Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

wicka posted:

The end of each stage does not require a caution, and if it does, it sure as poo poo doesn't need to be eight loving laps.

At a track as big as Daytona, why can't it be:

First lap: Catch pacecar on backstretch, lead lap pit stops.

Second lap: Lap-down cars pit.

Third lap: Lucky Dog/Wave-Arounds, line up double-file.

Back to Green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Volkerball posted:

And having constant restarts increases the likelihood of accidents. Almost every actual caution was right after a restart.

Almost all the wrecks happened in the third segment.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

And how many caution laps did we have before that 3rd segment? Sorry stage not segment.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Well you need the first lap to slow the cars down, second to gather them up, third for formation, fourth opens pit road, fifth is for the lap down cars and usually like two more pace laps so I mean having eight isn't some huge deal IMO

Is this a joke? The cars are still in the tri-oval when the caution comes out and they need four more laps to get to pit road? Just pit at the end of the that lap, ffs.

So many of you are quick to criticize NASCAR but then still parrot their idiotic reasoning for their bad rules.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Lmao Atlanta has 38 cars entered.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

Yeah but did you see the 6.5 rating the 500 got? HAPPY TIMES ARE HERE AGAIN

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Almost all the wrecks happened in the third segment.

Yeah, but that was just luck of the draw. If you've got 7 restarts and 5 cautions on restarts, limiting the number of restarts is going to help keep the green flag out. Deliberately adding more restarts for shits and giggles is just asking for trouble.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'm just happy we didn't get a wet fart plate track gwc

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

DEMAG posted:

BZF delivered! https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/836217278924455936

All hail stage racing and 5 minute clock!

I'm guessing the massive Daytona Day marketing push from Fox had more to do with the increase than anything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gret posted:

I'm guessing the massive Daytona Day marketing push from Fox had more to do with the increase than anything else.

They had Gordon Ramsey doing videos and everything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dentist toy box posted:

I'm just happy we didn't get a wet fart plate track gwc

God I hate GWCs

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Alain Post posted:

God I hate GWCs

Apparently NASCAR wants RGCYs to be a thing now at stage breaks

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

VikingSkull posted:

Well you need the first lap to slow the cars down, second to gather them up, third for formation, fourth opens pit road, fifth is for the lap down cars and usually like two more pace laps so I mean having eight isn't some huge deal IMO

Hell, Viking, I know you've been around long enough to remember quickie yellows. If they can get a debris caution done in three laps at some short track, they drat sure ought to be able to do it at Daytona when there ain't even any debris to pick up.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

dentist toy box posted:

The shortest Cup field at Atlanta since November 1976.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

And how many caution laps did we have before that 3rd segment? Sorry stage not segment.

21 laps over 4 yellows and 1 red flag

4 to clean up after the 83 after it tried to pit and then didn't slow down and 7 laps after the #18 wrecked

The other 10 laps and 2 yellows were the caution flags. (6 on segment #1 and 4 on segment #2)

The other 4 cautions and 19 caution laps were in segment 3.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LASTCAR posted:

The shortest Cup field at Atlanta since November 1976.

and lookin at Jayski, i see at least 2 more cars that probably arent going to make the full season. yikes.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Cygni posted:

and lookin at Jayski,

Condolences.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The only Jayski page which has been ESPN'd is the homepage. If you go to look at most other pages, they're still old school Jayski. :eng101:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but that was just luck of the draw. If you've got 7 restarts and 5 cautions on restarts, limiting the number of restarts is going to help keep the green flag out. Deliberately adding more restarts for shits and giggles is just asking for trouble.

Well, what's the solution, because when the race is run like normal they go single file for 400 miles and everyone in this thread bitches that the race is boring.

dennyk posted:

Hell, Viking, I know you've been around long enough to remember quickie yellows. If they can get a debris caution done in three laps at some short track, they drat sure ought to be able to do it at Daytona when there ain't even any debris to pick up.

I've also seen guys get run over on pit road because the teams knew it was a quick yellow and they did dumb poo poo.

wicka posted:

Is this a joke? The cars are still in the tri-oval when the caution comes out and they need four more laps to get to pit road? Just pit at the end of the that lap, ffs.

So many of you are quick to criticize NASCAR but then still parrot their idiotic reasoning for their bad rules.

Kidc and I probably criticize NASCAR the least in this thread.

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 28, 2017

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I think we need to see this in action at a non plate track because Plate racing is a different beast. I don't think it really added to the spectacle overall for daytona however the cautions in segment three could have happened under any format.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not complaining about plate racing or the new format. NASCAR has long had a problem with the frequency and duration of cautions.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Ah well im going at the wrong angle then. I think the cautions for each segment were an issue in all 3 races this weekend so i agree they need to tighten it up. I half feel they keep them out so tv can load in as many commercials as possible. But that's just american tv showing sport all over.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I mean, I'm not saying they can't tighten up the yellows some, I'm sure they can. I like the segments, though, because too many races have been single file until the end, the plate races are notorious for that.

I'd rather sit through restart crash cautions than debris yellows any day. Ideally, they'd run the race without either, but there's a ton of people, some in this thread, that get bent out of shape if the field gets strung out and if bunching the field back up and awarding points helps get more money into the sport then I'm all for it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ideally they would have stages that didn't end in mandated cautions, but since I'm sure they won't do that, at the very least they could not end each segment with 20 minutes of no racing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

NASCAR should have a set target of caution laps per stage caution, announce it prior and stick with it. I think it would help with the long and arbitrary nature of them.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

I'm not complaining about plate racing or the new format. NASCAR has long had a problem with the frequency and duration of cautions.

This is something that the new stage format was never going to fix. IMO, the racing got worse as the number of cautions went up because teams were starting to get used to knowing that there would be a caution likely to come. They were content to circulate and tick laps off rather than racing hard to gain as much time as they could. All that time advantage would be lost with an inevitable yellow flag anyway, so there was no point in risking to push it in the beginning or middle stages of a race.

NASCAR really needs to think about what it needs to do to reduce the frequency of cautions. (Their duration isn't as big of a problem for me as long as there aren't so many of them, like I'd expect from a typical Indycar race.) If teams know there are likely to be significant stretches of green flag racing, say 2-4 pits stops between cautions, then you'll sure as hell see harder racing from start to finish.

Instead, the stage format feels like the emphasis will be less on the racing, and more when to take your one pit stop to be sure you're at the front for the last few laps to the stage/race finish. Way to dumb it down there, guys.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WindyMan posted:

This is something that the new stage format was never going to fix. IMO, the racing got worse as the number of cautions went up because teams were starting to get used to knowing that there would be a caution likely to come. They were content to circulate and tick laps off rather than racing hard to gain as much time as they could. All that time advantage would be lost with an inevitable yellow flag anyway, so there was no point in risking to push it in the beginning or middle stages of a race.

NASCAR really needs to think about what it needs to do to reduce the frequency of cautions. (Their duration isn't as big of a problem for me as long as there aren't so many of them, like I'd expect from a typical Indycar race.) If teams know there are likely to be significant stretches of green flag racing, say 2-4 pits stops between cautions, then you'll sure as hell see harder racing from start to finish.

Instead, the stage format feels like the emphasis will be less on the racing, and more when to take your one pit stop to be sure you're at the front for the last few laps to the stage/race finish. Way to dumb it down there, guys.

the 6 non-competition cautions were brought out mostly because of restrictor plate racing, an idiot, or a tire going down

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

the 6 non-competition cautions were brought out mostly because of restrictor plate racing, an idiot, or a tire going down

Two out of those three things happen regularly outside of Daytona and Talledega, though.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, like, arguing about yellows after a race at Daytona seems weird considering this forum plays a game based on them.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hey it's okay to discuss excessive cautions in a new format.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I'm not sure a sample size of one plate race is indicative of how the new format will play out, though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

Hey it's okay to discuss excessive cautions in a new format.

Non Competiton Cautions caused by new format in Cup: 0

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

Non Competiton Cautions caused by new format in Cup: 0

You can make a strong argument that the red wouldn't have come out if not for the stage format, however.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

How about this, since you folks seem inclined to misunderstand every single accurate criticism that's being leveled at NASCAR here: show me more racing and less not racing, please.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Let's focus on one thing that can bring us all together: Kasey Kahne is loving Terrible

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

Fire him asap and put kyle Larson in that ride.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Let's focus on one thing that can bring us all together: Kasey Kahne is loving Terrible

That's giving him too much credit, he has actually become the purest incarnation of mediocrity.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Boomer The Cannon posted:

but he's so dreamy :allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The TV networks advertised interviewing the Stage winner as a feature of the downtime under caution and, if it's something they're trying to build time in for, it's something they're putting way too much stock into. I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The TV networks advertised interviewing the Stage winner as a feature of the downtime under caution and, if it's something they're trying to build time in for, it's something they're putting way too much stock into. I don't care.

The thing they should be putting stock into is showing the race. That they need to stop showing the race to highlight someone who hasn't won it yet is ridiculous.

• Locked thread