Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Gobias Ind. posted:

Kyle Lowry reportedly having right wrist surgery tomorrow to "remove loose bodies." Hopes to be back for the start of the playoffs.

God damnit.

ffs

Press release here, doesn't give a timetable yet. I thought he was day to day, this sure as hell is a jump up.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-releases/lowry-undergo-wrist-injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imagine if the Knicks could have swung a trade for Noel. Noel and King Zing would have been a fun duo to watch develop together.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

sharknado slashfic posted:

Hi I'm here to bandwagon the Rockets until they start losing a lot or more likely until I forget to watch the game tonight.

They can be a fun team to watch, so enjoy!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Dejan Bimble posted:

How can you believe that. Everyone in the league knew Noah moves like an embalmed corpse. Jennings Tore his achilles 1.5 years before he signed. Derrick Rose was awful by any measure. He signed a bunch of Name players who weren't good. He didn't acquire one player like that. He acquired 3, all at once. That says 'tactic' not 'series of bumbling errors.

Maybe the NBA has a secret colangelo waiting in the wings for any team that openly tanks. But there is no way the franchise thought the players they signed would make the team better. Maybe Noah as a sort of defensive tutor for Porzingis.

We don't need to even talk about rose or jennings. Just explain to me how signing noah to 72mil for 4 years is this brilliant secret tanking move. It screams advanced age/phoning it in at best, serious mental deterioration at worst

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hi I'm here to bandwagon the Rockets until they start losing a lot or more likely until I forget to watch the game tonight.

Welcome to the thread where we agree on everything except wether Phil Jackson is smart or stupid and wether late 90s crossover shammgod style game is fun or everything should perfectly coincide with optimal shot selection charts

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Spacebump posted:

Imagine if the Knicks could have swung a trade for Noel. Noel and King Zing would have been a fun duo to watch develop together.

"Center Michael Sweetney scores 50 points and grabs 30 rebounds at Madison Square Garden on his return to the NBA"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

We don't need to even talk about rose or jennings. Just explain to me how signing noah to 72mil for 4 years is this brilliant secret tanking move. It screams advanced age/phoning it in at best, serious mental deterioration at worst

It takes most NBA players 3 years to become the player they would be. Zing had one. Noah is there to take beatings and spare Zingis's thin frame for the next couple years, while keeping the team's potential low enough that they can add talent around Porzingis. I think Melo is out of the equation entirely, theyre just waging a war of attrition to get him to waive his no trade, or letting him drive a few ticket sales .

That leaves 2 loose Noah years that can be stretched if they need the money by then, or they can keep being dragged down, and secure better lottery position.
So as Porzingis enters his prime in years 5-8, the Knicks ~~~should~~~ have several good and decent starters and role players from the lottery, all around him. We know free agents think the team is a joke because of Dolan.

If Phil can project the idea that there is a knicks front office and that Dolan isn't going to interfere, that would be the greatest victory. Not helped by ejected fan favorite tough guy legends, of course.

Do you see my logic at least.

This is a long term plan to build a contender with cost effective lottery picks around Zingis in a high high cost free agent environment. Noah's big contract helps block bad deals in the near future when Zingis isn't ready to be the core of a real playoff team yet.

If I was Phil Jackson and I couldn't just secretly bribe melo to leave, and put solid character low ceiling vets around zingis, this is what I would do, build a financially sound basketball strong team to contend in Zingis's prime.

Do you think Phil is so senile that he couldn't possibly have planned something of this nature and executed the first part of it?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 27, 2017

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

That sucks about Lowry. Hopefully the surgery works out and he can return rested and not rusty. I'm pessimistic though because I live in Toronto.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

But they had robin lopez.They had robin lopez on 54m for 4 years the season before. They did not need to have noah come in to do the exact same role lopez was doing for a significantly worst contract as a player who can't even stay on the court to help porzingis. Lopez was also a popular fan favorite so he fit the perfect supposed role of a support veteran player that can help your rookie develop while selling tickets and maintain integrity on the court

The whole thing you're adding about front office imagery to free agents is shot down by phil himself tweeting like an idiot and sending his mouthpieces to bad mouth the very own star player he signed a major contract for

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

attn: Metapod http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11808802

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
There was definitely something up with Lowry's wrist considering how him and Casey kept talking about the possibility of it being something worse. Really loving sucks.

DeMar would need to keep scoring in the high 30s to compensate and hopefully Ibaka keeps playing solid. I'm also liking what I'm seeing from Delon Wright though so we'll see.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

And if phil wanted to develop porzingis as a core player, as in a real franchise player you can build a team around, he shouldn't have signed a big head with delusions about glamor like rose to a contract year because right now porzingis is being developed as if he is being groomed to be a role player

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I'm pretty sure the main reason Phil wanted Noah was because of his ability to pass, which in theory would be a perfect fit for the triangle. The problem of course is that the Knicks don't really run the triangle, and also that the triangle doesn't really work anymore

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah that was exactly it. Noah was a better passer for the triangle and phil wanted to win

And this bears repeating that anything about knicks needing stars to sell tickets as horseshit; there was only one moment dolan has felt threatened about his knicks empire state and it was the brief years when nets was perceived as a real threat. They had dirty russian money pouring into the city, everywhere you look there was a nets ad on bus stops and subway ads and people were wearing net gears designed by jay z. This is where dolan did his most heavily meddling including forcing the melo trade.

And right now as if it isn't obvious, dolan has a complete victory over the nets and also why he doesn't feel the need to meddle anymore. There's more knicks gears on the street than nets by far. There's barely any net ads. And all of this was mostly thanks to the fact that porzingis dropped onto their laps like a lavian angel from heaven. And if anyone here didn't know and I don't blame them because only stubborn retards are dumb enough to follow this team, if the knicks draft pick hadn't dropped a spot and they had their original spot, phil jackson would've drafted okafor. Phil has always been about short sighted winning

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

And if phil wanted to develop porzingis as a core player, as in a real franchise player you can build a team around, he shouldn't have signed a big head with delusions about glamor like rose to a contract year because right now porzingis is being developed as if he is being groomed to be a role player

I don't know what this means, but I don't see how it's true. Rose and Prozingis have basically the same usage rates, if anyone is keeping the ball out of Zingis's hands its Melo, but either way I think Zing is a way better off-ball guy than trying to iso down in the post or whatever.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

But they had robin lopez.They had robin lopez on 54m for 4 years the season before. They did not need to have noah come in to do the exact same role lopez was doing for a significantly worst contract as a player who can't even stay on the court to help porzingis. Lopez was also a popular fan favorite so he fit the perfect supposed role of a support veteran player that can help your rookie develop while selling tickets and maintain integrity on the court

The whole thing you're adding about front office imagery to free agents is shot down by phil himself tweeting like an idiot and sending his mouthpieces to bad mouth the very own star player he signed a major contract for

Noah is a better fit for the Triangle, which Phil has sold to management as the way forward. You spend a few more mil on Noah than Lopez per year, but if you're trying to build a Triangle team you need a post man who can pass.

I'm not defending Phil here, but what is the alternative path? A bunch of cap space doesn't translate into getting assets like it used to now that the stretch provision exists. And where the Knicks are, you either overpay veterans to try to do something while waiting out Melo's contract or you go the Hinkie route and start tearing everything down. We know how Hinkie went, so....

Edit:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

And if anyone here didn't know and I don't blame them because only stubborn retards are dumb enough to follow this team, if the knicks draft pick hadn't dropped a spot and they had their original spot, phil jackson would've drafted okafor. Phil has always been about short sighted winning

Almost every single draft board had Okafor above Porzingis, don't act like that would have been a stupid think only Phil would have done.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Initial estimates are 4-5 weeks for Lowry. Think the playoffs are 6-7 weeks away. Would be nice if he could play a few games at the end of the year to get his rhythm back.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

I'm pretty sure the main reason Phil wanted Noah was because of his ability to pass, which in theory would be a perfect fit for the triangle. The problem of course is that the Knicks don't really run the triangle, and also that the triangle doesn't really work anymore

Even then magical good passing Noah was like, a creature that stopped existing in 2014. I guess his assists kind of stayed up but you just can't look at 2015/2016 Noah and go "yeah, this guy is the starting centre we want". He was legit fantastic in 13/14, but he fell off so hard over the last three seasons. Noah basically got paid like 2015 and 2016 didn't exist. I mean I guess if you're Phil Jackson and you're loving old 2 years feels like a blink of an eye and you might have forgotten about them, but it's a move that screams "I'm old and don't watch basketball games, what's this about a former DPOY big man with great passing skills?". And then you get an old broken useless player tied up in a long term contract for four years.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The two major issues with the noah signing is you would've had to ignore his health history, and why 4 years.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lockback posted:

Almost every single draft board had Okafor above Porzingis, don't act like that would have been a stupid think only Phil would have done.

Who cares about espn draft boards and other similar crap (besides phil). Knicks own scouts and hinkie both wanted porzingis over okafor

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

attackmole posted:

I mean I guess if you're Phil Jackson and you're loving old 2 years feels like a blink of an eye and you might have forgotten about them, but it's a move that screams "I'm old and don't watch basketball games, what's this about a former DPOY big man with great passing skills?". And then you get an old broken useless player tied up in a long term contract for four years.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets signed Isaiah Taylor

Nets released Luis Scola, my friend from Argentina

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/836265353185538048

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Robin Lopez is good at his job, though.

I guess we're not going to come to an agreement. To all of my eyes it looks like a stealth tank with a one year 1/100 shot of being a good team and shocking the world, before Noah and Rose crumbled back into dust, both were good potential outcomes for the franchise.

Phil's whole zen master thing is basic salesman psychology, he's framing and selling.

I know it hurts because it's your team and it's guaranteed to be pretty bad for the next several years. But if they draft well, you could have a contender by the time you and your wife have your next child

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rockets quick facts:

- Defense is for lame rear end teams like the Spurs
- Everyone likes James Harden and agrees he is cool and fun to watch

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lockback posted:

I don't know what this means, but I don't see how it's true. Rose and Prozingis have basically the same usage rates, if anyone is keeping the ball out of Zingis's hands its Melo, but either way I think Zing is a way better off-ball guy than trying to iso down in the post or whatever.

Oh man USAGE RATE - numbers my worst enemy. If my eye test of actually watching knicks games isn't enough to convince you that rose is poison to porzingis, then I can only let someone else use numbers to argue
https://gothamsn.com/derrick-rose-and-the-importance-of-passing-ebd6ab002799#.4633hxr9g

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

chunkles posted:

:(

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

chunkles posted:

Rockets signed Isaiah Taylor

https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/836265353185538048

Scola is coming to poo poo up the rockets, you heard it here first folks

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

If anyone deserves a "veteran leadership" spot where he does nothing and is possibly a hindrance it's him. He even takes 1.4 threes a game now!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tae posted:

The biggest thing is that Cousins is going from one of the slowest pace teams to one of the fastest, and I've seen a lot of comment that Cousins is just out of shape. Very Bogut like in not going back in transition and doing fouls to stop fastbreaks because he literally can't get back in time.

You can just look at Cousins' production last year when George Karl played a super fast, up-tempo system

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Oh man USAGE RATE - numbers my worst enemy. If my eye test of actually watching knicks games isn't enough to convince you that rose is poison to porzingis, then I can only let someone else use numbers to argue
https://gothamsn.com/derrick-rose-and-the-importance-of-passing-ebd6ab002799#.4633hxr9g

I can't even recall a successful pick and roll/pop between Rose and anyone. He's not passing unless he's already in the air which is ludicrous to think about, especially for a PG. As much poo poo as I pile on Melo he is still hitting the open man for the most part (read: not crunch time).

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Kibner posted:

They've had all of a single practice before today and the new personnel configuration requires big changes on how the offense and defense are run.

https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/836292860198731777

https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/836293452597985280

And, yes, the supporting cast has been awful. They're shooting like 35% on uncontested shots since the trade.

Was Jrue's astounding lack of effort on Westbrook's Boogie Fouls Out dunk (Dunk Of The Year right now) due to a lack of practiced scheme?
https://streamable.com/lmcu1

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Please don't sign Brandon Jennings Washington....... I don't think I can deal with it.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Was Jrue's astounding lack of effort on Westbrook's Boogie Fouls Out dunk (Dunk Of The Year right now) due to a lack of practiced scheme?
https://streamable.com/lmcu1

that is a weak rear end foul

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

attackmole posted:

Even then magical good passing Noah was like, a creature that stopped existing in 2014. I guess his assists kind of stayed up but you just can't look at 2015/2016 Noah and go "yeah, this guy is the starting centre we want". He was legit fantastic in 13/14, but he fell off so hard over the last three seasons. Noah basically got paid like 2015 and 2016 didn't exist. I mean I guess if you're Phil Jackson and you're loving old 2 years feels like a blink of an eye and you might have forgotten about them, but it's a move that screams "I'm old and don't watch basketball games, what's this about a former DPOY big man with great passing skills?". And then you get an old broken useless player tied up in a long term contract for four years.

He's courtside almost every game! He watches a lot of basketball

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

The problem of course is that the Knicks don't really run the triangle,

shows wat u know

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Yeah that was exactly it. Noah was a better passer for the triangle and phil wanted to win

And this bears repeating that anything about knicks needing stars to sell tickets as horseshit; there was only one moment dolan has felt threatened about his knicks empire state and it was the brief years when nets was perceived as a real threat. They had dirty russian money pouring into the city, everywhere you look there was a nets ad on bus stops and subway ads and people were wearing net gears designed by jay z. This is where dolan did his most heavily meddling including forcing the melo trade.

And right now as if it isn't obvious, dolan has a complete victory over the nets and also why he doesn't feel the need to meddle anymore. There's more knicks gears on the street than nets by far. There's barely any net ads. And all of this was mostly thanks to the fact that porzingis dropped onto their laps like a lavian angel from heaven. And if anyone here didn't know and I don't blame them because only stubborn retards are dumb enough to follow this team, if the knicks draft pick hadn't dropped a spot and they had their original spot, phil jackson would've drafted okafor. Phil has always been about short sighted winning

every single team would have drafted Okafor over Porzingis

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/836337027226320896

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Derrick Rose really shouldn't be allowed to average 17.6 points per game.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

AggressivelyStupid posted:

that is a weak rear end foul

Completely understandable tho'. Boogie was rotating over from being way out of place (thanks to aforementioned Jrue defense) and Westbrook changes directions midair because of contact (although a lot of that contact is Westbrook clearing out a bit with the left arm). So it's clearly not up and down by the defender, there's body contact in the air, Boogie's arm was near Westbrook's head/shoulders (although I'm not certain I much contact there), probably gotta blow that whistle.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rose isn't some terrible basketball player. He still can get to the rim and hit open shots. He's just having trouble finishing because he obviously isn't as athletic anymore and he also doesn't pass enough or kick out enough on his drives.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've heard of revisionist history, but people rewriting how Porzingis was higher on every single GM's draft board than Okafor is confusing everytime it's brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Doltos posted:

Rose isn't some terrible basketball player. He still can get to the rim and hit open shots. He's just having trouble finishing because he obviously isn't as athletic anymore and he also doesn't pass enough or kick out enough on his drives.

Good enough to be the subject of speculation about being waived off of the New York Knickerbockers

• Locked thread