Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
loving 10/10 game by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have an absolute ton of purple items and I'm wondering whether I should disassemble or sell or trade for Amrita (Amrita seems like the worst option). Should I create a massive stack of purple forging good or does that not matter much when forging divines?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JBP posted:

I have an absolute ton of purple items and I'm wondering whether I should disassemble or sell or trade for Amrita (Amrita seems like the worst option). Should I create a massive stack of purple forging good or does that not matter much when forging divines?

From my experience so far, I haven't found much reason to forge divine weapons - you just create one decent set, and you're done. At present, I'm selling my junk to keep up with soul matching costs, which are the main way that you get better divine equipment, and converting to Amrita when I have enough money, because extra levels are always useful.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just got done with both double boss fight missions. I expected a somewhat unfun struggle, but both matchups were pretty much the most fun I've had with the game so far! For all the poo poo you could give the game regarding level design and repetitiveness, the fights sure are top-notch. There's just something immensely satisfying about baiting the two bosses around, taking your distance depending on their attacks, pull off some of the devastating combos when timing allows it, and when their Ki is juuuuuuust right, open them up for a grab with a single well-aimed kunai. I needed several tries for the samurai duo, but once Tachibane was down, the other one was pretty much helpless (despite his annoying self-heal). Nobunaga + Ice Lady only took two tries - if you watch their ranged attacks, the ice lady is pretty docile, so I could easily pull off the most devastating kusarigama combos on Nobunaga and shower him in kunais with barely any interference. Platinum within reach. :dance:

Speaking of which: I've only got two achievements left before that. I need one more Twilight mission, apparently, and the 60 smithing requests (up to 45 so far). Is there any way to speed that up? I tried messing with the system clock to get new Twilight missions to appear, but that doesn't seem to do anything; I'm assuming I only need Way of the Samurai Twilight missions for the achievement. And so far, I've got a steady stream of requests by just throwing tons of money at Soul Matching divine equipment / buying random garbage until I run out of money. Is there any way of getting requests faster? Could I just keep fighting revenants in NG+ missions to get my hands on more divine gear for soul matching or selling? I really like fighting bosses and mobs, but I'm not really all that intrigued by NG+ otherwise...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is the Ghosts of Sawayama the mission to farm the justice ministry smithing text?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Destro posted:

Well spear is my primary weapon, and at this point it seems like it's the best set for spears.

It is, but there's no need to farm it. It is by far the most common set to find revenants wearing from right after it unlocks all the way through the end of NG+. You'll be swimming in Red Demon pieces.

MMF Freeway posted:

Is the Ghosts of Sawayama the mission to farm the justice ministry smithing text?

I think it's easier in Sekigahara--he drops it there (it's where I got it) and the run to him takes like a minute once you know where to go and just run by all the dudes on the way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Surprised to find myself dying about as much as I did on my first playthrough on my second. Think it's mostly getting used to the kusarigama moveset and the fact that I can't block as long in light armor.

Also is it just me or do the caltrops speed debuff last even longer than the sloth amulet? I think I might have even seen multiple enemies walk through them once and all get debuffed. If so they seem...vastly superior? Unless you're fighting an enemy that likes to fly around, I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Caltrops only apply to movement and not attacks, right? I've never actually tried them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Maybe, that would make sense. I still give caltrops the edge if only because slowing down attack speed always felt like overkill and being able to apply it to several enemies at once feels like a powerful advantage.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So now that I can beat Ii Naomasa (Sp?) pretty handily, are the smithing texts actual drops on the field when he is downed, or do they come after I go back to the map menu? Just curious when/where I should be looking... Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

So now that I can beat Ii Naomasa (Sp?) pretty handily, are the smithing texts actual drops on the field when he is downed, or do they come after I go back to the map menu? Just curious when/where I should be looking... Thanks!

They're actual drops on the ground.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother grinding for the Red Demon smithing texts. I mean this very specifically for Red Demon, by the way. Any other armor set, go for it. But I am not exaggerating when I say that 75% or more of the revenants you're going to see in the second half of the game and all of NG+ will be wearing at least half of the Red Demon set. You're going to have your pick of Red Demon pieces. You'll be disassembling them more than any other armor set. I just don't know if it's worth your time to smith your own when you're going to be swimming through an ocean of that armor with any combination of traits you could ever dream of.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm glad the ages-old strategy of "Get right in its guts and beat the piss out" works a treat on Nue.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

I'm glad the ages-old strategy of "Get right in its guts and beat the piss out" works a treat on Nue.

In fact, unless you can reliably inflict confusion (what a lot of us call "discord" but apparently the game calls "confusion"), that's by far the easiest way to take him out. Hitting his chest when he's glowing immediately drains his Ki, at which point you can beat on him for a bit, then get the gently caress out before he does his recharge-bolt, then do it again.

If you can confuse him, though, you're free to mash attack all you want.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Harrow posted:

They're actual drops on the ground.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't bother grinding for the Red Demon smithing texts. I mean this very specifically for Red Demon, by the way. Any other armor set, go for it. But I am not exaggerating when I say that 75% or more of the revenants you're going to see in the second half of the game and all of NG+ will be wearing at least half of the Red Demon set. You're going to have your pick of Red Demon pieces. You'll be disassembling them more than any other armor set. I just don't know if it's worth your time to smith your own when you're going to be swimming through an ocean of that armor with any combination of traits you could ever dream of.

Good point. I guess the only counter to that is that with other big games coming it may be a bit before I NG+. I wanted what I could get now.

Are Smithing Texts for armor better than actual drops? I have the helm. the spear and the gloves. All from Drops. (Pre-Ii)

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I'm really enjoying a new character I made in which I'm using a Kusarigami, bare hands, and Ninjitsu without any magic abilities (except for Divination because knowledge of surroundings fits in with a ninja and I like finding Kodamas).

I'm going through the levels feeling pretty badass and then things like this happen and I feel like the dumbass I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQmeJKeyf0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Good point. I guess the only counter to that is that with other big games coming it may be a bit before I NG+. I wanted what I could get now.

Are Smithing Texts for armor better than actual drops? I have the helm. the spear and the gloves. All from Drops. (Pre-Ii)

Smithing texts just let you make more of the armor once you outgrow the pieces you have, since soul matching (pre-NG+) is prohibitively expensive. The armor you can craft from smithing texts isn't inherently better than what you get from drops. Thing is, it's really easy to keep specifically the Red Demon set up-to-date just by killing revenants and taking theirs. drat near any other armor set is a lot harder to do that with, so getting the smithing text is more worth your time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm really enjoying how NG+ doesn't have the same linear progression as NG and lets you kind of pick and choose what you want to do. I've been mixing up my build since I played through all of NG with kusarigama/spear and light armor and lemme just say that the Kingo set with the sword mastery skill that increases back damage does a lot of work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So if I have the red demon spear, and it inherently has fire.

1) Is it pointless to Jutsu Fire it up?

2) Would another element be enough to qualify for Discord?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TheHoosier posted:

This also works very well on a later boss which looks and acts like it's straight out of Bloodborne

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Emron posted:

This also works very well on a later boss which looks and acts like it's straight out of Bloodborne

I mean, Nue IS basically the electric cat from bloodborne.

Should I be switching stances in combat? I tend to just leave it in the most appropriate one for the situation. (Which is usually high axe).

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hackan Slash posted:

I mean, Nue IS basically the electric cat from bloodborne.

Should I be switching stances in combat? I tend to just leave it in the most appropriate one for the situation. (Which is usually high axe).

You aren't required to but it's very effective if you get used to it.

One easy stance dance is R1+X X to swap into low and dodge and then the other is R1+∆ ∆ for swapping into high and doing an attack. Just getting those two down can help a lot.

Just remember that you don't have to perfect time your pulse to change stances, you'll still get the bonus ki return if you do it too early.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Around what body stat are you all finishing NG with? I'm all-in on Light Armor so I only have like 12-13 body for requirements, but I'm feeling like that's going to be way too low once I get close to endgame. just trying to figure a body stat to shoot for so I don't get one-shotted. I'm not exactly a dodge/parry master yet so I'd like to be able to absorb a hit or three in case I gently caress up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

The castable enchants are always more powerful than the built in versions.

No. Whatever enchant you cast(or if you are using the spider guardian spirit) or if you are using poison / paralysis overwrites the base element of your weapon. So you could apply burning, then apply another different elemental debuff to give them discord.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
I've already beaten the spider-lady mission 3 times, but somehow managed to miss a few kodamas and one of the tea-pot fragments .
So now I went there and rushed all the pieces. Can I just himorogi-branch outta there and still keep my achievement and whatever else comes outta having all the fragments , or do I have to beat her again?

Thanks y'all!
v
v
v

Passburger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 27, 2017

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

you should be able to leave, i think the fragments only make the boss fight easier?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Passburger posted:

I've already beaten the spider-lady mission 3 times, but somehow managed to miss a few kodamas and one of the tea-pot fragments .
So now I went there and rushed all the pieces. Can I just himorogi-branch outta there and still keep my achievement and whatever else comes outta having all the fragments , or do I have to beat her again?

You can grab kodamas / whatever then use the branch to get out while still keeping whatever you found.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

Any elemental talisman is going to override what's on your weapon naturally, so you can't build up two elemental status effects at once. But having fire natively on your spear means you can carry, say, water and lightning talismans around and have good enough elemental coverage to discord anything.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Harrow posted:

In fact, unless you can reliably inflict confusion (what a lot of us call "discord" but apparently the game calls "confusion"), that's by far the easiest way to take him out. Hitting his chest when he's glowing immediately drains his Ki, at which point you can beat on him for a bit, then get the gently caress out before he does his recharge-bolt, then do it again.

If you can confuse him, though, you're free to mash attack all you want.

I was wondering what the gently caress that meant on Izuna or whatever the fox spirit's name was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, confusion is the status effect that we call "discord" because some pre-release materials called it that and it kind of stuck. Now that I know that I want to switch over, but I know I'll just confuse people and have to explain it every time, so :shrug:

But yeah, whenever you see something in-game talk about "confusion" it means the yin-yang status effect that happens when a target has two or more elemental status effects on them at once.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Are you sure? I thought confusion was the name for the stunned effect

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nope, confusion is discord. Depending on what you mean by the "stunned" effect, you're either thinking of paralysis (probably not) or the state where enemies stand there catching their breath either when they're out of Ki or when you do certain parries like Haze, which I don't think is a named status effect at all.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh I must have confused it with the stunned status effect from another game :doh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How does Oda's turkey spirit work? The passives are great but the attack seems awful.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

JBP posted:

How does Oda's turkey spirit work? The passives are great but the attack seems awful.

It would seem you get whatever element your current primary is when you activate. Activate again and you get a random one, I believe. I'd imagine its pretty easy set up Discord that way.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Monolith. posted:

It would seem you get whatever element your current primary is when you activate. Activate again and you get a random one, I believe. I'd imagine its pretty easy set up Discord that way.

As in it applies it to your weapon? Whenever I hit an enemy with the peacock it does 80 damage and doesn't apply the element.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

you should be able to leave, i think the fragments only make the boss fight easier?

nope
they are a trophy and unlock the tea shop guys full story.

You can just coop and do it with someone.

The one you missed is likely the one near the demon thats a guitar with a guy playing it, It's on top of the tower and the only one of them that won't pop out.

As long as you do the one you missed and the final one, you get credit IIRC (the one by the boss)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what weapon did you axe-users take as your secondary? I'm thinking spears would be a decent complement.

e. Also how cool it looks to have both of them strapped to you at once is a serious concern.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2017

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I didn't mess with axes, I really wanted to when I saw the streams, but the dual swords and tsurigama demolishing pretty much everything distracted or slowed down is just too much fun.

Currently rocking two dual swords. Id say go for anything as a sub, you are pretty much using the highest risk, middling reward weapon.

Also.

Anyone else find the poop status effect loving hilarious?

Like it was gross but hilarious

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I have literally done one mission but I am rocking axe and sword. Sword just feels sooo good in every fight but the axe eats through the trash so quickly it's hard not to just equip it and go to town sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I guess it's also important to ask which weapon scales best with strength after axes, for anyone who's crunched the numbers (Harrow)