Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Namtab posted:

What's false consciousness, I feel like this might be false consciousness

yeah p much

from a distance all the internalised myth narratives in philosophy look the same so it's probably easier to just read Chomsky's one as it's the most modern and thus easiest to read, the proper distinctions are some serious philosophy nerd poo poo

Breath Ray posted:

You could make your home country a nice place to live

us first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

namesake posted:

It's like when you've sat on your hand for a few minutes and you can't feel or move it but instead of your hand it's your actual position in society.

Both relate to wanking somehow.

Ah, the stranger

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

You shouldn't hate the middle class for making more than you, you should hate them for their soft-bellied liberal politics and their aspirational lifestyle bullshit imo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Yes, I try to make the UK a better place. Small stuff I won't get into, but every bit helps.

You could make it better by leaving and taking your entitled attitude with you. Then you could give something back to your poorer home country where your contribution and example could go much further than it would here. Promise me youll sleep on it at least.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I don't really have time to keep up with the thread all the time at the mo.

Looks like Clive Lewis is either quite opportunistic or a victim of some of these 'dark arts' John McDonnell was talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/27/clive-lewis-denies-registering-websites-for-labour-leadership-bid

quote:

Clive Lewis, who resigned from the shadow cabinet after voting against the Brexit bill, has denied secretly registering internet addresses linked to a potential leadership bid and warned that unnamed Labour figures were taking an “unhealthy interest” in him.

Lewis, the MP for Norwich South, flatly denied that he, or anyone working for him, was responsible for registering several internet domain names, including cliveforleader.org.uk, shortly after he joined the shadow cabinet last summer, as revealed in the Huffington Post. “None of this is true: I haven’t done this,” he said.

He also told the Guardian his solicitors had written to the Sunday Times warning that he plans to take legal action against the paper over a separate story, casting doubt about his military record in Afghanistan as an army reservist.

Lewis suggested both stories had originated from “people out there”, who don’t want to see a leftwinger succeed Jeremy Corbyn, and would like the Labour leadership to pass to a more centrist MP.

“It looks clear to me that there are people out there whose interest I have piqued and who are taking an unhealthy interest in me,” he said. “In other circumstances, it would be flattering.”

<More PLP grumbling follows>

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

You could make it better by leaving and taking your entitled attitude with you. Then you could give something back to your poorer home country where your contribution and example could go much further than it would here. Promise me youll sleep on it at least.

This on the other hand sounds very close to "gently caress off we're full"

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017

Namtab posted:

The example that always springs to my mind when this topic comes up is the fact that people try and use the fact that tube drivers get more money than me, a nurse, to try and get me and my peers to agitate against their strikes for better pay and conditions.

i hate it when people complain about strikes. like, they're supposed to be disruptive, if they weren't, what's the point

i guess i never had a problem with them because when i first learnt what they were it was teachers strikes and that meant you got the day off school

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Actually he told us to gently caress off.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

Do explain how I'm "entitled", I'm all ears.

Also my home country is the UK. I'm British, does that make you angry?

If you mean the country I was born in, don't worry, my contributions to several charities and family members there sure go a long way, as you say.

Breath Ray posted:

Actually he told us to gently caress off.

No you blithering imbecile, I told those trying to kick me off the country to gently caress off. Do you want me out? Then gently caress you. Otherwise, it wasn't aimed at you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Prince John posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, I don't really have time to keep up with the thread all the time at the mo.

Looks like Clive Lewis is either quite opportunistic or a victim of some of these 'dark arts' John McDonnell was talking about.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/27/clive-lewis-denies-registering-websites-for-labour-leadership-bid

You are loving missing the best part of the original huffpo article:

quote:

When asked for a comment on the websites, Lewis told HuffPost UK: “A lesson from LBJ [US President Lyndon B Johnson] in how to smash an opponent.

“Legend has it that LBJ, in one of his early congressional campaigns, told one of his aides to spread the story that Johnson’s opponent f*cked pigs. The aide responded: ‘Christ, Lyndon, we can’t call the guy a pigf*cker. It isn’t true.’

“To which LBJ supposedly replied: ‘Of course it ain’t true, but I want to make the son-of-a-bitch deny it.’”

When HuffPost UK asked if he was denying registering the sites, Lewis replied: “That’s your quote. Take it or leave it.”

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Paxman posted:

Really if I drink wine not beer and have a la di da accent and listen to the Archers and read the Grauniad and go to work in a suit with a white shirt and tie and sit at a desk and earn what sounds like a lot of money to most people and call myself working class I'm either going to get laughed at or a smack in the mouth

I think you only need the accent, actually.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

I'm sure this has come up before but seeing what people actually earn is always fun.

Here's what people earn, according to the ONS Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings.

These are gross annual full time salaries, so they include bonuses, holiday pay etc.

No, if you earn loadsamoney and find it embarrassing there's no trick you can use to get out of it. OK, you could point out that the proper rich live on returns from capital and not salaries. But if you're looking at salaries for whatever reason, here they are.

Anyway: median annual wage is 28k. If you earn 40k you're in the top 25%. If you earn 56k you're in the top 10%.

Some observations:
People who earn more than most people sometimes hate having it pointed out.
Some people really hate the whole concept of median, I don't know why.
Only the top 35 per cent or so earn the average wage or more.
People who work part or don't work just aren't in these figures at all

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...reviousReleases

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Namtab posted:

Ah, the stranger
I had only a little time left and I didn't want to waste it on God. :fap:

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Oh yes it is:

Blair 'prayed to God' over Iraq

Prime Minister Tony Blair has told how he prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq.

Mr Blair answered "yes" when asked on ITV1 chat show Parkinson - to be screened on Saturday - if he had sought holy intervention on the issue.

"Of course, you struggle with your own conscience about it... and it's one of these situations that, I suppose, very few people ever find themselves in."

Anti-war campaigners attacked Mr Blair's comments as "a joke".

Mr Blair told show host Michael Parkinson: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people... and if you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4772142.stm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG77Jhr28BI

Of course he prays, he's religious. That's something that all religious people - the vast majority of the world population - do. In fact most religions mandate it.

He doesn't say that he talks to God.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pochoclo posted:

Do explain how I'm "entitled", I'm all ears.

Also my home country is the UK. I'm British, does that make you angry?

If you mean the country I was born in, don't worry, my contributions to several charities and family members there sure go a long way, as you say.

No you blithering imbecile, I told those trying to kick me off the country to gently caress off. Do you want me out? Then gently caress you. Otherwise, it wasn't aimed at you.

I dont know what you're so angry about but if you want to leave go ahead I'm sure we can find someone else with inch thick specs to take your place.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

I dont know what you're so angry about but if you want to leave go ahead I'm sure we can find someone else with inch thick specs to take your place.

Yeah sure okay bye keep the good troll game up, was fun while it lasted.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The issue with earning lots of money and still being working class is that as the years pass only two things can happen:

a) You save and/or invest your money wisely and accumulate a lot of capital. While you might not be able to live off the profits, you could still live off it without working for quite a while. That kind of distances you from the working class.

b) You spend all of what you earn and live an extremely ostentatious and expensive lifestyle. This also distances you from the the majority of the working class, and makes people think you're kind of a dick.

Either way you might still fit the original definition of working class, but you certainly aren't relatable to most working class people. Which is a shame, because either way you will have a lot more in common with them than with the capital classes.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
c) spend all your money into an ill-fated attempt to bring about a glorious revolution of the proletariat

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I guess you could spend it all on good causes, but that happens so rarely I think it's safe to discount it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
d) spend it on charitable ends that end up being a sticking plaster over the failures of capitalism in the Zizekian model, but still are more moral in the short term than having that money and not doing so

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Use that money to meet your material needs and keep your morale up by traveling the world and seeing and doing interesting poo poo, gain a better understanding of your fellow human beings, educate yourself, whatever. Money is power and should be used, not hoarded or surrendered. We shouldn't all be pious, ascetic monks sworn to poverty, the problem is the system not the individual.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Just lol if the lesson you learned as a child growing up wasn't that the only way to be successful in a capitalist system was to accumulate so much wealth that you could build a vault full of coins that you would swan dive into every day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TomViolence posted:

Use that money to meet your material needs and keep your morale up by traveling the world and seeing and doing interesting poo poo, gain a better understanding of your fellow human beings, educate yourself, whatever. Money is power and should be used, not hoarded or surrendered. We shouldn't all be pious, ascetic monks sworn to poverty, the problem is the system not the individual.

That seems like a kind of tenuous justification for "get rich and live like it"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pochoclo posted:

Yeah sure okay bye keep the good troll game up, was fun while it lasted.

Nice meltdown

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
i think that as long as you render unto caesar and abide by the law, what you do with your hard earned is your business and nobody else's. or, to paraphrase a great sage of our times, "we [should be] intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich as long as they pay their taxes"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if you're getting filthy rich we aren't taxing you enough.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Do you work for your wage, or do you own the means of production and use that to steal one from workers like a loving parasite?

Because that's all that really matters, "class" got turned to useless tribal bullshit- utterly divorced from economic conditions to the point where it's a useless descriptor that means something new to everyone.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

i think that as long as you render unto caesar and abide by the law, what you do with your hard earned is your business and nobody else's. or, to paraphrase a great sage of our times, "we [should be] intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich as long as they pay their taxes"

Does Blair pay his taxes, I don't think he pays his taxes

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That seems like a kind of tenuous justification for "get rich and live like it"

Everyone should be rich, or at the very least comfortable and at liberty to enjoy their life. The problem is not that some people are, it's that not everybody is. There's nothing particularly liberating or redistributive about telling people to give up money they've worked for whenthe real enemy is the parasitic capitalist class.

OwlFancier posted:

I think if you're getting filthy rich we aren't taxing you enough.

And there you have it, the cause is systemic and not individual.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that if your money could liberate five other people from grinding poverty you should probably do that rather than spend it on rare SNES carts.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Imagine the petit bourgeois as one of those little fish that latch onto the mighty shark of the proletariat, and the bourgeois as vampires

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Nice meltdown

I got baited hard but in my defence I was angry at the news. All the news lately are depressing as gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or at least you should not try to justify the reason why you aren't doing that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think that if your money could liberate five other people from grinding poverty you should probably do that rather than spend it on rare SNES carts.

hosed up if true

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pochoclo posted:

I got baited hard but in my defence I was angry at the news. All the news lately are depressing as gently caress.

Same, buddy.
Same. :smith:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Owl my boy I think that workers who earn more should be allowed to enjoy some of it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Any revolution where we have to be austere and miserable monks living on gruel and hard tack is not a revolution I want to be part of.

Chiefly because it wouldn't be much of a change, but also I mean what are you doing posting on internet forums when the money you spend on wifi could go to your nearest food bank, eh?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

Owl my boy I think that workers who earn more should be allowed to enjoy some of it.

I mean, I agree, but the reason I agree is because I am selfish and want to have some of my life one day maybe that isn't oriented around work and not spending money because I have things I need to keep it for.

There's no ethical justification for it, I would just actually go completely mad if I didn't switch off my empathy at least some of the time.

I don't hold with trying to construct some silly framework to justify your own greed though, just admit it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If it's any consolation I definitely also feel jealous. That's how capitalism keeps us squabbling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if we're going to talk false consciousness then maybe "actually my greed is *~justified~* because of <bollocks>" is probably a pretty nasty example of it.

• Locked thread