Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Milky Moor posted:

It would've been pretty easy to use the captured Donnager to false flag some attacks on Earth assets, too.

That seems less feasible. Holden's broadcast turned a bunch of heads, and anyone still paying attention would've seen the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never quite understood Protogen's endgame. They didn't seem to know anything about the protomolecule or what it does, just that it's alien an extremely powerful. Their plan was like "secure protomolecule, unleash it on a large contained population, start a war that would most likely cost billions of lives and set humanity back, ??????, golden age of humanity with us as the leaders"

I have no idea what that missing step is and they didn't seem to either but just assumed that clearly once they let it do its thing they'd somehow be the new gods of the solar system. What made them think this other than "mad scientists playing god!!!" trope?

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
they're humans so i'm guessing their game plan was to study it until they figured out a way to profit from it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'll be seeing the results of at least one of their intended plans before the season's out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
An inner system war would be a great smokescreen for diverting attention from your large-scale experiments. MCRN and the UN Navy would be less willing to allocate vital ships and personnel toward going after Protogen assets.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Inspector 34 posted:

I get that they weren't really prepared for the attack and were maybe a little cocky, but the stealth ships didn't seem to have any super advanced weaponry or tactics that should have resulted in a win. I mean the Roci took one out single-handed this season.

Yeah, but that was after Alex did god knows how many training runs that ended with the Roci getting destroyed. The Donnager was completely unprepared.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Kassad posted:

Yeah, but that was after Alex did god knows how many training runs that ended with the Roci getting destroyed. The Donnager was completely unprepared.

And if a single one of those rounds from the battle had gone through Alex instead of empty space, game over for the Roci.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

I've never quite understood Protogen's endgame. They didn't seem to know anything about the protomolecule or what it does, just that it's alien an extremely powerful. Their plan was like "secure protomolecule, unleash it on a large contained population, start a war that would most likely cost billions of lives and set humanity back, ??????, golden age of humanity with us as the leaders"

I have no idea what that missing step is and they didn't seem to either but just assumed that clearly once they let it do its thing they'd somehow be the new gods of the solar system. What made them think this other than "mad scientists playing god!!!" trope?

I'm guessing the "this will make humanity into gods" thing was just a way to convince Protogen to let the scientists have free reign on the experiments. Dresden and Cortazar have been stressing how little they know about the protomolocule itself, let alone what it's capable of. They thought Eros could be secured enough to contain the protomolocule within the station and allow it to do it's thing. Also, I don't think they actually want Earth and Mars to go to war, but they're more than happy to let their sabre rattling cover Protogen's tracks.

If your question is why a group of businessmen are doing something potentially disastrous or even apocalyptic for personal gain, well...

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

404notfound posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but I'm disappointed at the pre-book scenes with Bobbie because they've already demonstrated in season 1 that they can write great pre-book stuff with Avasarala. Normally I would be willing to give a TV adaptation a pass for that, but the Expanse has raised the bar significantly.

I think the issue is that the first book didn't give the Earth perspective. Obviously somebody on Earth was dealing with the Holden situation. It made sense to give that role to Avasarala. What she was doing felt relevant to the overall plot.

Whereas Bobbie, before she becomes relevant to the plot, what could she be doing? She isn't anyone of any importance. She's a cog in the machine. I understand that they wanted to introduce her to get the audience used to her as a character, but by giving her nothing to do other than interact with her crew, she ended up feeling useless.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SimonChris posted:

Why did Protogen attack the Donnager in the first place? What were they planning on doing with if they had taken it?

Steal Martian Intel and kill Holden et al.

The attack was supposed to be a false flag to bring Mars vs. The Belt

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Whereas Bobbie, before she becomes relevant to the plot, what could she be doing? She isn't anyone of any importance. She's a cog in the machine. I understand that they wanted to introduce her to get the audience used to her as a character, but by giving her nothing to do other than interact with her crew, she ended up feeling useless.

Yeah we're introduced to Martian Marines that.... exist? and then we forget about them for a while. Well editing everything together in a coherent way can be tricky - sometimes you have to cut corners.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
it sounds like the plan was to let the protomolecule build some kind of alien supercomputer, then bargain with it for powers

bargain with something that eats humans

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Protogen didn’t know what they were dealing with.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Platystemon posted:

Protogen didn’t know what they were dealing with.

Addendum:
Protogen Hiring Manager: We cover medical, dental, empathy lobe microwaving, and every other Friday is Ice Cream Day!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Addendum:
Protogen Hiring Manager: We cover medical, dental, empathy lobe microwaving, and every other Friday is Ice Cream Day!

Gel round capture the flag day!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bates posted:

Yeah we're introduced to Martian Marines that.... exist? and then we forget about them for a while. Well editing everything together in a coherent way can be tricky - sometimes you have to cut corners.

I wouldn't call those scenes totally useless, though. With respect to the escalating military tensions between Earth and Mars in those episodes, they needed some Martian context to convey how precarious the scenario was. Lopez was high-minded and mission-oriented, but Bobbie and her team are pigheaded warhawk idiots who are totally down to fight. That's an important facet of Martian society to show...if everyone else was like some coolheaded officer, the Cold War tension of it all might not have landed.

Bobbie clearly has nothing to do yet, but they might as well have introduced this POV character earlier rather than later. Otherwise, there aren't really *any* anchor characters on Mars, which becomes weird since Earthers and Belters are so well-represented.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

That's true and well put.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lopez and the donnager martians were creepy in a collectivist way, but it came across well because they were willing to sacrifice themselves for total strangers

bobby and her marines lack that kind of grace

a few notes. new churn podcast with thomas jane, im halfway through, he's a bit kooky, but his heart is in the wrong place. current human institutions and the human condition is incapable of handling explosive technological progress without burning out the ecosystem or nuking everything

also, is there a next episode this week?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Having known meatheads in real life, those scenes aren't my favorite but they aren't inaccurate either.

I'm an outsider looking in and I could tell how much of an "outsider imaging what looking in looks like" they are but they still worked. Dumbass marines can't wait for contact . . . until contact happens. My understanding of the character arc from the poorly spoilered things in this thread is that Marine One's character in the books starts after she's had that initial disastrous first contact where she learns that you aren't actually the hero of some movie or game and that no matter how well prepared you are real people still loving die and that . . . fucks with your mind.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

They couldn't accurately portray Marines on the show because all they do on deployment is endlessly question each other's sexuality and commiting homosexual acts/hazing on each other to prove how non-homosexual they are. Also a lot of wrestling in your tiny green shorts on the floor so that our berthing beneath theirs hears constant banging and yelling while we are trying to sleep goddammit. It's not good for TV or 9 months at sea.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Isn't there the almost exact same type of banter while they are on Gannymede? Before Caliban attempts to rape Miranda?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What? Thomas Jane's heart is in the wrong place because he has Incorrectly Optimistic Political Opinions?

*makes sweeping statements about the doom of mankind as reflected in a sci fi pulp show*

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm gonna miss the Roci drone. gently caress those MSF guys for taking it out.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

The drone got CQBd

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gohmak posted:

Pretty sure they have more.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Cojawfee posted:

Pretty sure they have more.
Yeah, but that drone only had two days left until retirement. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Addendum:

I'm sure those assholes have a slide at their HQ like Google.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a new episode this week? I'm sure I saw in this thread there was a two week break, but my "dvr" says there's a new episode this week.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anything special going on over in the US, or what's with this break?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
TV Guide says there's a new one tomorrow.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Toast Museum posted:

TV Guide says there's a new one tomorrow.

Yeah, not sure where people are getting this two week break from. Next ep is March 1st, which is tomorrow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AlternateAccount posted:

And yeah, this is midseason break. Two weeks to wait :[

Cause the OP said so. Did he abuse his position of trust? Are these claims of a new episode tomorrow just alternative facts?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah, not sure where people are getting this two week break from. Next ep is March 1st, which is tomorrow.

After the last episode the preview was all "LOOK AT WHAT'S COMING UP IN THE REST OF THE SEASON" and not "next week on The Expanse..." so I certainly misinterpreted it. :shrug:

I'm very glad I'm wrong! :dance:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Fair enough. Yeah, don't despair, we get another helping of awesome tomorrow night!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Trump means we'll never have another episode again. Anyone who says differently will be put on a list for unamerican acivities.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So anybody who watches tomorrow night's episode is a member of ISIS? Got it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make the House Un-Ameircan Activities Great Again!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Who gave the Eros hive mind a forums account?

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Inspector 34 posted:

So anybody who watches tomorrow night's episode is a member of Black Sky? Got it.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

That was something in my mind when reading the books. Imagine a side reality where Holden didn't interfere. The war kicks off the unknown protomocule is allowed to do its thing on Eros. It launches to earth. Lands there and... Out pops a billboard, "Interstellar travel getting you down? Eat at Xovos! Home of our galaxy famous Qicdiz!" As Protogen realizes they destroyed any hope of the future for an interstellar ad.

• Locked thread