Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DSP could be in the upper echelon of Youtube LPers, making pretty decent cash, but he's an egomaniac gently caress that has undermined every single possible opportunity to develop his brand. His channel is going to die eventually and I dunno what the gently caress he's gonna do when that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
In more important news, lasagnacat started to make humorous videos again and among the weird ARG of the videos there's a link to another channel where I found a rather interesting LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpRLPe9s9Q

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
That video is a fever dream, what the hell.

The dude doesn't even lean into the gimmick at all!

Edit: I looked at the rest of the videos on the channel and I changed my mind, this is some elaborate performance piece. There's an unboxing video, a cold steel video, some hot BMX tricks...

Axe Master fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 25, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It might help to get acquainted with the main channel to understand what's going on...kinda sorta.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Axe Master posted:

That video is a fever dream, what the hell.

The dude doesn't even lean into the gimmick at all!

Edit: I looked at the rest of the videos on the channel and I changed my mind, this is some elaborate performance piece. There's an unboxing video, a cold steel video, some hot BMX tricks...

It's kind of exactly that. lazycat619 is one of the "stars" of 12/04/1980. They went all in and made channels for those characters.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

It's kind of exactly that. lazycat619 is one of the "stars" of 12/04/1980. They went all in and made channels for those characters.
Check out the posting date of the fight video on the lazycat619 channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?lazycat619?videos
Also the channel creation dates of the lazycat and odie channels.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Let's all celebrate and thank god for Jim loving Sterling, son.

https://youtu.be/qS-LXvhy1Do

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Quoting myself from PYF Schadenfreude:

CommissarMega posted:

The utterly sad thing is, had the Romines simply shut up about everything and let things slide, Jim would've just moved on to the next lovely asset flip. Sure, odds are he'd stumble onto another DH trash fire, but at least he wouldn't actively be digging into things. Also, of all the people who'd be offended due to artistic pride, the DH guys are the ones I'd least suspect, and the ones who least deserve, to be so.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was to find out at the end of the video that there are people siding with Digital Homicide in all this nonsense

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roman Reigns posted:

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was to find out at the end of the video that there are people siding with Digital Homicide in all this nonsense

I don't think they're siding with DH per se, but are against any kind of critical look at their shoddy asset flips.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Let's all celebrate and thank god for Jim loving Sterling, son.

https://youtu.be/qS-LXvhy1Do

My mind is boggled that the guy legit bought a Jim Sterling tshirt and donated a dollar to his patreon to prove that Jim did business in Arizona.

I mean, I'm loving boggled that the judge didn't just laugh off that lawsuit and threw it out in the first place. But jeeze, how vindictive do you have to be to do that?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Vindictive enough to sue over 100 steam users for critizing his games while in the middle of an ongoing lawsuit.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Leal posted:

My mind is boggled that the guy legit bought a Jim Sterling tshirt and donated a dollar to his patreon to prove that Jim did business in Arizona.

Considering the popcorn thing was also in the brief for the 100 Steam Users with the reasoning that it counts as libel because it is what people say when, and this IS almost verbatim what Romine wrote, they "gangbang their target" I'm more surprised that he put that much thought into fabricating evidence.

I am not at all surprised that he misunderstood what minimal contacts are, though. :v:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Leal posted:

I mean, I'm loving boggled that the judge didn't just laugh off that lawsuit and threw it out in the first place. But jeeze, how vindictive do you have to be to do that?

A dollar a month.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm more interested in the edited document that he sent back signed. Like what exactly did he change and agree too? Is it not illegal to make changes to a legal document like that? :psyduck:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm more interested in the edited document that he sent back signed. Like what exactly did he change and agree too? Is it not illegal to make changes to a legal document like that? :psyduck:

You can make edits, but they invalidate the initial signatures of the other party and they have to sign again.

USUALLY the editing party will indicate their changes and reasons for them when they send it back (most times it's poo poo like "I'm going by a different name now," or "you used my old address, my new address is X," and if you're being polite (which is a good idea when crafting legal agreements) you'll try to contact the other party about your intended edits before making them.

I'm guessing he tried to sneak in a paragraph about how Jim was accepting culpability and was totally sorry for everything.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 28, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Keeshhound posted:

I'm guessing he tried to sneak in a paragraph about how Jim was accepting culpability and was totally sorry for everything.

That would be too intelligent for this guy. He probably tried to throw in "Jim Sterling will give me 1 million dollars as a compromise."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Roman Reigns posted:

It's not really people siding with Digital Homicide. It's just that there are other people out there who will also attempt to exploit systems to silence critics. Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit have had plenty of examples in their YouTube careers where they've gotten copyright claims for critical/negative videos they've done. h3h3 Productions is also currently being sued by someone for featuring their content in a negative light. Nintendo forces people into a partner program if you want to make any money off your content that dares to include even a glimpse of their IPs. Jim even refers to the Copyright Deadlock in that last video; A method of deliberately getting attention from multiple companies so they ALL try to file copyright claims, and therefore NOBODY can claim ad revenue. He's even managed to do with with Nintendo... against Nintendo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWenxX__nvw

Holy poo poo phil just CAN'T stop running his mouth. I'm sure he is pushing away more people with the stuff he is saying.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

Holy poo poo phil just CAN'T stop running his mouth. I'm sure he is pushing away more people with the stuff he is saying.

I don't know why Machinima thinks Phil going back to his 10-15 minute length videos is going to do him any good, although i'm not surprised in the slightest that Phil's videos have garbage viewer retention.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It may be due to the Machinima thinking that since his viewer retention is so bad on the longer videos that perhaps people will actually watch the shorter versions instead.
Heck Phil does at least acknowledges that people aren't watching his stuff and went so far as to suggest that it may be due to his format of showing raw video, but then refuses to change the way he does things because although the times changed he refuses to do what most other people
do and actually edit because the raw playthroughs is what put him on the map and what people know him for.

It gets even sillier when he says that the larger youtubers tend to cut out the boring parts and leave the interesting stuff in but that somehow does the game a disservice because you aren't seeing everything the game has to offer.

In short no matter what he does he is going to fail in the long run because he refuses to adapt himself. If anything he should at least try what Machinima recommended and see what that does. I mean they are a large network of youtube gamers and just maybe have an idea of what might work for his
channel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doseku posted:

It gets even sillier when he says that the larger youtubers tend to cut out the boring parts and leave the interesting stuff in but that somehow does the game a disservice because you aren't seeing everything the game has to offer.

He is right about that at least, videos that try to combine "full let's play" and "highlight reel" are really annoying to watch. But that's different than cutting out repetitive stuff which is probably what he meant because he doesn't know what makes something interesting.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 2, 2017

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
When youtube is saying "Phil, your videos aren't enjoyable enough to get people to watch more than 5 minutes of them" and your partner company responds with "well, just make your videos shorter so the percentage looks better", that's just bad advice.

But I guess it's easier for our boy than making good content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Machinima is a bad company that very poorly handles their partnership with their members. See Freeman's Mind creator Ross Scott and how he was unable to move to a new home or make videos for several months because Machinima stymied him by lying about him signing a contract he never even saw, this after rehosting his videos elsewhere without paying him the resulting monetization among other lovely things:

http://www.accursedfarms.com/escape-from-machinima/
http://www.accursedfarms.com/escape-from-machinima-part-2/

You really should read these if you want to know how bad MCNs can be from the perspective of someone who got choked by one! Machinima treats their partners like dirt.

quote:

In June, I was finally given a response from the legal department, which claimed Machinima.com owned all my videos under the US Copyright Act based on a contract from 2011. The problem with this response was I NEVER SIGNED a contract with them from 2011. In fact, I specifically rejected their new contract offer from 2011 because I felt it would take many of my rights away. My contract with them was from 2009 and had some rights protections written into it. I informed them of this, then after a few more emails, their legal department asserted that they did indeed own the rights to my videos based on my 2007 contract. They might have had a valid point, except my 2009 completely replaced my 2007 one. After some more emails, I confirmed that they had actually lost the signed 2009 contract entirely. By their request, I then sent them an unsigned copy of my 2009 contract that I had on hand. At which point, they still did not change their claims about owning all my videos, nor did they address my questions concerning their breach of my contract. They DID ask if I had a signed copy I could produce for them, even though they had (or used to have) the only one in existence.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 2, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Phil is truly hosed. He would be in a much better place, if he just picked up on editing years ago. Sure it would take him a long time to edit the 1st few videos. But after a while. He'd become better at it. I watched his latest video. At one point he says. "Hold on, let me grab this e-mail" and he then spends around 1 minute searching for it. He could'be easily edited that out.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

In other "DSP is hosed" news...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\/\ - Oh God dammit!

Well.....Phil is hosed:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DarkSydePhucked

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So he decided that their idea of him shortening his videos were so horrendous that he had to leave them? Although it's more likely because they aren't being very much help with his current youtube issues.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Doseku posted:

So he decided that their idea of him shortening his videos were so horrendous that he had to leave them? Although it's more likely because they aren't being very much help with his current youtube issues.

More likely what happened is that Machinima dropped him after they found out he said how much he makes (CPM) on a vlog and Phil doesn't want to admit he got fired.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Doseku posted:

Nah, today he was splitting every 10-15 minutes and then claimed that it made more sense because they were "mini-episodes." Then 10 minutes later he was either fired or decided to leave.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I often think of myself as a gently caress up, then I remember how consistently Phil has managed to never make the right decision over the course of several years not a single god drat time, and it honestly makes me feal better. It's astonishing.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Danaru posted:

I often think of myself as a gently caress up, then I remember how consistently Phil has managed to never make the right decision over the course of several years not a single god drat time, and it honestly makes me feal better. It's astonishing.

Sometimes a person's purpose in life is to serve as an example.

That is Phil's purpose. And this is his example.

Don't be DSP.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Wiseblood posted:

In other "DSP is hosed" news...

"No they didn't fire me, I quit!"

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

More likely what happened is that Machinima dropped him after they found out he said how much he makes (CPM) on a vlog and Phil doesn't want to admit he got fired.

Haha, heaven forbid somebody finds out how much Phil makes. Geez, if THAT'S what they dropped him for, how petty. Which if it's in the contract not to disclose that info, then it's in the contract. Just find it hilarious that all these individuals are so afraid of people finding out what they make on YouTube.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

BMS posted:

Haha, heaven forbid somebody finds out how much Phil makes. Geez, if THAT'S what they dropped him for, how petty. Which if it's in the contract not to disclose that info, then it's in the contract.

As far as I'm aware, it's almost always in the contract.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And Machinima are known for being exploitative as gently caress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow, he ran his mouth so much that machinima gave him das boot. I wonder if any other partner companies would actually want him?

I guess he could join Channel Awesome, he and Doug can trade let's play tips :v:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

Wow, he ran his mouth so much that machinima gave him das boot.

:stare: They hit him with an old German submarine? Harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

Wow, he ran his mouth so much that machinima gave him das boot. I wonder if any other partner companies would actually want him?

Phil says he already got another partner on his Twitter, supposedly Screenwave.

• Locked thread