Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hello? Yeah my window isnt working right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Uh, aren't you only supposed to approach the front of a jet engine if it's been tagged so you can tell if it starts rotating in the wind or something?

I thought it was lock out tag out, so you shouldn't approach it if it is?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is hypnotizing.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

hey Joey we're just gonna bring part of the ocean right into the boat you try to grab a fish out ok?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

This is the worst submarine I've ever worked on!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I thought it was lock out tag out, so you shouldn't approach it if it is?
I think they put a lock out tag in the cockpit so the pilots know not to do anything. As far as wind spinning turbines, does not matter. I walk in front of and behind the things all day. As long as the engine is off just wind turning a turbine isn't going to do poo poo. Even if the winds are strong enough to force the tailfin into a hard angle.

Not much going on lately at my work. The guy who crashed a tanker and overrode the interlock to continue driving around while leaking flaming jet fuel got fired... but... only after he crashed another brand new tanker a week later. Couldn't believe it myself, both how he crashed or that he was allowed to drive a tanker again. Ran straight into a loving k-barrier. No blindspot, no turning radius shenanigans. Drove straight into a stationary object.

I've seen bags and baggage containers dropped in the middle of the road, but how the gently caress did someone not notice a full pallet the size of a car coming off? It's a calm, clear day too like seriously.

Here's where one of our fuelers on tanker crashed into another fueler driving a tug + cart. Still not sure how they both went full-on braindead at once but they sure did drive right into each other.

This guy was a jerk for no reason, he parked right in my way as I was positioning around a fuel pit. I decided to be a jerk too and make him wait for me.

Here's an airplane traffic jam. No OSHA in this image, but funny thing later that night for complicated reasons I wound up driving my tanker on this same taxiway. I really, really didn't want to because planes taxi at like 30-40mph and some of them go as fast as 60, I'm a tanker full of jet fuel and I can only go 20mph. The taxiway is for airplanes I shouldn't be driving there. The fire marshall insisted because he was getting impatient after some idiot at gate security gave me trouble.

Not much to see here either but a funny memory for me. All I wanted was a ride from a co-worker to get across the taxiway so I could go home. He broke down immediately, mechanics game and fixed the starter plug which had died. Drove 3 feet, broke down again. Multiple issues. Ultimately they were trying to tow us but we couldn't cross the taxiway because the transmission was broke and the engine was in neutral and not building air pressure for the brakes. The failsafe when there is no air pressure uses mechanical brakes (to prevent the vehicle from moving should all the air pressure leak away.) Problem is there is no way to override the failsafe which meant at any moment as the air pressure (which leaks badly on all of these hydrants) was going to dip so low the failsafe would kick and we didn't want that to happen as we were crossing the taxiway. The mechanics couldn't figure a way to override the failsafe so we just had to ditch the vehicle until they could get a full-sized tow platform to get it across the taxiway.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nearer my God to thee
Nearer to thee...

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

flosofl posted:

This is hypnotizing.

What on Earth is the backstory there? :stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sanctum posted:

I think they put a lock out tag in the cockpit so the pilots know not to do anything. As far as wind spinning turbines, does not matter. I walk in front of and behind the things all day. As long as the engine is off just wind turning a turbine isn't going to do poo poo. Even if the winds are strong enough to force the tailfin into a hard angle.

Not much going on lately at my work. The guy who crashed a tanker and overrode the interlock to continue driving around while leaking flaming jet fuel got fired... but... only after he crashed another brand new tanker a week later. Couldn't believe it myself, both how he crashed or that he was allowed to drive a tanker again. Ran straight into a loving k-barrier. No blindspot, no turning radius shenanigans. Drove straight into a stationary object.

I've seen bags and baggage containers dropped in the middle of the road, but how the gently caress did someone not notice a full pallet the size of a car coming off? It's a calm, clear day too like seriously.

Here's where one of our fuelers on tanker crashed into another fueler driving a tug + cart. Still not sure how they both went full-on braindead at once but they sure did drive right into each other.

This guy was a jerk for no reason, he parked right in my way as I was positioning around a fuel pit. I decided to be a jerk too and make him wait for me.

Here's an airplane traffic jam. No OSHA in this image, but funny thing later that night for complicated reasons I wound up driving my tanker on this same taxiway. I really, really didn't want to because planes taxi at like 30-40mph and some of them go as fast as 60, I'm a tanker full of jet fuel and I can only go 20mph. The taxiway is for airplanes I shouldn't be driving there. The fire marshall insisted because he was getting impatient after some idiot at gate security gave me trouble.

Not much to see here either but a funny memory for me. All I wanted was a ride from a co-worker to get across the taxiway so I could go home. He broke down immediately, mechanics game and fixed the starter plug which had died. Drove 3 feet, broke down again. Multiple issues. Ultimately they were trying to tow us but we couldn't cross the taxiway because the transmission was broke and the engine was in neutral and not building air pressure for the brakes. The failsafe when there is no air pressure uses mechanical brakes (to prevent the vehicle from moving should all the air pressure leak away.) Problem is there is no way to override the failsafe which meant at any moment as the air pressure (which leaks badly on all of these hydrants) was going to dip so low the failsafe would kick and we didn't want that to happen as we were crossing the taxiway. The mechanics couldn't figure a way to override the failsafe so we just had to ditch the vehicle until they could get a full-sized tow platform to get it across the taxiway.

This is what it's like working at an airport. It's like I'm loving there, again.

Also, jet engines won't start without the APU or a start cart running, which are hilariously obvious, so a lockout procedure isn't really needed. If he's speedtaping something, he also (hopefully) hasn't signed the airworthiness release, so the flight crew isn't going to do poo poo more than a walk around and make some coffee.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Deptfordx posted:

Don't buy the cheapest cruise ticket.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Is he sorting lbait from a tank? He seems to have a cleaver but I don't really see why that would be located there?

Any kind of rough sea fishing is terrifying work though. Watch some of the earlier deadliest catch seasons where people just get creamed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Deptfordx posted:

Longline fishing in rough seas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBkpKqyARg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I thought the concept of 'boat' relied on keeping the sea outside the boat, looks like I was wrong all this time

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sooooooo. Having tons of sea water sloshing around inside your boat. I would have thought that was bad?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The man is actually standing on the top deck, That window is in the superstructure. Most of the water rolls right back off.

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnderstatedViciousBaboon.mp4

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Sooooooo. Having tons of sea water sloshing around inside your boat. I would have thought that was bad?

Water can get on a boat, it's only a problem if it doesn't have a way off the boat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

it's almost as though a WW2-era amphibious landing craft doesn't meet modern safety standards and is a poor design for a tour bus in the first place

Most Ducks aren't original WW2 landing craft. I know all of the ones in Boston are just modern reproductions that resemble them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Deptfordx posted:

Water on a boat is always a concern, it's why you make big holes at sea level to let the water out!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

The man is actually standing on the top deck, That window is in the superstructure. Most of the water rolls right back off.

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnderstatedViciousBaboon.mp4

There's no way that's safe.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

There's no way that's safe.

That's racing nightmare fuel. I do amateur racing sometimes and that's what scares drivers. At some point if you race long enough, you'll crash. I've done it at 110 mph into a wall. And it hurt, but my worst injury was a slightly sprained ankle, and a mass of bruises on my chest. You have a roll cage around you, a five or six point harness around you, a HANS device to keep your neck from flopping around and lots of crumple zone. Some crashes can be worse than others, like being t-boned or rolling in an open cockpit, but you generally have a lot of safety stuff around you. But with any crash at speed, your brain is gonna bounce around a little and you may need a second to kind of mentally reboot. It's like being dazed after a football tackle.

Which is a nightmare if there is fire. It doesn't take fire a long time to get out of hand and while Nomex is great, it doesn't buy you forever. Getting a five or six point racing harness undone is designed to be pretty easy. It's a big button in the center for this very reason. But when you're groggy or concussed, and panicking because "Fire, oh god fire, fire, fire" is running through your head, everything gets harder.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

chitoryu12 posted:

Most Ducks aren't original WW2 landing craft. I know all of the ones in Boston are just modern reproductions that resemble them.

According to the wiki, Boston Ducks retired the last actual WWII production DUKW in 2014.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Those things were built to loving last. I remember way back in this thread or a previous one someone posted pictures of a collision between a duck and a normal bus. The duck had a few scrapes and dents and the bus was completely smashed in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

haveblue posted:

Those things were built to loving last. I remember way back in this thread or a previous one someone posted pictures of a collision between a duck and a normal bus. The duck had a few scrapes and dents and the bus was completely smashed in.

The relative poor quality of materials modeling back in the day meant that most things were significantly overengineered.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Deptfordx posted:

It can be fatal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV_Gaul

AmmoniumAcetate
Sep 23, 2003
Don't mess with Earth

Thomamelas posted:

That's racing nightmare fuel. I do amateur racing sometimes and that's what scares drivers. At some point if you race long enough, you'll crash. I've done it at 110 mph into a wall. And it hurt, but my worst injury was a slightly sprained ankle, and a mass of bruises on my chest. You have a roll cage around you, a five or six point harness around you, a HANS device to keep your neck from flopping around and lots of crumple zone. Some crashes can be worse than others, like being t-boned or rolling in an open cockpit, but you generally have a lot of safety stuff around you. But with any crash at speed, your brain is gonna bounce around a little and you may need a second to kind of mentally reboot. It's like being dazed after a football tackle.

Which is a nightmare if there is fire. It doesn't take fire a long time to get out of hand and while Nomex is great, it doesn't buy you forever. Getting a five or six point racing harness undone is designed to be pretty easy. It's a big button in the center for this very reason. But when you're groggy or concussed, and panicking because "Fire, oh god fire, fire, fire" is running through your head, everything gets harder.

I was under the impression that since the suits are fire proof enough to keep you safe, in theory, until you or somebody else could pull you out of the car, the danger was in the fire just eating all of the oxygen while you suffocate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

Water on a boat is always a concern, it's why you make big holes at sea level to let the water out!

Oh Yeah, I read about those, 'Speed Holes'.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Oh Yeah, I read about those, 'Speed Holes'.

Sometimes the nice people of the neighboring navy helps you with this process, even making some holes under the main belt for faster water transfer! See "Jutland" for more details!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

I was under the impression that since the suits are fire proof enough to keep you safe, in theory, until you or somebody else could pull you out of the car, the danger was in the fire just eating all of the oxygen while you suffocate.

I looked up fire suit ratings as they pertained to the ones worn in racing, protection ranges from 3 to 40 seconds.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Thomamelas posted:

Hi fellow goon racer.
Former weekend racer here and I totally agree. I've also taken a few hard hits. Raced WKA karts and Pro Trucks in a NASCAR weekly series, think of Late Models with fiberglass pickup bodies. Lots of bumps and bruises and a concussion or two. Worst was racing karts though, I flipped and cracked two vertebra.

AmmoniumAcetate posted:

They aren't exactly fireproof, I mean, they are flame retardant, so they're less likely to actually burn, but what they really do is slow the transition of heat from the fire to your skin. Basically, you're wearing insulation. It's not the actual flames that burn you most of the time, it's the air. Eventually the air next to your skin heats up to the point where it will burn you. Even a good fire suit is only going to buy you about 40 seconds till you start suffering 2nd degree burns, maybe a little more if you have extra protection like nomex undergarments, ext. Of course, not every inch of your body is equally protected. Hands, neck, feet and face are all areas where you're going to feel the burn first. A lot of cars also have a built in fire suppression system, which is basically a fire extinguisher connected to some piping an nozzles that spray the flame retardant stuff around the cockpit, and a safety pinned plunger within the drivers reach to trigger it.

I've never been stuck in a burning car, but I have crashed a car that caught fire. Luckily, it wasn't a super hard hit, and I had enough wits about me to unbuckle and tumble out of the window. It wasn't very big fire, and was contained to the engine compartment, but the sight of actual flames was enough to motivate me to move pretty quick.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That's going to mess up his dart board.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
This is some surrealist art right here.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/semi-rollover-on-i-5-near-west-seattle-bridge-blocking-lanes/

quote:

The I-90 express lanes are closed and will be used to get another empty tanker truck to the scene and offload the butane.

Westbound I-90 is now open to northbound I-5, but WSDOT said to expect lengthy delays.

The Washington State Patrol tweeted that the truck overturned on southbound collector-distributor lanes south of Dearborn.

A Seattle Fire Department hazmat team is on the scene and investigating. The driver of the truck suffered minor injuries. In all, three men were taken to Harborview Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Seattle Police and Washington State Patrol are evacuating homeless encampments under I-5 and extinguishing camp fires.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

At least he'll have a soft landing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Did that door just try to eat that man?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

This is why you never touch the sensitive hair bristles along the door edge

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

It looks like a serious blast of wind? That is loving crazy.

Also must have hurt like a bitch.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Spiteski posted:

It looks like a serious blast of wind? That is loving crazy.

Also must have hurt like a bitch.

You can just see another guy walking in from outside trying to turn the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

That's come up before and I think I remember that it's actually a safety feature so the doors don't lock in place in an emergency?