Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hybrid is also acceptable for builds that don't naturally leech like totems or summons, especially for budget build or league starters. Your ES keeps you from getting one-shot and you can use flasks for life sustain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

MannersPlease posted:

Witches will most likely want to make sure they try to prioritize life on jewels (7% max possible). I believe witch start has 20% life, templar start+devotion has another 40, quick recovery has 15%, the life/es hybird above shadow has 20%,, shadow start has 20%.

That's 115% right there, the scion life square has 50%, and you can probably get 6-7 jewel sockets as well, giving you another 50 potential. 215% potential total?

So a generic witch caster can reasonably get 150% with jewels, and approach 200% as you get close to level 90. ES is going to be easier though. Post your tree and what you want to accomplish (example: I want to play a life based witch killing mobs with ele hit, and also get 2 curses) and people around here can give you some more targeted advice.

Witch is also very close to mind over matter, which is a decent option to replace some of your life pool, especially if you are using warlord's mark or some other form of mana leech.

I'm wanting to do an essence drain / contagion / wither totem / blasphemy curse setup. My plan is 2 curses, so i'm going for whispers of doom.

I read somewhere that most builds should be planned for 60-70 skill points, since thats where most builds get to, so thats how many skill points I allocated.

Also, I don't actually know how jewels work, so I didn't allocate for any of those.

Here's the build

Thanks!

Edit: I took some advice in the thread and got out of as many ES nodes as possible, went up to 80 skill points and took some extra life nodes. I'm at 154% life now!

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 27, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I usually like 80-90, that puts you at 60-70 with all skill point quests and ready to start mapping. Jewels are good sources of certain stats (%life, resists, damage, etc) but I usually don't pick them up unless necessary until the 70s/80s since you need to buy them and I'd rather buy basic gear first

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'd definitely plan for 90 or so, even if you stop playing at maps you'll probably get that far since level 70 is quite trivial to reach. Personally I plan up to ~110 because I know I'll get to around level 90, +/- a couple levels.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Lechtansi posted:

I'm wanting to do an essence drain / contagion / wither totem / blasphemy curse setup. My plan is 2 curses, so i'm going for whispers of doom.

I read somewhere that most builds should be planned for 60-70 skill points, since thats where most builds get to, so thats how many skill points I allocated.

Also, I don't actually know how jewels work, so I didn't allocate for any of those.

Here's the build

Thanks!

Edit: I took some advice in the thread and got out of as many ES nodes as possible, went up to 80 skill points and took some extra life nodes. I'm at 154% life now!

This should get you to right around the start of mapping. Trickery is a poor choice since your damage is mostly from DoT, which means crit is pointless. To really boost ED damage, take the 2 points for Sniper and 5 points to get all the pierce chance in the Piercing Shots cluster. Pair that with the Pierce node (which you should anyway since it's a More damage multiplier) for a huge QoL boost.

This setup actually lets you apply 3 curses thanks to Malediction; you can either invest in reduced mana reservation (or luck out/get enough currency to get a Heretic's Veil) to squeeze a 3rd Blasphemy curse or put one curse on a CwDT setup. Your 3 curses should be Temporal Chains/Enfeeble/Vulnerability, in that order of importance.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

whypick1 posted:

This should get you to right around the start of mapping. Trickery is a poor choice since your damage is mostly from DoT, which means crit is pointless. To really boost ED damage, take the 2 points for Sniper and 5 points to get all the pierce chance in the Piercing Shots cluster. Pair that with the Pierce node (which you should anyway since it's a More damage multiplier) for a huge QoL boost.

This setup actually lets you apply 3 curses thanks to Malediction; you can either invest in reduced mana reservation (or luck out/get enough currency to get a Heretic's Veil) to squeeze a 3rd Blasphemy curse or put one curse on a CwDT setup. Your 3 curses should be Temporal Chains/Enfeeble/Vulnerability, in that order of importance.

Cool, thanks for all the advice! Would you recommend that I do pierce in the skill tree as opposed to in a skill gem? My ED setup was going to be ED + Pierce + Contained Destruction + Void Manipulation + Rapid Decay + Slow Projectiles. I guess by the time I got to pierce in the skill tree I would be able to take it out of my link setup and put something else in there.

As for CwDT, I already have that in my setup for Flame Golem + Immortal Call, so I'll put vulnerability on there.

Edit: I just noticed that the build has 179% life. Is that too much? Should I spec out of some life and into more DPS?

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 27, 2017

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Lechtansi posted:

Edit: I just noticed that the build has 179% life. Is that too much? Should I spec out of some life and into more DPS?

There's no such thing as too much life.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

100% pierce is a good thing. Help clear trash a lot easier and as I said, the gem is a nice More damage multiplier.

"Too much life" is really only a thing if you're going CI, because duh. Your DPS tends to go to poo poo when you're dead.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Awesome! posted:

well thats the best helmet ive ever found

This is a mediocre chest actually

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

BitterAvatar posted:

Are Righteous Fire builds fairly dependent on rare uniques? It seems like a lot of fun running around just burning stuff, but if I'm starting a fresh league not sure how viable that is right away.

As already said it really only needs Rise of the Phoenix which is cheap but drops late so leveling can be a bitch without respecing because you want to get a lot of life and don't really have many options for damage in the tree.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/vinnytk/characters LamentablRighteousFire for a build I did last league. I respeced out of Chieftain because it didn't seem worth it. Jugg just feels better with unstoppable and the fort/endurance charge buffs.

The build has a lot of room for growth through the league with opal rings and koam's heart and a marble amulet so you can drop a lot of currency into it. According to Path of Building I was doing around 270k DPS. Also I think Doryani's Catalyst is best in slot weapon, must of took it off him for a separate build (edit: just ran the numbers, Doon's ties Doryani's in damage at around 600 strength plus you get more life anyways so Doon's is probably better, it is also cheap as hell).

That said I'm trying to figure out a Zerker RF build (I love that 40%....) that would have a SR CoC Flame Surge to make use of the leech.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 27, 2017

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Seems like you are moving in the right direction, so I'll focus on this:

Lechtansi posted:

Jewel sockets are generally strong nodes: It's not too hard to get 4-5 jewels with a "2 point" investment, and many builds can get a few more with "3 point investment" per jewel socket. In the tree whypicck1 just posted, you can see there are a number of sockets to take. You can get the sockets by 'melding' and 'quick recovery' (the life/es and life/mana nodes to the left and right of the witch start) for 3 points, which is amazing value. You can also get the socket directly above the witch start for another 2 points - also value. The nodes left of the scion life square, right of shadow start, and inside the scion start are all 3 points to get - these you might pick up eventually, if you have managed to acquire some jewels with more optimal rolls.

You generally do have to buy jewels, but with a quick poe.trade setup you can very easily aquire 2-3 mod jewels for your build for fairly reasonable prices. It's not too hard to get life% with either proj damage, damage, chaos damage, or damage over time. using a 2 mod jewel like that is already worth it, since life is hard to come by on the tree, and a 2 mod jewel for 2 skill points is basically like 2 normal nodes +10 free stats. It's really not too hard to get a 3 mod jewel as well, making them even better. They are also great to have because they can give you other flexible benefits (+10 all resist, + stats) that can make gearing up your basic mapping gear and gems much easier.

To get such jewels, setup a search similar to this:

http://poe.trade/search/ammiaritiharik

The first mod group garuntees you get life
the second mod group garuntees that you get at least 1 useful damage mod as well
I also added in a 5c maximum price, then hit search. I would then hit 'run live search' as I am playing, and the browser will play a sound alerting me if a desirable jewel shows up.

You adjust these values as you see fit to see what's out there and to adjust to your needs, but you can very easily acquire jewels that are both cheap and efficient in a new league this way. You can also add other options to fill in other needs your character has - there is a list of all the mods that apply to jewels if you ever get curious.

I usually search for jewels with Life/es, 1 damage mod, and 8-10 resist all in new leagues, and usually get 4-5 of them very easily over the first week.

A side note: I didn't look very closely at the tree and I've never played ED myself, so I can't comment much on the tree overall - but I would recommend picking up the flask nodes in the witch start for any character that goes by them, such as this one. Flasks are super strong for anyone, and those 3 points give you a noticeable boost to them.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 27, 2017

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You can get too much life if you're sacrificing too much for more life. But if you have to ask if you're getting too much life, then no you're probably not. 200-220% life before Jewel sockets is a perfectly reasonable amount. 260% is too much.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I'm pretty excited to combine my divination card tabs in an hour or so.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ultima66 posted:

You can get too much life if you're sacrificing too much for more life. But if you have to ask if you're getting too much life, then no you're probably not. 200-220% life before Jewel sockets is a perfectly reasonable amount. 260% is too much.
here is the correct amount of life to have at level 60

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Not good enough.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I said at 60! :argh:

I also like the ambitious pick of MoM/EB to go with Blood Magic.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
This is really awesome, I feel like I'm finally starting to get a hang of this loving sphere grid.

As for leveling this thing, I'm assuming that I should start with everything near the witch starter, then go over to Whispers of Doom, then Scion Life, then Atrophy, then over to the shadow starter stuff like Pierce node, then Jewels.

How does that sound?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The irony here is that if you drop everything past Juggernaut and the Duelist starting area that's approximately what all my marauder trees look like at lvl 60 because I always get the life nodes before I get any damage.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

whydirt posted:

Hybrid is also acceptable for builds that don't naturally leech like totems or summons, especially for budget build or league starters. Your ES keeps you from getting one-shot and you can use flasks for life sustain.

Exactly. EB + MoM + ZO keeps up with giant mana costs and gives you a nice buffer with MoM.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

theshim posted:

I said at 60! :argh:

I also like the ambitious pick of MoM/EB to go with Blood Magic.

No half measures.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

whypick1 posted:

In order to not burn to a crisp in a half second you need to up your max fire res and/or out-regen the degen. Rise of the Phoenix takes care of the fire res, but it's level 65. It's not expensive, but not somthing you'd pick up day 1.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/whypick1/characters

RichardPryorImpression was the dude I ran in Prophecy (just before Unrelenting got nerfed). Kaom's Way is where a good chunk of my regen comes from, since I'm at 10 endurance charges 99% of the time (that other 1% would be the period between "EXPLOSION!!!111" and "leech from Warlord's Mark"/"something just hit me"). Even with all of this I was slowed down a bit by Hexproof (just had to spam Enduring Cry more) and Vulnerability (had to be very selective about RF there because that would cause me to lose life) maps.

You can do ok with RF pretty soon out of the gate so long as you are on top of your potions. I leveled as rf/flame surge in hc prophecy starting as soon as I had a dousing flask, ruby flask and an overflowing chalice. The clearspeed is quite nice and the playstyle is different than pretty much anything else you could level with.

Chalice is super common and basically no one wants it even at league start, so you can probably get one like day 2 for pocket change. Managing potion charges with it is like its own little minigame as well.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Siege Axe is going from 32-59 physical damage to 38-70. A perfect legacy soultaker will clock in at 415 physical damage per second. A non legacy perfect soultaker goes from 297 pdps to 337.

Yay numbers.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats the laziest build? I have a 80s lvl witch and templar to completely respecc. No flasks, minimal clicking. Preferably cheap.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Abberath's Hooves + Vaal Righteous Fire, you can use Shield Charge to move faster if you want, otherwise you just walk around and everything dies. Then use VRF on the boss to 1shot it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

ButtWolf posted:

Whats the laziest build? I have a 80s lvl witch and templar to completely respecc. No flasks, minimal clicking. Preferably cheap.

Laziest build i can find.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Laziest build I've done is PizzaSticks (Flameblast Totem Hierophant). Drop 4 totems, run around as they re-enact the 1812 Overture and everything dies.

Even lazier would probably be Necromancer aurabot that uses Animated Weapon and that Chayula sword that grants the super OP aura.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

whypick1 posted:

Laziest build I've done is PizzaSticks (Flameblast Totem Hierophant). Drop 4 totems, run around as they re-enact the 1812 Overture and everything dies.

I did that, it's good but guardians aren't going to be fun. Easy 110+ atlas clear

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Okay, now what's the least lazy build? :colbert:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Basic attack melee

J
Jun 10, 2001

CuddlyZombie posted:

If you mismanage your flasks and don't keep them up you just kill yourself

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

I retract my answer in lieu of the above.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whypick1 posted:

Even lazier would probably be Necromancer aurabot that uses Animated Weapon and that Chayula sword that grants the super OP aura.

that's pretty futsy compared to golemancy, keeping weapons going is kinda annoying outside of breaches. Golems can get the same sort of buffs but you can just run around while they do all the work for you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How long does it take until characters become available again once a league ends? I have a very successful necromancer going in Breach and I'd like to keep playing it in Standard.

The build is a pretty basic zombies/specters/skeletons/raging spirits build with auras. Basically just a swarm of summons pumped up with Wrath for damage and Discipline, which is mostly for me. The rest of my points are largely in building up my energy shield.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Amazing. :sbahj:

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Can you make a Shaper-viable Cospri's/Heretic's build? Maybe Assassin cyclone, or Raider?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

How long does it take until characters become available again once a league ends? I have a very successful necromancer going in Breach and I'd like to keep playing it in Standard.

The build is a pretty basic zombies/specters/skeletons/raging spirits build with auras. Basically just a swarm of summons pumped up with Wrath for damage and Discipline, which is mostly for me. The rest of my points are largely in building up my energy shield.

Transition shouldn't take more than an hour I'd think. I imagine they'll give an ETA when they take everything offline at Breach end.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

whypick1 posted:

Transition shouldn't take more than an hour I'd think. I imagine they'll give an ETA when they take everything offline at Breach end.

I remember one league it took like 10-15 minutes.

also fau, get in guild

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

funmanguy posted:

I remember one league it took like 10-15 minutes.

also fau, get in guild
I just started playing like a week ago and I mostly play around 4-6 a.m. Pacific.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

Can you make a Shaper-viable Cospri's/Heretic's build? Maybe Assassin cyclone, or Raider?

Yeah it's called King of the Forest and it's one of the best builds right now. Heretic's doesn't really give you any benefit though and you should use a rare hat or one of the crit evasion uniques.

To be honest Heretic's is only particularly useful if you're low life and trying to cram in as many mana reservations as possible into your build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
When the new league starts it will be pretty useful to be in the guild. Even if you play at weird hours, when a league starts there are always a bunch of goons on.

• Locked thread