Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the main problem Moonlight has in terms of it having any influence on the industry at all is that, despite the hype and the Oscar win, it's not making any money, which has nothing to do with the Academy and is the only thing that will actually matter in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Ya this part was horrible, uggghhhh

That was on par with the simple-text chat room log thing

Here's the part that kills me

That poo poo you can argue was fantasy

The stuff in this episode actually loving happened

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This'll be my first Sword and Scale episode then - in the meantime, I'm up to 3121 in Prince's discography, and he still hasn't made a mediocre record.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

K. Waste posted:

This'll be my first Sword and Scale episode then - in the meantime, I'm up to 3121 in Prince's discography, and he still hasn't made a mediocre record.

I really like 3121.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

glam rock hamhock posted:

Honestly the main problem Moonlight has in terms of it having any influence on the industry at all is that, despite the hype and the Oscar win, it's not making any money, which has nothing to do with the Academy and is the only thing that will actually matter in the long run.

Plenty of well-remembered and well-regarded movies didn't make much of a financial splash upon release. Not saying that's the case here, but don't discount a movie's legs on the initial box-office numbers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Plus, while the DVD market has kinda tanked, winning Best Picture does tend to do great things for a movie's DVD/VOD numbers. Everybody who didn't see it in theaters is gonna feel like they have to see it now.

The Oscars have been doing pretty well with Best Picture lately. The past four winners have all been really good movies that would be either my first or second pick among the nominees.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 27, 2017

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dissapointed Owl posted:

*tugs collar nervously*

:colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Granted I thought Hell or High Water was one of the most overrated movies of the year, but it definitely didn't deserve original screenplay over Manchester by the Sea, or The Lobster for that matter.

Also if it was gonna get a best supporting actor nomination, it really should've been for Ben Foster, not Jeff Bridges. Ben Foster is just perpetually underappreciated.

HAHW was a really solid, well-made film that couldn't be faulted, but it lacked something for me which would have made it really great which I think Moonlight, Manchester and even LLL (in a different way) had. I think perhaps it's ambition or the degree of risk-taking in the film and the story, which means that when one pulls it off (as the latter 3 do) they achieve greatness (or close to it). HAHW couldn't have been much better than it was, but even at its very best it wasn't quite great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

HAHW was a really solid, well-made film that couldn't be faulted, but it lacked something for me which would have made it really great which I think Moonlight, Manchester and even LLL (in a different way) had. I think perhaps it's ambition or the degree of risk-taking in the film and the story, which means that when one pulls it off (as the latter 3 do) they achieve greatness (or close to it). HAHW couldn't have been much better than it was, but even at its very best it wasn't quite great.

I'm of the opinion that it's a fine movie which only really stands out because they don't make movies like that anymore. If the American Film system didn't suck so bad right now, we'd be getting like ten Hell or High Waters a year.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

On a financial level, an Oscar is about building value for the next film that the Oscar winner makes/stars in. Academy award winning Mahershala Ali's next film will get a few more people into the theater.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Plus, while the DVD market has kinda tanked, winning Best Picture does tend to do great things for a movie's DVD/VOD numbers. Everybody who didn't see it in theaters is gonna feel like they have to see it now.

The Oscars have been doing pretty well with Best Picture lately. The past four winners have all been really good movies that would be either my first or second pick among the nominees.

Yeah I remember Spirited Away being one that only really picked up steam with most people after it got an Oscar.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slugworth posted:

On a financial level, an Oscar is about building value for the next film that the Oscar winner makes/stars in. Academy award winning Mahershala Ali's next film will get a few more people into the theater.

If past trends are any indication it means he gets to be in a superhero movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

He was already the best part of Luke Cage, which I didn't finish.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

weekly font posted:

He was in Luke Cage

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He was already the best part of Luke Cage, which I didn't finish.

Oh poo poo didn't even know he was in it. Now that makes me interested in starting it and not finishing it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I mean he's technically in Hidden Figures which came out after Moonlight and did great box office numbers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Holy poo poo, just when you think Peter Scully is the scum of the Earth, whoa, stop the presses, here comes the fuckin' FBI...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can’t believe that Oscar thing happened

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Someone on twitter was pointing out that all of the producers who get the credit for the best picture award for Moonlight are white, whereas one of the producers of Manchester by the Sea is a black woman, which I feel like is something worth bearing in mind for the "symbolic victory" crowd.

That's odd, the ones that went up on stage were mostly black, as was the guy who gave the speech.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Man I forgot how good American Movie (1999) is. Almost perfect

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's odd, the ones that went up on stage were mostly black, as was the guy who gave the speech.

I assume they brought the whole cast & crew up as they often do but Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner, the three who actually won the award, are all white.

this was the tweet I mentioned that pointed it out:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/836095361907294208

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 27, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

I can’t believe that Oscar thing happened

Steve Harvey is probably feeling really good now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

Man I forgot how good American Movie (1999) is. Almost perfect

Now listen to the commentary with Borchard.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
!!! Didnt know that existed

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I assume they brought the whole cast & crew up as they often do but Adele Romanski, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner, the three who actually won the award, are all white.

this was the tweet I mentioned that pointed it out:

https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/836095361907294208
The Best Picture award goes to producers because not everybody can get an oscar. Nobody with half a pea brain thinks it celebrates anything less than the entire cast and crew. People getting mad need to get hosed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Vegetable posted:

The Best Picture award goes to producers because not everybody can get an oscar. Nobody with half a pea brain thinks it celebrates anything less than the entire cast and crew. People getting mad need to get hosed.

Yeah it's a pretty impressively bad/ignorant take.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I mean, it goes to producers because it's a producer's award. The directors have best director, the actors have best actor, the producers have best picture. These awards all exist primarily to bump up someone's CV.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

weekly font posted:

Oh poo poo didn't even know he was in it. Now that makes me interested in starting it and not finishing it.
This is absolutely the best (only?) way to watch Luke Cage.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Another screengrab.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bows1 posted:

!!! Didnt know that existed

It's rad, it's got the same charm as the film itself where Borchard just defies every opportunity presented to be self absorbed.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's rad, it's got the same charm as the film itself where Borchard just defies every opportunity presented to be self absorbed.

It's amazing how well the movie threads the needle between being too sympathetic or too cruel. I wonder how big an influence it had on all the cringe humor we got in the 2000s — you can draw a pretty direct line, but I guess it's probably mostly Christopher Guest instead

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
so did the oscars cure racism or make it worse?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

so did the oscars cure racism or make it worse?

Like always it did nothing in either direction. I did just read an article on the Boston globe website about how the producer for La La Land that corrected the best picture snafu is a hero and it reads like it's being ironic because of how bad it is but I'm pretty sure it's 100% serious

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

I wonder how big an influence it had on all the cringe humor we got in the 2000s — you can draw a pretty direct line, but I guess it's probably mostly Christopher Guest instead

Speaking of Guest, I was surprised by just how terribly un-funny Mascots was. I mean, I've re-watched Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show recently, and they both hold up, so it's not like I've aged out of the mockumentary style of humor, but holy Moses, everyone in Mascots except Parker Posey, Ed Begley Jr. and John Michael Higgins is absolutely sleepwalking through the entire thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This reminds me of an 80's music video. But I mean that in a good way. Looks dope!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Like always it did nothing in either direction. I did just read an article on the Boston globe website about how the producer for La La Land that corrected the best picture snafu is a hero and it reads like it's being ironic because of how bad it is but I'm pretty sure it's 100% serious

oh my god I have to read this

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh my god I have to read this

quote:

Every generation needs a hero, and, ladies and gentlemen, 36-year-old “La La Land” producer Jordan Horowitz might just be ours.

Horowitz was just doing his job, accepting an Oscar for the film he produced, when an opportunity for greatness was thrust upon him. After giving an acceptance speech, he realized there had been a huge gaffe: “Moonlight” was the real winner.

Speaking truth to power, the man walked right up to the mic as soon as he understood what had happened and let the Academy, Hollywood stars, and the world, have it:

“Guys, guys, I’m sorry, there’s a mistake,” he said. “‘Moonlight,’ you guys won best picture. This is not a joke. ‘Moonlight’ has won best picture.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mo...tIJI/story.html

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah that's heroic as gently caress

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Brb working on a screenplay about this hero.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That man was later executed by the La-La-stapo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/spacecoyotl/status/836291524962856960

• Locked thread