Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
We made ours out of PEX water pipe, because it happened to be available in sizes that fit our fingers perfectly. Might go tungsten carbide in the future, but not sure, I like that it's easily replaceable, nonconductive, and not brittle *or* ductile/metallic, I can safely work on high current electrical stuff and mechanical things without worrying about shorting something out with it or getting it crushed onto my finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

monsterzero posted:

Ugh, rings. I don't wear any jewelry or even a watch so I'm kind of dreading wearing a wedding ring. I've looked at about a thousand in catalogs but they're all pretty meh, but I don't think I'd be excited about a ring unless it was machined from a Honda RC166 conrod or something. Fiancé says I don't need a ring, but I know she wants me to wear one. :shrug:

Check out Etsy, lots of jewelers there (not just Aliexpress resellers) and they're make you just about anything you want for not too much money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kastein posted:

We made ours out of PEX water pipe, because it happened to be available in sizes that fit our fingers perfectly. Might go tungsten carbide in the future, but not sure, I like that it's easily replaceable, nonconductive, and not brittle *or* ductile/metallic, I can safely work on high current electrical stuff and mechanical things without worrying about shorting something out with it or getting it crushed onto my finger.

this is the most ken stein thing i've ever read

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Woke up on Sunday expecting a day of house hold chores, errands, and finishing painting our bedroom. Instead, we got surprise baby. She's three weeks early, but healthy. Wife is doing good. Now... to decide on a name.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 27, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

this is the most ken stein thing i've ever read

lol.

Mine is plain brushed titanium (Ti64), I love how light it is because I too do not like wearing jewelry. It's a bit more...brushed now.

Edit: Grats spyder!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

the spyder posted:

Now... to decide on a name.

Spydressa
Spyderette
Spyderene
Spyderita

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Arex Seven

E: Congrats, spyder

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 27, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

Arex Seven

Congrats the spyder!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

A buddy of mine wears a silicone wedding ring to the hackerspace for electrocuty-crushy reasons. I just take my ring off and put it in my back pocket if I'm going to do something risky.

Edit! Hooray for the little spydeling!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

the spyder posted:

Woke up on Sunday expecting a day of house hold chores, errands, and finishing painting our bedroom. Instead, we got surprise baby. She's three weeks early, but healthy. Wife is doing good. Now... to decide on a name.

Congrats mr spyder!

Spyder -> Black Widow -> Natasha

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 27, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

monsterzero posted:

. I've looked at about a thousand in catalogs but they're all pretty meh, but I don't think I'd be excited about a ring unless it was machined from a Honda RC166 conrod or something.

You realise that you've answered your own problem there.

the spyder posted:

Congrats.

I vote for 'GTI' as a middle name.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
A) Congrats Spyder

B) My engagement ring is tungsten and my wedding ring is silver. Guess which one I actually wear? :ssh: It's the one that doesn't turn my finger green. I do take it off if I'm working with power tools or electricity because I like having ten fingers, but it's definitely one of the best materials for a ring. It was also cheap-as-chips but looks amazing. I think we paid $35 and I get a surprising number of comments on it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats spyder!

I have a silicone wedding band. It's very comfortable, besides the HV safety. I wear it all year; I don't think there's any way I could go to a metal ring.

Edit: literally LOLing at the ken PEX wedding band

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep-beep car is go posted:

What's this? I have developed contact dermatitis with my wedding ring, so I have a big gnarly scar where the ring used to be. I'd love to do something to it to be able to wear it again.

Fun fact: Palladium is NOT hypoallergenic.

The local high end car dealer offers a variety of automotive coatings like ceramic and glass coatings. For a few bucks they do jewelry as well.

the spyder posted:

Aw yeah baby!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

angryrobots posted:

Congrats spyder!

I have a silicone wedding band. It's very comfortable, besides the HV safety. I wear it all year; I don't think there's any way I could go to a metal ring.

You can get very good looking wooden rings, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I looked at all sorts of fancy "man" rings :quagmire: with weird and fancy materials but they were universally terrible to actually wear. If I'd have known how easy it is to turn a coin into a ring I'd have made my own.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Congrats on the kidlet!

Place your bets, will her first word be "RX7", "wankel", or "rotary"?

angryrobots posted:

Congrats spyder!

It wasn't even my idea :v: My plan was always to cast some myself, but then I accidentally met The One and ended up living with her, engaged, and married before I could find a way to hide a metal casting operation, which is difficult when you have no walls.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Congrats, spyder!

monsterzero posted:

Ugh, rings. I don't wear any jewelry or even a watch so I'm kind of dreading wearing a wedding ring. I've looked at about a thousand in catalogs but they're all pretty meh, but I don't think I'd be excited about a ring unless it was machined from a Honda RC166 conrod or something. Fiancé says I don't need a ring, but I know she wants me to wear one. :shrug:

Felt exactly the same way. Told wife I didn't want a ring. Got couped by my MiL (I can't tell if that was a very cunning or very oblivious move) and now I have a ring. Compromise ended up being that I'll wear it on special occasions. So on date nights, when the suit comes out etc. I'll put it on and endure; the rest of the time it sits in the drawer.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Gratz baby

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Congrats on the kidlet!

Place your bets, will her first word be "RX7", "wankel", or "rotary"?

"Braaaap"

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

You realise that you've answered your own problem there.

If I could get ahold of 60s Honda GP bike parts, I would spend that money to buy a house and retire instead. J/k, I would buy the parts and she would divorce me.

bolind posted:

Compromise ended up being that I'll wear it on special occasions. So on date nights, when the suit comes out etc. I'll put it on and endure; the rest of the time it sits in the drawer.

That is my future. I'll probably end up ordering something inexpensive and wearing it for occasions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AWWWW YISSSSS

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Finally, some happy news from Rhyno! :buddy::respek::buddy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Retail therapy!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It really ties the room together.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There is only one suitable ring. Plain gold in the style of the One Ring, with no inscription. Heavy and understated.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

KozmoNaut posted:

There is only one suitable ring. Plain gold in the style of the One Ring, with no inscription. Heavy and understated.

That's what this hairy goon's got. Wife's is similar, but thinner. Traditional AF 18K. Also we eloped.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If I'd known about carbide rings when I got married I would have went for that for sure. Buddy of mine has one and he loves it because he can open bottles with it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went with black zirconium with an orange enamel inlay, because it reminds me of KTM.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I got some custom designed rings. Would recommend.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

Electric. So far I haven't found a plumber that would do it for less than Lowe's is quoting, but either way the installation costs as much as the water heater itself. Sort of typical anymore I guess. At least they guarantee it for 6 years and don't charge extra for doing it on a Sunday.

Even if I waited until Monday the cost from even a little local plumber here was over $100 more than Lowes price, which sort of sucks because I'd prefer to support the little local guy.

E: ^^^ The inlet and outlet pipes are stubbed out in copper, but then use a threaded at each end flex line that is easily replaced between the copper and the water heater. The pressure release on the other hand comes out the top, makes a 90 degree turn, makes a 45 degree turn off to the side, then makes 2 more 90's into the wall with another odd angle in between just to keep it interesting. With a new water heater with that fitting on the side, I'm thinking that I'll have them solder a threaded fitting onto the copper coming out of the wall and run a flex line just like the other two so that if I'm still here in 10 or so years when this one fails I can replace it much easier myself if I want to.

Lowes, at least here, contracts it to a local plumber, though not "the little guy."

FWIW, copper soldering is pretty easy (I learned how from kastein's video, no poo poo,) and ideally, that line is a dry line unless/until something goes wrong.

Now my water heater is gas, and had to be brought up to code, since the old one had been in there since the '70s, so the install ended up being more than the water heater itself ($2400 total including the water heater). The had to bring the gas line out further, so one could easily reach the valve, swap the valve to one that can be shut off by hand, and minimize the flex line to the heater. They also had to add the drip pan, pressure relief, and, since the damned thing is nowhere near an outside wall or drain, a water sensor and electric shutoff for the supply.
On the plus side, way more efficient, probably more water capacity thanks to lack of sediment, and there was no shutoff at all except the whole house cutoff at the street previously.

monsterzero posted:

Get a ring in something more interesting than gold. Mine's tungsten-carbide. You can also get titanium and carbon fibers, among other things. Best part is, this stuff is cheaper (and more durable) than gold or silver! Titanium is tough but still scratches pretty easily - you'll have to keep it polished. Tungsten carbide is tough and scratch-resistant, and I like the "smoked chrome" appearance. The odd metal rings do come in simple bands, but also come in more interesting designs, too. Mine has beveled edges, and a groove with a stainless steel insert under clear epoxy or something like that. It's proved to be sturdy.
It's this one: http://www.tungstenfashions.com/Dragon-Lucky-8-Beveled-Tungsten-Carbide-Ring-8mm_p_128.html#.WLSIUxLyvUI

Prices are all over the place. I think we paid close to the $50 in that link, possibly less, and my wife has a matching, smaller-sized one.

edit: oh, hey Spyder - congrats!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

LloydDobler posted:

If I'd known about carbide rings when I got married I would have went for that for sure. Buddy of mine has one and he loves it because he can open bottles with it.

We actually had the traditional plain gold bands originally. My wife actually wanted the "more interesting" rings later. I may have put the idea in her head by looking at them online (I was thinking about wearing one on the other hand), but it was all her idea to replace the wedding bands. This ring, and my one earring are literally the only jewelry I wear.

edit: http://www.tungstenfashions.com/gold-lord-of-the-rings-tungsten-ring.html#.WLSK0BLyvUI

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

the spyder posted:

Boost in, babby out?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Unlikely. Rotaries are excellent contraceptives.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Congrats spyder, thats a cutie!

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Congrats Spyder!

Cheap hidden weddings aren't really an option, the missus wants a proper one and I agree. It's just once you get looking things it soon snowballs. We won't do anything we can't afford through saving though.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ring chat: mine is titanium. Makes teaching Science fun AND it can scratch the poo poo out of everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

Ring chat: mine is titanium. Makes teaching Science fun AND it can scratch the poo poo out of everything.

I was surprised at how easy i was to scratch, itself. I was having to polish my titanium ring as much as my gold one, seemed like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

I got some custom designed rings. Would recommend.

I bought my wife a custom designed wedding ring. After 13 years, it went into the shop a couple weeks ago because a prong broke. We got a call on Saturday that they'd have to send it to a jeweler down in LA that specializes in repairing super weird fractures with a "laser." Not even sure what that's gonna cost yet, but it sounds super loving expensive. Apparently, if it was anything other than platinum, it would have been unsalvageable.

edit:

QuarkMartial posted:

Both of mine are titanium. I still have the original in my wife's jewelry box from when I was pushing 300 lbs. I'm since down to 190-200, as a result my finger isn't a sausage. Since titanium can't be re-sized, I could either send that ring in and $50 whereas they'd give me one that fit or I could just buy the exact same one in a smaller size which I did so that if my finger goes either direction, I can just ante up $50 and go from there whereas I still have my original.

keykey fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 27, 2017

• Locked thread