Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They're different and ghee is stronger, but clarified butter is still buttery as all heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I just finished cooking homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch. I made the broth and everything!

So far its really really good and I love it (though boy was it a pain). However my veggies ended up having way too much crunch. After the broth was made I sauteed some fresh chopped veggies in my pot with olive oil. The instructions called for 6 minutes over medium heat to soften them, but I ended up doing 12 minutes and they still don't seem soft enough for my taste. Should I have just heated them longer? Used a higher heat? My carrots still feel almost like they're raw (though they have good flavor). I really do prefer chicken noodle soup with almost metling veggies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Knifegrab posted:

So I just finished cooking homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch. I made the broth and everything!

So far its really really good and I love it (though boy was it a pain). However my veggies ended up having way too much crunch. After the broth was made I sauteed some fresh chopped veggies in my pot with olive oil. The instructions called for 6 minutes over medium heat to soften them, but I ended up doing 12 minutes and they still don't seem soft enough for my taste. Should I have just heated them longer? Used a higher heat? My carrots still feel almost like they're raw (though they have good flavor). I really do prefer chicken noodle soup with almost metling veggies.

Higher heat at first to get a good brown over them if you want, but yeah, cook them longer and add a little water to the pan to give them a poor man's steaming. My aunt used to roast them to softness, actually. :shrug:

It usually takes longer than you'd think to soften them up, depending upon their size. A little longer and a little hotter, and just keep an eye on them so they don't burn - just stir them often.

There's also nothing wrong (if you like them mushy) with reserving some broth and simmering them in that before dumping the whole thing back into the soup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hogmartin posted:

If you figure out how to do meat with it, please post. I tried to shave thin slices of beef for shabu-shabu and it was a disaster; partially freezing didn't help either.

That's sad. I was thinking about trying to cut noodles with it but if it doesn't do meat it probably would be even worse for dough.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That's sad. I was thinking about trying to cut noodles with it but if it doesn't do meat it probably would be even worse for dough.

Well don't let me stop you from trying it, it could be that it works great and I just never figured out how to do it right. Thawed steak was too floppy and barely-frozen steak was too stiff - and you don't want to have to use force with sharp edges. Partially-freezing steak and shaving it with a sharp chef's knife just ended up being faster and was less scary. I never tried any kind of dough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grand Fromage posted:

My wife has had really good success with partially frozen beef for homemade jerky.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

hogmartin posted:

If you figure out how to do meat with it, please post. I tried to shave thin slices of beef for shabu-shabu and it was a disaster; partially freezing didn't help either.

ulmont posted:

My wife has had really good success with partially frozen beef for homemade jerky.

Spitballing here, but assuming cuts for jerky would be cheap and tough and full of connective tissue (brisket, flank) and shabu shabu would be made from tender, expensive, well-marbled cuts like ribeye, the beriner could work just fine for the stiff jerky cuts while reducing the ribeyes to beef jelly.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

moller posted:

Spitballing here, but assuming cuts for jerky would be cheap and tough and full of connective tissue (brisket, flank) and shabu shabu would be made from tender, expensive, well-marbled cuts like ribeye, the beriner could work just fine for the stiff jerky cuts while reducing the ribeyes to beef jelly.

Certainly possible. Or maybe there is a way to do more tender cuts and I never found it. Maybe freezing the slicer like you do with the plate and auger of a meat grinder? I just use it for vegetables now, and soft things like tofu and spam.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I bought one of those crazy rail knives from eBay that the Korean girl was cooking with...

now, what's the maintenance on this thing? Does it need to be oiled or just ensure I dry after each use so it doesn't rust?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sex swing from IKEA posted:

So I bought one of those crazy rail knives from eBay that the Korean girl was cooking with...

now, what's the maintenance on this thing? Does it need to be oiled or just ensure I dry after each use so it doesn't rust?

That looks cool, got a link?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do any UK posters have a good place for buying jerky/biltong? I don't mind making my own but I'm not ready to since moving and i'd like some. I know there is biltong man who is reasonably cheap but the stuff wasn't the best taste wise. Most places i look only sell small packs instead of 500g or whatever

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jose posted:

Do any UK posters have a good place for buying jerky/biltong? I don't mind making my own but I'm not ready to since moving and i'd like some. I know there is biltong man who is reasonably cheap but the stuff wasn't the best taste wise. Most places i look only sell small packs instead of 500g or whatever

There's several vendors on amazon.co.uk

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Jose posted:

Weirdly, Harrod's meat counter has really good biltong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Weirdly, Harrod's meat counter has really good biltong.

lol that is weird. i live the opposite end of the country though. seems i'd been removing all the various sellers on amazon by clicking for amazon prime

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

It's probably not cast iron despite what the knife seller said. It's probably steel, but who knows what kind. Use it as you would a normal knife until if you see rust in which case dry it more carefully.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

It's probably not cast iron despite what the knife seller said. It's probably steel, but who knows what kind. Use it as you would a normal knife until if you see rust in which case dry it more carefully.

It's not cast iron but carbon steel, and that has a tendency to rust as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Take a video of you cutting through a chicken bone like that lady did in the other vid. I want to buy one just for that badassedness but I'm skeptical at that price.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

It's not cast iron but carbon steel, and that has a tendency to rust as well.
I wanted to say it's carbon steel but it's so cheap, I dunno?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I highly doubt that it's cast iron. It would certainly have corrosion problems and I don't think you'd want to use a knife to cut through a chicken bone with a severely pitted knife. Also, cast iron is heavy as poo poo. If it's plain carbon steel, probably the same story. It's probably a mild alloy steel with some chromium added in, which can help form a protective scale over time even below the stainless steel alloying percentage. Some steels like these can also be carburized or nitrided to provide a harder, tougher case at the surface at the cost of local ductility.

Now, I wait for chemmy to tell me why I'm wrong.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You probably know way more about steel than I do. I agree it's not cast iron.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

why should carbon steel be expensive?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I made what I meant to be a Thai peanut chicken in the slow cooker. It tastes great but I cooked the chicken too long and it shredded up too soft.

Any recommendations on serving to make it look more palatable instead of just a pile of glop? Lettuce cups? Wrap in puff pastry and bake?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Take a video of you cutting through a chicken bone like that lady did in the other vid. I want to buy one just for that badassedness but I'm skeptical at that price.

Just get a butcher's cleaver.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Are frozen chilis acceptable when making capital c Chili? I know you're supposed to use smoked and dried chilis when making your own honky version of chili con carne, but I only ever use fresh habaneros and serranos, along with a couple tablespoons of dried and smoked and crushed pequins, a bottle of habanero sauce, and whetever piquant delights I can fit in there. I mean, freezing some habaneros before I stick em in my nuclear chili isn't gonna make the whole pot taste like poo poo/vegan MRE's, right?

Fake edit: Just lemme know, ok? You don't hate me, I don't hate you, let's keep it that way.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A frozen chile is essentially a fresh chile. To make "chili" you really do need the dried ones. On the other hand, a meat stew with fresh chiles would be really good, so just make it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A frozen chile is essentially a fresh chile. To make "chili" you really do need the dried ones. On the other hand, a meat stew with fresh chiles would be really good, so just make it.

Yeah that's always been my attitude. Will toss my fresh chilis in the freezer until I can make up the difference.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Guys...a chicken crust pizza. A meat pizza.
Pizza where the crust itself is made from both a chicken AND an egg (and cheese).
I've made delicious cauliflower crust pizza, but this seems also interesting...

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/no-carb-pizza/

I can't make this this week, but god drat, would any of you give it a shot and report back with best practices?

Basically canned chicken in over for 350F / 10min to dry it out, then chicken+egg and then shape and put into 500F / 8-10min
Add toppings and then bake at 500F for another 6-10min (or until cooked)

Would something like this even turn out well or would the chicken just turn to asphalt? I know it certainly took some reworking in order to get the cauliflower crust to get crispy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Are frozen chilis acceptable when making capital c Chili? I know you're supposed to use smoked and dried chilis when making your own honky version of chili con carne, but I only ever use fresh habaneros and serranos, along with a couple tablespoons of dried and smoked and crushed pequins, a bottle of habanero sauce, and whetever piquant delights I can fit in there. I mean, freezing some habaneros before I stick em in my nuclear chili isn't gonna make the whole pot taste like poo poo/vegan MRE's, right?

Fake edit: Just lemme know, ok? You don't hate me, I don't hate you, let's keep it that way.

There's so many ways of making chili none of them are right or wrong imo. I usually make one with several kinds of fresh peppers, canned chipotle in adobo and cayenne and chilli powder.

The more chillis the better, go for it I'd say

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really like adding kidney beans to the mix, and sometimes pinto beans.

:smug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Drifter posted:

I really like adding kidney beans to the mix, and sometimes pinto beans.

:smug:

I don't, but we can still be friends. :buddy:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

spankmeister posted:

That looks cool, got a link?

Here you go:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/24cm-Rail-Cast-Iron-Forged-Knife-Sashimi-Deba-Chef-Kitchen-Blade-Hand-Made-Korea-/131493336371?txnId=1318345411003

It's definitely got some heft to it, and the thickness of the knife at the spine is maybe 1/8" or slightly bigger?

I'll try and do some chopping today but right now it just seems like a cleaver but looks way loving cooler.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Here you go:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/24cm-Rail-Cast-Iron-Forged-Knife-Sashimi-Deba-Chef-Kitchen-Blade-Hand-Made-Korea-/131493336371?txnId=1318345411003

It's definitely got some heft to it, and the thickness of the knife at the spine is maybe 1/8" or slightly bigger?

I'll try and do some chopping today but right now it just seems like a cleaver but looks way loving cooler.

I feel like we're all one 6-pack away from trying to justify for the kitchen of of these

or one of these

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Metal as gently caress! :black101:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

I feel like we're all one 6-pack away from trying to justify for the kitchen of of these

Isn't that what rural Chinese militia were armed with during the 'boxer rebellion'? Y'know because muskets were too precious?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

or one of these

I've learned the value of a good single-sided cleaver. Sometimes you wanna just tap it into a butternut squash or a chicken carcass with a rubber mallet to reduce splatter.

spankmeister posted:

why should carbon steel be expensive?

I was under the impression that high carbon steel was more expensive, but I'll happily be told I'm wrong if that's the case.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

I was under the impression that high carbon steel was more expensive, but I'll happily be told I'm wrong if that's the case.
You really can't generalise. Hitachi''s Aogami steels and the generic Chinese steel used in a CCK slicer are both carbon steels and they're more or less at the far opposite ends of the price range of steels used in kitchen cutlery.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, the amount of steel itself in a knife is trivially inexpensive, it's the process that costs money. It all comes down to how you shape/polish/grind/heat treat/pickle the metal, and the quality of the machines you use to do the work.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

I've learned the value of a good single-sided cleaver. Sometimes you wanna just tap it into a butternut squash or a chicken carcass with a rubber mallet to reduce splatter.

The day I mentally recategorized my 2-lb rubber mallet from "Tool" to "Kitchen Utensil" was a good day. A day with delicious squash.

That double-sided cleaver makes my brain hurt. Do you swing it horizontally to slice two big hams or roasts or watermelons at once or something? Or is it strictly for repelling Vikings when they try to pillage your BBQ?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ExecuDork posted:

The day I mentally recategorized my 2-lb rubber mallet from "Tool" to "Kitchen Utensil" was a good day. A day with delicious squash.
I also decided to stop taking massive swings because of the gouges I was leaving in my cutting boards

quote:

That double-sided cleaver makes my brain hurt. Do you swing it horizontally to slice two big hams or roasts or watermelons at once or something? Or is it strictly for repelling Vikings when they try to pillage your BBQ?

It's for when you make a giant hacking swing at a chicken but then mid-swing another chicken ambushes you out of nowhere and you don't have the time or space to wind up before a second swing

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Why would you use a cleaver and mallet on butternut squash instead of just cutting it with a normal knife?