOTC were better delivered than anything from Portman's entire Star Wars run.

[edit] Ledger likely would have emulated the nuances of James Earl Jones' vocal performance of Vader too. Hayden Christensen's stilted performance aside, I also couldn't get over how high pitched/soft his voice was.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 27, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

Without watching the Clone Wars series the PT makes it seem like Anakin is cool and then over a short amount of time becomes a dumbass tempted to the dark side.

What?

When is Anakin cool?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not just the idea that he personally kills him, it's that his first ever use of the darkside is lethally avenging himself and more importantly, doing so in a context that, let's be real, makes the right thing to do in the context of like a two hours adventure film.

Killing the Jedi who enslaved him was Just.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

Their relationship is supposed to be hosed up. Both are emotionally stunted. Under normal circumstances, Anakin would grow out of his infatuation with Padme, but being with the Jedi prevents him from developing past that juvenile puppy love. He thinks love is setting the galaxy on fire just so he can keep the object of his desire alive forever. Doesn't get much more immature than that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Watto's writing was really off during it too, he greets him like they're old friends and had great times together and stuff. I mean that's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch from this kid that's sad everyone is such a greedy jerk and is angry that if he walks more than a mile away from the place he explodes. Watto deserved to die just for being such an idiot.

He also sees Anakin's lightsaber and he's clearly nervous about Anakin seeking revenge; he's walking on eggshells trying to placate him. He's almost obsequious in his deference.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's a pretty dope force choke origin.

I like how obi wan purchases the slave kid for a fair price.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sassassin posted:

What?

When is Anakin cool?

In the Clone Wars series there's a bunch of parts where he owns, either through tactical cunning while commanding ships/soldiers or through creative implementations of violence in a kids show. The show does a great job of having situations where Anakin cold kills someone in such a way that you're like "YES it is good that Anakin ended ended a person's life" and that being okay because his master kind of blows it off as a "lmao...CLASSIC psychopath Anakin amirite?" because it happens to accomplish his objective at that time, vs. them being super high and mighty about other people being violent at all. As the show goes on it does (again within the confineds of a kids show of course) a genuinely good job with this duality of Anakin becoming this charismatic war hero people both want to be the best friend of but are a bit put off by at the same time.

Obviously they had six seasons of weekly TV to work that out with so there's a huge time advantage, but I wish the folks who created the general arc of the show were the people who wrote the Attack of the Clones movie. It's a great kids show about violence and slavery honestly. Like you would never see anything on par with the one of the clone troopers lecturing our heroes about how they're slave drivers before being imprisoned. Or the episode with the droid that keeps getting its memory wiped and given new fake news about where to flee to so that it unknowingly carries a bomb inside of it to an ideal location. Then its death is treated as comedic by the "show" but obviously not to the droid that gets blown up looking around for the bomb everyone around it is screaming about. It's awesome.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

He's attracted to Padme because she reminds him of his mother, though. And Padme falls for him in Episode II (not Episode I, let's be clear) because she comes to see him as a grown man with an innocent child inside who's been broken by the world and needs to be fixed. It's kind of edgy and weird but let's keep in mind this is supposed to be an unhealthy, co-dependent relationship. Padme at least comes to realize this and refuses to follow Anakin into the depths, for which Anakin strangles her.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

In the Clone Wars series...

I thought you were talking about not the Clone Wars series.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

:goonsay: The problem with this parable about the rise of fascism in a bureaucratic republic that takes its institutions for granted is that it's just not got dang cool and grandiosely tragic enough. How am I supposed to believe the beguilement of Vader if he's acting 'all cool' in one context and then, in a slightly different context, I perceive him as not so cool? How can I learn the lesson that cool and good people need not fear falling into fascism because there's a super obvious identifiable interstitial stage of jerkishness first where you're at 50 Light Side EXP and 50 Dark Side EXP if the dang movies keep stubbornly refusing to show it??? :bahgawd:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Not my Anakin

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The best edit of Revenge of the Sith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7WE6WiPoA

I have to say, some of the mangled dialogue comes out surprisingly well. Dooku's name just being 'the', on the other hand, is great for entirely different reasons.

(R-2, do you is loving?)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The arc of Clone Wars with General Krell is extremely top tier. Beautifully animated and a great story.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Detective No. 27 posted:

The arc of Clone Wars with General Krell is extremely top tier. Beautifully animated and a great story.

More children's cartoons should be about fragging your own superior officer.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Cross-post from the Gen Thread, not sure if it's been mentioned here and I just missed it:

Timby posted:

So for those wondering, the 4K restoration that's been done on Star Wars Episode IV (the one Gareth Edwards said he saw a few months ago) is not of the unaltered version, but rather the Special Edition.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Mecha Gojira posted:

More children's cartoons should be about fragging your own superior officer.

war is heck

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ungulateman posted:

The best edit of Revenge of the Sith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq7WE6WiPoA

I have to say, some of the mangled dialogue comes out surprisingly well. Dooku's name just being 'the', on the other hand, is great for entirely different reasons.

(R-2, do you is loving?)

Thanks for this. Obi-Wan: "Oh I feel far from good!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, "The Jedi Council" becomes "The Presbyterian Church".

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"Hopeless situation warriors" is a loving amazing dual meaning, too

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JJ Abrams says that Mark Hamill in The Last Jedi is so good it could get Hamill an Oscar nomination. The last time that happened was with Alec Guiness.

Speaking of Oscars, they ended In Memoriam this year with a "may the Force be with you" by Leia in The Force Awakens. I think it's pretty cool that they use a footage of Carrie Fisher from the more recent movie instead of one with a younger Fisher from the OT.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The MSJ posted:

JJ Abrams says

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The MSJ posted:

JJ Abrams says that Mark Hamill in The Last Jedi is so good it could get Hamill an Oscar nomination. The last time that happened was with Alec Guiness.

Untrue. Many actors have had Oscar nominations since Alec Guiness.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think he's saying Alec Guiness's acting was so good that it got Mark Hamill nominated for an Oscar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh yeah? Name one. :smug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

But was it because their acting was good???

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBA Starblade posted:

Dwayne Johnson for existing.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Jackie Chan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet you the first time Vader saw himself in the mirror, he thought "Goddamn't, I wish they went with a matte finish."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bet you the first time Vader saw himself in the mirror, he thought "Goddamn't, I wish they went with a matte finish."

*vader voice* don't touch me, those smudges take hours to remove with a microfiber cloth

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

*vader voice* don't touch me, those smudges take hours to remove with a microfiber cloth

Woodoo hide. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like Rogue One explaining the smudges by having him murder a poo poo load of people right before.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I like Rogue One explaining the smudges by having him murder a poo poo load of people right before.

May have to get around to watching Rogue One.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you've enjoyed Edward's films, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

If you've enjoyed Edward's films, there's a good chance you'll enjoy Rogue One.

Is it more Monsters or more Godzilla?

• Locked thread