Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

A cycle of rare lands that are all going to be above 30 bucks will CRATER the prices for everything else in the set.

That is going to really rely on how many good cards are in the set. Per the spreadsheet, it looks like caverns is going to be in the set. With the cards spoiled so far it looks like anything goes.

Here is the spoiled cards from TWoo. I am going to laugh if its correct. It would also mean we are totally wrong about what WOTC will put into masters sets.

Griselbrand
Lili of the veil
Cavern of Souls
Grafdiggers cage
Omniscience
Engineered explosives
Chalice if the void
Blood Moon
Voice of resurgence
Craterhoof behemoth
Karn, Liberated
Batterskull
Spells kite
Surgical Extraction
Inkmoth Nexus*
Mox opal
Scapeshift
Valakut, the more pinnacle
Crucible of worlds
Grove of the burn willows
Horizon canopy
Damnation
Ancestral vision
Infernal tutor
Group's vengeance
Through the breach
Auriok champion
Oblivion stone
Ensnaring bridge

If mm2017 is really this stacked and more, the price of everything will drop for a while.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cactrot posted:

Don't we usually see an initial drop, followed by a later spike and then a stabilization higher than the initial price?

Exactly. You can already pick up Tarns for €30 LP on MKM, these are dropping to ~$30 max. They'll then fairly rapidly make it back up to $50-60

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

A cycle of rare lands that are all going to be above 30 bucks will CRATER the prices for everything else in the set.

Not really. It's simple supply and demand - the idea that some set of expensive cards can crater the value of everything else in the set only works when supply is effectively unlimited. In a regular set the value of a box is completely fixed due to the fact that demand never outstrips supply.

If they just reprinted MM2013 straight-up it would still be worth a lot.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 27, 2017

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cactrot posted:

Don't we usually see an initial drop, followed by a later spike and then a stabilization higher than the initial price?

SaffronOlive just wrote an article saying that's wrong.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

I think it will hinge more on how much of the set is opened. We saw this with KTK because not only were those packs regular price, but people really enjoyed KTK's limited environment so a whole lot of KTK got opened. To say nothing of the fact that it was the first time those fetches were Modern-legal.

At $10 a pop I highly doubt more MM17 will be opened than KTK, but putting fetches in like this will definitely drive pack sales. I've been wanting to pick up Catacombs for a while.

evilweasel posted:

I assumed mcmagic was talking about the rationale for not reprinting the fetches in a new standard set.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. But putting fetches in a Standard set can definitely drive sales of said set, and it's not like Wizards profits directly from the contents of packs once they're opened.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 27, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

Ehhhh, that's a lot less true at the inflated MSRP right? I mean you're right, but maybe "crater" is a little hyperbolic

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I assumed mcmagic was talking about the rationale for not reprinting the fetches in a new standard set.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

SaffronOlive just wrote an article saying that's wrong.

his article says MM causes cards in it to go on sale, meaning they see a price drop that doesn't last.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm not as cynical as the rest of you that reprinting Scalding Tarn at rare will make it $100, but I don't know what to base that on because #mtgfinance doesn't always follow what I think real life should be.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So far I'm not unimpressed. Going for the boxes, one to sit on, two to draft for fun.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mcmagic posted:

That only happens in sets where a whole bunch of it is printed and sold at MSRP.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm not as cynical as the rest of you that reprinting Scalding Tarn at rare will make it $100, but I don't know what to base that on because #mtgfinance doesn't always follow what I think real life should be.

Efficient market hypothesis believers hate them! Learn this one weird trick mtgfinance experts use to befuddle all economic models!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Walked posted:

So far I'm not unimpressed. Going for the boxes, one to sit on, two to draft for fun.

I mean, let's not count out the combo of Corpsejack Menace and Armada Wurm yet. They're both eligible.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How many rares are usually in these sets; i'm trying to justify buying a box, but not if only one out of my packs is going to have a fetch.

I don't own any enemy fetches, and that is my biggest barrier to completing some modern decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

I was. But i think that leans more toward gameplay concerns. (It also makes standard way more expensive)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't imagine anyone really buys into legit troll economics.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DangerDongs posted:

How many rares are usually in these sets; i'm trying to justify buying a box, but not if only one out of my packs is going to have a fetch.

I don't own any enemy fetches, and that is my biggest barrier to completing some modern decks.

53r/15m

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

That is going to really rely on how many good cards are in the set. Per the spreadsheet, it looks like caverns is going to be in the set. With the cards spoiled so far it looks like anything goes.

Here is the spoiled cards from TWoo. I am going to laugh if its correct. It would also mean we are totally wrong about what WOTC will put into masters sets.

Griselbrand
Lili of the veil
Cavern of Souls
Grafdiggers cage
Omniscience
Engineered explosives
Chalice if the void
Blood Moon
Voice of resurgence
Craterhoof behemoth
Karn, Liberated
Batterskull
Spells kite
Surgical Extraction
Inkmoth Nexus*
Mox opal
Scapeshift
Valakut, the more pinnacle
Crucible of worlds
Grove of the burn willows
Horizon canopy
Damnation
Ancestral vision
Infernal tutor
Group's vengeance
Through the breach
Auriok champion
Oblivion stone
Ensnaring bridge

If mm2017 is really this stacked and more, the price of everything will drop for a while.

If the set was legitimately this stacked, the price of everything wouldn't drop so much as the price of boxes would go up. But its not going to be that stacked because if it was, vendors would have figured it out and sold them for more money to begin with. MM2015 boxes started higher than 2017 boxes have started at.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 27, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i realize stoic angel was on the packaging and stuff but i still like the spoiler method of "here's a terrible reprint but then look at this good reprint!"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DangerDongs posted:

You can generally expect >50% of the rares to be garbage, but the top 20% or so of the rares/mythics will end up being more than the price of a back. You basically have to hope that you open a money mythic or two to offset all the chaff.

If you look up MM15 on tcgplayer, rares and mythics only, and sort by price from low to high, you get to page 4 out of 7 before you get above the $1 mark. I think the only non-mythic in the set that's above $20 is Noble Hierarch.

Having the whole fetch cycle taking up 5 rare slots probably means the EV will be better this time around.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

value of this set sucks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

value of this set sucks

So far only 1 garbage rare...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WOTC: please play standard
*prints in-demand modern format cards*
*reprints them like eternal masters*
??? why isn't anyone attending standard showdowns?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
ZEN Goblin Guide has a market price of $20 according to TCG. Is that really lovely and I'm just unaware?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

ZEN Goblin Guide has a market price of $20 according to TCG. Is that really lovely and I'm just unaware?

It was over 35 very recently.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
No one's gonna be selling boxes for under $250 if that rumored reprint list ends up being true lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MiddleEastBeast posted:

No one's gonna be selling boxes for under $250 if that rumored reprint list ends up being true lol

I really hope that it's true because it will at least temporally drive down the prices for everything and I can pick up the few things I need for cheap lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

value of this set sucks

That art blows but hell yeah I can get my Guides back. Probably not at $7 a pop like a few years ago but back nevertheless.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Number crunch rules out Grove and Canopy.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Surprised they didn't re-art the fetches to match the standardized ones

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Is there anybody in here who is super loving into Pauper and wants to PM me to talk shop a little?

I wanna sleeve up a bunch of decks that are more-or-less balanced against each other to keep around for pickup games, which I think a couple of people have also posted about a couple times in the past few months. I think tier-1 pauper netdecks would be the best baseline because it's somewhat well documented, and then I can support less viable archetypes with the inclusion of some modest rares and uncommons.

So I guess I'm fishing for notions about which Tier-3 decks would stack up if only a few certain cards were added to the format, or a madman who wants to brainstorm other gimmicks to showcase (an entire deck illustrated by Rebecca Guay??)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

value of this set sucks

Has this artist been working for them for a while? I like this, and I don't recall having seen anything else in quite this style recently.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Angry Grimace posted:

value of this set sucks

96/249 in red? There are gonna be a poo poo-ton of lands, artifacts, and multicoloured cards in this set. It looks great so far.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Has this artist been working for them for a while? I like this, and I don't recall having seen anything else in quite this style recently.

http://magiccards.info/query?q=a%3A%22filip+burburan%22&v=card&s=cname

He's done 26 cards, all recent. I think the earliest he did anything was M15.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Looking at his cards, all he's done are recent sets.

E:F;b

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That art is not bad, but nothing about it says 2/2 super aggro haste guy to me, it conveys no motion.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

80s James Hetfield posted:

Surprised they didn't re-art the fetches to match the standardized ones
One of the main reasons I'd want them in Amonkhet standard is to see what cool art they'd have.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bonus posted:

That art is not bad, but nothing about it says 2/2 super aggro haste guy to me, it conveys no motion.

Neither did the original Guide TBH

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bonus posted:

And this does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

True, I guess I'm just used to the old art more. The old art has better composition though?

• Locked thread