Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk Rising: Revengeance.

Just try and pretend that wouldn't be the coolest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Schubalts posted:

That or Capcom making one in the style of Dragon's Dogma.

Yeah Dark Souls is great and all, but this would be the real Best Berserk Game. Hell, the console release was already halfway there.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Berserk Rising: Revengeance.

Just try and pretend that wouldn't be the coolest poo poo.

I've always supported that a Platinum Berserk game with a blade mode ripped from Revengeance for slicing poo poo apart and looking like a master swordsman while doing it would be absolutely amazing

Even simple encounters like Guts defeating Griffith to leave the Hawks would be really interesting to have to actually aim the broadsword (and later on the Dragonslayer of course) and slice and poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i would like platinum to do one of their high-effort takes on berserk, but revengeance blade mode wouldn't make much sense there.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
The sad thing is Koei has the technology to do the golden age ark justice, large environments with tons of enemies. But from a design standpoint they don't have the chops to make the combat visceral or interesting.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dynasty Warrior and most musou games probably have amazing turnover for Koei. They basically just use the same assets over and over again. The aesthetic/setting is the only thing that changes, sometimes its about Chinese men sometimes its about Dragon Quest men. I mean they can still be enjoyable if you just want to relax and not think about anything.

I like the idea of Platinum Game making a Berserk game. The thing is the combat in the Berserk Manga seems so visceral like a Platinum game or maybe Capcom beat em up but the feeling and atmosphere is definitely something only From Soft could craft.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Ulio posted:

Dynasty Warrior and most musou games probably have amazing turnover for Koei. They basically just use the same assets over and over again. The aesthetic/setting is the only thing that changes, sometimes its about Chinese men sometimes its about Dragon Quest men. I mean they can still be enjoyable if you just want to relax and not think about anything.

I like the idea of Platinum Game making a Berserk game. The thing is the combat in the Berserk Manga seems so visceral like a Platinum game or maybe Capcom beat em up but the feeling and atmosphere is definitely something only From Soft could craft.

They obviously tend to recycle a lot (especially the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors titles), but I'd argue they do change up some of the actual systems between certain games and the results can be interesting (and a little less "mindless") in the better ones. Not to mention the amount of content and actual execution quality varies. Dragon Quest Heroes is a good example. It's not literally the same as Berserk Musou except with Dragon Quest characters, even though it might well understandably seem so at a glance. There's more of a tower defense aspect at work (love it or hate it).

I wouldn't complain about future Berserk games being made by Platinum or other developers. In fact, I'd welcome it.

wielder fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 26, 2017

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
While I know nothing about any of these games (as will become apparent by the end of the sentence), I think a game devoted solely to microscopic sword control would be very much in keeping with Guts' philosophical purpose. Imagine having to slow motion the swing against Griffith for two weeks before getting it right, or perfecting the angle and rotation to pass through Silat's whips? :circlefap:

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 26, 2017

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Just a reminder that the DoomRL guy made a Berserk game some time ago.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Woebin posted:

Just a reminder that the DoomRL guy made a Berserk game some time ago.

Love doomrl but just can't get into roguelikes with ascii graphics :( I'm sure it's good though. DoomRL is a gem.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Key visual for season 2 of the anime dropped today. Just to emphasize, this is supposed to be better looking than the actual anime.

:ughh:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmao you know what, gently caress it, get the old OLM team from 97 back, same budget and everything with freeze frames and poo poo

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hell, I'm in.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Awesome Welles posted:

Lmao you know what, gently caress it, get the old OLM team from 97 back, same budget and everything with freeze frames and poo poo

This please.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
:lol: Isidro what the gently caress man!?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Like at least you could tell the OLM team gave a gently caress about the source material and imho they did a pretty good job all things considered given how well regarded the 97 series is regarded minus the ending that keeps people wanting more, they at least understood basic concepts like proper editing, scriptwriting, fitting the source material into 30 minute episodes decently, etc while maintaining relatively consistent character designs

That key image once again looks like an OK fan image, I mean god drat, Miura can't catch a break

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just bring back the old team and reboot it from Lost Children and market it as season 2 for all the uninitiated nonmanga people and people would still be excited

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:same:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
*jumps in the thread super excited about hxh talk*

*last page is all just loving berserk musou/berserk discussion*

i refuse to talk about berserk

edit: poo poo whoops

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 27, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

drjuggalo posted:

Wrong hiatus thread. HxH one actually doesn't have "hiatus" in the title anymore, even though it is once again on hiatus.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Vedius Pollio posted:

Key visual for season 2 of the anime dropped today. Just to emphasize, this is supposed to be better looking than the actual anime.

Ha!

Looks like you're a little too early to be pulling April fools pranks around here!

Please say this is a joke,please!

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Why are they loving it up so bad? Can't a competent studio jump on this instead of whoever is making this now?
Madhouse would probably do a good job.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lowest bidders probably

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The characters look...okay, in the way you were just so grateful to see 2D art in Berserk 2016 that it always looked okay in comparison.

It's the cheap-rear end digital effects floating around that elevate this from mediocre to terrible. Like what is that even supposed to be on the bottom? What's that little flame floating near Guts?

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Deified Data posted:

The characters look...okay, in the way you were just so grateful to see 2D art in Berserk 2016 that it always looked okay in comparison.

It's the cheap-rear end digital effects floating around that elevate this from mediocre to terrible. Like what is that even supposed to be on the bottom? What's that little flame floating near Guts?

The eye of the of the berserk armor?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Vedius Pollio posted:

It's wonderful to know that the maximum achievement attained by art in this format is over-shadowing from hair.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Casca's hair looks like it's trying to sidle off of her head.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Dragonslayer looks like a steel support beam with a handle in that picture, that or a big stone pillar.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

The eye of the of the berserk armor?

Jesus that poo poo is iconic and it's a loving smear.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Was anyone actually expecting the next season to be not terrible?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The sad thing is, it does actually look better than the 2016 anime. The bar is that low.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I will admit that, while I'm not naive enough to assume they'd put out something quality or even on par with the 90's anime, I thought a bit of time and experience with the series would lead to at least a marginal increase in quality. It's far fetched but I choose to believe it.

That doesn't mean it'll be good or even watchable, but I'll be watching it nonetheless.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

edit: poo poo whoops

its funny that this is not the first time this has happened

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Harlock posted:

It's Berserk for better or worse. Mainly animation worse.

Did they fix the animation up for the BDs? I'm thinking of binging it when I have time next week.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Vengarr posted:

Did they fix the animation up for the BDs? I'm thinking of binging it when I have time next week.

They apparently fixed a little of the animation, but most of it remains the same.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
This singlehandledly justifies watching the TV anime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUoA0xyW_vc

NWS for bare, poorly animated butt and CLANG

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

I think what just amazes me about the key-visual is how they clearly took the time of day to get all the characters in dynamic, anatomically correct poses, and then they just completely poo poo the bed on not making their faces look weird and hosed up, the part of the piece which the viewer would clearly emotionally resonate with and notice before anything else. The color scheme makes all the characters look incongruous, as though they aren't occupying the same space, and the digital effects look so amateurish it's like something ripped straight out of Deviantart.

At this point the most frustrating thing about Berserk is how unbelievably difficult it is to actually get new people into the series who are on the fence about plodding through a 40 volume manga series. The old anime has aged pretty badly as far as netflix-generation attention spans go. The movies don't really look all that impressive and dumb down the story to the point of unrecognizability, and the new TV anime is the new TV anime. There isn't really any representation of the series I can point someone to outside of the manga that isn't somehow embarrassing. We really need just one good adaptation that isn't twenty years old.

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The people I've talked to like the new movies. I don't know why nerds have to 'get' people into something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

temple posted:

The people I've talked to like the new movies. I don't know why nerds have to 'get' people into something.

People like people they like to like things they like so they can talk about things they like with people they like.